Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I suspect that interpretation is about your personal feelings rather than what’s actually present.

right, this is a message board where people express their personal opinions and feelings - nailed it.  I am 100% certain im not alone on this.

1 minute ago, ggarriso said:

right, this is a message board where people express their personal opinions and feelings - nailed it.  I am 100% certain im not alone on this.

Exercises in conflation, brilliant. Yes, you expressed your deluded belief in something that isn’t present, nailed, indeed.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Wonderful

At least social media platforms are finally evolving past LIKE or nothing.

I think if I was an NFL GM, I would push for contacts that includes bonuses for players that do not have a social media presence, or includes fines for any week that a coach or teammate is asked by the media for their response to something negative or questionable the player posted on social media.

If I were on social media Id like it too... Surprising how easy it is to get a rise out of people. No news today... Hmm Haskins liked a post! What a disgrace to this well established franchise! How dare he?!

LMMFAO id be surprised if the overwhelming majority of the team wasnt glad to see him gone- including folks not on the team.. Anyone see if DJ posted anything?? He hit the nail on the head last i read

Just to play devils advocate here... Any of you qb gurus- not a jab Im serious- have any thpughts on how his mechanics might work at this level? Im from the golf world... Where people like Bubba Watson and Jim Furyk would have never won a damn thing if they changed all of their mechanics to fit the "proper" swing. In this world there are many motions to get the desired results, but where fundamentals are still taught to be "right". Only right for you isnt always right for me.

Serious question.. If he improves on the mental part can his abilities carry him? Or is this a situation where he is going to be hit or miss day in and day out until he transfers his weight to the lead leg correctly?

9 hours ago, CowboyKillerz said:

If I were on social media Id like it too... Surprising how easy it is to get a rise out of people. No news today... Hmm Haskins liked a post! What a disgrace to this well established franchise! How dare he?!

LMMFAO id be surprised if the overwhelming majority of the team wasnt glad to see him gone- including folks not on the team.. Anyone see if DJ posted anything?? He hit the nail on the head last i read

Just to play devils advocate here... Any of you qb gurus- not a jab Im serious- have any thpughts on how his mechanics might work at this level? Im from the golf world... Where people like Bubba Watson and Jim Furyk would have never won a damn thing if they changed all of their mechanics to fit the "proper" swing. In this world there are many motions to get the desired results, but where fundamentals are still taught to be "right". Only right for you isnt always right for me.

Serious question.. If he improves on the mental part can his abilities carry him? Or is this a situation where he is going to be hit or miss day in and day out until he transfers his weight to the lead leg correctly?

We all pretty much talked about this on the previous pages.

Mechanical flaws are okay as long as there is a base. Mechanical flaws are okay as long as you're getting results. Mechanical flaws are not okay when you are consistently not putting the ball where it needs to be. Haskins has flashes of brilliance thus far but he's mostly mired in poor throws and bad decisions. Until we see more consistency in his game despite the mechanical flaws the flaws will continue to be pointed towards.

I think understanding the pro game is going to help him a bit, but I don't believe that he has the upper body strength to throw a ball across his body without getting his legs/hips into his throws. He has a bad tendency there. 

Even the "flawed" mechanical QBs use their bodies very well.

Haskins most mechanical flaw is his inability to use his hips in his throws due to the way he delivers the ball. And that stems from wild footwork.

It can be fixed.

I do think there is a fine line between setting out on significantly changing a player with obvious talents, vs letting them be and tweaking instead.  How much regression does one endure, before determining change in the end was ultimately detrimental.  The golf swing seems a good comparable for QBs. Anyone that has set out to change their swing may agree it's tough to change things that we feel do well (enough), naturally. You end up re-inventing the wheel to be x % points better. But when its bad, its bad, and change must be attempted.

Requisite

welcome-to-the-party-pal.jpg?zoom=1.5625

Just saw where Haskins approved of the firing and stamped his approval on Instagram. A real classy QB the Skins drafted. I really hoped we wouldn't draft him and this is just another small reason why. Bad decision maker. He can be glad it happened but to publicly applause is classless. Good job Danny / Bruce   You want him you got him.

"By the way. JP showed me during the break, and I almost think it has to be Photoshopped," said Eric Bickel. "You're gonna think this is no big deal, but I think it's... I just think it's not classy, that Dwayne Haskins liked the NBC Sports Washington or whatever, Redskins Today, whatever it was, story that said Jay Gruden was fired today. JP showed me that on Instagram."

"And I had to ask you what does liking mean?" said Jason Bishop, who doesn't use social media. "I thought it meant just read it, he just read it, but he actually liked the article or whatever."

"It's like giving like a thumbs up," Bickel explained. "No, he went out of his way to say I like this story, I like this comment."

"Well, can you blame him? The guy doesn't like him," said Bishop. "Gruden didn't want to play him. He knows, he didn't want to draft him."

"Right," Bickel agreed. "I understand it, but it's not a good look."

"Yeah, I would agree," said Bishop.

16 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Just saw where Haskins approved of the firing and stamped his approval on Instagram. A real classy QB the Skins drafted. I really hoped we wouldn't draft him and this is just another small reason why. Bad decision maker. He can be glad it happened but to publicly applause is classless. Good job Danny / Bruce   You want him you got him.

"By the way. JP showed me during the break, and I almost think it has to be Photoshopped," said Eric Bickel. "You're gonna think this is no big deal, but I think it's... I just think it's not classy, that Dwayne Haskins liked the NBC Sports Washington or whatever, Redskins Today, whatever it was, story that said Jay Gruden was fired today. JP showed me that on Instagram."

"And I had to ask you what does liking mean?" said Jason Bishop, who doesn't use social media. "I thought it meant just read it, he just read it, but he actually liked the article or whatever."

"It's like giving like a thumbs up," Bickel explained. "No, he went out of his way to say I like this story, I like this comment."

"Well, can you blame him? The guy doesn't like him," said Bishop. "Gruden didn't want to play him. He knows, he didn't want to draft him."

"Right," Bickel agreed. "I understand it, but it's not a good look."

"Yeah, I would agree," said Bishop.

In reply to their groundbreaking conversation...

I would say:

"Callahan doesn't want to play him, either. So does that mean he's going to "like" when Callahan is fired? Although, he may not get fired given the Redskins general level of unattractiveness so he could even be the HC moving forward. Oh, and how would Dwayne feel if Gruden "liked" an Instagram post if the Skins draft a new QB next year? He wouldn't, because it's a bad decision, but kid or not, it's a bad look. It doesn't destroy the kid, but it's a bad look."

I need to find a way to get some real media presence. :ols:

Sheehan weighed in on this a few minutes ago. 

He said he talked to some he knows in the FO about Haskins.  They told him they see him as a project, long term project.  But also said with QBs you have to see them in action at some point because its tough to know one way or another if they have it or not until you actually see them play in live action.

Listening to Paulsen yesterday, it is clear some in the FO have doubts about Haskins if his sources are correct.  But if I add Sheehan and Paulsen's narrative together, I gather they will play Haskins eventually this season to see what he's got. 

With all that noise, it gives me at the very least there is a mixed impression about Haskins in that building which have nothing to do with Jay.  So its made me turn very much in favor of @RandyHolt's point.  Now I do want to see the kid.   And that would go double if they lose to the Dolphins which might put them on the fast track to Tua. 

I don't understand why it's even a question...

They HAVE to see him play. Period. Whether it's because they already plan on moving away from him and want some film to help unload him via trade, because they are looking to see if he has the tools to be the franchise guy, just to get a first round quarterback some in-game time, etc.

My guess is that the damned good culture that is being cultivated here and Doug's hard work (how do I check his time card) means that the front office thinks we can still win some games and make a run for the playoffs, and that McCoy or Keenum still give them a chance to win (which is pretty damning of Haskins, really, that even the people that wanted him aren't pining for him...)

But that logic is totally ****ed. It's like they haven't seen this team play football games yet.

Or they think Callahan's 3 yards and a cloud of dust methods are going to save us.

Look every team needs a good backup QB. QBacks get hurt and any team needs a pretty good backup to come in and at least shoot par. That is what Haskins is. A backup QB.  

The Skins need to draft another QB who is extremely accurate and can read defenses quickly. Don't draft Tua he isbn't the answer either just a slightly better Haskins. I'll check out the prospects and give my opinion shortly. I know who cares but i'm doing it anyway. 

Problem is Danny spent a 1st round pick on a back up QB who hopefully and i mean hopefully can save par.

Ok i found my QB to draft next year who is the real deal.      Justin Herbert?  Nope       Tua?  Nope    Either Trevor Lawrence from Clemson  or if they want to wait until later in the draft i like  K.J. Costello Stanford.  Both head and shoulders better than Haskins.  Honorable mention. Brock Purdy. A magician with the ball Outstanding pocket presence and awareness with a pretty good arm and accuracy. I like him. 

I would trade Haskins and ride with Colt if we could get our draft pick back but there isn't a team out there that would even give us a 3rd rounder for him. Best we can hope for is he is a competent backup who won't lose games. And there's nothing wrong with that. Even team needs an Earl Morrall to

Bob Griese / Johnny Unitas type. Now we need our Bob Griese / Johnny Unitas type.

It was so funny seeing how many members of the media, both local and national, who were legitimately shocked when Callahan said Haskins might be the 3rd stringer and may be inactive for some games.  Like they really bought into this nonsense that Gruden was going out of his way to shun this kid because he wanted Daniel Jones...who was taken by the Giants 9 picks before the Redskins.  Callahan being non-committal on when Haskins would start should scare the hell out of every fan.  

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It was so funny seeing how many members of the media, both local and national, who were legitimately shocked when Callahan said Haskins might be the 3rd stringer and may be inactive for some games.  Like they really bought into this nonsense that Gruden was going out of his way to shun this kid because he wanted Daniel Jones...who was taken by the Giants 9 picks before the Redskins.  Callahan being non-committal on when Haskins would start should scare the hell out of every fan.  

I don’t mind noncommittal, but he’d better have a plan to put him in at some point this season (hopefully for several games at the least).  This would be one time I don’t mind the FO stepping in because it’s pretty crucial to know what we have with Haskins.  

Long term projects just aren't a thing in today's NFL. Look at Gardner Minshew in Jacksonville. Dude is a 6th round rookie who like Haskins has very limited college experience and he's lighting it up.

Put him out there. Design a scheme that utilizes his strengths and masks his weaknesses. I'm not saying he's gonna light it up, but you draft a kid 15th overall, you HAVE to see what he has. This isn't a Mahomes situation in KC where they had Alex Smith playing at a high level.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t mind noncommittal, but he’d better have a plan to put him in at some point this season (hopefully for several games at the least).  This would be one time I don’t mind the FO stepping in because it’s pretty crucial to know what we have with Haskins.  

I am on board with this and have wanted to Haskins start at the beginning of the year.  However, if he doesn't play any significant time this year, that tells me that he is nowhere close to being a 1st round talent, and that Snyder (yet again) wasted a 1st round pick on a massive project QB without any real direction for his development. 

1 hour ago, Sonny9TD said:

Ok i found my QB to draft next year who is the real deal.      Justin Herbert?  Nope       Tua?  Nope    Either Trevor Lawrence from Clemson  or if they want to wait until later in the draft i like  K.J. Costello Stanford.  Both head and shoulders better than Haskins.  Honorable mention. Brock Purdy. A magician with the ball Outstanding pocket presence and awareness with a pretty good arm and accuracy. I like him. 

Haven't watched Purdy much, so I'll reserve comment... I have some questions about Tua, too, but I also see why he's being touted a big deal. Will know more when I watch more film.

Haven't watched a lot of Costello, either.

But Lawrence is not an out of nowhere prospect. He's the top prospect in the 2021 draft

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Long term projects just aren't a thing in today's NFL. Look at Gardner Minshew in Jacksonville. Dude is a 6th round rookie who like Haskins has very limited college experience and he's lighting it up.

Put him out there. Design a scheme that utilizes his strengths and masks his weaknesses. I'm not saying he's gonna light it up, but you draft a kid 15th overall, you HAVE to see what he has. This isn't a Mahomes situation in KC where they had Alex Smith playing at a high level.

Again, though, the Skins called the plays that were his strengths against the Giants.

Where I *think* the Skins screwed the pooch, and I stress the part think because I don't know what happened beyond the million different stories we read...

I think they tossed the entire playbook at Haskins and told him to learn it. Even though, when he came in, they intended to focus on his skillset. So Haskins has attempted to learn more than was intended for him.

But now that I think about it... I'm not sure that's an error on the Skins end. I'm not sure it's not. It tells you a lot if Haskins is struggling picking up the entirety of the playbook (not necessarily executing it). 

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I am on board with this and have wanted to Haskins start at the beginning of the year.  However, if he doesn't play any significant time this year, that tells me that he is nowhere close to being a 1st round talent, and that Snyder (yet again) wasted a 1st round pick on a massive project QB without any real direction for his development. 

I like Haskins, but frankly, I believe it was a dumb pick.  It’s like they forgot Smith wasn’t going to play this year.  Or that Gruden could be fired before his contract was up.  Or that they wanted Gruden to win now.  Still rooting for the kid though and I’m not giving up on him if Callahan doesn’t play him (because that would be a colossally stupid move for the franchise’s sake).   

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Design a scheme that utilizes his strengths and masks his weaknesses. 

That's what Gruden was here for.

Going to have to bring in a HC who is all-in on developing Haskins for that.

Bring in the best coach period, let them decide who to play/develop is probably a better approach.

OK so Haskins is not ready and may not be until next year.  Fine. That means he was massively overdrafted and should be treated as a later round project with potential.  

What does this mean?  It means we absolutely need to take a QB with our #1 pick in next year's draft.  Hitting on a QB is typically a coin flip anyway so having two not a bad thing.  Only chance for any kind of success for this dumpster fire of an organization will be getting an elite QB. 

Archived