Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Next season he'd be a 36 year old QB who has arguably just had a one great season in his career and relied on his legs quite a bit.  Great dude though so for his sake I hope he pulls off a comeback.  It might be the most obvious way for Bruce to save his job considering we hear so often about the 6-4 start, they conveniently pretend the Texans game never happened and call it 6-3.    That half a season has grown in lore so much that I am waiting for them to fly a banner over the stadium for it.  

But seriously the logical conclusion for the fantasy 2018 season to play out to the hilt is to bring back that same gang for 2020 and to prove to the world that they were indeed a great team that were maybe even SB bound.  😀   If that fantasy plays out, I gather Haskins will be the loser in the process of this playing out if it does. 

56 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Why?  Keenum should be as uncomfortable as possible because of how awful he's played.  

Totally get your POV, but as others have alluded to, that’s just not how you deal with things from a coaching perspective.  

I mean, maybe the smart move was to start Haskins 2 weeks ago, or maybe after the bye week is the best option - we’ll never really know.  Bottom line though, you don’t intimate that your qb is on a short leash because you don’t want them to take a lot more risks or play ultra conservative; you want them to play within the bounds of your system/game plan.  

15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Totally get your POV, but as others have alluded to, that’s just not how you deal with things from a coaching perspective.  

I mean, maybe the smart move was to start Haskins 2 weeks ago, or maybe after the bye week is the best option - we’ll never really know.  Bottom line though, you don’t intimate that your qb is on a short leash because you don’t want them to take a lot more risks or play ultra conservative; you want them to play within the bounds of your system/game plan.  

Some of the good folks here act like a coaches public responses with the media are akin to a private conversation between Sam Malone & Diane Chambers. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

At this point I dont even care anymore. If he can go in '20, great. If not, well, hopefully they know that based off of... Practice sessions and study habits,  and we can roll with everyone outside of Tua in '20.

I’m with you, I don’t now if it’s caring or not.  But I watch Mason Rudolph (or whoever else the Steelers throw out at QB) Minshew and all other low draft picks who go play on Sunday’s.  If Haskins is worse than all of these guys, so be it, but let’s at least see what we are working with.  There is NO redskin QB that is playing so well that he cannot get a shot with a whole week of prep.  Just my opinion 

5 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

I’m with you, I don’t now if it’s caring or not.  But I watch Mason Rudolph (or whoever else the Steelers throw out at QB) Minshew and all other low draft picks who go play on Sunday’s.  If Haskins is worse than all of these guys, so be it, but let’s at least see what we are working with.  There is NO redskin QB that is playing so well that he cannot get a shot with a whole week of prep.  Just my opinion 

This doesn’t apply to your post, Bigmuss, but some act like Pitt being forced to start Devlin Hodges means he’s better than DH.  

C2BEC58F-B70E-4BAF-9F88-2DD6405F3336.gif

Best avatar ever, btw, @Bigmuss1

22 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Some of the good folks here act like a coaches public responses with the media are akin to a private conversation between Sam Malone & Diane Chambers. 

I'm sorry if I just don't see what 3 extra weeks, assuming Case stays healthy, is going to do to magically make him ready as opposed to starting the Bills game.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I'm sorry if I just don't see what 3 extra weeks, assuming Case stays healthy, is going to do to magically make him ready as opposed to starting the Bills game.

Keim neglects to note that something several ESers have mentioned — Haskins being moved to #2 is significant. That reveals more than anything else; we are starting a QB who has been injured this year & isnt 100% right now - & Haskins is the guy behind him, not Colt or any number of QBs with NFL experience we could pick up quickly.

And, nobody in the history of the game has moved a guy into the backup role because they think he will be more attentive, this is the nfl, not a hallmark movie.

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Love me some Alex Smith. 

But if that guy is our starting quarterback... yikes. He accounts for 10.8% of our cap this season. That number goes up next year, doesn't it? They need to find a way to get rid of that contract.

His deal is guaranteed for injury far longer than for skill. So if they encourage him to comeback and he passes a physical, they can screw him over and cut him. I don’t doubt that’s the plan Bruce has in mind...

13 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

His deal is guaranteed for injury far longer than for skill. So if they encourage him to comeback and he passes a physical, they can screw him over and cut him. I don’t doubt that’s the plan Bruce has in mind...

Considering it appears Dan has a new 'friend' in Alex, perhaps that would be the nail in Bruce's coffin.  Alex is a much cooler friend than Bruce, I'd imagine Dan would hate to see his boy get done dirty like that.

If their judgment call as an organization is that a rookie QB will kill their chances to win at 1-9 or whatever the record is now then I dont trust their judgment anyway. 

They are neither thinking well in the present, as Keenum is trashing it up, or are they thinking ahead and putting a plan in place for the draft. If hes that bad, then he would all but ensure we are the second pick in the draft. And if hes really not as good as Keenum, we would have lost the dolphins game.

So not only is the plan to NOT get the rookie QB experience on a 1-12 team and get something out of this wasted season, but to also win as many games as we can to **** up draft position to get talent we clearly need. The last time we bottomed out. btw, we picked the best 

And you trust these peoples evaluation. Because they have proven to be so smart. 

For the record I dont have a problem with him not being ready, but trusting this evaluation so much so that you think hes a bust already is just a weird place logically to go when I know you dont trust anyone running this team. 

Coaches and players have zero reason to tank, no matter what the fanbase wants.  They're all playing for their current and future employment.  If the players and coaches think Keenum gives them a better shot to win, they'll play him, record be damned. 

Look at what the Dolphins are doing.  There's no reason to play Fitzpatrick over Rosen right now other than to get a win.

Reading the tea leaves, it looks like Dan/Bruce are willing to wait until the Bye week before waving the white flag.  Once we get past the Bye, I have little doubt that Haskins will be starting.  But right now, the decision is up to the coaches, and the coaches will always play to win.

The other side is you can argue what the Giants are doing with Daniel Jones is ruining his future and may some day be mic’d up saying “I’m seeing ghosts”. I don’t believe it either way, just that examples exist for either side and it requires evaluating the situation on its own and not worrying about what others or history says. 

The lone fact is there’s no one way to mold a young QB.

I will say this, the current plan has put a pause on his eventual plight to become a legitimate QB, but it isn’t hurting him. 

I heard on Sunday from a reporter (not gonna name names) that they're saying he's "not ready" due to the terminology of the playbook.  They don't doubt that he can read a defense, make the correct throw, hit someone open, etc...where he's falling short and "not ready" is being able to relay the terminology of the play from the coach to the huddle.  He doesn't know it cold, yet.

ASSUMING that's true, I'm not sure why Gruden didn't/Callahan won't modify the terminology for him or better yet just really drill home a package of 20 plays that he can get familiar with.  That was his question as well as mine.

I agree with a lot of you, you've gotta play him 5 or 6 games this year to see what you've got.  Any head coaching candidate coming in this offseason is going to want to see if they'd be able to work with him or not.  He needs to have some tape so you know if he's got a future. 

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I heard on Sunday from a reporter (not gonna name names) that they're saying he's "not ready" due to the terminology of the playbook.  They don't doubt that he can read a defense, make the correct throw, hit someone open, etc...where he's falling short and "not ready" is being able to relay the terminology of the play from the coach to the huddle.  He doesn't know it cold, yet.

Wasn't Sean McVay getting around that with Jared Goff by relaying the whole play by radio before the snap? Or the wristbands that even Aaron Rodgers wears? I haven't followed QB situations close enough to know how it applies to other QBs, but I can't say I've heard of a starting-caliber player being on the bench because he doesn't know how to relay a play.

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Wasn't Sean McVay getting around that with Jared Goff by relaying the whole play by radio before the snap? Or the wristbands that even Aaron Rodgers wears? I haven't followed QB situations close enough to know how it applies to other QBs, but I can't say I've heard of a starting-caliber player being on the bench because he doesn't know how to relay a play.

IIRC, McVay was getting Goff to the line quickly to look at the defense with him and relay the play before the radio clicked off.  Must be nice to have a forward thinking coach.

Anyway, that's what I heard this past weekend, wanted to share it with you guys.

... And you all said " What harm could it be to throw Haskins in against New England or against the no.2 defense in a swamp ?"

Last night couldnt have been more clear that throwing the rook into those kinds of conditions could be disastrous. Darnold may have shellshock for months after that beating.

25 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

... And you all said " What harm could it be to throw Haskins in against New England or against the no.2 defense in a swamp ?"

Last night couldnt have been more clear that throwing the rook into those kinds of conditions could be disastrous. Darnold may have shellshock for months after that beating.

I don’t think “you all” means what you think it means, sir.

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

IIRC, McVay was getting Goff to the line quickly to look at the defense with him and relay the play before the radio clicked off.  Must be nice to have a forward thinking coach.

That handicap worked all the way up until Week 13 of 2018. Personally I think it was detrimental to his development. Since then here are Goff's game totals:

Yds      TD      INT      Sacks     Fumbles

207        1         1             2              1

180        0        4             3              1

339       0         1             2              2

216         1        0             2              1

199        4        0             0              1

186        0        0             0              1

297        1         1              1              1

229       0         1             4              0

186        1          1             1               1

283       1         0             3              1

268       2        2             2               1

517        2        3             2               1

395       1          1             0             0

78         0         0                         2

268       2         0            0              0

Forgive the format, but since the bye in week 12 of 2018, Goff has thrown only 3 300yd games. All of those were losses. He has no feel for the pocket, and without Gurley going off, he cant produce. And that is despite the fact that he has not 1, but 3 great wr options, and two healthy TE on the roster who can also block. McVay was forward thinking for 2018, but it is backfiring on him now as Goff is now the weak point of the offense and just signed a huge extension.

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think “you all” means what you think it means, sir.

There is a VERY small group of people here on these boards who are preaching patience with Haskins. Most feel that we need to throw him to the wolves and let him sink or swim. In the long run, this is a terrible option with the schedule the way it is, and would have done more harm than good. There are 3 variables at play going forward into next season.

1.  Haskins offensive development and health, while keeping the same system going into 2020 ( KO as Coach going forward)

2. Secure high draft pick

3. Trade valuable assets for high draft picks. ( Trent Williams / Kerrigan )

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Love me some Alex Smith. 

But if that guy is our starting quarterback... yikes. He accounts for 10.8% of our cap this season. That number goes up next year, doesn't it? They need to find a way to get rid of that contract.

I think he'll pretty much be stuck on our roster through next season (2020), if a new CBA isn't agreed upon.  Otherwise, we he would be a prime candidate for a post-June 1st cut.  Without the ability to do that, cutting him outright next offseason results in  ~$11 M dead money. 

I actually want to see Haskins this year. Mostly for my own curiosity, so it’s fairly selfish.

But I didn’t advocate putting him in against NE, and neither did a lot of other people. I actually said McCoy should start that game and Haskins take over after. 

You can’t see a game like that Niners one coming, but he probably would have been okay handing the ball off 67 times like the game plan dictated, don't you think? In better conditions it’s scarier. 

I’m okay seeing him after the bye week. But even for non-selfish reasons, I think it’s important he gets on the field. Even if it’s for a single drive the next few weeks. Get some of his plays on tape. Get him coached up. 

If he lights it up, keep playing him. If he does decent to poor, keep with the plan. 

It’s unconventional, sure, but why not? He’s still fairly protected knowing he won’t be holding the whole game on his shoulders. 

Archived