PCS

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, volsmet said:


Taking Tua wouldn’t prohibit us from seeing what Haskins does this year, unless Haskins couldn’t beat out Tua, in which case I’d be happy to have him. 

 

I agree.  I'd let them duel it out.  Finding a young QB who is really really good and really really cheap seems to be the easiest route to a SB.  But it's not easy to find.  If Haskins beats Tua and he ends up the guy -- great.  It doesn't matter who does it.  It just needs to be someone.

 

I am not saying I am all in on drafting Tua.  I got concerns about his injuries myself.  But if they are sold on Tua and aren't sure about Haskins -- you pull the trigger on Tua.  I don't think its crazy. 

 

McShay and Kiper just did a podcast that centered a lot on this very topic for those interested, I post the link below 

 

I love Chase Young but to me he's irrelevant to this conversation.  I don't think you win a SB without a QB.  Yeah in the ideal world Haskins is the franchise QB and then you land a killer pass rusher.  Clearly that's best case scenario.  And all of us would prefer that to be reality.  But what if they in the building don't see reality that way?

 

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28744723  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see Tua as a sure bet for drafting. He looks good on film, great, but so have many other QBs who ended up being busts. I'm still Yearning for Young, he has a lower chance of being a bust and should be able to make the defense into a real force that we haven't had in over a decade. THEN shoot for the moon and try to find that perfect QB. We're not going to find a new Patrick Mahomes soon, especially not in a QB who's got injury worries who would then play for a team that's injured 4 QBs in two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference in message between Keim and Russell is the different between Max Scherzer and Erick Fedde

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Russel is a total boob. I go back and forth between liking and despising him. He is all about clicks and rumor mongering and is not shy about it. He's almost become a carricature at 1067

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The difference in message between Keim and Russell is the different between Max Scherzer and Erick Fedde

 

Keim has said multiple times they are jazzed about Haskins' talent but have concerns about other things and want to see this off season unfold to allay said concerns.  It's part of the reason why from the get go I thought it would be really surprising if they don't let it all unfold for Haskins this season and if it doesn't work out they'd address the spot in 2021 but not in 2020.

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RedskinsToday tweeted that haskins is planning a trip to Florida for him and his receivers to go there and get some practice in. 

 

Twitter moron replies with “stupid doesn’t do any good heck look at all of the drops and lack of timing between the QB and receivers last season”. 

 

....yes. That’s.....that’s why they’re going to Florida....to....PRACTICE....that stuff. Geez, do people PLAN on being this moronic each day, or what?😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goff & Donald or Deshaun Watson? 
 

🤔

6 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

No, not if you graded Haskins highly or if Tua may not recover from his injury well enough. If the Redskins think Haskins is a franchise guy you always draft Young.


Agreed, if you have Haskins graded as an elite QB, then you take Young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned on the draft thread, the dude I trust the most on Haskins or anything for that matter is Kyle Smith and if he's jazzed about him or any player, I'll be jazzed.  Ironically, he's giving the most sunshine in recent weeks on Haskins so I love reading this. 

 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-vp-player-personnel-kyle-smith-dwayne-haskins-he-needs-his-time

 

...Working out with teammates at an off-site location during the offseason is not uncommon for NFL players. The league has placed multiple rules and regulations on NFL teams that restrict the amount of hands-on access coaches can have with players. It's up to the players to go about it themselves and coordinate times to work out together.

In addition to reaching out to his wideouts to schedule offseason work, Haskins has remained in the building since the season ended and continued to work on his craft. That's something Smith has noticed.

"He's smiling walking around the building," Smith said. "He's excited, he's energized."

The 22-year-old is still raw when it comes to experience; he only started one year at Ohio State and seven games a year ago as a rookie. Smith recognizes this and believes time will serve Haskins extremely well.

"He also needs his time. He's a young kid, man," Smith said. "He's got the right stuff. He's a good kid, he works hard. We're all excited about Dwayne."

Haskins had more than his fair share of growing pains as a rookie, but the Ohio State product really started to catch his stride towards the end of the season. Through the final six quarters of Haskins' season, he threw for 394 yards, four touchdowns, and zero interceptions.

Haskins' progression towards the end of the 2019 campaign has excited many in the building, Smith included.

"I'm really excited about Dwayne," Smith said. "Obviously, as everybody has seen, he kind of ascended as the season went on. He played in [seven] games, he kept improving. I just had a conversation with him the other day. I'm excited, man."

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

You're right. No one ever passes on a player to develop what they have. No one ever improves.

 

This is a pointless argument--we're taking Chase Young.


Careful, your straw is showing.

 

Incidentally, per your logic, all football related arguments on this forum are pointless, my friend.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

An easy choice when you consider the impact an elite QB has in comparison to an elite DE.

 

Imagine this board if we had Alex Smith & then traded that years first, next years first, & a 3rd to move up & take a QB ....when we were only a couple pieces away. Heck, they were selecting 27th, they were already a great team, what idiots. 
 

At pick 10 KC had Jonathan Allen & Marshon Lattimore fall right into their laps ... they’re still looking for answers at CB, I wonder if they’ll survive passing on those studs for a QB. 
 

 

0263348F-3335-47F5-9D34-E970A0C89320.gif

5 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

 

The 49ers with their elite DL would have won the Super Bowl if they had just a decent QB. Jimmy Garap had 3 games this year with more than 300 yards passing and 6 games with 200 or fewer. You want to make the 49ers have to use their QB. I would rather have an elite pass rush and a top 15 QB than a top 3 QB and trash DL.


They also would have won the SB if they paid Matt Moore nothing & spent that absurd JimmyG money on the roster. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:
*kyle smith quotes on dh*


These quotes, of course, mean nothing at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt we take Tua and I doubt we trade back, but I do believe the Redskins love Alabama players and if Tua blows them away then Chase Young is gonna need to hold serve so to speak. Any chinks that come out about Young in the next couple of months and we've got a whole new ballgame. To me that's the real question, after the Skins do their homework on all of the top prospects, is Young still the no-brainer pick or is trading back the better option? I still love the idea of two firsts from Miami this year and a 2nd. Three spots filled instead of one. Simmons, Ruggs and whoever falls out of the 1st round into our laps in round 2. That's a GREAT draft. 

Can Simmons or Okudah close the gap between them and Young before the end of April??? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, volsmet said:


If you give Tua an elite grade, then you draft him. That’s the easiest decision in the world, you don’t consider Young.

 

Tua being perpetually injured doesn't concern you?  Are you sure he won't end up being another Jordan Reed?  An injury-prone QB playing for the most injury-prone team over the last 3 years.  His availability is a real concern.  On top of that, there is no guarantee that he will be a great player.

 

   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

 

Tua being perpetually injured doesn't concern you?  Are you sure he won't end up being another Jordan Reed?  An injury-prone QB playing for the most injury-prone team over the last 3 years.  His availability is a real concern.  On top of that, there is no guarantee that he will be a great player.

 

   


Not much, but my point is only that, if you have Tua graded as an elite level QB prospect, & as @MisterPinstripe mentioned, you do not have that sort of grade on DH, you have to take Tua. Same thing if you have that kind of grade on any QB. Tua is considered as good a prospect as we’ve had since Luck, by some, & you can’t miss the opportunity to get that talent, at that position, with that contract. 
 

I’ve been talking up Chase Young since he was the 10th best college prospect on his high school team, I love the guy, but the league has become much more difficult on outside pass rushers & more protective of its QBs. A guy like Khalil Mack had 8.5 sacks, Von Miller only 8, ..and Miller was paired with everyone’s DE crush, Bradley Chubb, who had 1 sack in his 4 games.... I don’t think any edge rusher that was taken in the top 25, of their draft class, had 12 or more sacks. The shotgun & the freedom given to WRs makes it so easy to get the ball out, the Edge rushers aren’t impacting the game like they used to, they’re easier to adjust for. 
 

I think Young will be the best DE in football, but the great QBs on rookie contracts are the lottery tickets in this league &, so I can’t imagine passing on a Watson level talent for a guy at any other position. Every team has a QB they believed in at some point, you see Cinci pass on Watson & Mahomes because they’re trying to build around Dalton & the Jags miss both because they want to develop Bortles, etc etc etc. The opportunity to pick here is an excruciating one to go through, the only thing, imo, that could make it worse is passing on a QB, who was obviously great, and seeing him go on to be Watson while we languish with a Bortles & then pay 80 million to a Foles. 
 

All I care about is seeing Washington win a SB & the easiest route there is a cheap, gifted, QB room. Russell Wilson wasn’t a better QB on his rookie contract than he is now, but a lesser Wilson on a cheap contract is worth more than the mvp level Wilson. 

 

I think Dallas should be shopping Dak for a shot at Tua, I think the biggest mistake you can make is missing the opportunity to grab a cheap QB .... and the 2nd biggest mistake you can make is paying one of them “market value” - I’m trading my Russell Wilson when his rookie contract runs out, I need a 53 man roster, I can’t have 1/7th of it in a QB. The position is the most valuable in sports by far, and the most overrated in sports by far. It’s fascinating.

 

If Tua or DH win us a SB, I’d thank them by shipping them off to a division rival who will pay them 40 million, and then drafting the next one. Desperate teams at the top of the draft would love Dak, I bet Miami would deal #5 + for the opportunity to pay Dak ... then a Dallas could go grab Tua, which is exactly what they should do.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

How much higher would you have to have Tua graded to pass on Chase Young? And, if he's graded that high, is Burrows that much better? Why wouldn't Cincinnati take him?

 

Much higher I think.

 

These aren't my grades but just say you had Haskins as you evaluate him currently after his play this past season graded at an 80 and you have Tua when he was healthy graded at an 85 (random numbers). Then is that 5 extra points in your grading system worth not only giving up on your 80 QB who's shown improvement and taking a QB with an injury history who's coming off of a really bad season ending one, but also passing on a potentially generational talent at EDGE? IMO no way.

 

Now, if you had your grade on Haskins as a 70 and your grade on Tua as a 95 that's a different story. But I personally don't think they're anywhere near that far apart. I think that when healthy, Tua was a better prospect than Haskins was when he came out. But Tua isn't healthy, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy throughout his college career. That has to be taken into consideration. I loved watching the guy play but there are just too many concerns there for me to seriously consider giving up on Haskins for him and passing on Chase Young.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I doubt we take Tua and I doubt we trade back, but I do believe the Redskins love Alabama players and if Tua blows them away then Chase Young is gonna need to hold serve so to speak. Any chinks that come out about Young in the next couple of months and we've got a whole new ballgame. To me that's the real question, after the Skins do their homework on all of the top prospects, is Young still the no-brainer pick or is trading back the better option? I still love the idea of two firsts from Miami this year and a 2nd. Three spots filled instead of one. Simmons, Ruggs and whoever falls out of the 1st round into our laps in round 2. That's a GREAT draft. 

Can Simmons or Okudah close the gap between them and Young before the end of April??? 

 

This is a totally different angle.  What if, after doing their due diligence, the Redskins don't rate Young as the prospect 99% of the known world does?  If that's the case, all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

 

Much higher I think.

 

These aren't my grades but just say you had Haskins as you evaluate him currently after his play this past season graded at an 80 and you have Tua when he was healthy graded at an 85 (random numbers). Then is that 5 extra points in your grading system worth not only giving up on your 80 QB who's shown improvement and taking a QB with an injury history who's coming off of a really bad season ending one, but also passing on a potentially generational talent at EDGE? IMO no way.

 

Now, if you had your grade on Haskins as a 70 and your grade on Tua as a 95 that's a different story. But I personally don't think they're anywhere near that far apart. I think that when healthy, Tua was a better prospect than Haskins was when he came out. But Tua isn't healthy, and he hasn't been able to stay healthy throughout his college career. That has to be taken into consideration. I loved watching the guy play but there are just too many concerns there for me to seriously consider giving up on Haskins for him and passing on Chase Young.

 


Chase Young is what grade & Ryan Kerrigan/FA is what? Obviously 5 points, using any system, is more significant at QB than Edge. QB impacts every position & there just aren’t a lot of draft classes with QBs scouts like as much as they like Tua - & there aren’t many opportunities with a top 2 pick for any team. Who knows when you have another viable shot at a QB graded this highly. 
 

The only team who was willing to invest a top 15 pick in DH was one owned by an diminutive odalisque, who has a son, who is friends with DH. On the other hand, every team in the nfl would be willing to invest a top 15 pick in an *injured Tua, and a top 5 pick if his health was 100%. 
 

 

Edited by volsmet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

 

This is a totally different angle.  What if, after doing their due diligence, the Redskins don't rate Young as the prospect 99% of the known world does?  If that's the case, all bets are off.


Then, we get new scouts. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I just don't see Tua as a sure bet for drafting. He looks good on film, great, but so have many other QBs who ended up being busts. I'm still Yearning for Young, he has a lower chance of being a bust and should be able to make the defense into a real force that we haven't had in over a decade. THEN shoot for the moon and try to find that perfect QB. We're not going to find a new Patrick Mahomes soon, especially not in a QB who's got injury worries who would then play for a team that's injured 4 QBs in two years.

I agree with you.  I want Chase Young. My issue with Tua is not that I think he won't succeed, he is one helluva talent.  My issue is he won't last. I think he is fragile. I just do. Some guys are just injury prone.  And if he got that banged up in college, with what I view as a significant injury, what is it going to be like in the NFL where guys are bigger, faster and overall stronger? 

 

I just want the Skins to pick a guy who is healthy, who has been  healthy, meaning no significant injuries, who can be a real game changer.  That is what you do with the #2 pick in the draft.  For me that is Chase Young.  

 

I also want to stick with Haskins for now. Bring in a vet like others are suggesting for competition and go from there. I would like to go after Mariotta if he is available.  

Edited by skinsmania123
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The only team who was willing to invest a top 15 pick in DH was one owned by an diminutive odalisque, who has a son, who is friends with DH. 

Goodness Volsmet. Hail

 

An odalisque (Turkish: odalık / اوطه‌لق) was a chambermaid or a female attendant in a Turkish seraglio, particularly the court ladies in the household of the Ottoman sultan.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.