Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Dwayne - I never believed in you in the first place but with that said, I’m still sorry for you that you were drafted by this dumpster fire that will likely crater any potential career you could have had. 

you seem like a good kid. Hope you make it out in one piece 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
17 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Let's do it.  Rookie QBs start all over the league with success.  Give him a chance

Which rookie QBs?  Most are really bad their rookie season and start out of necessity.

17 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yep.

It's quickly approaching that time.....

You know I'm a Haskins fan, but he should not be playing right now.  I don't understand why you want to rush him into a bad situation.  That is going to hurt him, not help him.

Keenum to me has been good enough.  He's not the issue.  I want Haskins to be groomed the best way the coaches see fit.  And if they want him to sit and watch and learn the offense, I am more than cool with that.  The only shot the organization has to become a contender is for Haskins to emerge.   So in my view, that's all that matters.  I don't care if it makes the season more boring or it cost them another loss or whatever.  Their best shot to emerge is a good Haskins in 2020.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You know I'm a Haskins fan, but he should not be playing right now.  I don't understand why you want to rush him into a bad situation.  That is going to hurt him, not help him.

When I say "soon" I don't mean next game.

But if what I expect to happen does take place (being 1-4, 0-5) then yeah, It's "time".

And fwiw, this isn't an indictment of Keenum either.

I just think we're going to very quickly reach the point where we ask ourselves "What's the point of playing him any longer?"

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
11 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I just think we're going to very quickly reach the point where we ask ourselves "What's the point of playing him any longer?"

To give us a chance to win games and to protect Haskins.  Keenum has played well against real pressure.  He's not getting hit because he's managing the pressure super well right now.  If Haskins was out there, he'd be getting hit.  He's not going to be fast enough with his reads or skilled enough with his movement to manage the terrible protection and utter lack of production from the run game.  He'd be stuck in bad leverage football the whole game, the chains won't move, and neither us nor him would learn much this season.  I don't really want to see him rushed out there into a no-win situation where he gets his ass kicked and struggles and we get to spend the offseason listening to our dumb fanbase whine about him being a bust.

• Like 2

Classic look at the stat line and assume Keenum has been good.

He is missing wide open guys that Haskins could have hit.

Two plays:  PRich and VDavis were wide open, instead Case threw into double/triple coverage.  He should have been picked 2-3 times sunday, he just got lucky Cowgirls DBs cant catch.

Not saying Dwayne would have made those plays, but he has the arm strength to make them.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, illone said:

PRich and VDavis were wide open, instead Case threw into double/triple coverage.

That play where Keenum missed the Richardson read, Morgan Moses was in the process of getting smoked as it happened.  Keenum got hit as he threw and bent backwards in a very awkward way.  You really want Haskins to be taking that hit instead?

Keenum is doing his job.  He's soaking up snaps behind a bad offensive line, managing the pressure as well as anyone can expect, and keeping the passing game productive enough for us to have a chance if we could get some stops.  That's enough to keep his job, especially when the best thing for Haskins right now is to let him sit and learn.

• Thanks 1

If this organization were smart, they'd offer Keenum in trade deals to Pittsburgh(who just lost Big Ben for the season) and New Orleans(where Brees is out for 6 weeks)and try to get a mid round pick for him. Both those teams see themselves as contenders and would probably give up like a 4th or 5th for him, which is fine for us since Keenum won't be starting here in the long term anyway and our season is basically over. But of course, we're not a smart organization.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

To give us a chance to win games and to protect Haskins.  Keenum has played well against real pressure.  He's not getting hit because he's managing the pressure super well right now.  If Haskins was out there, he'd be getting hit.  He's not going to be fast enough with his reads or skilled enough with his movement to manage the terrible protection and utter lack of production from the run game.  He'd be stuck in bad leverage football the whole game, the chains won't move, and neither us nor him would learn much this season.  I don't really want to see him rushed out there into a no-win situation where he gets his ass kicked and struggles and we get to spend the offseason listening to our dumb fanbase whine about him being a bust.

Have to give the young QB some sort of running attack before trotting him out there. 

With that said, I’ve come to the conclusion below average to average pocket QBs will have below average to average run games and good to elite pocket QBs will have good to elite run games. I understand more nuances are involved, but the QB represents a huge piece of the pie. 

Alex Smith represents the exception to this rule, as he’s been able to QB successful rush offenses for a long period of time while being overall average. 

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Have to give the young QB some sort of running attack before trotting him out there. 

This simply isnt the case in the modern NFL.  You can use the pass to setup the run.  Depends on personnel and play calling, but it's very common.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If this organization were smart, they'd offer Keenum in trade deals to Pittsburgh(who just lost Big Ben for the season) and New Orleans(where Brees is out for 6 weeks)and try to get a mid round pick for him. Both those teams see themselves as contenders and would probably give up like a 4th or 5th for him, which is fine for us since Keenum won't be starting here in the long term anyway and our season is basically over. But of course, we're not a smart organization.

1) Both organizations are high on their back ups [NO is even high on their 3rd string] and 2) NFL mid year trades for QBs aren't notorious for playbook reasons.  Yes, recently Jimmy G pulled it off but not sure of many success stories outside of him recently.  Also, we most likely wouldn't hear any news unless it was leaked by Brucey Bruce that we picked up the phone and offered.

30 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Alex Smith represents the exception to this rule, as he’s been able to QB successful rush offenses for a long period of time while being overall average.  

I agree with you, and Alex Smith is actually a pretty decent QB overall, and he is specifically a good runner.  He actually invented the RPO on a busted play a thousand years ago back at Utah when Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen were there:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3D5MDpiKEY

Talk about an unbelievably good coaching staff BTW.

Alex Smith has always been an effective 6th blocker for his run games and it's a large part of why they were always effective.  He's one of the OG QBs who pioneered the modern option-heavy run game.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You might as well bench him the whole year then.  At least if you right, we have a better chance at a higher draft pick, i cant think of too many things that would enrage me more then a midround 1st out of this dumpster fire

• Like 1

My hope is that Cavanaugh's new assignment is to work closely with Haskins to develop him. I don't have any faith in Rattay, and i certainly don't want Gruden to have anything to do with bringing that kid along. Everybody in Cincy knows that Zampese was the one who elevated Dalton's game, not Gruden.

59 minutes ago, illone said:

This simply isnt the case in the modern NFL.  You can use the pass to setup the run.  Depends on personnel and play calling, but it's very common.

For sure, it’s not a have to, but is obviously helpful is all I’m saying.

I actually believe when ready he’ll improve the run game right away with his experience in RPO setting and pressure he’ll present each snap to defenses down the field. The Oline and RBs can stay the exact same and the run game will improve, IMO. 

With that said, I’d rather wait it out with him for as long as possible. 

Edited by wit33
24 minutes ago, arftech said:

The Giants has ended the Manning era and has named Daniel Jones their starter.  Good for them to make this move to get the young man acclimated to the position.

We will see. This could end multiple ways. Some QBs get acclimated. Most struggle and never get a chance because they are on bad teams. 

Edit: I am going to pay a little more attention to Giants games now. Im intrigued 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

I'm sure the question has been asked, if Haskins doesn't play this year and we get a new coaching staff, what does it matter if they begin to play him now?  If we get a new staff next year would everyone want him to sit again to learn a different offense?  Just asking for opinions because when I think about this type of situation I confuse myself.

we need to start Haskins at the miami game if we are 0-5 by then....no excuses no grooming no learning from the average qb in front of him if he can play he will figure things out on his own...gotta see what this kid has, and if its true hes super RAW then he was never a first round talent and should have never been picked at 15. We havent developed a quarterback ever no point in starting now especially when the one in question is a 1st round pick...i can understand the theory for someone chosen later in the draft.... you either can play football in the NFL or you cant. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
5 minutes ago, Tuck28 said:

I'm sure the question has been asked, if Haskins doesn't play this year and we get a new coaching staff, what does it matter if they begin to play him now?  If we get a new staff next year would everyone want him to sit again to learn a different offense?  Just asking for opinions because when I think about this type of situation I confuse myself.

If we get a new coaching staff we will be picking in the top 5 and he may not have a future here. Thats the fun thing about new head coaches. New coach may not say it out loud, but he doesnt have to. 

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

we need to start Haskins at the miami game if we are 0-5 by then....no excuses no grooming no learning from the average qb in front of him if he can play he will figure things out on his own...gotta see what this kid has, and if its true hes super RAW then he was never a first round talent and should have never been picked at 15.

Thats not how any of this works lol

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Whats your theory? In the last 15 years only a few qbs that i know of that were drafted in the first round didnt play at some point their first season...JP Losman and Paxton Lynch..\Mahomes is an anomaly..

Edited by CjSuAvE22
20 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If we get a new coaching staff we will be picking in the top 5 and he may not have a future here. Thats the fun thing about new head coaches. New coach may not say it out loud, but he doesnt have to. 

That makes sense to me.  I have not thought about it that way.

• MartinC changed the title to Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State