Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

For whatever it's worth:scott.JPG.55974e37136511ba52f77f0baa353fc8.JPG

But then he just blows up my optimism with this ****:

josh.JPG.eac3f31ffedebfe6abee1f7ce709ff43.JPG

I suppose the question could have been a bit less direct. I mean Scot saying No in a public forum could be a bit damaging to Doctson's career. So I take this one with a grain of salt. But damn does it minimize his answer about Haskins.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 PM, volsmet said:

Looks more like a Tannehill to me, but I like the comparison.

Jones doesn’t have the arm that Tannehill has. He’s got talent though - he played well last season. 

He has to deal with pressure better and drastically cut down on the turnovers (these two things being linked!) to be a good starter though.

Can we get passed the point that we take Mc seriously on social media?

He says what he has to in order to protect himself and the guys he believes in. He's a walking positive PR machine at the moment.

Haskins, in my opinion, CAN be upgraded. But the risk to do so is quite high and ultimately may fail. With our situation, in the moment, I think you ride with Haskins with a veteran QB who can compete for the starting role. He's very capable of being a decent NFL QB and with the right pieces around him that's all you need. Anything beyond decent is bonus. And I think Haskins could absolutely be decent, if not better.

I'd be surprised if a guy was brought in on a big deal (can't afford) to take over the job.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, joeken24 said:

For whatever it's worth:

But then he just blows up my optimism with this ****:

I suppose the question could have been a bit less direct. I mean Scot saying No in a public forum could be a bit damaging to Doctson's career. So I take this one with a grain of salt. But damn does it minimize his answer about Haskins.

Honestly, I believe Scot got lucky w a couple drafts in San Fran and he’s been living off the rep since.  
He sucks.

29 minutes ago, mojo said:

Honestly, I believe Scot got lucky w a couple drafts in San Fran and he’s been living off the rep since.  
He sucks.

This is false.  He was a big part of acquiring the talent for the Seattle dynasty in the early part of the previous decade.  Hell, he wrote the scouting report that led to them drafting Russell Wilson.  How has Seattle performed in the draft since he left that organization?  I'll give you a hint... among the worst in the league.

Everyone has misses.  When it comes to Doctson, Bruce was foolishly planning to let D Jax and Garcon both go in FA the next season so we knew we had to reach on a WR in the 1st round.  

Scott has a serious drinking problem, which is why he's currently unemployed (though I think he still has clients for his scouting service).  But if he were sober and could prove it was permanent, there would be teams lining up to make him their GM.

“How to study, diet, his workout regimen, and how to get family acclimated into the NFL,” Reid said, via NBCSportsWashington. “Pat couldn’t pay Alex enough for what he taught him.”

Colin Kaepernick and Nick Foles also sat behind Smith before leading a team to a Super Bowl.

Mahomes got the Chiefs to the Super Bowl in his third season, his second as a starter. Smith’s presence in 2017, perhaps, sped up that process for Mahomes and the Chiefs.

“It gave me a blueprint, and it was something that helped me out a lot early in my career,” Mahomes said. “Just knowing what film I need to watch on what day and how to go out there and practice the right way.”

10 hours ago, mojo said:

He sucks.

Perception is often reality. So regardless of luck or living off reps, he's reputable. How many players and celebrities are living off a moment? We've got one playing CB for us. Can you guess his name?

10 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Anyone know what he is doing this offseason? Hanging with a mentor I hope.

I honestly hope hes taking a break.  Last year was a very rough season for him, coach didnt want him, took forever to make plan to develop him, then when he finally got it right he had a season ending injury.

I'm perfectly fine with him taking a minute to recharge before getting back at it.  He has plenty of mentors, the question is what's Rivera's telling him he should do and is he doing it?

I’m curious what positions people would prioritize to help Haskins moving forward.  
As he got comfortable, his numbers were pretty impressive when not under pressure, so pass pro (oline, blocking TEs, backs that can protect) becomes pretty paramount.  

He showed he could get the ball out quickly, so pass catchers that can get off the LOS and can separate quickly would help.  

A good pass catching TE can be a qb’s best friend.  I like Hentges as a run blocker (and I like what I’ve read about his receiving from Colt’s camp, as well as how he showed vs Dallas), but he and Sprinkle don’t move the needle much as of yet.  A TE that is a mismatch is a big chess piece.  

A good run game can take a lot of pressure off of a qb.  With that said, I don’t see Haskins as the game manager type that you don’t want throwing the ball much ala Dilfer, etc.  Wouldn’t hurt of course.  If you can really lean on a ground game, you can demoralize opponents, play a backup qb if needed, stay ahead of the sticks, etc.  

A defense that can get the ball back to our offense, and keep scoring down, that will help any qb.  Takes the pressure off of Haskins to avoid mistakes and, inversely, allows Haskins to take some chances. 

Obviously, we all want to tick all of the boxes above... but with the team as it’s constructed, what are your top priorities?  
Or, do you look at it more from a team building POV?  Ie. let’s focus on 1) ‘finishing’ units that are close, 2) upgrading our weakest areas, or 3) units that help us win in the division or even in December/January?).  

Haskins needs an O-line at least for now (I mean we always want one, but we need a very good one). For now he is still very slow processing what is happening and it let to a lot sacks and late throws. 

Now getting a whole offseason under his belt as the guy should help with the processing aspect, the other thing he needs to work on is accuracy/anticipation. In his 7 starts he had a 59% completion percentage which is terrible in today's NFL. For reference, Kyler Murray was over 64% this year, and he had an unbelievably bad offensive line.

And Daniel Jones was at 62%. Haskins definitely has to improve here

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m curious what positions people would prioritize to help Haskins moving forward.  
As he got comfortable, his numbers were pretty impressive when not under pressure, so pass pro (oline, blocking TEs, backs that can protect) becomes pretty paramount.  

Huge proponent of keeping the whole Oline together providing that unit the opportunity to flourish together over the next three year window. This makes too much sense to with the new regime and the supreme value placed on dominating the trenches. It will be costly, but as I’ve mentioned in other postings, the cap seems to be there to over indulge in securing what hopefully would be great Oline with the pedigree of three top 10 talents (Williams, Scherff, and Flowers).

In most cases, value for a unit or player differs from coach to coach or FO to FO— Meaning, I believe Rivera and company would maximize the value of a strong veteran Oline unit even at a “high cost”, due to it aligning with his philosophy to dominate in the trenches and run the football. 

He showed he could get the ball out quickly, so pass catchers that can get off the LOS and can separate quickly would help.  

His arm talent and release provides those extra milliseconds for quick screens and shorter passes allowing guys to get extra YAC on these type of extension of the run game through The pass game.

A good pass catching TE can be a qb’s best friend.  I like Hentges as a run blocker (and I like what I’ve read about his receiving from Colt’s camp, as well as how he showed vs Dallas), but he and Sprinkle don’t move the needle much as of yet.  A TE that is a mismatch is a big chess piece.  

It did seem Haskins tried to give Sprinkle a fair amount of opportunities, but that tailed off a bit when Sprinkle seemed to prove his limitations. 

A good run game can take a lot of pressure off of a qb.  With that said, I don’t see Haskins as the game manager type that you don’t want throwing the ball much ala Dilfer, etc.  Wouldn’t hurt of course.  If you can really lean on a ground game, you can demoralize opponents, play a backup qb if needed, stay ahead of the sticks, etc.  

Haskins early on seems to have the ability to limit the TOs, but too early to tell. 

I agree, it would shock me if he was a Dilfer type ever in his career, due to how he’s wired. He appears to be the type of QB that leaves his imprints on a game/you feel his presence. Not like a Cousins or Alex Smith— not a bad thing; his floor may be lower, but his ceiling will hopefully be one of a game changer. 

No matter the team or goals next year I see Haskins complimenting the run game as much as it does him or he struggles. 

A defense that can get the ball back to our offense, and keep scoring down, that will help any qb.  Takes the pressure off of Haskins to avoid mistakes and, inversely, allows Haskins to take some chances.

This is an interesting factor, if the defense is average or below he will be in position to achieve better stats potentially, but if the defense is top ten or great, then his production may suffer. That would require us to look beyond the stats lol which is always great for debate as subjectivity reigns supreme. 

A good defense is helpful to any QB, hopefully that will be the case. 

**I will continue to post and post about wanting to get Haskins speed, speed, and more speed at the WR spot. Love that Terry and Sims (hopefully) are locked in as starters providing two game breakers that compliment Haskins well. Terry already projects to be more than a speed guy, so he can take role of both a chains mover and deep threat. Add another 4.3 type to the unit and I’ll be thrilled. 

54 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Now getting a whole offseason under his belt as the guy should help with the processing aspect, the other thing he needs to work on is accuracy/anticipation. In his 7 starts he had a 59% completion percentage which is terrible in today's NFL. For reference, Kyler Murray was over 64% this year, and he had an unbelievably bad offensive line.

A competent TE and tackle play alone would help this enormously with no improvement from Haskins. 

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Haskins needs an O-line at least for now (I mean we always want one, but we need a very good one). For now he is still very slow processing what is happening and it let to a lot sacks and late throws. 

This is good points that I didn’t mention.  While he did make some quicker decisions in later games (I think this was play calling related about as much as ‘growth’) he did hold the ball too long at times and ate a good amount of sacks because of it.  As you say, faster processing can help, as well as play calling, but I’d add 1) an oline that can keep him clean a tick longer and pass catchers that can separate quickly.  

Tying into your second point about accuracy... pass catchers that can separate enough that Haskins doesn’t have to hit a “spot only the receiver can get to it” type of throw, and guys with good hands and a large catch radius could make a significant difference.  I’d love to add Tee Higgins or Denzel Mims for this reason - big catch radius, and good hands/body control and speed.  

@wit33 Good post and very good points.  I agree that Oline is likely the number one priority for Rivera.  

I wonder if time with McCaffrey (both Rivera and Turner) makes this a spot they want to address more than most on here do.  I know Rivera seems to like Guice (who seems to fit as a pretty dangerous runner/receiver), but availability is a major concern there.  

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

1. Comfort with the new system and the system being tailored around what he does well.

2. O’Line. He moved better than I think most people expected and showed good pocket presence later in the year - but he’s a pocket passer. He needs good protection. We have two starting guards who are free agents, a huge question mark at LT, a guy at RT who is a sub standard starter (IMO) and a decent centre who could be upgraded. Getting this position group set will be key to everything on offense.

3. Add quality targets at TE and a 3rd down back (Love might be the 3rd down back but he’s got to show he’s healthy). 

4. Add another good vet WR. McLaurin is the #1. Harmon did well down the stretch and he may develop and win the #2 job but he’s probably a #4 on a really good group and I’d like to see someone brought in who gives us another quality target outside.

5. Throw more on first down. First down is the best and easiest down to pass on. It’s a down the offense can dictate what the defense does and their personnel. You get to dictate matchups. This along with use of play action make life (and reads!) much easier for any QB but especially a young QB. 

6. Work on his mechanics - he got a lot better with feet and eyes being in synch as he got more comfortable and his accuracy improved as well. I do think his elbow being so low in his motion could be worked on - when he misses he tends to miss high and I think that’s why.

7. Commit to him. Provided he puts the work in and commits back thus should be his team going into next season. Put the time in with him and give him the opportunity to take this and run.

8. Give him a defense who can get off the field and give him the ball back. We don’t want him having to be in shoot outs with last team with the ball win games too often.

6 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

To be honest, the slower processing at the moment shouldn't surprise anyone. It's something (along with his mechanics) that I figured he'd struggle with at first. It has nothing to do with him personally, but more a factor of just how little starting experience he has as well as coming from a college offense that was pretty simple in its plays and reads. But he does seem to be a guy who can improve pretty quickly. He did so visibly during his season as OSU and did the same with his last couple of starts this past season for the Skins. 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Love the posts about Alex being the QB who helped Mahomes, Foles and Kaepernick to the Super Bowl....let him work with DH. With all of the banter we fans do over everything Redskins, Haskins is the most important....I hope Alex can do the same for DH.

The way Smith is wired he’ll feel indebted to the Skins for years to come, should be many years of free mentorship lol

On 1/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Everyone has misses.  When it comes to Doctson, Bruce was foolishly planning to let D Jax and Garcon both go in FA the next season so we knew we had to reach on a WR in the 1st round.  

Scott has a serious drinking problem, which is why he's currently unemployed (though I think he still has clients for his scouting service).  But if he were sober and could prove it was permanent, there would be teams lining up to make him their GM.

Seems like a bit of revisionist history on Doctson (and Jackson/Garcon). First, Bruce wasn't specifically in charge of player personal at the time. That was Scott's role. Not that Bruce had zero input, but no specific decision had been made on Garcon or Jackson at that time. Nor was it "obvious" either would leave. Financially it would be difficult to keep both and one had to question how smart it would be to re-sign old WRs to big money. In the end, both did leaver. Though reports suggest the Redskins made a bona fide effort to keep Jackson. Neither Garcon or Jackson lived up to their third contracts however, so letting both go was the right decision (Garcon in particular was a pretty big bust). So if you want to blame Bruce for it, then letting Garcon/Jackson leave was actually a win. Weird to say, but true.

Also interesting is the fact that many fans ****ed and moaned about the team taking Docston as most felt WR was by far the best position on the team. Not only JAckson and Garcon, but Crowder was also around. It was actually an example of decent planning, given the contract status and age of the WR core. But it was not like Doctson was some crazy reach either. He was considered good value by most draft gurus. In fact, when the Skins came up to pick, only one WR had been drafted to that point (Corey Coleman). The next three picks ended up being WRs - Will Fuller, Doctson, and Laquon Treadwell. Unfortunately 3/4 first rounders were busts, with Fuller being decent whenever he's actually healthy. so it was a bad pick in the end, but not exactly crazy (or forced) at the time

Archived