Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I don't think on field production is the only pitfall. To put it simply, especially with this franchise and in this city, the politics play more of a role than we give it credit for. 

Economics may play a role too. We just paid Keenum 18 million bucks for a one year rental. Must be tough to chew the idea of paying a guy 18m for one year to sit on his butt. Yeah, there is pressure to show off the first round draft prize, but the reality is the Redskins have two first year quarterbacks to unwrap this year.

Therein lies the biggest problem. In many respects, Case Keenum is a rookie QB in this system. How long will it take him to get acclimated. I don't expect him to be ready on game one either. It takes time for even vet quarterbacks to feel comfortable and get in the groove.

This whole QB in the first round is exciting, nerve racking, butterfly givin, highly anticipating type stuff. Alot of riff raff round these parts on rather he should start or sit respectfully so of course. We all know there's only one people that can make that decision and that's the Redskins(who you and I choose to be a fan of..and that's all we're able to be is fans)coaching staff. There will be alot of tension between the(only fans)fans on rather he should still be sitting or should be starting. Of course this wonderful place is meant for all the chit chat about the situation, I just hope it don't break us all apart more than it has. Try to remember to let go n let God.

34 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Economics may play a role too. We just paid Keenum 18 million bucks for a one year rental. Must be tough to chew the idea of paying a guy 18m for one year to sit on his butt. Yeah, there is pressure to show off the first round draft prize, but the reality is the Redskins have two first year quarterbacks to unwrap this year.

Therein lies the biggest problem. In many respects, Case Keenum is a rookie QB in this system. How long will it take him to get acclimated. I don't expect him to be ready on game one either. It takes time for even vet quarterbacks to feel comfortable and get in the groove.

Both good points I haven't even tried to consider yet. Case could be a slow learner and im not sure how similar this system is to what he ran before. I haven't even tried to look. In this though I think he will benefit from his mobility....as he does know NFL speed, been successful in it, and has used his legs well to get out of trouble. I still think he has an edge over Haskins, but it may not be enough to hold the kid back. 

You dont pay a dude 18 mil to be a backup if you can avoid it. 

33 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Try to remember to let go n let God.

This is good advice that literally zero redskins fans will follow lol. We are a crazy fan base but thats part of the gig I guess lol

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Why would a #15 overall pick at QB be beating the odds to succeed? 

You haven't watched any of him since we took him? Surprised, given how strong your QB opinions are. 

I watched a few highlight videos on him recently but I haven't seen him play a game, I am looking forward to it.  Every rookie quarterback bucks the odds to become a successful starter in the NFL, most fail.  It doesn't matter whether they are the overall #1 pick or taken later in the first round it is tough to successfully transition from college to playing QB in the NFL.  Redskin picks over the last few decades illustrate my point.  Hopefully, Haskins will kill it for a least a decade in DC.

14 hours ago, Art said:

Reid is a chocolate chip cookie guy too, but that doesn't make them better than Oreos.   They are, of course.   I hope Reid's right about Haskins being the guy to bring in a new day for us at that position.   I'm certainly not going to say he's wrong.  

Chocolate chip guy?  Oreos?  What do you mean?

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hi Dwayne Haskins this is bakedtater1,

I'm hoping things work out for ya here, I'm excited to see what ya can do for this franchise. While you're here I was wondering if you could start a new trend? Please refuse to exchange jerseys with opposing teams players.. especially them pesky cowgirls vagiants and pheagels. Try to encourage your fellow teammate's to do the same. That's all, thank you good night 😊

Or agree to the exchange, take a few steps back, light a blow torch and burn the enemy’s jersey to cinders right in front of him. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Economics may play a role too. We just paid Keenum 18 million bucks for a one year rental. Must be tough to chew the idea of paying a guy 18m for one year to sit on his butt. 

18 mil? I thought we split the 7 million with denver?

16 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I watched a few highlight videos on him recently but I haven't seen him play a game

If you are interested I can forward you some links to his games last season. Of interest (imo) are the ones against Michigan who many thought had the best pass D in the game. He shredded them. It was sick. And the other is his worst game against Purdue. Gives you a good sense of what you will get from him. Hes good at anticipation and when it works like it should hes baby Tom Brady but when hes off and hes moving too fast hes legitimately a concern as he forces the issue. Purdue got in his ass. He ripped Michigan a new one. 

Let me know if interested. 

2 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

18 mil? I thought we split the 7 million with denver?

Maybe we did. I pulled the number out of memory. Still, even 11m is a lot of money to leave sitting on the bench for a one year rental. 

I just hope what’s best for the long as well as immediate future is done. If Haskins is the best QB right now, but could still benefit from not starting... I’m okay with that. If he’s the best both physically and mentally then send him out. 

18 million?? Where did you get that number from?  I’m pretty sure Skins are only paying him 3.5 mill.

Either way, I think it’s a good idea to sit Haskins this season (or at least half, depending on how they play) and work on his mechanics and learn the system.

We're paying Keenum 3.5 million.  Almost the exact same as Colt McCoy.  That was on purpose.  Even before the Haskins pick, it was supposed to be an open competition between McCoy and Keenum for the #1 job.  Same salary, same journeyman status, etc.

Economics are heavily into Haskins favor for the starting role.

I get the sense that those who have already decided they want Haskins to sit for X games, are saying that because that is what we have often heard is best for young QBs, and thus it should be good for him, too. He is young, he should sit, dammit.  Because, that's what Uncle Joe would do. Joe Gibbs.

Just as those that say we want him to start week 1, its because we want to see our shiny new toy, and feel the potential career ruining Heath Shuler in the headlights moments he will face, is inevitable. Week 1 or week 5 - everyone knows the DC that week WILL tee off on the new guy.  I push back at the idea that its safe to assume Haskins will be better prepared if we make him sit. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.  The run game may vanish by then. Injuries will happen.  Anxiety may set in. Jay may get fired for not playing him. Who the hell knows. What happens in every game is chaotic and it's why we love the game.

I remain steadfast in thinking Jay's playing call is a MUCH bigger factor, than anything else. He can call all new plays implemented that week, or call OSU's go to plays.  Let's say he calls the first play like he did for Alex in preseason, were Alex got NAILED.  Contrast that to calling, run AP, run AP, short quick pass for Dwayne.  He could call Max protect (somewhere, Gibbs is smiling), or bunch everyone in tight and call his fav long slow developing play, where every WR runs 1 yard down field, and then 30 yards sideways. Throw the kid into full chaos with 21 guys within 10 yards of him presnap, or go 5 wide. He could call a quick 3 step drop deep loft fade, or a traditional 7 step drop to the exact same Henry "First Down!" Ellard deep out spot. And hope the OL holds up, and that the D doesn't blitz. Will Jay throw an Al Saunders sized playbook at him, or a slimmed down new QB friendly version. Who knows.

Maybe sitting a QB is not about the QB at all, and we are all wrong. Its about testing the OL, run game, and pass protection; Jay gaining trust in those, first. Learning tendencies of DCs.  The thing is, those are dynamic, and can and will vary wildly from game to game.  That is the nature of the NFL. A DC can play bend don't break for a few weeks, lull Jay to sleep, and then go cover 0 full red dog blitz on a rookie QB in his first start.  No amount of sitting for a few weeks will change how Haskins reacts to that, only delay it. And delay learning from it.  

I am super excited to see the kid play.  We're back, folks!  Our annual sense of false hope is upon us, once again.

Or agree to the exchange, take a few steps back, light a blow torch and burn the enemy’s jersey to cinders right in front of him. 

Well..ok...a little over the top but this is extreme skins sooo ya totally agree lol

My two cents..if he starts week 1 than the coaches felt it was the right thing..keep my fingers crossed for the best..

If he doesn't start than just get into Redskins football regardless who's behind center and cheer em on..if the QB at the time is playing good winning games than ya keep the rookie on the bench..even if it's all season.. well than things might start to get real weird..

Play pretend keenum starts..unless of course if Colt sucking from the teat miraculously heals and wins the starting job...so say Colt/keenum starts and just plays on fire all season the skins win 11-12 games mainly from excellent qb play go to playoffs win division wins a playoff game than what for 2020?...THAN WHAT?

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm pretty sure any true blue bleeding burgundy and gold skins fan has plenty of Snyder hate already running through it.

As it should. One look at the stands is evident of what he's done to this franchise.

On 5/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Sally smh...

It’s not so much a question of whether the New York Giants “messed up” by passing on Haskins and picking Daniel Jones instead. Chances are, both teams made the wrong choice.

Sally gets a lot of heat for raining on our parades but she's no dummy.  You may not agree with her but in three years we may all look back and say that every team "done messed up" in drafting a first-round QB this year.  Two (Murray and Haskins) were only one year starters.  That's an important factor that can't be overlooked.  We hope for the best but we really can't be sure that the success in college will carry over to the next level.  Denver and Miami can both move on next year and still go after a QB if it goes bad with Rosen and Lock - essentially both second rounders.  The Cards, Giants, and Redskins are pretty much locked in for 2 - 3 years.  Unless they end up with a Schuler, Gabbert or Jake Locker type disaster.

Kyler Murray is a freak athlete but he's not a big guy.  He's going to have to run with the Card's O-line and that increases potential for injury.  Michael Vick was awesome - when he could stay on the field - and that was the problem.  Everyone is fast in the NFL so he will get hit.  DC's will make their defenses play him honest by keeping him in the pocket.  Make him prove that he can find windows to throw thru (like Drew Brees).  If he can't then he's really going to struggle.  The RPO's are less effective now in the NFL because teams are going with more athletic DE's who can feather; not just rush in like a charging bull (think Ryan Kerrigan 🙄) but penetrate just enough to be able to react to the give or the keep.  And many of them have the hips to make a play on either the QB or the RB.  

Haskins has the size but we don't know about his maneuverability in the pocket at the NFL level.  Although I think he has the football acumen to make up for some of those shortcomings.  He started off with the Darin Slack academy which is probably the best in the country for a young QB in preparing them for the next level.  They are big on working thru progressions (1st, 2nd, 3rd, hot route, and finally escape).  If he gets a clean pocket then I'm very confident he could light it up.  But, based on past performance, the Redskin's O-line (for all the pub they get for being great) has demonstrated a bad habit of giving up quick pressures even when healthy.  And how often have we seen them stay healthy? 

Daniel Jones seems a lot like Case Keenum to me.  A smart kid who will most likely have a career as a journeyman.  He probably won't lose many games but I doubt he will win many games either.  Out of the three first rounders I'd say he has the weakest arm and without Murray's speed that will probably hold him back; he won't be running over many NFL defenders.  You have to be able to hit that deep bench route in the NFL or the DB will just play an inside shade and dare the QB to throw it outside.  Both safetys will be able to set on the hash giving Jones no choice but to throw the ball outside - resulting in picks or pass break ups.  The giants will have to run a lot of mesh routes and crossers to stretch the field horizontally but fast LB's can negate that. 

I'm happy the Redskins didn't trade up and it's very possible that Sweat is the guy we're most high on from the 2019 draft 3 years from now.  Not that I believe Haskins will be a major bust - I just don't trust the Redskins under Snyder to sustain success.  I'll always feel that way until he proves us wrong. Snyder needs a winner and fast.  Will he allow the coaches to determine when Haskins takes the field or will he pressure them to rush him into the lineup without a reasonable chance to succeed? 

I could be very wrong and I truly hope I am.  I want Haskins to succeed.  He has to succeed!  Otherwise, that sets this franchise back again for at least a couple years.  He's in a very difficult spot.  He shouldn't be in too much of a hurry because this league is very good at eating its young.  However, he can wait too long because Trent Williams and Moses don't 't have 3 more years to wait on a QB.  He had one year to get his bachelor's degree in College QB play and now he's expected to start his Masters vs NFL DC's who love messing with a rookie's head. 

God bless and best of luck kid!

I just want to say thank you for the wealth of opinion, debate and discussion here since the draft. Haskins ( HaSKINS! It's right there in the name fercrissakes!) has already gotten the fanbase out of its doldrums and reengaged, pro and con, in a way I wouldn't have bet $2 on happening two weeks ago.

I don't have a clue what will happen but I am looking forward to finding out. I was NOT looking forward to this season TBH, there was little to hope for, but now? I'll take a lil hope, fits the whole spring thing goin' on

And for me, I'm behind his family and their enterprise in marketing him. They are local and know exactly how the media and fans can chew a player up. 

21 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I just want to say thank you for the wealth of opinion, debate and discussion here since the draft. Haskins ( HaSKINS! It's right there in the name fercrissakes!) has already gotten the fanbase out of its doldrums and reengaged, pro and con, in a way I wouldn't have bet $2 on happening two weeks ago.

I don't have a clue what will happen but I am looking forward to finding out. I was NOT looking forward to this season TBH, there was little to hope for, but now? I'll take a lil hope, fits the whole spring thing goin' on

And for me, I'm behind his family and their enterprise in marketing him. They are local and know exactly how the media and fans can chew a player up. 

Yeah, I was skeptical of the notion about the fanbase being re-engaged from drafting Haskins.  But, it really has.  I see more Skins gear walking around the city than before.  This forum has had livelier conversation than before.

What kind of merchandise potential is there right now?  Haskins + Redskins = Skins2

There's gotta be some juicy t-shirts someone can cook up for this combo.

D

W

HA SKINS

Y

N

E

someone who isn't a tech retard like me design something on that general premise above :806:

edit - version two...with a #7 sweeping across from the right hand side...

3 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Honestly, I don't think anyone fully appreciates how tough the DMV can be on a person.  My advice would be to keep a low profile until you get that Super Bowl win. 

I keep reading that faith is very important to his family.  I would go with a biblical approach.

Proverbs 27:2  Let another praise you, and not your own mouth—
a stranger, and not your own lips.

7:00 to 11:45 specifically. 

This is what I'm referring to when I say there are things the kid needs to learn before he is thrown out to the wolves. 

His footwork, follow up, and spin needs a little improvement. 

It ain't gonna be like Ohio state where his protection is way better than the opposing defense. They will exploit the issues in his game and it will lead to problems with accuracy.

All fixable though. 

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Play pretend keenum starts..unless of course if Colt sucking from the teat miraculously heals and wins the starting job...so say Colt/keenum starts and just plays on fire all season the skins win 11-12 games mainly from excellent qb play go to playoffs win division wins a playoff game than what for 2020?...THAN WHAT?

Then what, you say? Well, then I’ll just be waking up from my dream 😂😂 

i hope that dream of ours somehow comes true though! Wouldn’t that be sweet :D 

Archived