Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am having a hard time following the point.  You said Jay is devaluing the purpose of the draft by thinking about now versus the future -- and then you seem to explain that Jay has some positive bent to his motives that might not be that obvious?

Hard for me to pick up on where we disagree because I am not quite sure what point you are making.   But if it helps to clarify my position, I got no beef with Jay relating to any of the narratives in the context of the pick.   Actually I don't really have a beef with anyone period aside from some concern of how things play out in the future. 

We discussed this a few weeks back about the degree of Jay's 'not liking' Haskins. I've always said I didn't think it was a simple 0 or 1 thing where its "like" or "don't like". That's all I'm saying here. This was just an example of that with a made up quote of how the conversation could have gone behind the scenes, vs the reported Jay "not liking" Haskins. Maybe he just didn't have Haskins as his top choice or top QB. I doubt its something where he gave an anti-RG3 type statement on Haskins's abilities as a QB. 

There should always be some friction between the coach and GM. The coach's job is to win the next game. His mind needs to be focused on the present. The GM's job, while it is also to provide players for the coach to work with, should be primarily about doing what's best for the team in the long term. The needs of the now vs. planning for the future often diverge.

2 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

What's Washington fans opinions of your draft?

I think it's been by and large applauded by everyone. There are those who didn't want a QB this year and a quibble hear and there, but despite the grumbling I think this is as happy as I've seen our fanbase about any recent draft.

4 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

What's Washington fans opinions of your draft?

Phenomenal. I think Rosen & Sweat makes the team much better than Haskins & Sweat, but if DH proves to be the better pro, then the draft was nearly perfect imo.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

We discussed this a few weeks back about the degree of Jay's 'not liking' Haskins. I've always said I didn't think it was a simple 0 or 1 thing where its "like" or "don't like". That's all I'm saying here. This was just an example of that with a made up quote of how the conversation could have gone behind the scenes, vs the reported Jay "not liking" Haskins. Maybe he just didn't have Haskins as his top choice or top QB. I doubt its something where he gave an anti-RG3 type statement on Haskins's abilities as a QB. 

Oh ok back to that -- I specifically clarified to you weeks ago that it wasn't that I heard that Jay "didn't like" Haskins but that some reporters said he wasn't his top guy at QB and some said that he wanted to take someone else at 15.   And if i said otherwise I misspoke.   And I explained that in detail in multiple posts to anyone who has asked about it. 

To clarify -- I have no grudge with Jay, Bruce, Doug, Dan, Haskins or anyone relating to the pick at 15.  I got some concerns about Haskins and I don't think its a slam dunk pick but heck i am willing to go on the ride and enjoy it.  Because if they get this right it should transform the franchise.  And i am enjoying all the national hype. 😀

Yes, I do have a particular belief of what I am guessing happened based on all of the narratives I heard.  However, none of those narratives bother me.  If people want to believe another narrative instead of the one I think than that's cool and I don't care.  We are all just guessing.  And like I said whatever narrative people are clinging to -- its all cool with me.  The narratives to me are meaningless to the bottom line.  The bottom line is I want all hands on deck to get Haskins ready and all indications are that's the plan.  So I am satisfied.  

I bet volsmet would appreciate the gifs though not up to his standards so a nod here to him  😀

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edit:  thinking about it some, the only guy who might have flat out said it in that way that Jay didn't like Haskins if i recall was Sheehan.  I forgot whether he stuck to it though, i'd have to go back and listen to it.  But i'd only care about regurgitating narratives about what Jay wanted before the draft if Jay wasn't into developing Haskins now.  So my thought is it doesn't matter to go back to that point in time.    All that matters is now. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh ok back to that -- I specifically clarified to you weeks ago that it wasn't that I heard that Jay "didn't like" Haskins but that some reporters said he wasn't his top guy at QB and some said that he wanted to take someone else at 15.   And I explained that in detail in multiple posts to anyone who has asked about it.  So not sure what I have to do to be more clear on it?    

I don't recall ever saying that I heard that Jay didn't like Haskins back then and as I told you when you brought that up if somewhere-somehow I did actually say that anywhere then I misspoke so just ignore.

I think @ConnSKINS26 nailed it even better than I thought he did over the weekend -- him suggesting the mere act of me explaining repeatedly what i heard was said when its brought up to me makes this seem deeper than it really is.  

To clarify -- I have no grudge with Jay, Bruce, Doug, Dan, Haskins or anyone relating to the pick at 15.  I got some concerns about Haskins and I don't think its a slam dunk pick but heck i am willing to go on the ride and enjoy it.  Because if they get this right it should transform the franchise.  And i am enjoying all the national hype. 😀

Yes, I do have a particular belief of what I am guessing happened based on all of the narratives I heard.  However, none of those narratives bother me.  If people want to believe another narrative instead of the one I think than that's cool and I don't care.  We are all just guessing.  And like I said whatever narrative people are clinging to -- its all cool with me.  The narratives to me are meaningless to the bottom line.  The bottom line is I want all hands on deck to get Haskins ready and all indications are that's the plan.  So I am satisfied.  

I bet volsmet would appreciate the gifs though not up to his standards so a nod here to him  😀

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hey Skins long time no see brother. I hope to see you guys win the NFC East this year.

You guys hope for a snowstorm when you play us in December?

Just hope Preston Smith is lined up v Trent all day so Haskins has plenty of time. 

@dc1 is easily confused.

Just now, ThePackisback said:

Was this Smith guy good for y'all last year?

He was only on the roster because Dan Snyder got a letter from the Make A Wish Foundation & Preston’s dream was to be a Redskin. 

Was this Smith guy good for y'all last year?

you can count on 4 sacks probably them all coming in one game where he looks like a monster.  If its his occasional 8 sacks gig in a season -- it likely all happens in 3 games combined and then you wonder where he's gone in the others.  

5 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

It sounds like you guys don't have much faith in this guy lol.

He is an average starter. Nothing special but will give you good play often enough to make you wonder why he can;t do it more often. He is better at setting the edge than he gets credit for. He is decent at pass rush but just disappears for long periods of time, then out of nowhere it's like he wakes up and goes nuts only to got back to a comfortable slumber. 

He should have had a breakout season last year. He had Kerrigan on the other side - not elite but just below that and our D line has several beasts on it eating up bodies. He really should have cruised to a 10 sack season or more. He just did not. 

Maybe the GB D coaches can get more out of him. Good luck with him. 

On 5/12/2019 at 7:58 AM, Burgold said:

I dunno. If that was the case, would Kirk's team have done so much worse last year?

Your statement implies that Case Keenum is a better QB than Kirk.  I know you don't believe that.

It also don't consider that the Vikings had to loose players to accommodate Kirk's salary. 

Or 

That Kirk was in a new system

Or

That the rest of the NFL also tried to improve right along with the Vikes.

The point was that Keenum was in a perfect situation for him, and the Vikes thought they were one QB away from going back to the big game.   The Vikes believed that Keenum couldn't get them there.

Denver gave Keenum a shot at the Starting spot and realized that Keenum couldn't get them there either; now he is with us.

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Just hope Preston Smith is lined up v Trent all day so Haskins has plenty of time. 

@dc1 is easily confused.

Not at all.  Just perplexed at how confident you are that Rosen will be a better QB than Haskins.

But rest assured, you won't get me again cowpoke ;)

3 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

It sounds like you guys don't have much faith in this guy lol.

As others have said, he's good but nothing special. It was a bummer because he started to come on like a monster near the end of his rookie year and it looked like we could have a legit pass rushing stud on our hands if he continued on that trajectory he appeared to be on. But then he...just sort of stopped. He never really took that next step and in some ways actually seemed to take a step back at times.

As others have also noted, he seems to disappear for long stretches where you'll basically forget he's there and then out of nowhere he'll have a crazy 3 sack game and then disappear again. Good strength, good length, pretty good at setting the edge, decent speed but nothing to give opposing OTs bad dreams about. Could just be my perception but to me he's never come across as or played like a guy with fire in his belly. 

IMO you got a good but not great player. I think you definitely overpaid for what you'll likely get. But who knows...maybe you'll get lucky and he'll really find his groove there. 

Echoing something I saw on twitter:

NFC East team results the first year a QB the drafted or signed as a UFA was made full-time starter (minimum 15 games). Year is in parenthesis:

Dak Prescott (R): 13-3, Division Title   

Carson Wentz (R): 7-9, 4th place  

Kirk Cousins (4th): 9-7, Division Title  

Robert Griffin III (R): 9-6, Division Title 

Tony Romo (4th): 13-3, Division Title 

Eli Manning (2nd): 11-5, Division Title  

My takeaway from this: We need to either start Haskins this season or start him in 2022 lol 👍

Archived