PCS

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Im not trying to pick on him I want to see this kid thrive here, I hope he passes for 400 yards against the Giants. Go through my post history im the biggest cheerleader on these boards. I'm just making some Friday morning arm chair expert analysis here for the sake of conversation. 

 

I wasn't specifically talking about you, no worries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

 

 

Scanned this thread and didn't see this from last night. Did somebody already post it?

Does this mean Joe has given the blessing for the number ? I see Joe T not being the kind of the guy who would say no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Does this mean Joe has given the blessing for the number ? I see Joe T not being the kind of the guy who would say no.

 

I feel like it might be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

He's gonna get it from both sides. If he doesnt start, people will be lamenting he wasnt good enough to beat out Keenum.  If he winds up the starter, people will lament starting a rookie QB they already thought was questionable.  lol

I don't see it that way.  Just like Rodgers and Mahomes, they sat their first year, not because they didn't win the QB competition for the starting job, but because the organization stated it was part of the plan to have them sit a year.  Unfortunately, that means the Redskins would need to have a functional long term plan, and I'm not holding my breath.  

 

I just believe a QB that raw, with so many other holes on offense, shouldn't even be considered to start in 2019.  We will have another draft to add some lineman and wr / te.  Then prepare him to start week 1 in 2020.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Pretty happy with this pick.  I'm glad it came to the Skins and they didn't have to jump up to get him.  Probably allowed us to get Sweat.

 

I think my disappointment here is based on the reports coming out of Ashburn that half the building didn't want him but that Bruce and Dan did.  If true... I mean, get it together.  Even if there's disagreement inside the building, present a unified front.                                                                       

Happy with the pick also, especially not having to give up anything to move up.  I honestly thought there was something fishy going on with those reports about disagreements in the front office.  I think they were all smoke and mirrors in order for the giants to act on their pick to pressure them on picking a qb.  Good thing is, they took the bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

Why all the negativity?????

 

Haskins threw for 4,831 yards, 50 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 2018, while Jones threw for 2,674, 22 touchdowns and nine interceptions during the same season.

 

 

 

Largely against Big 10 competition; not the SEC, not even the ACC - the big 10.  If you watch a lot of his highlights you see a very clean pocket with lots of time.  He won't have that with the Redskins where RB's usually have to evade unblocked defenders before they get to the LOS.  I'm really down on his lack of lateral movement and lazy feet.  He can step up in the pocket but how often will he be able to do so?  If you've watched the O-line the last 5 years you'd know they often give up inside pressure early in the play.  Plus, can you see this guy rolling out and outrunning some of the DE's in the NFC East?  So, I don't think play action is going to be a strength (except for faking a dive off an RPO but an 8 year old can do that).  He's an immobile QB who needs a clean pocket and he came to the wrong team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HoggLife said:

You all remind me of the Iggle fans when they drafted McNabb. We got the best QB in this years draft, didnt have to trade up for him AND we desperately need a franchise QB. He play big time for a big school in a big conference. We have a chance to have the best QB we have ever had. Totally stoked and im a Michigan fan. 

 

I dunno about that.  Several analysts I trust didn't like Haskins, but you have to also figure, This pick is not just a this year thing.   I think we are so hurt over what happened with RG3 that its hard to see beyond this season.   Haskins might have the highest ceiling of this draft, but he may also have a lower floor.   As I watch tape I like the pick, I just hope they give him enough time to grow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ultravin said:

Happy with the pick also, especially not having to give up anything to move up.  I honestly thought there was something fishy going on with those reports about disagreements in the front office.  I think they were all smoke and mirrors in order for the giants to act on their pick to pressure them on picking a qb.  Good thing is, they took the bait.

 

I'd like to believe that it was smoke and mirrors but with how dysfunctional the organization has been it's hard for me to believe that.  After all, what good would have leaking that information done to help them get Haskins?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You can’t argue with the value at 15.  We just couldn’t turn it down.

 

Hail!

 

The Giants, Denver, Bengals, and the Miami Dolphins turned him down. 

 

Let that sink in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Dwayne Haskins! I hope you're all we dream about and more for the Redskins QB position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

 

The Giants, Denver, Bengals, and the Miami Dolphins turned him down. 

 

Let that sink in...

 

When you’re so desperate to trash the home team, you hitch your wagon to the Dolphins and the Bengals.

 

Good luck with that!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

If you've watched the O-line the last 5 years you'd know they often give up inside pressure early in the play.  Plus, can you see this guy rolling out and outrunning some of the DE's in the NFC East?  So, I don't think play action is going to be a strength (except for faking a dive off an RPO but an 8 year old can do that).  He's an immobile QB who needs a clean pocket and he came to the wrong team.

On top of interior pressure, Moses always plays hurt, and Trent is good for a couple games missed. LG is a huge question mark at best. When Trent goes down, the entire left side is going to be a turnstile. it's going to be ugly for whoever is there, doubly so for a QB who isn't mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Veretax said:

 

I dunno about that.  Several analysts I trust didn't like Haskins, but you have to also figure, This pick is not just a this year thing.   I think we are so hurt over what happened with RG3 that its hard to see beyond this season.   Haskins might have the highest ceiling of this draft, but he may also have a lower floor.   As I watch tape I like the pick, I just hope they give him enough time to grow.

 

which analysts do you trust?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love the haskins pick.  of course he has his flaws but its on jay and oconnell to get it fixed and into our system.  at least now we have something to watch.  the idea of watching case keenum meander around this season was a horrible thought.

 

and the sweat pick was just amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Don't know about you guys but I slept like a baby last night.

 

Simba is my QB and all is well with the world. 😂😂

 

And the Redskins will be 8-8.  It's the Redskins Circle of Life.  

 

(That's not really a prediction.  Just had to get the Simba reference in.)  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I can see the arguments for and against.  All we've REALLY got, though, is just to wait and see how he pans out.  That's all we can do.  

  

That won't stop people who don't like this pick to look for every single thing they can pick on...and vice versa.   

 

You don't really have to wait and see to know the kid's game because he had a big year at Ohio State and put a lot of good stuff on film.  This kid is one of the stud QB prospects, they're pretty rare, usually only two or maybe three in a draft class.  I think he was one of two in his class.  We were fortunate to get him due to the rest of the league's stupidity in a similar way to the Chiefs being lucky to get Mahomes and the Texans being lucky to get Watson.  Drafting him is one of the biggest steps in the effort to build a sustainable successful team.  Now the next step in the mission is to solidify our coaching situation and to develop Haskins as well as possible.  And to give him some personnel to use.  This kid has shown us that if you give him talent to direct and throw to, he's going to fully utilize all of it.  I want to see us get younger and more reliable in the running game, get a go to X receiver and/or get some dangerous motion guys that can open the offense up from a slot role, and get some worthy depth on the offensive line.  Fortunately we have a pretty good head start on a build because we have quite a bit of talent on the offensive line and our defense is mostly built.  If Haskins takes over the starting job as a rookie, he'll have a chance to win games.  He's a very precocious kid too, so much confidence and talent.  It's not going to take him forever to get to the point where the job is no longer too big for him.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

 

The Giants, Denver, Bengals, and the Miami Dolphins turned him down. 

 

Let that sink in...

That's because they're dumb especially the Giants in drafting Daniel Jones.😉

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

You don't really have to wait and see to know the kid's game because he had a big year at Ohio State and put a lot of good stuff on film.  This kid is one of the stud QB prospects, they're pretty rare, usually only two or maybe three in a draft class.  I think he was one of two in his class.  We were fortunate to get him due to the rest of the league's stupidity in a similar way to the Chiefs being lucky to get Mahomes and the Texans being lucky to get Watson.  Drafting him is one of the biggest steps in the effort to build a sustainable successful team.  Now the next step in the mission is to solidify our coaching situation and to develop Haskins as well as possible.  And to give him some personnel to use.  This kid has shown us that if you give him talent to direct and throw to, he's going to fully utilize all of it.  I want to see us get younger and more reliable in the running game, get a go to X receiver and/or get some dangerous motion guys that can open the offense up from a slot role, and get some worthy depth on the offensive line.  Fortunately we have a pretty good head start on a build because we have quite a bit of talent on the offensive line and our defense is mostly built.  If Haskins takes over the starting job as a rookie, he'll have a chance to win games.  He's a very precocious kid too, so much confidence and talent.  It's not going to take him forever to get to the point where the job is no longer too big for him.

 

I hope that you're correct.  I would like to see us give him some more receivers before we throw him in there, though.  Yes, he's accurate from what I can see...but our receiving corps is pretty terrible.  P-richy is the size of my little finger, Doctson is whatever and Crowder is gone.  Jordan Reed is Mr. Glass.  

 

I do believe a truly great QB (as I hope Haskins is) can make chicken salad out of chicken **** but to make it easier for the guy I'd like us to get him a playmaker.  I don't know how possible that is at this point in the offseason and with the first round over but maybe we can draft a good one or two pass catchers today and tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

 

which analysts do you trust?

Louis Riddick

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

He's gonna get it from both sides. If he doesnt start, people will be lamenting he wasnt good enough to beat out Keenum.  If he winds up the starter, people will lament starting a rookie QB they already thought was questionable.  lol

 

Dude's got 1 year of college experience.  (And it wasn't in the SEC, even.)  

 

Assume he'll get lots of attention during preseason.  But we all know that backup QBs don't get much attention once the season starts.  

 

I'll be just fine if he doesn't take a regular season snap this year.  (If he comes off the bench, then I will react according to how he does.)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, arftech said:

That's because they're dumb especially the Giants in drafting Daniel Jones.😉

 

And Dan Snyder is a QB genius?  The Haskins pick has Snyder's fingerprints all over it and that scares the crap out of me.  He was the only QB Dan went to visit.  Dan got his way and picked a local guy thinking that he can boost season ticket sales.  Remember he made his fortune as a telemarketer.    I can't believe so many old-timers are falling for classic Snyder.  He panicked.  Should have went defense, defense, defense this year and waited for 2020 when a better QB crop will be available.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Yes but again, Rodgers was arguably the #1 QB prospect that year Dwayne Haskins  is not. This would be comparable if it was Kyler Murray fell to 15 but he did not. And again you are comparing mid round to the tail end of the first. Is a top 15 pick now considered being slighted even if you are regarded as the second or 3rd best QB in the draft which Haskins was ? You guys are reaching

 

Except this is untrue.

 

Haskins is, actually, arguably the No. 1 prospect.   Kyler Murray is not a slam dunk prospect.  Murray is a 6.25 ranking on NFL.com.   Haskins is a 6.20.   There's not much separating them.   All of Murray's negatives are Haskins positives.   All of Haskins negatives are Murray's positives.   But there are a lot of people who had Haskins as the No. 1 QB on their board early, middle, late and LAST NIGHT in the draft process.   It is laughable to suggest there was a clear No. 1.   There wasn't.   If the Cards pick a different coach, there's every chance Haskins goes before Murray.

It is fair to say the reasonable thing that NO QB in this draft enters the league as an "elite" draft prospect based on grade.   No one is ANY WHERE CLOSE to RGIII for example as an NFL draft prospect by grade.   I do not love Haskins.    I do prefer a smart pocket QB who makes quick decisions to a guy who lives on athleticism.   In that, Haskins is THE best QB in this draft, by significant margin.   And that happens to be PRECISELY what Gruden wants in a QB.   Haskins is a bigger, stronger, more accurate, better-armed Kirk Cousins, who fit beautifully in Gruden's scheme.   Think Andy Dalton under Gruden.   Haskins is the prototype for what Jay Gruden desires in a QB in terms of what he brings to the table.

Time will tell if he has the mental element of the game to process quickly enough to be any good, but the kid played better against top competition than any other player in college football a year ago.   He played on a very good team.   He thinks he's the best player at his position in the draft.   NOT being upset about being taken after two guys you think you're better than and ONE EVERYONE ELSE agrees you are would be a troubling thing.   Any spin that his reaction to "falling" to No. 15 is in ANY way negative makes the person suggesting that the owner of imbecilic thoughts.

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

Dude's got 1 year of college experience.  (And it wasn't in the SEC, even.)  

 

Assume he'll get lots of attention during preseason.  But we all know that backup QBs don't get much attention once the season starts.  

 

I'll be just fine if he doesn't take a regular season snap this year.  (If he comes off the bench, then I will react according to how he does.)  

 

Gonna go out on a limb and say Haskins gets the start in Week 6 and retains the starting job from there.  Might even muster up a late playoff push...if the O-Line stays healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now