Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I wish more people would share their thoughts on the film they watch, I could care less if you're an expert or not. 

I am no scout but I do like how quickly the ball comes out of his hands showing the ability to hit receivers in tight windows and displaying nice touch as well.  Also, he is not afraid of throwing the ball downfield and giving his receivers a chance to make plays.  I really enjoyed seeing the level of passion he plays with.

I also think too many experts allow nfl-readiness to influence their draft standing. In other words, how ready a player is to start affects where they should get drafted. And that's true to an extent i'm sure for some teams (the draft boards of contending teams prioritize who can help immediately vs rebuilding teams can perceive a player's value based on their long term potential). I'm sure some teams who had QBs already in house don't see Dwayne as a first round talent because while the intangibles are there, the mental readiness isn't. 

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I'm not thinking the coaches and players look at the season the same way fans do. So they're not telling themselves and each other "The season is over so it no longer matters if we start the best 22 players." They are most likely only concentrating on the next game, as cliche as that sounds, and not the entirety of the season. Back in 2012 I remember Shanahan getting blasted in the press for saying, after going 3-6, something like it was time to see who wanted to still be on the team next year. It sounded like he was saying the season was over and he was gonna spend the rest of the year evaluating who to keep and who to let go once the season was officially over...like treating it as a 7-game preseason or something. I wasn't visiting ES during that season but it wouldn't surprise me if fans felt the same way as the media and blasted Shanny as well.

I hear you, 1-5 is bad, but the season isn’t quite ‘over’ yet, even though a turnaround is highly unlikely.  Hopefully after another loss or two though, they’ll understand the need for the franchise to look to the future.  I’m sure they understand that young guys, particularly a rookie qb, need to be evaluated and even moreso if we likely wind up with a top pick.  

Of course, the way Keenum is playing, they might also understand rolling with Haskins even though they know there will be growing pains.  

I've postulated that before. And to be honest, I kind of said it half joking. But it certainly has some legs.

And, honestly, if the team is looking to roll with Haskins it would probably be the best thing for the team from a competitive point of view.

Say what you want about Smith, but the guy was able to take a team who quite frankly wasn't all that good due to a myriad of injuries to a 6-3 record. Was it pretty? Hell no. But his ability to protect the ball, and with the team leaning into the run game with AP, they did enough. 

This strategy also allows for the Skins to use one (or hopefully more) first rounders on a defensive stud and an OT. 

Now, Smith is over a year out of football. But I'd be willing to bet he could come back and with a few months be at the same level as Keenum/McCoy are right now. 

And it is absolutely the best thing for Haskins. Not forcing him into the lineup and having patience does make sense if Smith is the quarterback.

The inherent, stand-out, holy **** are you for real part of this is that the team may be relying on a guy who is coming off of a potentially career ending injury to pull this strategy off. Which, despite my love for Smith, is the exact opposite of the strategy they should be using. They rely on the injury prone/injured players way too often and it bites them square in the ass.

I still think it would be best for him to sit. Still. My only problem there is that the fans would write him off for good and I DO think that makes a difference for players these days. Look how much better the Nats are playing when they are actually enjoying it. Maybe thats not a good example of what im trying to say. 

21 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I just hope all those here bragging about knowing that Haskins was “a bust” because he played a half of football and didn’t look great are willing to own up when he’s starting and becomes a pretty darn good qb.

Knowing these boards, I seriously doubt it.

Ditto for those who are convinced that he's the future, who will hopefully not make excuse after excuse and think "next year will be different" a la Campbell, Griffin, Ramsey, etc.

People forget about how well the defense played last year when we were 6-3.  Alex was averaging what like 1 TD a game.  Its debatable we would be where we are today even if Alex was starting.  Our defense been giving up 30pts a game before the Dolphins game

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I do believe he's "the future" and if I'm wrong I'll own it.

I guess I just don't get either mindset right now.  Both sides, one who think he's going to be a bust and the other who is convinced he'll be a great starter, are basing their opinions off of 13 college games, 4 preseason games, and 1 relief effort.  It's waaaay to early to tell either way.  Which is why Callahan should name him the starter for the rest of the year.  

20 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The Chiefs hit the ground running that year. If they started 0-5, Mahomes would have played.

The "We were 6-3 last year with Alex!" crowd always forgets to mention that the Chiefs were also 6-3 in 2017 before losing 3 in a row.  We were headed down that same path last year, except our defense couldn't bail us out like the Chiefs did the final 4 weeks of the season.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I guess I just don't get either mindset right now.  Both sides, one who think he's going to be a bust and the other who is convinced he'll be a great starter, are basing their opinions off of 13 college games, 4 preseason games, and 1 relief effort.  It's waaaay to early to tell either way.  Which is why Callahan should name him the starter for the rest of the year.  

Totally agree.

I "think" he has the ability to be our QB of the future but yeah, he needs to play asap imo.

2 hours ago, amm0409 said:

People forget about how well the defense played last year when we were 6-3.  Alex was averaging what like 1 TD a game.  Its debatable we would be where we are today even if Alex was starting.  Our defense been giving up 30pts a game before the Dolphins game

3 different stops (Niners, Chiefs, and Skins for 9 games) the defense and run game good to elite. Smith's intangibles and skill set is extremely complimentary to a defense and run game. It’s why his teammates and coaches love him at every stop: he literally receives no credit (teammates receive it all) and he literally can careless. It took him a while with the Niners early to reach that point mentally, but the dude is selfless and truly is all about the win column. This ISNT the norm, a QB who can careless about his stats or how he’s perceived by others.  

It was no surprise the Skins were among the top in time of possession, turn over differential, and effective in the run game. This is literally what he’s provided for 8 years as a starter. Will he ever be elite? Nope, but he’ll give you a chance to win in 80-90% of games. 

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I’d like Haskins to get 2-4 games to chew on this off-season, but not in a rush to do so if team feels he needs more time. 

The "We were 6-3 last year with Alex!" crowd always forgets to mention that the Chiefs were also 6-3 in 2017 before losing 3 in a row.  We were headed down that same path last year, except our defense couldn't bail us out like the Chiefs did the final 4 weeks of the season.

Complimentary football— Smith provided value while not meshing with Gruden or scheme consistently throughout the year, due to his ability to consistently possess the ball, avoid TOs at an elite level, and assist in the run game. Nothing more, nothing less.  This is not the norm, a QB providing these kind of known variables each game. 

I hated the Alex injury for 2 reasons:

1. Nobody should have to go through what he went through, particularly for this franchise.  That injury was gruesome.  I heard today, he had a total of something like 17 surgeries.

2. Because it was an out for Bruce.  Even though the whole world barring the very small "but we were 6-3" crowd and Bruce Allen, knew this team was headed the other direction.  They certainly wouldn't have been the first team in history to start off with a decent record and then the law of averages causes them to return to the mean.  What gets lost in the game Alex went down in, is that he was freaking terrible.  An already conservative QB, learning a new system, with basically no weapons - so it wasn't all him.  But by no means did this look like a team that could contend against the upper half of the league.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I hated the Alex injury for 2 reasons:

1. Nobody should have to go through what he went through, particularly for this franchise.  That injury was gruesome.  I heard today, he had a total of something like 17 surgeries.

2. Because it was an out for Bruce.  Even though the whole world barring the very small "but we were 6-3" crowd and Bruce Allen, knew this team was headed the other direction.  They certainly wouldn't have been the first team in history to start off with a decent record and then the law of averages causes them to return to the mean.  What gets lost in the game Alex went down in, is that he was freaking terrible.  An already conservative QB, learning a new system, with basically no weapons - so it wasn't all him.  But by no means did this look like a team that could contend against the upper half of the league.

I hated it because we were a good winning team with him. He was carrying a pathetic squad to 6-3. With nobody. Right now we possibly have a legit WR, TE, And RB, and our defense is better now.

Instead we're sitting with one accidental win and a QB who will probably have a career year with whoever his 3rd team is and no second round pick.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hated it because we were a good winning team with him. He was carrying a pathetic squad to 6-3. With nobody. Right now we possibly have a legit WR, TE, And RB, and our defense is better now.

Instead we're sitting with one accidental win and a QB who will probably have a career year with whoever his 3rd team is and no second round pick.

Sad is it is to say, the defense and running game were carrying last year's pathetic squad.  Alex left so much on the table as a passer, which I'm sure was a combination of his conservative nature, new system, and lack of playmakers.  But be that as it may, the reason why we got so badly boatraced by good teams was because our defense was clearly outmatched, we couldn't run the ball successfully and Alex couldn't compete as a passer.  While a healthy Alex is certainly > Case, Colt or Dwayne, I'm not sure how much difference he makes to the win column given how things have transpired this season.

We are kind of at a point to where we need to see Dwayne, but it could be to his detriment to trot him out there with this team around him.

Man, I hated watching Alex Smith play for us. So many hitches to his throwing motion and no chemistry whatsoever with our guys.

I'm still in the camp that people are over-reacting to Haskins development or lack thereof so far and are creating artifical "must start" dead-lines due to the pressure of the Redskins current situation.

He only had one year of college ball. If he takes more than a year to get ready for the NFL, that is understandable. To my eyes he made progress with each consecutive preseason game and given the situation with the giants game and the personal hype he must have felt, I'm not too worried about the regression he showed in that game. I'm cool with giving him the reins after the bye week, when Guice should be back as well and letting him manage some games and get his feet wet.

If he shows no progression during those games, then I'll worry.

50 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sad is it is to say, the defense and running game were carrying last year's pathetic squad.  Alex left so much on the table as a passer, which I'm sure was a combination of his conservative nature, new system, and lack of playmakers.  But be that as it may, the reason why we got so badly boatraced by good teams was because our defense was clearly outmatched, we couldn't run the ball successfully and Alex couldn't compete as a passer.  While a healthy Alex is certainly > Case, Colt or Dwayne, I'm not sure how much difference he makes to the win column given how things have transpired this season.

We are kind of at a point to where we need to see Dwayne, but it could be to his detriment to trot him out there with this team around him.

I'm not saying we were a fantastic team, but 6-3 is better than the 2-14 or whatever since he went down. He was boring and certainly not carrying us, but it's crazy to dismiss his impact.

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not saying we were a fantastic team, but 6-3 is better than the 2-14 or whatever since he went down. He was boring and certainly not carrying us, but it's crazy to dismiss his impact.

Yea but he was JUST about to go on a losing streak. The only reason he didnt was because he got hurt (Thanks Bruce!) and now I cant prove any of this **** but ima say it anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not dismissing that he's better than what we have.  That's not even an argument in my mind.  I just think with how things have transpired this season, he wouldn't have them winning 2/3 games they play in.

Archived