Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

16 hours ago, volsmet said:

There is little chance he can move the team as consistently as Case can, but he gives us the explosive play possibilities. Imo, it would be wise to start him every other week to start the season & evaluate things more closely & prepare more thoroughly as he adjusts to the NFL. Perfect way to use Alex Smith, let them work together on Keenum week.

That would be a novel approach ... don't really see any logic to it. What if he has a really good game? You going to pull him and start Keenum rather than let him build on the confidence and momentum (and visa versa to be fair)? 

Me unless Haskins clearly wins the job I would start Keenum for the first few weeks - first three is a tough opening stretch. I would use that extra time to continue to prepare to start him week 4 against the Giants if Keenum and the offense struggles.

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

@JaxJoe starring in our own invincible story.

The greatest Invincible story was NOT Vince Papale, it was our own Herb Mul-key. Not even close.

Contrary to what you saw in the movie, Papale had played professional football before, in the WFL. He had a rather average career in the NFL.

Mul-key had no football experience. He had to borrow money to pay for the bus fare to attend open tryouts. The first time he touched the ball in the NFL in his first preseason game, he ran back a kickoff for a TD. His second year in the league he made the probowl as a kick returner. His only start at RB, he gained 100+ yards against Dallas. Unfortunately, Hollywood had already seen a successful movie about a white jock in Philly beating the odds, and Vermeil by that time was more well-known than George Allen.

Whenever someone brings up Papale, ALWAYS SAY "Meh, he was no Herb Mul-key."

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That would be a novel approach ... don't really see any logic to it. What if he has a really good game? You going to pull him and start Keenum rather than let him build on the confidence and momentum (and visa versa to be fair)? 

Me unless Haskins clearly wins the job I would start Keenum for the first few weeks - first three is a tough opening stretch. I would use that extra time to continue to prepare to start him week 4 against the Giants if Keenum and the offense struggles.

There are definitely drawbacks, but this season is almost entirely about developing DH, imo. If he has a really good game, his confidence is going to last until he fails, it’s not going to dissipate as he prepares for his next game. The logic is in slowing down the transition for a guy who has started 14 games since HS & has made all of those starts as the most well protected QB at his level, with the most explosive weapons, with significant struggles v zones... we slow that down, give him more time to look at the prior weeks performance, time to watch a veteran, & more time to prepare for what his next opponent does. No QB that sits finds no value in watching a veteran, he would play, he would watch... and if he proves he’s handling it well, speed up the process, it’s simply a starting point, you can always amend the plan. 

Guaranteeing him 8 starts would settle that in his mind, it takes away concerns about being pulled, it should alleviate pressure & allow him to slow things down while taking in the game from the sideline as well as the field. Going over plays, in game, that he’s watching Keenum run, is a great learning tool for a young QB. 

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Boxing out someone with 5 inches and 45 lbs on you?  Amazing for Moreland, not a good look for Quick.

Love hearing about Moreland. Kid has some moxy. Quick is a medicore WR at any rate, but still a good showing from Moreland. I like it.

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Some on Twitter calling Haskins a bust, what a time to be alive. 

Lol, let the emotional rookie roller coaster begin.

People need to calm down with their assessments either way. Of course the defense looked good today, especially when you factor in the talent difference in lines. Whose the only first string offensive lineman even able to play? Roullier? So you've got a line of Flowers, Martin, Roullier, and ? I don't even know who is playing RT right now versus Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ion, and Kerrigan.

Plus, I think two of the interceptions were off of tipped passes and the other was just straight up strong arm robbery. They need to put Kidsy in witness protection if he's getting mugged like that out there.

I ain't worried, iron sharpens iron. Let them take their lumps and learn, as long as they bring that learning with them when the games matter.

18 hours ago, volsmet said:

There is little chance he can move the team as consistently as Case can, but he gives us the explosive play possibilities. Imo, it would be wise to start him every other week to start the season & evaluate things more closely & prepare more thoroughly as he adjusts to the NFL. Perfect way to use Alex Smith, let them work together on Keenum week.

You may need to reassess you opinion with regard to "starting every other week".

I don't believe there is a single usecase that proves this to be a good idea for any QB; rookie or otherwise.

Furthermore, we should be extra careful about treating DW like he's a sensitive rescue kitten (like many on this board projects).

What he has shown throughout the collage season and during his post season interviews and assessments, reflect that he is the most competent and cerebral QB coming out of this draft.   

If he can't stand up to his first year in NFL actions (should he prove that he's our best option to win), then he's not the answer.

In short, throw him out there if he is relatively ready.

He can't do worse than Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Don M, John Elway, E Manning  Drew Brees, Bernie K, Phil Sims, Russell  or..you name any other rookie out of the draft besides RG3.  

All of them had jacked up numbers as rookie,.but they learned and they built off of their experience.

12 minutes ago, dc1 said:

You may need to reassess you opinion with regard to "starting every other week".

I don't believe there is a single usecase that proves this to be a good idea for any QB; rookie or otherwise.

Furthermore, we should be extra careful about treating DW like he's a sensitive rescue kitten (like many on this board projects).

What he has shown throughout the collage season and during his post season interviews and assessments, reflect that he is the most competent and cerebral QB coming out of this draft.   

If he can't stand up to his first year in NFL actions (should he prove that he's our best option to win), then he's not the answer.

In short, throw him out there if he is relatively ready.

He can't do worse than Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Don M, John Elway, E Manning  Drew Brees, Bernie K, Phil Sims, Russell  or..you name any other rookie out of the draft besides RG3.  

All of them had jacked up numbers as rookie,.but they learned and they built off of their experience.

As impressed as I am by the humans, I think I’m brave enough to think for myself on this one. I do well thinking for myself.

Who are these many that suggest treating him like a sensitive rescue kitten?

58 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Haskins sounds like he looks a little more like a rookie today. 

It’s nice to have a late round pick show out. When you really hit on a 5th-7th round pick it can help your team so much. Fingers crossed for Moreland. 

From what I have heard, it was as ugly as the ints suggest, he was pressing a bit ...or so some say. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Some on Twitter calling Haskins a bust, what a time to be alive. 

Agree.  As you know tough to make much from training camp especially in the early stages.  I recall 2 years ago for example observers at camp were talking up Perine like he was Walter Payton.   Doctson and Pryor at times were touted that same year of killing it at times in camp.   A WP reporter was trying to sell on twitter that Colt now had a gun thanks to a new QB guru he had and exercises to build up his arm. 

But yeah i can see people living and dying with every Haskins practice.   Just my 2 cents to watching camp before and (non camp) practice too -- for me the biggest takeaway was centered on what the focus of practice was on and can you tell if the coaches has favs or nonfavs among the players.

I recall for example Kirk throwing the ball like crazy to Thompson in camp and saying here at the time Thompson is going to explode that season if he stays healthy.  I recall in the same camp Tomsula really riding Lanier in practice and not always in a loving way.  And it stood out to me because he was complementing so many other guys.  So the tough love seemed almost exclusive to Lanier.   Lanier was coming off a good season pass rush wise .  Lanier was gone a year later.  Jay was really killing Sudfeld and not always in a joking way and was so loud that the whole crowd could hear it and he ultimately didn't make the roster that year.   I was also at camp the day Jay told Breeland to leave practice and go to the locker room.  

My point is based on all that I read about today, my key takeaways

A.  Moreland isn't just a ball hawk but also Jay clearly likes the dude.  We've read about this in both camp days that were open to the media -- about Jay bantering with Moreland.

B.  IMO Cam Simms being featured a lot in the offense is likely a big deal.  From what I recall Jay likes to feature his starters and give them increased reps.  

C.  Based on all the tweets I read it gives a vibe that MLB is a work in progress with them trying to figure out the line up

D. Sweat is starting over Ryan Anderson. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  IMO Cam Simms being featured a lot in the offense is likely a big deal.  From what I recall Jay likes to feature his starters and give them increased reps. 

How many WR do we carry?  5 or 6?  We might wind up keeping 4 RB and 4 TE, which means only 5 WR right?

Top 4 roster locks:

Doctson, Quinn, Richardson, and McLaurin.

If we only keep 5, the final battle is between:

Kidsy (also seems to be mentioned in OTA's, although this time was not in a good way), Harmon, and Sims.

Davis, Chesson, and Quick have to be on the outside looking in right?

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

How many WR do we carry?  5 or 6?  We might wind up keeping 4 RB and 4 TE, which means only 5 WR right?

Top 4 roster locks:

Doctson, Quinn, Richardson, and McLaurin.

If we only keep 5, the final battle is between:

Kidsy (also seems to be mentioned in OTA's, although this time was not in a good way), Harmon, and Sims.

Davis, Chesson, and Quick have to be on the outside looking in right?

Thompson, Guice & AD better be the only RBs occupying roster spots. Not that I’m prepared to do anything about it if they’re not. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Sounds like Haskins had a rough day. 

Good. Good. 

Yasssss yasssss!

Sometimes I just want to listen to Tori Amos & talk about Haskins with my e-pals.

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

People need to calm down with their assessments either way. Of course the defense looked good today, especially when you factor in the talent difference in lines. Whose the only first string offensive lineman even able to play? Roullier? So you've got a line of Flowers, Martin, Roullier, and ? I don't even know who is playing RT right now versus Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ion, and Kerrigan.

Looks like Roullier was out too, lol.  That OL must have been a sieve. 

Archived