Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yep.  Year 4 for Garrett.  Year 3 for Baker and Ward.

Unfortunately for them, the coaching in Cleveland has been a laughing stock - worse by far than Gruden.  They have a talented group of players.  I think they'll make some noise this year.

The same guys who made the decisions to draft those guys are the same guys who hired those coaches. Somewhat new regime there now, so things could change. But their plan hasn't worked. I'm not even saying AFC Title or Super Bowl. I'm talkin' bout playoffs.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The same guys who made the decisions to draft those guys are the same guys who hired those coaches. Somewhat new regime there now, so things could change. But their plan hasn't worked. I'm not even saying AFC Title or Super Bowl. I'm talkin' bout playoffs.

Their plan was doomed due to coaching and OL.  If the new regime attacks OL in the draft and FA this offseason, that roster is likely going to be a playoff contender.  It will be up to the coach to have them reach their potential.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Their plan was doomed due to coaching and OL.  If the new regime attacks OL in the draft and FA this offseason, that roster is likely going to be a playoff contender.  It will be up to the coach to have them reach their potential.

Right. But my point was: The same FO who made the decisions to draft those guys ahead of a guy like Watson was the same FO who hired the coaches and had the OL plan in place.

Meaning: I wouldn't look towards them for any kind of forward thinking from a front office.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right. But my point was: The same FO who made the decisions to draft those guys ahead of a guy like Watson was the same FO who hired the coaches and had the OL plan in place.

Meaning: I wouldn't look towards them for any kind of forward thinking from a front office.

I understand your point.  But I'm not talking about their forward thinking.  I'm talking about my own evaluation of their roster.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I understand your point.  But I'm not talking about their forward thinking.  I'm talking about my own evaluation of their roster.

Okay. But would they be better under Watson? I bet with a similar roster, minus Mayfield, plus another key cog on possibly the OL, minus Garrett? I think the answer is yes.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay. But would they be better under Watson? I bet with a similar roster, minus Mayfield, plus another key cog on possibly the OL, minus Garrett? I think the answer is yes.

Minus Ward as well.  No, I don't think they would have been better under the coaching staff they had last year.

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not quite as far on the "trade/get rid of the QB at the end of the rookie window" thing as volsmet. But I'm along the same lines. When you have to pay your QB big boy money, you suffer.

In the case of an earlier point of Green Bay, they have so much money tied up on the DEs and the QB that they can't spend as much on the OL/weapons/backers/secondary.

Yes, that impacts them.  Significantly. 

I’d rather have Matt Moore & Josh Rosen making 7 dollars a year than Aaron Rodgers for 33.5 million. Rodgers, at his best, was a guy I’d think of paying, but ultimately I just couldn’t do it. I wonder how much you could get for Rodgers right now, what a beautiful thing it would be to load up that roster, feature Jones, and let Tua distribute the ball around on the cheap. 

Just now, volsmet said:

I’d rather have Matt Moore & Josh Rosen making 7 dollars a year than Aaron Rodgers for 33.5 million. Rodgers, at his best, was a guy I’d think of paying, but ultimately I just couldn’t do it. I wonder how much you could get for Rodgers right now, what a beautiful thing it would be to load up that roster, feature Jones, and let Tua distribute the ball around on the cheap. 

Fake news. They make more than $7, sir.

:ols:

I'm still not entirely with you on it, as I think there are a few QBs who I would be willing to pay that much. But when you do pay that much you have to sacrifice in virtually all other positions to be more well rounded. Green Bay refused to sacrifice at DE, and now they're stuck with a gigantic piece out of their cap on three players. They aren't only sacrificing at other positions, they are laying their lambs on the tables and making it a ritualistic sacrifice. 

There is merit to both sides of the argument, that much is for sure. Let's say we draft Tua, and he's the best thing since an egg white omelette when he's healthy.. but he spends an RG3 amount of time injured.. then what? You have this mega dynamic guy with an injury history playing on a 3-13 team.

I think what gets lost in the argument of Haskins being "good" is some of you are wanting him to perform like a Ben R, Aaron R, Pat M kind of qb.. and I don't think those kind of expectations are realistic, he is probably never gonna be one of those guys.

Plenty of guys not named Brees or Rodgers or Mahomes win the SB. Look at Brady, athletically and skill wise he's about as much of a polar opposite of those guys as you can get, but he wins because he's good enough. (the pats roster/coaching helps a ton)

So I think the real question is: Can Haskins be good enough to win with a top tier defense/well rounded roster and coaching? I think he absolutely can. I see his ceiling being somewhere like Dak Prescott right now (minus the running) and if Dallas had better coaching, their roster was absolutely good enough to make a playoff run.

27 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yep.  Year 4 for Garrett.  Year 3 for Baker and Ward.

Unfortunately for them, the coaching in Cleveland has been a laughing stock - worse by far than Gruden.  They have a talented group of players.  I think they'll make some noise this year.

That FO/C combination has been a disaster, but the roster is appealing. It was more than a little surprising to see how lost Baker looked last year after the brilliant rookie season he had... he was atrocious in ‘19, they need to remedy that line, obviously. 

It's funny. I said we should do this, and that we would do this, to get people to think we could do this. And now that we are doing it, I get irate because the natinal media buys it and I feel bad for Dwayne. I hope he can see through the smoke , too.

FWIW, Matt miller just tweeted "this changes everything" to the JP Finlay tweet about Skins bringing in Burrow and Tua for official meetings.

He's a smart dude, and he's buying it hook/line/sinker.

Still makes me mad, even though I know why we are doing it haha.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Uh oh.  How can Haskins be in two places at once?

1) He's hired doppelgangers

2) He's cloned himself

3) He's using the time turner thingy from Harry Potter

4) Doc Brown has recruited Haskins as his whacky sidekick and hijinks are about to ensue.  Is there a DeLorean parked outside?

Until we get to the bottom of this issue, how can we trust Haskins?  What secrets does he hide?

2 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

So I think the real question is: Can Haskins be good enough to win with a top tier defense/well rounded roster and coaching? I think he absolutely can. I see his ceiling being somewhere like Dak Prescott right now (minus the running) and if Dallas had better coaching, their roster was absolutely good enough to make a playoff run.

Now we're cooking with a charcoal grill.

The guys who have won without being a top tier quarterback are generally top tier technicians and minds. These are two places that Haskins is lacking.

Peyton Manning, even as a horrible physical QB, had guys who would run through walls for him and gave his offense a chance because of how much smarter he was than everyone else.

Trent Dilfer won because he was the type of QB the Ravens needed and his teammates believed in him not to screw it up. And he's smart as hell and understands the game. 

Dak is a pretty high ceiling for Haskins, in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They should have gone all in for the Silverback. I’m 99% certain they offered us a first, or so their VP of football administration has indicated, but I’m not sure if that’s all in or not. This is a great draft if you need a tackle. 

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It's funny. I said we should do this, and that we would do this, to get people to think we could do this. And now that we are doing it, I get irate because the natinal media buys it and I feel bad for Dwayne. I hope he can see through the smoke , too.

FWIW, Matt miller just tweeted "this changes everything" to the JP Finlay tweet about Skins bringing in Burrow and Tua for official meetings.

He's a smart dude, and he's buying it hook/line/sinker.

Still makes me mad, even though I know why we are doing it haha.

I knew you'd come in here saying it was a smoke screen :ols:

It could be. I see the logic there.

But I also believe that Rivera/Kyle Smith aren't as high on Haskins as you are. And maybe aren't as low (if you want to call it that, I don't because I don't think he's a bust necessarily... so I'm not all the way out on him) as I am. 

So, I think it's both to sell the idea and, well, because they aren't set in their plan yet. 

8 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

There is merit to both sides of the argument, that much is for sure. Let's say we draft Tua, and he's the best thing since an egg white omelette when he's healthy.. but he spends an RG3 amount of time injured.. then what? You have this mega dynamic guy with an injury history playing on a 3-13 team.

I think what gets lost in the argument of Haskins being "good" is some of you are wanting him to perform like a Ben R, Aaron R, Pat M kind of qb.. and I don't think those kind of expectations are realistic, he is probably never gonna be one of those guys.

Almost nothing is worse than finding your Andy Dalton. 

Just now, KDawg said:

So, I think it's both to sell the idea and, well, because they aren't set in their plan yet. 

I think this is a valid point. I think it's partly because they don't know. There's 2 months until the draft. Lot's of player evaluations and interview to be undertaken. And 2 months for Dwayne to be in there proving he's the franchise QB to the new regime. Come April 24, if the staff feels really good about Dwayne, they probably don't think twice about a QB.

If Haskins blows up and turns into a baby about this, then I guess we have our answer.

And if the Bengals take Chase Young, you have exposed teams to the thought that you could take Burrow OR Tua at #2 through your pre-draft process, and could get a draft haul for pick #2. Or you convince Detroit you're into Tua, and force them to move to #2, or for Miami to move to #3 and then to #2, to take Chase and get picks back.

Bottom line: this is what a competent staff SHOULD be doing. And nothing they're saying is wrong about Dwayne.

Archived