Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

f you're 60% feeling good about Haskins and 40% feeling iffy, I say you take Chase. But if you're 70% iffy and 30% good ... I'm trading out of #2, and building my future draft capital while simultaneously building the core around Haskins to see if he can succeed.

Expanding on this concept for a moment. Miami gives us #5, #39 and their 3rd, 2021 1st and 2nd.

Re-sign/Tag Scherff. Extend Trent. Bring back Flowers.

Sign Hooper. Sign Bradberry. Sign Tre Boston.

#5 you take the best OT on the board. Let's say Andrew Thomas. Draft Andrew Thomas. Immediately cut Morgan Moses and put Thomas at RT.

Use the 2nd round pick on the top WR, let's assume someone like Tee Higgins falls. Use your 3/3/4/4/5 to go CB, DE, LB, TE, G/C.

You have successfully built an offense around Dwayne that features:

LT Williams --- LG Flowers --- C Roullier + Rookie --- RG Scherff --- RT Thomas

WR: McLaurin, Higgins, Harmon, Sims

TE: Hooper, Rookie

The defense isn't as good, but you've added pieces. If Dwayne balls out you can use those #1s and #2s in 2021 to add some high-caliber players on defense and maybe another impact offensive player. If Dwayne sucks, you still have some talent that has been added on offense, and you are in position to trade your 2021 assets for a QB like Fields.

This is possibly where (IF Detroit wanted either Tua or Burrow, whoever is left over after Cincy takes one) we could draft the QB left and trade the QB to Detroit for their 2nd/3rd round pick.  We get their #3 overall and take Young.  That's the only way I see us trading out of #2.

33 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Oh man, I’m quickly converting to drafting a QB at #2. I think i want Tua. :headbang:

I want whatever they want.   😀

They were just debating it on NFL Network some more.  If its all BS as some here suspect or sincere as others suspect -- it's certainly making the rounds.   

Garafalo said Rivera talked to a Carolina reporter who asked him you had a franchise QB in Carolina, it doesn't sound like you have one now?  He said well we got a good young player  Garafalo then kicked in about hearing about the work ethic concerns he's heard about Haskins and suggested he thought it was a good sign for Rivera referencing Haskins being in the building a lot. 

4 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

maybe they are shopping Stafford behind the scenes.. this was posted 2/14

“The fact that Kelly posted that before our report tells us things were going behind the scenes, and our sources later confirmed it,” WDIV said.

image.gif

Stafford to the Chargers for their 2nd + makes a lot of sense. #6 is too rich to send to Detroit though. Detroit then trades either their 2nd or LAC 2nd to us for #2. Takes Tua/Burrow. Yes, you take a 1 year cap hit on Stafford, but you really don't lose draft capital and reset the position for years to come. Would all-but guarantee that Herbert falls to the Dolphins at 5. And it's a win/win for all. Chargers nail an OT at #6 to protect Stafford.

What I like most is that a lot of people are at least more open about it.

We all have our favorites (I see you, Isaiah "The Pterodactyl" Simmons), but nothing is set in stone in the NFL. And smart fans and front offices understand that.

I'd love Chase Young. I'd love Tua Tago whatever. I'd love The Pterodactyl. I'd like BarrOKUDAH. I love making awesome nicknames. 

This is how the best convos happen. Thank you, ES, for being open. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What I like most is that a lot of people are at least more open about it.

We all have our favorites (I see you, Isaiah "The Pterodactyl" Simmons), but nothing is set in stone in the NFL. And smart fans and front offices understand that.

I'd love Chase Young. I'd love Tua Tago whatever. I'd love The Pterodactyl. I'd like BarrOKUDAH. I love making awesome nicknames. 

This is how the best convos happen. Thank you, ES, for being open. 

The most disheartening part of this thread is seeing I’ve lost Chase Young to Sip & Isaiah Simmons to you. I need to look for love elsewhere... and I dare not go near Gaither, I know he’s your safety school crush. 

The conversation has taken a pleasant turn away from the contentious path it  seemed to be on not so long ago. The further we get from the 2019 season, the more our hearts heal.

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The most disheartening part of this thread is seeing I’ve lost Chase Young to Sip & Isaiah Simmons to you. I need to look for love elsewhere... and I dare not go near Gaither, I know he’s your safety school crush. 

The conversation has taken a pleasant turn away from the contentious path it  seemed to be on not so long ago. The further we get from the 2019 season, the more our hearts heal.

We can share Simmons. But please do not intrude on Akeem.

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The most disheartening part of this thread is seeing I’ve lost Chase Young to Sip

Though me agreeing to your QB point about an elite QB's must come first might have jeopardized my Chase credentials with some -- so now I'll have to scramble to regain my stature with the Chase crowd. 😀   I do think I might be the first one to say on the record that I wouldn't trade down if they can land Chase and did it fairly early in the college season and now there are full threads going on that topic, so maybe I've earned just that small corner of the Chase Young hype.

You can steal though some of my WR and CB picks on that thread, I have plenty.  😀   

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Instead, I read that Dwayne doesn't really watch football because he doesn't love it. Which is okay, but it puts you way behind the 8-ball. 

Another classic Haskins quote - that actually came out of his own mouth - something along the lines of "I like football but not THAT much, I prefer to watch netflix when im not in the building".  If Tua is there, you take Tua - but anyone expecting to get a 2nd round pick out of a guy that has known attitude and work ethic issues and put up a pathetic 27 QBR last year is out of their minds - you keep him on his rookie contract as a cheap backup/insurance policy for Tua.  Right now my guess we would be looking at a 4th or so to unload him.

Obviously Rivera's comments carry great weight, not just bringing in Tua but also Burrow. The whole world assumes the Bengals will take Burrow with the first overall pick, but should something else happen, the Redskins will have done their homework on the Heisman Trophy winner. 

But if Burrow is gone, will the Redskins actually draft Tagovailoa? Asked specifically if meeting with Tua was just due diligence, Rivera was unequivocal. 

"No," the coach said. "Talking to Tua is you talk to Tua, which I’ve had an opportunity to."

So what does all of this mean for Haskins? Since he took over in Washington, Rivera has made no promises to the second-year Ohio State product other than competition at the quarterback position. Wednesday did mark Rivera's most positive comments about Haskins since taking over as head coach though. 

"I think we have a very good young player," Rivera said on Haskins. He expanded:

The more we break down, the more we learn about him, I think it puts us in a pretty good spot. I am excited about him. One thing that I have seen is his commitment. He’s been around a lot. When I make my rounds during the day and I’ll walk by the weight room, there he is. I walk by the locker room, there he is. That to me is a sign of a young man that is learning he needs to be around. 

Let's be clear about a few things: The pre-draft process is often a battle to create leverage against other NFL teams. With the second overall pick and a roster full of holes, the Redskins want, if not need, that leverage. 

Bringing in Burrow and Tua for meetings create leverage, but at this point, watching and listening to Ron Rivera, it would seem foolish to assume the meetings are solely about leverage. 

Rivera is known for telling the truth, and he also mentioned that the team will bring in Ohio State defensive end Chase Young for meetings. It's entirely possible, if not likely, the Redskins still end up taking Young with the second pick. 

Keep this in mind, however, as Rivera has a pristine reputation around the NFL. Players love him for being honest and direct. It might be lying season in the NFL, but Rivera is a different beast. He's not taking meetings just for show. The new Redskins organization is about detail and character, and Rivera is just starting to show his cards. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/due-diligence-or-not-redskins-meet-joe-burrow-and-tua-tagovailoa?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

@KDawg I’m behind a bit on the thread, but you brought up a scenario I was thinking regarding Chase vs Tua - seeing if Detroit wants to move up and then taking whoever they don’t.  
I’m firmly in the Chase over Tua camp ATM, but Tua plus something like a 3rd and a future 1st?  Well...

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Uh oh.  How can Haskins be in two places at once?

1) He's hired doppelgangers

2) He's cloned himself

3) He's using the time turner thingy from Harry Potter

4) Doc Brown has recruited Haskins as his whacky sidekick and hijinks are about to ensue.  Is there a DeLorean parked outside?

Until we get to the bottom of this issue, how can we trust Haskins?  What secrets does he hide?

He is faster than he lets on. First player to run a negative 4.4 40??

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not that Casserly is the be all and end all to say the least but he was just on NFL Network, his comments:

A. He'd take Chase Young.

B.  if you believe Tua is a better QB than Haskins, you take him, simple as that.  

so does this mean he thinks Tua isn’t better than Haskins? Given he’d take Chase Young?

however, I think it probably is that simple. If we think Tua is a better option at QB over Haskins, you take him.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Tua is 100% healthy I do want to be on record saying I want Tua > Burrow. And if Tua goes #1 to the Bengals, I actually do not want any part of Burrow at #2. He's 23, his one big year of production was on a team surrounded by some major NFL talent, and he was beat out by our own QB in college who is a year younger than him and has been on the team for a year already.

Hard No on Joe.

I agree.

I would rather have Haskins + Young rather than going with Burrow.

This is all a smoke screen for two reasons:

1) Rivera wants to see what the max he could get for #2 is

2) If someone comes in and blows Cincy away for #1 (for Young) or Cincy themselves take Young, you still want to create this image that you're going to take a QB at 2. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Yes.

I think he could show glimpses earlier, but still be prone to mistakes he hasn't physically experienced because he's not a film junkie. Now, if that changed, maybe he's ready earlier. I'd feel better if I read he spent the offseason watching tape of other quarterbacks and seeing so many different situations. Watching film sometimes isn't even about who you watch, it's about watching as much as you can to understand scenarios. And then play out in your head how you'd get through them.

Instead, I read that Dwayne doesn't really watch football because he doesn't love it. Which is okay, but it puts you way behind the 8-ball. 

There is ALWAYS room for improvement, especially for a guy who had success in college and has some tremendous physical ability. 

Of course, what I think doesn't matter. And the guys that are around Dwayne and Dwayne know his commitment level. If they were all comfortable, I'd believe them. They don't seem to be. That isn't reassuring. 

Yeah, we're clearly light years apart when it comes to Dwayne or how we judge QBs in general....at least to some extent. 😀

Archived