Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

20 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hardly.  Most QB's are only ever given one legitimate chance for an organization to invest, develop and build around them.  The leash is a lot shorter, and development much less of a focus, for QB's who try to succeed elsewhere.

So if the Browns stuck with their bust first round quarterbacks longer they would turn into franchise players even though they did nothing in the NFL once they left??? That is an absurd take. It’s that type of flawed thinking that results in wasted years and coaches in busts.

Haskins is a bust. You can accept that now or 3 years from now. Doesn’t change the underlying fact that he’s a bust. He has displayed far too many negatives to overcome. It’s an uphill battle to begin with. Nearly all quarterbacks are busts. Roughly 15 to 20 people on the planet can play the position of NFL quarterback competently. Haskins is not in the group and never will be. That’s okay. It’s not for everyone.

It’s also okay to miss on a player at QB. Most are misses. What’s not okay is wasting years to confirm the bust. The prudent move is cut losses much earlier. Obviously the Skins have nothing to lose the rest of the way at 1-8 so let him play, he will simply confirm the fact that he’s a bust.  Then we can force him on scrub similar to Jim  Zorn and waste another 2 or 3 years or Josh Rosen him and cut our losses.

Even hearing the positives of the differences in his approach and his different mindset really aren't that encouraging to me.  He never had those character issues.  Aside from the knocks against his preparation (which coaches now say they've seen a change), there were never any real red flags.  The main concern was always his inexperience.  

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Even hearing the positives of the differences in his approach and his different mindset really aren't that encouraging to me.  He never had those character issues.  Aside from the knocks against his preparation (which coaches now say they've seen a change), there were never any real red flags.  The main concern was always his inexperience.  

Agree. And the only way to alleviate that is with reps. Which is is going to get. So it sounds like we are going to give him the best chance can expect to get with the Redskins. Sink or swim for the rest of the season. 

The real ****ey part in all of this is the mismanagement. It makes literally zero sense to pair a guy with his...uhh.....failings, I guess?..... (inexperience) with a coach who has to win now to survive. I would think they planned to **** them both over if I thought they were smart enough to plan that far ahead. But we all know they aint. 

Funny how the moment BanEuphemisticFans disappears, SoCalSkins takes the Anti-Haskins Baton and runs with it.

3 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Him completely sucking at NFL level football, not knowing the plays, being a disinterested diva, having Dan overrule the football people to force drafting him, being on a team where the he staff think he sucks, and being a complete bust in every way for far....

I'm still dying to know what convinced you he was a disinterested diva. Was it the one or two pictures of him looking like he doesn't care? Do you just take other peoples' narratives and takes and live by them? It's ok to be an independent thinker, ya know.

I don't know if Haskins is a bust or not. However, the fact that this coaching staff - and Gruden before them who despite his myriad flaws is really good with QBs - clearly don't want him and don't trust him concerns me.

Here is the nightmare scenario:

The team finishes with a top two pick. And because of its "Commitment to Haskins," it passes on a generational talent at the QB position. You do that, you screw your team for ten years.

I have really never seen lower expectations for a #1 draft pick than I see with Haskins right now. He didn't throw a pick six on 14 wide receiver screens and we are celebrating him.

15 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

And that’s based onnnn..........................

Possibly the awful play and the 8th grade playbook.

24 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Funny how the moment BanEuphemisticFans disappears, SoCalSkins takes the Anti-Haskins Baton and runs with it.

I'm still dying to know what convinced you he was a disinterested diva. Was it the one or two pictures of him looking like he doesn't care? Do you just take other peoples' narratives and takes and live by them? It's ok to be an independent thinker, ya know.

I have been a part of this board since 2003. More than a decade longer than you. I don’t know who the other poster is.

What convinced me more than anything else is what DHall stated and Czabe’s insider info on him not knowing the plays. Plus the fact that his OC basically said his preparation sucks. Plus his aloofness and disinterest on the sidelines: Most importantly I have functioning eyes. The dude sucks at NFL football. Apparently you haven’t watched enough football to know the difference between good play and obscenely horrid bust level play. You might consider disappearing like the other poster you referenced and watch more football then comeback when you are capable of making a more sound analysis.  

36 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is the nightmare scenario:

The team finishes with a top two pick. And because of its "Commitment to Haskins," it passes on a generational talent at the QB position. You do that, you screw your team for ten years.

We have gaping holes at LT, TE, CB, and WR. If we are fortunate enough to end up with the #2 pick and spend it on a generational QB instead of trading for multiple picks to build a team. ..that "generational QB" and the rest of the team will be screwed for 10 years.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I have been a part of this board since 2003. More than a decade longer than you. I don’t know who the other poster is.

What convinced me more than anything else is what DHall stated and Czabe’s insider info on him not knowing the plays.

I buy that he didn’t have the plays down pat.  I don’t buy that he didn’t know the plays - the evidence points to the contrary (aside from that time he tried to fake a handoff to the wrong side).  I mean, he’s not running around playing street ball every play.  

Plus the fact that his OC basically said his preparation sucks. Plus his aloofness and disinterest on the sidelines:

I thought O’Connell said he could prepare better and then that his preparation looked a lot better.   Maybe I’m wrong, but if I’m right, that’s a far cry from what you’re saying.  The ‘disinterested’ thing was a bit concerning.  I felt a little better when I heard what Haskins had to say about it talking with Portis.  Here’s hoping the issue doesn’t come up again.  I also put far less stock in it than you though.  Pretty sure you can find a time any qb in the league has looked ‘disinterested’ on the sideline.  It’s also highly subjective, as I’m sure you know.  

Most importantly I have functioning eyes. The dude sucks at NFL football. Apparently you haven’t watched enough football to know the difference between good play and obscenely horrid bust level play. You might consider disappearing like the other poster you referenced and watch more football then comeback when you are capable of making a more sound analysis.  

So what part of his play against the Bills was obscenely horrific?  (Ignoring the fact that all qbs have obscenely horrific plays/days)

Now don’t get me wrong, simple statistics point to a high likelihood Haskins being a bust, or at least not a franchise qb, but your certainty is pretty unreasonable.  It’s kind of like me telling someone that no matter how often they play the lottery, it’s impossible to win big.  I’m probably right that they won’t, but my certainty is illogical.  Hopefully we won’t see you crowing if he does bust, because right now, there’s you and a few others on one extreme claiming he has already proven to be a bust, and then everyone else saying some form of ‘let’s give him some time and see where it goes’.  There is (as far as I’ve seen) not a single person guaranteeing he will be a franchise qb.  In other words, the other extreme doesn’t exist, and therefore there isn’t anyone that will be ‘wrong’.  

One last thing - you’ve made it clear that since Snyder forced the pick (apparently), you believe no one should give Haskins a chance or we’re validating that involvement from ownership.  I think that’s extreme, but at least you have a rationale.  Unfortunately, that rationale/bias undermines all of your arguments against Haskins and, along with the incessant hammering of them, is a big part of your ‘troll’ label.  

Calling a first round quarterback a bust is not a controversial take. Statistically you would be far more correct making that prediction than not regardless of who the player is. When you start getting red flags about preparation, ability to memorize playbook and difficulty in reading defenses to a point where your own team purposely doesn’t intercept you in practice, the QB is a lost cause. No coming back from that. It’s not trolling. It’s reality. 

As far as the Bills, it was literally play calling designed not to embarrass the QB. It was not play calling designed to be competitive or to try to win. That was dictated by Haskins lack of ability. That’s the horrid part. He sucks so bad they can’t even try to win.

35 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

We have gaping holes at LT, TE, CB, and WR. If we are fortunate enough to end up with the #2 pick and spend it on a generational QB instead of trading for multiple picks to build a team. ..that "generational QB" and the rest of the team will be screwed for 10 years.

Well that’s bleak, lol.  

The rosy side of the picture is that we can add players via FA and the draft, and we have up-and-coming players that should improve over time.  You could also argue that getting your team in good shape before finding your qb makes it a lot tougher to land a top pick down the road for your guy.  

On the other hand, yeah, this team - from the oline and lack of weapons to the FO’s ineptitude and lack of foresight - is a mess, so getting that generational (if there even is one) isn’t likely a panacea.  And that’s ignoring the coaching angle.  

Of course you also have to factor in the window you get with a rookie qb salary, and that just makes things more iffy.  

55 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

What convinced me more than anything else is what DHall stated and Czabe’s insider info on him not knowing the plays. Plus the fact that his OC basically said his preparation sucks. Plus his aloofness and disinterest on the sidelines: Most importantly I have functioning eyes. The dude sucks at NFL football. Apparently you haven’t watched enough football to know the difference between good play and obscenely horrid bust level play. You might consider disappearing like the other poster you referenced and watch more football then comeback when you are capable of making a more sound analysis.  

I saw a fair amount of him at college and talent isn't something you can teach, and while Dwayne has struggled out of the gates I have watched enough football over the years to know that most QBs struggle early, even good ones. Even ones that are HoF calibre (Drew Brees immediately comes to mind). Your "functioning eyes" are also hiding behind a pair of glasses that continually force you to see only negatives when it comes to the entire organization. You, like the aforementioned BEF poster have a very one-dimensional, very narrow-minded mindset where anything the organization touches is literally the opposite of the midas touch. Hence your conclusion that DH sucks and will always suck and will forever be the poster child for suckage simply will never be changed regardless. He may very well be a bust, he may very well be a very good QB. Anyone who claims to know one way or another is simply a fool looking for a fight. The question truly is are you man enough to admit you're wrong if he does exceed expectations? I doubt it - posters like you are a dime a dozen where you'll either deflect away your initial criticism and claim it was more your reflection on the dysfunction of the front office or you'll simply continue to push your narrative by magnifying the mistakes by 100 compared to the good plays he does actually make. Either way, while your holier than thou attitude may make you think it makes you look like you belong in football's version of MENSA, in reality it just makes you sound foolish. 

I would be elated if he wasn’t a bust and we win with him. I am a massive Redskins fan. They have been a huge part of my life for decades. I want us to win more than anything. I bought a Haskins jersey after the draft. I loved his Ohio State play and highlight reel. Unfortunately he doesn’t have what it takes to be a successful NFL QB. It’s the hardest position in professional sports. I don’t want us waiting 3 years to come to that conclusion. I really want to witness another super bowl win before I die. I’m 45 now. Wasting 3 years here 2 years there all adds up fast. That’s how we got here since 1992. 

3 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Haskins is a bust. You can accept that now or 3 years from now. Doesn’t change the underlying fact that he’s a bust. He has displayed far too many negatives to overcome. It’s an uphill battle to begin with. Nearly all quarterbacks are busts. Roughly 15 to 20 people on the planet can play the position of NFL quarterback competently. Haskins is not in the group and never will be. That’s okay. It’s not for everyone.

It’s also okay to miss on a player at QB. Most are misses. What’s not okay is wasting years to confirm the bust. The prudent move is cut losses much earlier. Obviously the Skins have nothing to lose the rest of the way at 1-8 so let him play, he will simply confirm the fact that he’s a bust.  Then we can force him on scrub similar to Jim  Zorn and waste another 2 or 3 years or Josh Rosen him and cut our losses.

This is trolling pure and simple, no other explanation for your behavior since Haskins hasn't played enough for any reasonable outsider to have formed a fixed opinion of him yet.

His teammates duck in practice to avoid intercepting him so his offense can get work in. There is no world where you go from that to successful NFL QB. None. He’s a bust. We have been through many. Time to move on and find the next guy. I don’t understand the false hope and patience. You all pretty much know how this will play out. So why wait? 

Dwayne when you go home tonight and hear on television that the Skins are sending a representative to watch Colin K workout in Atlanta on 

Saturday just stay focused on you game preparation.  Know that Skins management has your back and still has 100% confidence in you from

the owner's box at FedEx Field on Sunday.  Do not let a distraction like this disrupt your thinking or affect your play on Sunday.

For fans, what is the benefit of declaring Haskins a bust now, this very moment?... What's the reward from doing so now instead of, say, in January or waiting until next October? Do you get a free set of steak knives or something? Is it just trolling as a sport? Is it because there are no ramifications from doing so--that if Haskins ends up being a good QB it won't matter what you're saying now, so why not toss out all the hot takes that you can?

I'm all for everyone having their own opinions, positive or negative, doesn't matter to me. But outside of stubborn adherence to certain beliefs I can't understand just a blatant refusal to wait and see if a player develops. My brother-in-law--halfway through the 2012 season--said Russell Wilson and RG3 would both bust hard in the NFL, even though he had never seen either QB actually play, because "I don't like running QBs". He didn't see a need to wait. He didn't even see a need to watch them play lol...

20 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

His teammates duck in practice to avoid intercepting him so his offense can get work in. There is no world where you go from that to successful NFL QB. None. He’s a bust. 

......hes a bust, after only ONE actual start, plus being thrown into the 2nd half of two games? You can’t seriously know after that little game time that he’s a bust. Come the actual **** on.....

Archived