Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 hours ago, robotfire said:

I am honestly glad he's not a runner.  It means he had to use his brain and QB skills to be that good.  Runners tend to rely on that skill, which works great until you face a playoff opponent that knows to put a spy on you or something.

It also means he’s had to play against and decipher coverages and schemes that aren’t geared to stop the run first. When the fear of getting gashed goes away imo is when young QBs can start to struggle. We’ve seen it with RG3 and to a lesser extent Dak Prescott when Zeke was out 

20 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

And he is only 21 years old. Incredibly value to get a QB with his traits at 15. 

I still can't believe that, of all teams, it happened to us.  Part of me is so scarred that I'm waiting for the monkey's paw to close and a nuclear war to break out and end the NFL or something like that.  We're supposed to be the hard luck losers, could it be that the worm is actually turning for us?

1 hour ago, kfrankie said:

Does anyone know why he's wearing a huge knee brace on his left knee, but not his right?  Hopefully its just a protective measure for his front leg, much like (most) offensive linemen all wear knee braces as essential equipment now.  He doesn't have an injury history does he?

Can anyone answer this question? I did not hear of injury issue with Haskins during the draft. Inquiring minds need to know!

BTW if he works out to be the franchise QB for a decade or more we can then change our name from the Redskins to the Haskins :)

I don't think he has quick feet in the pocket, rather he's a pro-active shuffler, if that makes sense.  He never stays on spot, he knows protections and blitz lanes, so knows where pressure is likely coming from and starts drifting away from that.

Depending on the type of QB you are, that could wind up being more valuable than a QB with quick feet who only reacts to pressure felt instead of that and knowing where pressure would likely come from anyways.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Alright I've got to run, but if you want, we can finish explaining Haskins's breakdowns later. But the long story short is Haskins is a tremendously gifted and instinctive pocket passer with an NFL level feel for the position despite being a RS sophomore.   He's got it all and we were incredibly lucky to get him.  If he'd gone back for his junior year, he would have been competing to go #1 overall next season with Alabama's QB.

Yes please cause I learned alot from this. I also have questions, but im at work so I cant view the video along side you explanation so I will save those for after I leave work and can view both side by side. 

This was awesome. I can certainly see you doing this more often >_>  

28 minutes ago, wrecker said:

Can anyone answer this question? I did not hear of injury issue with Haskins during the draft. Inquiring minds need to know!

BTW if he works out to be the franchise QB for a decade or more we can then change our name from the Redskins to the Haskins :)

I heard someone on NFL network say during the draft that it was to protect against injury, not because he had one. 

But take that with a grain of salt - you know they often just say ****. 

27 minutes ago, wrecker said:

He wore it as a precaution to stabilize the knee and avoid injury. He said last week he wont be wearing it in the NFL

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/dwayne-haskins-will-shed-knee-brace-in-nfl/

I’m wondering, now that we have a new QB and the league knows we have some serious fan indifference/waning interest/empty seats issues if this means we are going to be on Hard Knocks to try and get some positive PR. It looks bad for the NFL when half our stadium is empty or filled with the away team’s colors 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think he has quick feet in the pocket, rather he's a pro-active shuffler, if that makes sense.  He never stays on spot, he knows protections and blitz lanes, so knows where pressure is likely coming from and starts drifting away from that.

Depending on the type of QB you are, that could wind up being more valuable than a QB with quick feet who only reacts to pressure felt instead of that and knowing where pressure would likely come from anyways.

You actually put that really well.  I couldn't find the words myself.

I think that this is the only way a statue-esque (not that he is, just in general) quarterback can survive.  Happy feet waste time, happy slow feet waste yards.  For him to just know where to go and when at 30 MPH is way better than zooming around while your GPS recalculates your route at 90 MPH.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

His drops and climbs are pretty quick though.  He's got a nice stride and nice urgency to his steps.  And I like that he tends to reset quickly after the climb so that he doesn't have to arm everything after getting moved off his drop.  He does a solid job staying on balance.  Big picture, the movement skills are a lot of why that completion percentage was so high.  I think they're better than his reputation suggests.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Yes please cause I learned alot from this. I also have questions, but im at work so I cant view the video along side you explanation so I will save those for after I leave work and can view both side by side. 

This was awesome. I can certainly see you doing this more often >_>  

All I'm doing is taking his explanation and defining his terminology/slowing it down.  I could listen to Dwayne break down his film all day.  He gives such a great window into the way he thinks and feels out the game.  Like that guy said, Dwayne is one of the best prospecty at explaining what's going on and what he was reading that I've heard.  He could be a good teacher.

can someone tell me where the rumors of him having a delayed throwing motion came from? I never noticed it watching him during the season and his proday/combine seems like he has a normal NFL QB throwing motion, I mean he isn't aaron rodgers but his arm motion doesn't look any different to me than Brady or Goff 

I tried to stay away from most of the QB's in the draft because I didn't want us to trade up.

What are the negatives for Dwayne and why he was on the board at pick #15?  I'm looking at a bunch of his film now, and why did he fall to #15 when guys like Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Mitch Trubisky, etc went Top 3?  Those guys had holes in their game, but people thought either highly enough of them they could develop more, or thought they had less holes than Dwayne Haskins.

Common holes to Haskins game that are listed are poor footwork, lack of experience, pro-readiness.  Footwork is something that can be developed.  Lack of experience is a worry, although he improved as the season went on instead of faded.  Pro-readiness is a mixed bag with Haskins.  He understands protections and blitz threats, so that's fine.  But he only played out of Shotgun (that I've seen), so I can understand this knock.

In a weak QB class, he fell to #15.  What else am I missing here in regards to Haskins?

I'm attempting to reconcile some of what we've seen in here that speaks well of Haskins' prospects versus the lower opinion that Chris Cooley has of the selection, primarily because I think he's been good at projecting QB performance in our offense under Shanahan and Gruden.  A good start is right here, froma  couple of months ago:

18:26 in for the Haskins breakdown: https://player.fm/series/cooley-at-the-park/episode-47-cooley-breaks-down-qbs-dwayne-haskins-and-daniel-jones

I don't think all of it is unfair, some of it even corroborated by Haskins in the BTN interview (specifically mentions wanting to see his receiver's body language and showing his eyes before the throw, Cooley mentions this in a negative sense).  Other issues being criticisms of Ohio State's offense in comparison to a pro system, this he brings up again more recently on Kevin Sheehan's show noting one particular play with a shallow cross and a hook over top of it that they run a dozen times in one game to the tune of 200+ yards that is predicated on WR doing most of the work after catching a ball underneath.  He notes that's not really Haskins' fault, and that you'd know more about if he capable of more than that after talking to him.  Some noting that a lot of the line checks involve the rest of the team looking to the sideline for the call, but he also clarifies this more recently that it's the same way for every other QB in this draft class so it is par for the course.  He heavily praises the production and the arm talent, so it's a mixed bag review.  I'd be curious if he got to talk ball with him if he'd come away more impressed, time will tell.

19 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

can someone tell me where the rumors of him having a delayed throwing motion came from? I never noticed it watching him during the season and his proday/combine seems like he has a normal NFL QB throwing motion, I mean he isn't aaron rodgers but his arm motion doesn't look any different to me than Brady or Goff 

His mechanics and motion are really sound from the feet up. He does drop the ball a touch lower than the ideal when he starts his motion but it's only a touch. There is very little to clean up in regard to his throwing mechanics. Like most College QBs hes has not a lot of reps under centre so there will some work to be done on footwork coming out on 3/5 step and play action. But overall I personally think he's very clean from a mechanics perspective.

I've heard some scouts say his eyes get ahead of his feet when he is working through progressions - in other words he does not reset his feet quickly enough as he moves from 1 to 2 to 3. That might be something that needs a little work.

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Already getting something similar from my uncle.  It’s ridiculous.

This is a thing.  

Unfortunately, its pervasive and present even in the most friendly of forums.  

He is literally one of the highest football IQs to come out of this draft.

I like Joe Theismann a lot.  I remember being a really young kid, probably 6 or 7 years old and going to Joe Theismann's restaurant in Vienna, VA.  He happened to be sitting at the next table, called me over, signed a picture for me.  I've still got it somewhere.  A little too young to remember the injury.  I've seen him over the years and still get excited to see him...seeing all those guys I grew up watching and hearing about like Jacoby, Gary Clark, etc...always a big thrill.

But...Joe, c'mon.  It's a jersey number and while you're a Redskins legend it's not like you're in the Montana class.  Give the kid the number, make him feel welcome.

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like Joe Theismann a lot.  I remember being a really young kid, probably 6 or 7 years old and going to Joe Theismann's restaurant in Vienna, VA.  He happened to be sitting at the next table, called me over, signed a picture for me.  I've still got it somewhere.  A little too young to remember the injury.  I've seen him over the years and still get excited to see him...seeing all those guys I grew up watching and hearing about like Jacoby, Gary Clark, etc...always a big thrill.

But...Joe, c'mon.  It's a jersey number and while you're a Redskins legend it's not like you're in the Montana class.  Give the kid the number, make him feel welcome.

It will work out.

Haskins was asked about wearing number seven on draft night.

He responded by saying that he would need to talk to Theismann first (didn't want to put the cart before the course).

Archived