Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

14 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Whats your theory? In the last 15 years only a few qbs that i know of that were drafted in the first round didnt play at some point their first season...JP Losman and Paxton Lynch..\Mahomes is an anomaly..

Well first of all no one just figures out how to be an NFL QB on their own. If it was that easy then it wouldn't be so hard to find one. Come on lol. And raw talent is always a premium in the NFL because you cant teach that. You can teach the other stuff sometimes but you cant teach talent. People get picked in the first round all the time because of talent and alot of times it works out for them. 

If you are asking about when to start him, my answer is either when hes the best QB on the roster or when we can protect him AND the season is over. Outside of that he should sit. He may be a big boy, but the only way I know for sure he wont have a career here is if he stays getting hurt like the last one. We should make avoiding that the #1 priority right now. Cause remember, people ask how much he can learn from the sideline, but Griffin couldn't even practice and that is ultimately what killed his career. You cant get better like that. 

1 minute ago, Tuck28 said:

That makes sense to me.  I have not thought about it that way.

I worry about this scenario more than anything else with this team right now. 

I will be the salmon.  What about this idea. Start Haskins week 1 with the directive he WILL be sat for the rest of the season after X number of games, or X number of bad plays.  If he dominates, leave him in.  Let him get game experience before the season goes off the rails, the injuries across the offense kick in, the coach, fired.  The season ruined, and his supporting cast playing with no desire to play to their best.  Just give me my ****ing paycheck. Why sit him to learn the playbook he very likely won't have next year.  Let him get game tape immediately so he can focus the rest of the regular season on specifics. 

That is just a passing thought obviously now in week 3.  So Jones becomes the next development experiment. If he dominates, sitting 2 weeks was the key.  If he flops, he didn't sit long enough, or he just sucked.   We better help him suck in week 4 or I am going to be ****ing pissed we passed on nerdman.

Edited by RandyHolt

Why start Haskins at all this year?  There is no way barring a playoff run that Gruden survives this next off season (not sure he makes the regular season honestly).  So why through our rookie out there to learn a system that he will just have to replace during off season.  Let him sit the bench, watch, study tape, and work fundamentals.  Then develop his habits under his new HC next year.

7 minutes ago, mcdonaldrw said:

Why start Haskins at all this year?  There is no way barring a playoff run that Gruden survives this next off season (not sure he makes the regular season honestly).  So why through our rookie out there to learn a system that he will just have to replace during off season.  Let him sit the bench, watch, study tape, and work fundamentals.  Then develop his habits under his new HC next year.

His biggest knock so far is lack of experience. There's only one way to get that.  Give the new HC real time tape. Route trees and verbage may change, but he'll have to learn that regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Haskins needs to sit the entire year. He can learn from Cavanaugh's tutelage, watch and understand the speed of the game at this level, and be ready when the appropriate time comes. It ain't this year. I feel bad that the kid has wound up with such a truly dysfunctional organization. No competent leadership where it matters most, and that's hurting player development.

9 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Haskins needs to sit the entire year. He can learn from Cavanaugh's tutelage, watch and understand the speed of the game at this level, and be ready when the appropriate time comes. It ain't this year. I feel bad that the kid has wound up with such a truly dysfunctional organization. No competent leadership where it matters most, and that's hurting player development.

I very much agree with you in theory but I have to assume that at some point this season Keenum will get banged up or that we'll lose too many games to justify leaving Case in the starting spot. Maybe Colt will be healthy by the time one of these scenarios comes about but is there really ANY use in starting McCoy anymore?

Edited by Chachie
2 hours ago, mcdonaldrw said:

Gruden could play as a last ditch effort to save his job.  Say Haskins comes in mid season, looks really good in this system, and we win a game or two that we werent expected to win.  Maybe Snyder decides to just hire a new D coordinator and keep Gruden in place.

3 hours ago, jbird said:

If we lose to the bears he needs to start against the Gmen.

Trade TW, J Norman, and Jordan Reed if he is healthy and call it a rebuild.

Disagree- As long as Keenum is playing as well as he is keep starting him (He's performing as a top 10 QB right now). If this continues he'll be signed next year by another team to a fairly lucrative contract giving us a 3rd rounder in 2021. Haskins can continue to learn and be ready to go next season. Additionally this prevents or at least reduces the likelihood (if Haskins doesn't knock it out of the park) that the Redskins will pull a Cardinals play and draft another QB.

Edited by nonniey

I would like to see Haskins get one drive in the first half and one drive in the second half of every game till we feel he can start a full game. Maybe that takes this full season doing that. But then he can learn from the sideline while also getting some actual game experience. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

His biggest knock so far is lack of experience. There's only one way to get that.  Give the new HC real time tape. Route trees and verbage may change, but he'll have to learn that regardless.

That's not really a weakness.  It might be the reason behind certain weaknesses, but the weaknesses (diagnosing zone coverages, setting his protections, developing his footwork in the short game) are there.  And they are things that he doesn't have to play to work on.

Dwayne is smart and he can actually get something out of mental reps.  And I believe that absolutely every young quarterback could benefit from a redshirt year in order to get acclimated to the speed and style of the NFL game, but most don't get that luxury.

Case Keenum is a one year stopgap and he is expendable, frankly.  It benefits everyone involved to have him out there in the short term while the offensive line is trying to figure things out, and while we're getting beat up by these dominant teams on the schedule.

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

This franchise isn't great, but it could be way, way worse for Haskins.  I mean good God, look at what Adam Gase has done with his QBs.  Look at what Jeff Fisher and John Fox did with theirs.  The biggest knock against Gruden right now is the lack of job security he's been able to win for himself.  He's actually been good for his quarterbacks on the whole.  Dalton and Cousins both developed and played well for him and he's clearly gotten Keenum playing way above his typical level.  Even Alex Smith played fairly well for him and the offense was pretty sketchy.  These are all pretty different QBs stylistically, so it's not about just having one type of system and one type of player that works for it.

If Gruden actually gets to develop Haskins, it'll be good for the young man.  Gruden gets the QB position whereas so many other coaches are completely clueless when it comes to how to develop and play QBs.  It could be so much worse.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is that Gruden gets fired at season's end and we bring in a new coach and Haskins has to learn an entirely new offense, or worse the new coach will want his own QB.

This is why you don't QBs for hot seat coaches. You draft them early in a coach's tenure or on a team where the coach is very much secure(i.e. Andy Reid on KC or John Harbaugh in Baltimore).

In blowouts I would like to see Jay get Haskins some reps late in games.  Start chipping away at his lack of experience. is there a more predictable time that it may happen, than a monday night game at Fedex? I still call bunk that once you put him in, he has to stay in forever until he is a star, or busts. 

We are seeing young QBs getting forced in around the league and doubt they are getting ruined.  Lets be reality yeah we are ripe to botch his development, which likely includes with being afraid to play him to the point Dan makes a call. The grass will not be greener next year, as our dysfunction is systemic. :ols:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by RandyHolt
19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What are the chances that Jones is legit, that yesterday's performance will be commonplace for him?  And what are the chances that Haskins busts?  It'd be the most Redskins thing ever, that a dolt like the Giants GM turns out to be a genius while we're still stuck here with Bruce.  

I wasn't that impressed by Jones.

He had some great plays, and he's definitely an upgrade. But he has terrible ball security and now that there is some actual film on him it's going to be a different story with him moving forward. Except against us. We'll somehow manage to let him have a career game. Then he'll come down to earth.

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What are the chances that Jones is legit, that yesterday's performance will be commonplace for him?  And what are the chances that Haskins busts?  It'd be the most Redskins thing ever, that a dolt like the Giants GM turns out to be a genius while we're still stuck here with Bruce.  

It would be a very Redskinsish thing.  We don't do franchise QBs here that's for other teams in the NFC East and the rest of the league.  I've been a Jones critic, not that I thought he would be a bust but a low ceiling QB.  He has looked better than I thought thus far.  Having said that, the media is getting way carried away with him.  they seem to want to build a Shakespearian story of the dude getting no respect to instead being one of the best QBs in the NFL.  I've watched his every snap in preseason and during the season.  He's looked good but IMO not "amazing" like some depict his performances.  But a good start for a young QB.  Mostly dink and dunk.   Some as to what I didn't like about him -- inconsistent accuracy post 10 yards and being turnover prone has showed itself, too.  

If I had to pick three things right now for Jones over Haskins it would be:  A.  Jones has much more college experience so he's more pro ready.  B.  Jones has better wheels.  C.  Haskins can struggle with throwing balls in the flat sometimes.  Jones kills it with balls in the flat.

I mentioned Haskins struggles with throwing the ball in the flat during training camp.  I didn't really see any of the beat guys there echo that.  But weeks ago a QB coach (who actually knows Haskins) mentioned the same thing on TV.  It's sort of a weird thing IMO about him because I'd figure its an easy throw.  But his consistency in the 5 practices I saw wasn't there with those throws.  He missed too many of them or would throw too many behind the receiver where they'd have to reach back.    Jones kills it on those throws, that's his bread and butter throw.

But Haskins has much more mustard on this throws.  He has better IMO accuracy with intermediate throws.   They both are hot and cold with the deep ball but Haskins has the better arm.   They both are hot and cold with intermediate-deepish out routes but Haskins IMO is better with them.    No doubt if Jones has a good year it does add a little pressure on Haskins in part because their narratives overlap each other.  And Sheehan among others said in the off season they heard that Jay and some others in the building liked Jones over Haskins -- we don't know if that part is true -- but that narrative is out there for what its worth.  My thought on it is even if it is true they didn't have the option to take Jones anyway.   

A number of draft geeks were critical of Jones before and after the draft and seem to now being doing a mea culpa.  I think they are getting carried away.   He had one good not great game against a bad defense IMO.  One game.  I'd want to see more.  I wasn't blown away,

Edited by Skinsinparadise
33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Since most local reporters have said that the football people "liked but didn't love" Haskins and Sheehan saying (with many others like Finlay, Keim, Cooley, etc. confirming on his podcast) that Haskins was a Snyder pick...I'd say the odds are very high.  I feared this from the moment the "league done messed up" comment and all of the Giants fans freaking out over the Jones pick and Skins fans lapping it up.  Every thing I've ever heard about Jones/Haskins is that Haskins has the higher ceiling, but he also has the lower floor.  

18 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Since most local reporters have said that the football people "liked but didn't love" Haskins and Sheehan saying (with many others like Finlay, Keim, Cooley, etc. confirming on his podcast) that Haskins was a Snyder pick...I'd say the odds are very high.  I feared this from the moment the "league done messed up" comment and all of the Giants fans freaking out over the Jones pick and Skins fans lapping it up.  Every thing I've ever heard about Jones/Haskins is that Haskins has the higher ceiling, but he also has the lower floor.  

I agree with the ceiling-floor comment.  I actually had concerns about both before the draft.  I preferred Haskins over Jones.  But I did think Jones = high floor, low ceiling.  I disagree with those who say he killed it yesterday.  But he was good.  Haskins to me has a lower floor-higher ceiling than Jones.  Both Haskins and Jones to me looked better than I expected in the preseason.

Jones was a good with short passes (0-10) at Duke -- slants, hitches, throws in the flat, etc.  In the NFL thus far he seems like a magician in that same range.  He doesn't seem to miss any of the short throws.   He was sketchy beyond 10 yards in college.  He still is hit and miss from that range in the NFL from what I saw but the highlight guys won't have anything to do with showing any of those misses -- they are just showing his completes on that front.  He was turnover prone in college.  In the NFL he hasn't thrown picks but he's showed his fumble tendency both in the preseason and yesterday.

But yeah Sheehan (he had Keim on a podcast awhile back and he didn't contradict him) in particular has made the case that Jay (he once said Kyle, too) liked Jones over Haskins.  And they liked but not loved Haskins and graded him as a 2nd rounder.  Hoffman backs up that point, too.  I suspect (based on Reddick who seems close with Doug -- based on an interview he once did) that Doug was Dan's key ally in the building about Haskins. 

Though I'll say I liked what I saw from Haskins in the preseason.  Nothing about Jones' game yesterday makes me feel worse about Haskins.  Haskins showed some flashes in the preseason.  I am though jaded about all the misses at QB over the years here that I am also not feeling like slam dunk we found a franchise QB either.  To me it has to play out.  Haskins seems like a competitive type.  So maybe Jones performing well pushes Haskins -- if so that's good.

11 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Daniel Jones killed it yesterday and although Klyer Murray has struggled he has shown flashes of greatness and is learning on the field as opposed to holding a clipboard. Its time for Haskins to man up and take the field

I agree.  It's time for Haskins in my opinion.  Give him the rest of the year.  His play could determine what we do in the next draft.  Our next head coach will want to see some film of him in real games.  

• Like 1

I'm conflicted now because of how well Keenum has looked in the first 2 weeks.  And I don't think 1 dud game would be enough to yank him to start Haskins.  But I'd rather start Haskins sooner than later to see what we have in him and if he's worth developing for the next coaching staff.  

Jones 3 season starter in college, Haskins 1 year starter in college.  There is a difference.    Don't get the rush to start Haskins.   I am not a big Jones guy to say the least but I expected him to play better than Haskins out of the gate.  I said so in the off season, too.

We keep hearing from beat reporters (especially Finlay) that there are some in the building who don't want to see Haskins at all this season.  If they are saying that I doubt that's because he's killing it in practice.  I gather they think he needs more time.  Having said that I do think we end up seeing Haskins this season at some point.    But I don't get the need for it to be right away?  

• Like 2
  • MartinC changed the title to Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State