Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

There's a part of me that attributes this reaction to Haskins' missing of the final kneel down as a symptom of the fans' over-negativity. Everything has to be talked about or understood from the most negative light possible. It's like Eeyore on steroids.

This is a "shaking of the head" kind of goof. It's a chuckle about it and call him a moron and drop it kind of goof. It's hardly a five-pager, but there's something in the broken psyche of the Redskins' fan that needs to be this negative. I suppose it's because if we didn't fixate on this missed kneel down, we'd have to acknowledge a gritty (if pretty bad) performance and one of our better defensive efforts. In fact, we'd have to talk about a win and that would allow some sunshine on our soul.

At any rate, the kid got his first win and played a role in it (he also played a role in making it harder than it had to be by missing a handful of passes by a stride). I think this was a glass half-full or glass half-empty kind of game. It wasn't the Titanic is sinking and all the life boats left while I was in the bathroom kind of game.

The weirdest thing about Haskins is that I think mentally he's getting there, but physically he has such a long way to go. Usually, it's the other way around.

A horrible game between two poor, struggling teams and two QBs were apparently competing to see who could play worse. The overthrows are an issue, but taking selfies with fans like that? That's an attitude problem and seems to fit with all the other stories that have surrounded questions about his attitude and ethic, but it's also a good indication of how the culture in the team stinks, this shouldn't be happening. I don't mind a QB with ego and attitude if that's backed up by their play on the field, but this kid? Not so far.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

There's a part of me that attributes this reaction to Haskins' missing of the final kneel down as a symptom of the fans' over-negativity. Everything has to be talked about or understood from the most negative light possible. It's like Eeyore on steroids.

This is a "shaking of the head" kind of goof. It's a chuckle about it and call him a moron and drop it kind of goof. It's hardly a five-pager, but there's something in the broken psyche of the Redskins' fan that needs to be this negative. I suppose it's because if we didn't fixate on this missed kneel down, we'd have to acknowledge a gritty (if pretty bad) performance and one of our better defensive efforts. In fact, we'd have to talk about a win and that would allow some sunshine on our soul.

Honestly, if there is a reason I dont want to be a Redskins fan anymore, its because Redskins fans are annoying now. They hate our team more than anyone else does. You remember ass hate Cowboys/Eagles fans? Now they are Redskins fans. Same people. I get more positivity from our team from other fans now than I do here and I really do hate that ****. 

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The weirdest thing about Haskins is that I think mentally he's getting there, but physically he has such a long way to go. Usually, it's the other way around.

Hes exactly what everyone (including himself) that makes an honest take about him says he is. An inexperienced, talented, immature, smart rookie QB. Also kind of a douche bag but im ok with that if he gets his **** together lol

8 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How is it possible this guy is already at 2013 RG3 level ego without having the magical and ego-boosting 2012 season first? haha I mean...I guess he beat Washington in the Rose Bowl last year so maybe that was it. 

If he’s going to go out of his way to make fans not like him, just embrace it. Give me the full Cutler. I want cigarettes photoshopped into his mouth on the sidelines because his expression says he gives so little ****s about anything. Go partying with Mia Khalifa in DC clubs at 3am on a Saturday before a game etc. keep giving press conferences where you appear like the least self-aware person in a thousand miles. 

go big. Hakuna Matata simba

😂😂 Give me the full Cutler.

8 minutes ago, ShoutyBearHead said:

A horrible game between two poor, struggling teams and two QBs were apparently competing to see who could play worse. The overthrows are an issue, but taking selfies with fans like that? That'#s an attitude problem and seems to fit with all the other stories that have surrounded questions about his attitude and ethic, but it';s also a good indication of how the culture in the team stinks, this shouldn't be happening. I don't mind a QB with ego and attitude if that's backed up by their play on the field, but this kid? Not so far.

I have a feeling in a couple of years he’ll have a lot of time to take selfies as he’s closing.  At McDonalds.

Finlay mentions now that Haskins struggles on short out routes.  But during camp I don't recall a peep from him or anyone else but me about it.  And I am not saying this to tout my own horn because it was really easy to catch because they threw so many of them.

But like I said then, he was oddly very wild on short out routes in the flat and when he completed them the receiver often had to reach back to catch them making YAC really difficult.  I hate to say this but one main difference with Daniel Jones over Haskins is he completes those short out routes almost like a magician with receivers often catching those passes in stride.

That was one of my big takeaways from camp, surprised it took Finlay so long to realize it.  I am not saying Haskins can't work his way through it.  I hope he does obviously.  But that weakness was apparent as heck IMO in camp. 

The quarterback missed a number of open receivers on Sunday, twice for touchdowns to wideout Terry McLaurin, and the misses are starting to become a consistent problem. In Minnesota, Haskins sailed a ball to McLaurin, the result was an interception and it killed the Redskins chances at a comeback win. In Buffalo, McLaurin missed Trey Quinn, again sailing the ball, and costing Washington one of the few big play opportunities that existed in that game. 

Last week, in a home loss to the Jets, Haskins sprayed the ball a bit, but it wasn't nearly as bad as things were against Detroit. The rookie was long, and short, high, and wide. At times it was quite ugly, and what makes the accuracy issues even more puzzling is that Haskins looks sharp on deep throws. He struggles in the intermediate area, and he's downright bad on out patterns when he's throwing to the sidelines. 

The issue isn't arm strength. He's got a cannon. 

The issue isn't knowing the playbook or practice reps either. Haskins has been throwing basic out patterns for at least a decade, and probably much longer. 

The challenge for Callahan, and Haskins, and offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell, is figuring out what the issue is. 

9 hours ago, glongest said:

He must have forgotten that another 4 quarters went by without the offensive unit scoring a touchdown.  There was nothing to celebrate.  Had Stafford played, they would have lost by two touchdowns.  

Yep - if you discount garbage time, 1 gimmick play vs Pats & a few TDs vs pathetic Dolphins this team has not scored an offensive TD since 1st few weeks vs. Eagles & Boys (2 teams who are also not that great).  Oh well - maybe some of this is good long term to force Haskins to tone down the attitude & focus on the fact that he is not a good QB rt now.  He left at least 2 potential TDs on the field yesterday.

Oh well - there is still lots of room for him to improve & at least he is not evolving into a turnover machine.  I would like to believe that his overthrows & inaccurate throws are correctable as well as his inability to use the pocket well.  He is still very green & the final product might be a lot better.  BTW - I really believe that for someone like him the only true way to learn is by playing.  I don't believe that he would learn much by watching Keenum or McCoy play. Still a lot of time for Haskins to develop - we will see.

14 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He's a douche.  The mood in the room was pretty uneasy there for a bit.

I thought people were blowing this out of proportion on Twitter but after watching this, it's really bad.  Like worse than any presser RG3 ever gave. 

"That last series was all on me as far as helping the offense go down the field and make something happen.  And I looked everybody in the eyes in that huddle and told them we were going to do it.  We did."

Big yikes there.

13 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Here come the white knights to defend his honor.

Any type of criticism of 7 and they act like folks are calling for him to be drawn and quartered on Capitol Hill 

It's very strange that certain fans act like he's a Make a Wish kid living out his dream.

Positive: he's struggling with those short outs but there were a few plays in the second half where he hit the receiver in stride turning upfield up the left sideline, nice touch he hasn't shown earlier in the game.

Negative: why is his relationship with the media so weird already, or were his pressers in college like this as well? All I keep hearing about is what a good kid he is so this type of drama is not what I expected at all. I'm totally blindsided here, I thought his personality was supposed to be in the 'plus' column as a prospect. 

Our local media barely cares and are treating him with kid gloves, really, because they knew he wasn't ready. But he'd be getting KILLED every day in NY. You can kind of see why they felt Jones was a better fit with them despite a lower ceiling. Haskins is wilting under the spotlight of a local media that caters to a barely-paying-attention dying fanbase. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

why is his relationship with the media so weird already, or were his pressers in college like this as well?

I honestly have no idea because he's been talked about as being a good kid who was coachable and was nothing like RG3.  The local media guys have never criticized anything but his play thus far.  

Lol. 

"He's a kid. Just a one time thing, hopefully."

Apparently some of you weirdos must have forgotten the organization this guy plays for.

I'm sure he'll clean everything up here in no time, especially since he's apparently already tight with the owner. Yep. Just wait.

I think Springs was right. This kid just was not ready to be put in this position so quickly.

13 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Here come the white knights to defend his honor.

Any type of criticism of 7 and they act like folks are calling for him to be drawn and quartered on Capitol Hill 

Yes, every player you just mentioned is better than him. It’s not even a debate, pull the stats. And let me be clear, I’m talking right now. At this very moment 

But he was drafted here so I’m fine riding the rest of the year out with him 

Certainly not white knighting 7, because I don't think he's the guy long term.  I also absolutely wouldn't want any of those guys as the starter either.  All, including 7, would have me saying the answer isn't on the roster.  So why would you want one of them either is my point.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Lol. 

"He's a kid. Just a one time thing, hopefully."

Apparently some of you weirdos must have forgotten the organization this guy plays for.

I'm sure he'll clean everything up here in no time, especially since he's apparently already tight with the owner. Yep. Just wait.

I think Springs was right. This kid just was not ready to be put in this position so quickly.

Could be - time will tell.  This will be a good chance to evaluate how he responds as a player & a person.  If he uses this as a learning experience & changes his ways - NP.  Otherwise could a be a real problem (& you make a good pt about this organization).

2 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

This will be a good chance to evaluate how he responds as a player & a person.  If he uses this as a learning experience & changes his ways - NP.  Otherwise could a be a real problem (& you make a good pt about this organization).

We've seen this movie before.  Entitled guy who hasn't won anything emboldened by the owner...wake me up when it's over.

Here's that final snap;

789412281_FinalSnap.png.c59863ef153563b70b6217a349046b64.png

It does show :00, but I think they had a problem with the game clock, at least for the last couple of plays.

The Lions' last two plays started at :16 and :08 respectively. Both times the clock didn't run and still showed the same times after the plays had ended. The officials were probably going off their own timing and just didn't ask for the game clock to be reset.

Cousins had an almost innate tendency to not risk INTs.  I have theorized that it was for personal gain, to make sure his stats weren't wrecked with INTs in his quest for max money. Heck, he used to throw Mary's out of the back of the endzone.  He wouldn't even throw contested balls in practice.  Only in his last year did he start throwing 5050 balls.

I wonder if Haskins is gun shy on those short outs after having some pick 6's in high school or practice which are now haunting him, or just needs more work with specific WRs.  I doubt he had that same glaring problem in college otherwise I question the scouts and rating system.  It's gotten so predictable that I wouldn't blame the WRs if they start cheating towards his tendency to play it safe, far away from the defender.  He did throw an INT inside yesterday, which I think is only going to make him keep drilling them outside in the short term.

4 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Here's that final snap;

It does show :00, but I think they had a problem with the game clock, at least for the last couple of plays.

The Lions' last two plays started at :16 and :08 respectively. Both times the clock didn't run and still showed the same times after the plays had ended. The officials were probably going off their own timing and just didn't ask for the game clock to be reset.

Despite the game clock showing what it showed...anyone who's been to a game knows when it's really "over" when the two teams benches clear, the media people rush out and everyone meets at the middle of the field.  Postgame interviews are going on, they do their jersey swaps, etc.

If he was confused about the clock situation, maybe looking at his own bench and realizing everyone else was still standing there should have been a big clue.

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Haskins looks pampered and his accuracy is atrocious.  You don't suddenly become accurate.  You are either or or you are not.  He's a big-time bust.

Without a doubt. For some reason he thinks he is the reason the Redskins won yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out how we won that game. Oh yea the Lions absolutely refused to keep the ball and forcibly tried to give the ball back to us. Those two QBS look the same to me and I can't tell which one is worse. But they both will not make it the NFL as starters except one of them was a 1st round selection which means he will have a lot more time before someone throws in the towel. If McLaurin was not on this team that was another loss yesterday as bad as the Lions wanted to lose instead.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Despite the game clock showing what it showed...anyone who's been to a game knows when it's really "over" when the two teams benches clear, the media people rush out and everyone meets at the middle of the field.  Postgame interviews are going on, they do their jersey swaps, etc.

If he was confused about the clock situation, maybe looking at his own bench and realizing everyone else was still standing there should have been a big clue.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I didn't post it to exonerate Haskins, it was just to give a little insight about what happened with the clock.

Archived