Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

For all the talk of Roethlisberger, didn’t he sit on the bench his rookie season behind the Steelers’ version of Case Keemun, at least initially? I don’t think it was their plan to play him, was it?

Yeah, you're right, Maddox got hurt in Wk 2 and Roth had to play. Tore it the **** up too. But that was 15 years ago, the growth of rook QBs has changed somewhat since then. If you're willing to sacrifice Keenum's legs to follow that script then......ok

53 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Yeah, you're right, Maddox got hurt in Wk 2 and Roth had to play. Tore it the **** up too. But that was 15 years ago, the growth of rook QBs has changed somewhat since then. If you're willing to sacrifice Keenum's legs to follow that script then......ok

Yeah, 13-0 as a rookie and lost in the AFC Championship game. Of course a good defense and running game was pivotal.

4 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Yeah, 13-0 as a rookie and lost in the AFC Championship game. Of course a good defense and running game was pivotal.

Exactly, he went 13-0 but go back and look at those, there wasn't a whole lot that he could take the credit for. He did ok, mainly not screwing up and losing them but yeah, running game and vicious D

2 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

WE apologize dearest overlord, please feel free to skip over these threads that are LIKE annoying to you. 

No overlord here. Would just like it if posters are gonna gif bomb every comment they make, in every thread they post in, that they would have the courtesy to at least step up their gif game. Otherwise stop spamming threads with eye rolls and weak gif sauce. 

The QB thread is destined for atrocity anyway. We all know this. 😂

Gonna go on record, before I avoid these threads that annoy me, that Haskins will be in the Pro Bowl in year two. As an alternate, but who cares.

This Gruden/Haskins narrative needs to die a quick and merciful death. First, it's mostly hearsay. Second, he's on the hot seat and we've cast our lot with Haskins. This franchise is (very) arguably more invested in Haskins than Gruden or any other coach right now, so they need to make it work better than they've made the rest of the roster work in recent years, or someone else will be getting a swing at it. And they'll have no one to blame but themselves. This isn't the case of drafting a total non-scheme fit and setting people up for failure. It wasn't some huge reach. He's a talented but flawed (as all mid first round picks tend to be) QB. They need to make it work to keep their jobs.

Simply put, it doesn't matter anymore what Gruden thought about Haskins, if we could ever know in the first place. If it all fails, it certainly won't be a valid excuse. "Oh, if only we had gotten Gruden the genius the QB he wanted" isn't gonna be anything fans or media can be sold when it's all over. Especially since he got that pass rusher anyways. 

I shudder to think we'll be getting these rehash posts from SIP 3-4 years from now relitigating who in the FO actually wanted or liked Haskins.

That's not to say your work relaying which beat guys say what about the FO isn't appreciated SIP, this isn't an attack--you're obviously keyed into the local reporters more than most here and it's a valuable service--i've just noticed you're having to repeat, re-paraphrase, and re-summarize a lot of it lately. It has to get old for you. I don't know where you get the patience honestly. Maybe you should have started a thread to log all the various reports and just direct people there lol. 

41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's not to say your work relaying which beat guys say what about the FO isn't appreciated SIP, this isn't an attack--you're obviously keyed into the local reporters more than most here and it's a valuable service--i've just noticed you're having to repeat, re-paraphrase, and re-summarize a lot of it lately. It has to get old for you. I don't know where you get the patience honestly. Maybe you should have started a thread to log all the various reports and just direct people there lol. 

Sure, thanks, only reason why I repeated is someone asked.  I don't mind it except it makes it look like I am hammering the point home as if I am always carping about it albeit I am not.     I don't mind any of the stories I've heard about this relating to Jay.   I got no beef with taking Haskins at 15 and no beef with any of the backdrop stories about the pick at the moment regardless of what narrative we run with. 

The only reason why there would be a reason to re-litigate years from now is if there is some weird story about Dan relating to Haskins.  I've defended Dan in one sense which is count me among the people who believe that Dan doesn't interfere the way he once did.  But one thing I am still cynical about on that subject is Dan's weakness over the years seems to be QBs.   So i am hoping we don't hear of stories about Dan and Haskins bonding with any extra circular stuff that goes beyond the normal owner-player relationship.

I do think Dan has to be excited about all the attention this team is getting and boy did they need it IMO.  Speaking of me eating up media stuff -- all that represents is just me being a football show junkie -- radio, TV, etc.  I record just about everything and I listen and watch a lot of it to my wife's chagrin. :ols:   It's not to go on here and say I know anything more than anyone else because I don't.   It's just that i share what I did hear if people are interested.   To that point, its been tough in recent years to get much Redskins attention on the national shows I watch like NFL Live, Total Access, GMF, etc.  Now it's non stop because of Haskins.  It's not quite 2012 level attention but from what I've seen its the highest amount of attention since.   

And for a team that couldn't even get a Sunday night football game now two years in a row or even a 4 pm game this year -- Haskins has given this franchise a big time jolt PR wise.  Now, if he performs like RG3 did in 2012 it might save Dan some with local fans and make the brand nationally relevant again, too.   So hopefully there is nothing to re-litigate 3 years from now.  But if there is, in my book, it would have to be Dan repeating the 2012-2013 mistakes -- other than that I can't think of a narrative that would be interesting to re-litigate.    For example, Gibbs liked Jason Campbell, he drafted him, he didn't pan out -- they had to find a new QB.  Nothing to re-litigate when it comes to liking a QB and that QB fails.  That happens all the time.  Hopefully though Haskins works out where there are no worries. 

9 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Exactly, he went 13-0 but go back and look at those, there wasn't a whole lot that he could take the credit for. He did ok, mainly not screwing up and losing them but yeah, running game and vicious D

Also had Plax, Hines Ward and Randle El  to throw to, as well as  El on special teams. He was good, and made plays for them, but that was an autopilot qb team if Ive ever seen one. They were nasty.

the point below about the reps the same point that Finlay and Cooley made which is they think it will be decided after the June minicamp who the starter is even if its not officially announced -- because especially if its Haskins who you plan to start -- you'd want to give him a lot of reps in camp versus dividing it up 50-50 or so with Keenum or whomever. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26725032/haskins-turning-heads-redskins-minicamp

Gruden has said he does not like a three-man competition for the starting job because it's hard to divide the reps to give each quarterback enough of a chance.

"The most important thing in the next couple weeks is, let's see how far we can push this guy," Gruden said. "Let's see if there is a chance he can win the job. If we feel like he's coming along slower, then we have to maybe push Case or push Colt. But if we feel like [Haskins] is coming along and he's firing and he's comfortable, then we'll play it out and see what happens."

Haskins, 22, said he'll take the same approach he did at Ohio State.

"I'll be ready for whatever the coaches want from me, whether that's starting right away or next year or through the season," Haskins said. "I'll prepare like I'm the starter."

But he also admitted waiting two years to play there wasn't easy -- and he shone a light on his mentality.

"Definitely hard," Haskins said. "Every competitor wants to play, but you have to know it's for the team, it's bigger than you. And if the coaches feel I'm the best option to win games this year, I'll be more than excited. If he says I'm not ready, I'll make sure I'll be ready."

'The Redskins want to improve Haskins' footwork. They want him to get comfortable dropping back from under center, something he didn't do with the Buckeyes. They want him to get used to resetting his feet under pressure.

"With the quarterback, it starts with the basics," Gruden said. "He's a guy that didn't call a lot of plays in the huddle. So we're talking about breaking the huddle and calling plays in the huddle, and the snap count, getting guys lined up, going through his progressions, his footwork -- not only in the passing game but in the running game. There's a lot thrown at him. It's a long process, but he's a bright guy. I was impressed."

• Haskins, of course, was the main story. There'll be more detailed breakdowns of his performance to come, but if you want one word to describe it right now, it'd be "uneven." Now, that's to be expected: It was only his second session with the 'Skins and he was throwing to targets he has barely worked with, many of whom weren't exactly polished. But there were times Saturday where he made some throws that were fantastic, and others where he forced the issue or clearly wasn't on the same page. 
  • Here's one thing about the 15th overall pick, though: You will rarely hear about him not having enough arm for a throw. When he's able to set up and drive it, he drives it.
  • Haskins' best highlight might've come early in 1-on-1 drills, where he lofted a high 30-ish yarder to Terry McLaurin for a score. McLaurin had broken free on a go-route and Haskins really couldn't have delivered it any better. 
  •  
  • https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-rookie-minicamp-observations-notes-haskins-mclaurin-undrafted-guys-and-more

On 5/10/2019 at 7:13 PM, DieHardSkins88 said:

Bro Keemun literally took the Vikings to the NFC Championship game two seasons ago.

I wish the best for Keemun.

But it was the defense and O-Line that took them.   Keemun was a solid manager in a system that he was raised in.   

Maybe the Vikes should have held on to him.. however his value as an extensible QB with transferable skills was revealed when he went to Denver.

Denver saw the first hand evidence and shipped him out one year later.

He should be greatfull to retire with a career like JC or Fritzpatrick.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, Jericho said:

It's a risky pick, but I'm cool with it. It's not Daniel Jones and I actually feel bad that the Giants burned a sixth overall on a guy that no one seems to think is worth a first rounder (Yes, I feel bad for the Giants. It's like they're being run by the new guy in a fantasy sports league. No team deserves that). The other big names were off the board outside two Mississippi State guys who are falling for health reasons. The team didn't trade up to 3rd pick. So i'm not sure this will work out, but its an acceptable gamble.

It's not remotely risky..

Out side of the fact that every Draft pick in every Draft is a risk.

9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

For all the talk of Roethlisberger, didn’t he sit on the bench his rookie season behind the Steelers’ version of Case Keemun, at least initially? I don’t think it was their plan to play him, was it?

Tommy Maddox started the first two games but was injured game 2. Roethlisberger started the rest of the season. So it was not their plan for him to start game 1 but he only sat a little over 1 gm.

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

No overlord here. Would just like it if posters are gonna gif bomb every comment they make, in every thread they post in, that they would have the courtesy to at least step up their gif game. Otherwise stop spamming threads with eye rolls and weak gif sauce. 

The QB thread is destined for atrocity anyway. We all know this. 😂

Gonna go on record, before I avoid these threads that annoy me, that Haskins will be in the Pro Bowl in year two. As an alternate, but who cares.

Did you at least enjoy the complimentary music? 😂

I really think He'll be great, just not sure how soon.....

13 hours ago, dballer said:

I mean, this is pretty much what most scouts said about him. I don’t think you’re out on a limb here, not sure why anyone would be upset about this take.

The cool thing about this flaw? It can be fixed. It’s absolutely something you can work on. And he is supposedly a worker, so I think he will improve. The big question is, how fast.

and we did upgrade LG. Not that it was hard to do, but I do like the looks of Wes Martin, especially in pass pro.

It certainly was not meant to be controversial, but we consume the content here with plenty going on in other areas of our lives & that can color what we read into things at times ... happens to me, it’s the internet.  

9 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

GoldenDistantBrontosaurus-size_restricte

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Tommy Maddox started the first two games but was injured game 2. Roethlisberger started the rest of the season. So it was not their plan for him to start game 1 but he only sat a little over 1 gm.

I think he got hurt in the 3rd game, not the 2nd, just for the record. So Roethlisberger was still on the bench their 3rd game in. But my point (which I know you understood, I'm just repeating it lol) was that Big Ben may not be the best comparison or example to use for an argument to start Haskins. Better team, better weapons, better coach, better organization, and he was drafted higher...and they still felt he should sit and learn behind Tommy freakin' Maddox lol..

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I think he got hurt in the 3rd game, not the 2nd, just for the record. So Roethlisberger was still on the bench their 3rd game in. But my point (which I know you understood, I'm just repeating it lol) was that Big Ben may not be the best comparison or example to use for an argument to start Haskins. Better team, better weapons, better coach, better organization, and he was drafted higher...and they still felt he should sit and learn behind Tommy freakin' Maddox lol..

I was not guessing. I know for a fact it was game 2 against the Ravens that Maddox as injured. Ben started the rest of the season until the last game against Buffalo where he sat out getting ready for the playoffs. 

I wasn't talking to your point either way, I was just answering the question. In general I am not fond of these types of comparisons. This is one is no different. They are different times and typically completely different circumstances. Also, there are plenty of examples of both approaches (sitting or starting) working and failing. Ultimately it comes down to the player and the team. For me it's a case by case decision. 

I happen to agree Haskins should probably sit a year. Having said that, it will not be the end of the world if he starts right away either, especially if he clearly beats Colt and Case out in TC. He seems to be a smart kid that works hard. I loved his film session on the Big Ten network. @Llevron posted it first but I think it's worth posting here again in case people have not seen it. Gives some good insight to his understanding of pro-level concepts. 

11 hours ago, dc1 said:

I wish the best for Keemun.

But it was the defense and O-Line that took them.   Keemun was a solid manager in a system that he was raised in.   

Maybe the Vikes should have held on to him.. however his value as an extensible QB with transferable skills was revealed when he went to Denver.

Denver saw the first hand evidence and shipped him out one year later.

He should be greatfull to retire with a career like JC or Fritzpatrick.

Keenum was more than just a manager, he played great.  He had a Mark Rypien '91 season, all the pieces were in place but he still needed to deliver the ball. And he did that very very well.   But like Rypien the real Case Keenum was revealed, there's a  reason the Vikes went in another direct. They knew they caught a magical career year and he would soon revert to, well, Case Keenum.  

Archived