Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Look these goofball QBs in the nfl that any of you could argue for over the next goofball ... 

When the ES collective becomes the GM, I’ll fight all of you who try to make us pay a pocket passer 30 million. Veto everything I want to do, just spread the money around to the rest of the team & I’ll ride your brilliant minds to the SB.

I've really been thinking about this. There are at leaat 2 guys we know who were Snyder's pals: RG3 and Portis. I guess you could say Lavar, but that ended horribly between the two. I don't think RG3 or CP actually ended badly between the sides involved. And I know he has liked other players: Jeff George, Santana Moss, Mark Sanchez, etc. But I've never heard about the love for them like the others. 

So I wonder if there is any opportunity for the players to stay at arms length away from Snyder. I honestly don't expect them to because if I'm at a job and my boss is offering me opportunities to hang out which could help advance my career, I'm not sure I could turn that down (that said, I'm a major introvert and I hate crowds so I would have to do it to a point where I can be comfortable). But can Haskins see that Snyder's in love with him and say "nah man I don't think we should go bowling tonight. I'm going to hang with TMac and Harmon." Or could he even dilute it by saying something like "what would really help me is better monitors in the video review room or better field conditions at FedEx" or something like that that improves the team performance on Sundays. 

It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry meets Keith Hernandez and Hernandez advances the relationship too soon and so Jerry has to back off some. 

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry meets Keith Hernandez and Hernandez advances the relationship too soon and so Jerry has to back off some. 

Can’t help a guy move in on the 2nd date, that’s a bit much. 

RG3 brought him a division championship and the most jerseys ever sold by a player in a year as a rookie. Portis got him to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years under Gibbs. Both of those guys have pretty likable and friendly personalities as well.

if you actually think Haskins gets VIP treatment from Dan right now, I think you are very mistaken. Sure Haskins has that potential because he was a Dan pick but if he keeps stinking it up, Dan will be done with him fast. 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

RG3 brought him a division championship and the most jerseys ever sold by a player in a year as a rookie. Portis got him to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years under Gibbs. Both of those guys have pretty likable and friendly personalities as well.

Didn't RG3 get a tattoo of his gfs name while he was married? Likability may depend upon proximity. 

6 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

So your defense of him is that 15 words...

Hey Pot

So your judge and jury verdict is based off of 22 passes in emergency duty? In the leagues elite loser dumpster fire organization?  :ols:

Kettle

Its so bad our team captain boycotted our team. Miami had to sandbag on their last play to avoid losing to us.

It would be interesting to see if you would admit that you really have no idea how complex Jay's offense is, nor how much he has been asked to digest.  You are merely guessing when all signs point to it being one of the more complex offenses (Galdi called it Shakespearean); in which Jay was not willing to groom Haskins since he had to win now to save his job.  Callahan is picking up right were Jay left off....

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Alex's ceiling for me is too low for me to get excited about him at 36.  The age is a factor to me in the context that he's a dude that does benefit from his legs more than the average veteran QB.

Excited would be a stretch for me as well. Like I mentioned, I could get behind the underdog type story and obviously I appreciate Alex as a leader and elite game management skills ;) 

Injury aside. The 4.7 type QB is always gonna be a threat with his legs until he retires. It’s not like Alex was ever threatening the edges of a defense, you know. He’s not a guy relying on explosion, twitch, or shiftiness... that’s the type of stuff that abandons you in your mid 30s, going through myself lol I understand there’s a lot of grey area in this type of discussion, but examples are all over of guys still using their legs effectively at an advanced age. 

As a pure story line, its cool.  To add to the drama that this team seem to bring -- it would add some juicy drama to sit Haskins down for another year.  Sitting him down this year has its share of controversy on its own, doubling down on it and making it two years would make it really juicy.  But as a Redskin fan craving a franchise Qb I'd hate it.  The only thing I like about it is Bruce seems to be convinced the team would have gone to the moon and back with Alex.  I think he's delusional.  So if we have to carry out that fantasy to finally get rid of Bruce, am all for it 

If Smith was close to being himself, there wouldn’t be whole lot of drama at least from the FO, coaches, and players, as we know Smith will have 100% support, due to his leadership abilities and intangibles. If Skins are competitive (Which is almost a known variable with Smith) and in the playoff hunt, all would be good. Now, if season goes sideways, then all bets are off and many clamoring for a change and if not done, drama would ensue. 

Anyone know how NFL contracts work with regards to injuries a la Alex Smith?

Id assume its specific to the player, but wouldnt he have to retire to let the Skins off the hook?

If he is healthy, and Haskins is healthy, i think you play the guy that's being paid $20MM, right?

42 minutes ago, illone said:

Anyone know how NFL contracts work with regards to injuries a la Alex Smith?

Id assume its specific to the player, but wouldnt he have to retire to let the Skins off the hook?

If he is healthy, and Haskins is healthy, i think you play the guy that's being paid $20MM, right?

He has to make an effort to rehab to continue to receive his guaranteed money. Typically deals are guaranteed for injury longer than they are guaranteed for skill. So there can be a point where if he passes a physical the Skins can cut him and if he fails he gets another year of salary. Not sure what the guarantees of his deal are but that’s typical. 

20 minutes ago, wit33 said:

100% agree. Alex would need a Vikings type supporting cast ;) Jk... to reach two or three in playoffs, as he’s done previously.

The 2018 Alex to me was mediocre at best and that's playing against statistically an easy run of defenses -- as Warren Sharp pointed out.  I'd easily take Kirk especially the 2019 version thus far over that Alex.  If Alex rediscovers his career year, 2017, then I'd entertain your point.  Maybe I'd feel different if I didn't bake in the heat in Tampa and watch him play poorly against Tampa's wretched defense -- almost had to apologize to my kids for driving 4 hours to watch that wretched game, at least I stopped at Disney on the way to salvage the trip. 😀

I don't really mind anyone though crushing on Alex the guy.  He reminds me of myself -- his politics, interests, fav TV shows even the style he talks more than any QB we've had by far.   So I dig the dude.  I just get hot about the 6-3 nonsense.  It was really 6-4 for starters and the dude was a lucky son of gun that it wasn't 5-5.  The Redskins set an NFL record that day by winning in spite of the opponent having over 200 yards plus on them, etc.  And nope it wasn't Alex's game management wizadry that won it. But Fitzpatrick imploding in the red zone and them having a horrible field goal kicker. 

Alex doesn't lose games.  He doesn't win them either.  He needs some serious supporting cast around him.   

My issue though with Alex starting in 2020 has little to do with him.  I'd take him easily over Keenum or Colt.   And heck I am far from a big Haskins believer either.  Yet, I got my fingers crossed that Haskins has it.  Because call me crazy but I don't see Alex starting over Haskins in 2020 as a harbinger of good things to come for Haskins.   I need Haskins to be the guy.  If he isn't -- then we are stuck in this purgatory of mediocre that I want to escape.  Alex IMO isn't helping us escape it.  Haskins at least in theory to me has a shot to do it.   Plus how many cheap years of Haskins are we going to squander?  Isn't that part of the point of a young QB.  I get Alex is on the books anyway.  But I don't buy that Haskins would be as good in year 3 with little to no experience versus playing out year 2.   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/30/with-case-keenum-still-concussion-protocol-dwayne-haskins-prepares-start/

Speaking of which, I think we are going to see Haskins this Sunday:

The 22-year-old acknowledged that he has made some changes recently, though he didn’t share the details.

“I don’t think it has nothing to do with this week. I just think it’s a change in me,” Haskins said. “A lot of stuff [caused the change]. A lot of stuff. I’m just excited to keep working.”

...Moses said the rookie can gain more confidence from more first-team reps and live game action. It’s experience “you can’t buy.”

Left tackle Donald Penn said Haskins had a strong workout Wednesday, taking grasp of the huddle and command of the offense.

“Grasp it, get in your book, don’t be scared to be a leader,” Penn said he told Haskins. “If you see something you don’t like in the huddle, speak up. Guys are going to respect that a lot more than waiting for one of us to do it. I told him to take control. Know his reads. Be laid back and lean on us if he needs anything. He’s picking it up pretty well.”

15 hours ago, Llevron said:

Less turnovers but other than that I think you are right 

*feels like less, I havent actually looked. 

Smith and Keenum have the same number of fumbles and Keenum has 2 more interceptions but also threw 1 more touchdown than Smith.  And Keenum has a much better completion percentage.  And their sack numbers are also near identical.  This is what you would have seen last year without AP.  A 1-7 team.  

14 hours ago, volsmet said:

I much prefer Alex to Kirk because Alex is the less likely of the two to lose the game. 

I never understand why fans would rather not lose than win.  That's the glaring difference between Kirk and Alex.  With one you had hope that you could win, with the other it was hope that you would not lose.  

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Smith and Keenum have the same number of fumbles and Keenum has 2 more interceptions but also threw 1 more touchdown than Smith.  And Keenum has a much better completion percentage.  And their sack numbers are also near identical.  This is what you would have seen last year without AP.  A 1-7 team.  

Oh I’m sure of that. I was never trying to argue otherwise. Just telling you why I would pick one guy over the other......which looks like just a gut feeling now with the numbers you gave me. 

I never realized they they were that close. Makes Gruden going away from AP as much as possible more upsetting. 

22 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is where people miss the mark. More stats matter than what you see on any page.

Smith wasnt good statistically as the QB of the Redskins. But his ability to make the men in the locker room believe in his role as the quarterback FAR surpasses Keenum's.

It's also interesting (in a strange sort of way) that people credit Adrian Peterson for Smith's rise, but somehow they neglect to attribute the same thing to Keenum's lack of winning. 

If you think Alex Smith and Case Keenum are the same quarterback, you are wrong.

That doesn't mean that Alex Smith is an elite quarterback, for the record. But he brings something to the table that Keenum does not. 

I got no problem with Alex Smith if the defense is playing lights out and the run game is working.  I think little of Keenum, I'd take Alex over him and said so before the season.  Peterson got off to a rough start this season.  His YPA is still pretty poor in spite of his uptick in recent games.  The defense also stunk at the beginning of this year -- that wasn't the case last year.  In Keenum's defense, they had a rough schedule at the start of the season.  As Warren Sharp pointed out, Alex statistically speaking had the easiest run of defenses (or maybe it was one of the top 3 easiest I don't recall) during his part of the season last year.  Yet, their passing offense still wasn't hot.   

I agree with Alex being a cool guy and a good leader.  But to me celebrating Alex is embracing mediocrity -- i mean that purely as the player not the person.    You got to have some killer units behind him.  To me he's a rich man's Keenum and a poor man's Dak Prescott.   Better than what we got now.  But if he's the dude in 2020, I don't think it speaks much of what we got cooking with Haskins in that context.  So I hope not.   If Haskins wasn't here I'd be fine with it. 

Archived