Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

12 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

When Haskins shows up and goes for 4,400 yards and 32 TDs next year I want all of you saying to take Tua to eat your words. Haskins has that sort of upside IMO, and beyond, frankly. 

Tua does not do it for me. Especially with those injuries. Sorry. 

Awfully emotional about DH. 

12 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also what is the opportunity cost of taking Tua at #2? Investing in an injury plagued small QB? 

Well you could probably get 3 #1’s for him PLUS keep the QB with upside you just spent a 1st on.

Or you could add what many consider to be a cant miss all world pass rusher. 

Even if you could sell me on Tua being better than Dwayne today, I don’t think you could sell me on it being a delta big enough to lose out on a draft haul or a all world pass rusher. 

Brees or Carr & Khalil Mack?

🤔

If Haskins is anywhere near what you seem to think he is, then he has trade value, that you’re not weighing in. Just as Young takes out Kerrigan or Sweat, there is more to it.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Chris Russel is not wrong, but he’s a huge, annoying, self aggrandizing, self congratulatory, attention seeking pompous blow hard.  

Who revels in the negative. REVELS in it. Read anything he writes--it's 98% ****ing and moaning. Hell, even after the Nats Wild Card win, he was poo-pooing it, calling it lucky, Taylor didn't get hit, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have no problem with legitimate criticism, but the constant harping on it, seemingly ignoring how well he played in his last couple of games. They also do not take into account the complete **** show and disarray the coaching staff was in--and that's probably some revisionist history--but Jay and Callahan were not on the same page.

8 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

We should draft Chase Young this year and see what Haskins in a full year in 2020. If he busts we'll have a high draft pick next year for a QB. Why miss out on a defensive player like Young?

Teams passed on Watson & Mahomes to see what they had. If Haskins is great, that’s wonderful, but you don’t pass on Tua (if you grade Tua as an elite QB prospect) because Haskins hasn’t proven he stinks.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Who revels in the negative. REVELS in it. Read anything he writes--it's 98% ****ing and moaning. Hell, even after the Nats Wild Card win, he was poo-pooing it, calling it lucky, Taylor didn't get hit, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have no problem with legitimate criticism, but the constant harping on it, seemingly ignoring how well he played in his last couple of games. They also do not take into account the complete **** show and disarray the coaching staff was in--and that's probably some revisionist history--but Jay and Callahan were not on the same page.

I mean he's an Orioles fan. He hasn't seen good baseball since like what 1996?

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not sure anyone has said to straight up draft Tua. I, for one, have argued that he has to be in consideration.

Ive also said there’s a shot Haskins can put it together if he works for it. 

It’s called due diligence. We need to be doing it. 

I hope you’re right and he does do those things. That would be fantastic. 

If you give Tua an elite grade, then you draft him. That’s the easiest decision in the world, you don’t consider Young.

11 minutes ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

My concern is that Chase Young alone might make us good enough to win 1-2 more games, so that even if Haskins busts, our draft pick won't be great.

Well the improved coaching staff too. We probably won't be in position to take Lawrence next year. I want to see what Haskins does this year. Here is the one thing we haven't heard: Any kind of response from Haskins--nothing defending himself or anything like that. And Williams, Rivera et al are only saying what they told him/want to see--nothing about what he is actually doing (at least that I have seen.)

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean he's an Orioles fan. He hasn't seen good baseball since like what 1996?

Mets fan. Paulsen is the O's fan.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

If you give Tua an elite grade, then you draft him. That’s the easiest decision in the world, you don’t consider Young.

Yes you do. It's called developing the player. Teams do it all of the time.

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well the improved coaching staff too. We probably won't be in position to take Lawrence next year. I want to see what Haskins does this year. Here is the one thing we haven't heard: Any kind of response from Haskins--nothing defending himself or anything like that. And Williams, Rivera et al are only saying what they told him/want to see--nothing about what he is actually doing (at least that I have seen.)

Taking Tua wouldn’t prohibit us from seeing what Haskins does this year, unless Haskins couldn’t beat out Tua, in which case I’d be happy to have him. 

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes you do. It's called developing the player. Teams do it all of the time.

The problem with this is that we've never been good at this.  And I kinda mean never.  Cousins may be our most recent and only example of pseudo success, but think of all the qb's we drafted over the years and how poor they have ALL turned out to be.  The most successful QB's we've had have all been developed somewhere else.  Williams had success with us - drafted somewhere else.  Sonny - somewhere else.  Brad Johnson - somewhere else.  RG3 - never really developed.  I mean you could go on and on until you get to Baugh.  He's our success story, but he was also a man among boys when he was drafted and we didn't need to do anything to make him great.

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Taking Tua wouldn’t prohibit us from seeing what Haskins does this year, unless Haskins couldn’t beat out Tua, in which case I’d be happy to have him. 

If you take Tua Haskins has to be traded immediately. There is no "competition".

I like Tua.  As a player he's fantastic.  But he's been a spectator too for quite a bit in his college history.  His injury history scares me.  Maybe I'm jaded because we have a history of drafting injury prone players.  We also don't have even a respectable history of keeping players on the field.  I know we have a new medial staff and all but drafting him is just asking for bad juju.

41 minutes ago, volsmet said:

No, not if you graded Haskins highly or if Tua may not recover from his injury well enough. If the Redskins think Haskins is a franchise guy you always draft Young.

I don’t think I grade Tua as a top tier prospect due to injury concerns. I grade him better than I grade Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, etc., though.

I do, however, grade Young as a top tier prospect. That’s where my hesitation comes in with taking Tua. 

I probably take Young, to be honest. Though I’d have a backup QB in house that I know I could trust as an insurance policy.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Snarky! 

Yes, develop Bortles & pass on Watson. Brilliant.

You guys are entertaining.

You're right. No one ever passes on a player to develop what they have. No one ever improves.

This is a pointless argument--we're taking Chase Young.

42 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

No, not if you graded Haskins highly or if Tua may not recover from his injury well enough. If the Redskins think Haskins is a franchise guy you always draft Young.

I disagree, if Tua's grade is higher than what you had Haskins as, you draft him. You think the Cardinals regret now that they took Murray? These are both better QBs then the respective comparison. 

7 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I disagree, if Tua's grade is higher than what you had Haskins as, you draft him. You think the Cardinals regret now that they took Murray? These are both better QBs then the respective comparison. 

This requires passing on Chase Young.

26 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What does that mean though? If hes graded as a little better than Haskisn you drop Haskins AND Young and draft Tua? Or you draft Tua only if he is graded way higher than Haskins? I would think he would have to be graded a good bit higher than Haskins, or Haskins to be poorly graded, to pass on an elite pass rusher. If the Redskins think Haskins is a franchise QB, even if they grade Tua a little higher, you defintely keep him and get an elite pass rusher as well.

7 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

An easy choice when you consider the impact an elite QB has in comparison to an elite DE.

The 49ers with their elite DL would have won the Super Bowl if they had just a decent QB. Jimmy Garap had 3 games this year with more than 300 yards passing and 6 games with 200 or fewer. You want to make the 49ers have to use their QB. I would rather have an elite pass rush and a top 15 QB than a top 3 QB and trash DL.

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Why would cutting a rookie after one pre season game ever be a good move? How does a human make a first impression multiple times?

People hang on to poor investments out of desperation, it’s an irrational attachment to what’s been lost rather than what you’ve got. Not to say Haskins was a poor investment of a first, but it’s entirely irrational to hang on to him, or play him, because of the first used to acquire him. The first is irrelevant, you can only hurt yourself by continuing to associate cost with an asset, it’s probably the most common mistake in sports. Emotion - our (human) hamartia.

Its what Howie Roseman talked about back in the day (pre-Wentz), they will keep throwing darts until they land on the right QB and if need be throw darts in multiple seasons.

Not saying we have to do that here.  But I trust Kyle Smith and company to figure that out. 

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This is coming from someone who been following Dwayne since his HS days, through his commitment to Maryland etc.

When I hear concern about his work ethic I'm surprised.

But with that being said, clearly there's a "perceived" issue there.

I don't believe he's lazy per se. I just think he's probably the type of person who thinks he's giving it his all when he actually isn't.

Basically, Dwayne just needs to bust his butt and show the new regime he deserves to be the QB.

I am guessing its something like that.  My only quarrel with some here is the idea that there is nothing to see here -- and its just hating to hate or its wild rumors with no substance to them.  I don't think anyone here is hating on the dude just to hate.  And there is a ton of volume on this topic coming really from every direction to think there is nothing to any of it.  As I mentioned the only one who plays it down is Sheehan though he admitted today he's just speculating that they are satisfied with Haskins now on this front and are just dwelling in the past when they hit this point.  Everyone else has said there are presents concerns about it.

But yeah I agree that if Haskins busts his butt, that would reassure everyone.  And I like that they are spelling it out so concretely.  Scott Turner and Doug are practically giving Haskins the manual of what they want to see.  Now he just has to follow through.   And I agree I don't think he's lazy.  It's just that for QBs to be successful in the NFL, most purport you got to be a workaholic -- 24-7 kind of guy.  And to your point, I think Haskins being so talented he probably never felt he had to go that crazy.

I am surprised too.  My take on him before the draft and I shared it at the time is that his intangibles and work ethic isn't a worry.  I recall him talking up how he was doing film prep to prepare for the combine interviews, he talked about how he idolized Brady and read books about him.  It painted the picture that the dude works it hard.  The first time I heard rumblings otherwise was after the combine.  I recall multiple draft geek types saying they heard from their sources (who they claimed to be personnel guys) that Haskins didn't show up the combine in shape and if he can't take that seriously will he take the NFL seriously enough?  Then if I recall in the McGinn scouting reports where he quoted 6 NFL scouts anonymously if I recall at least one talked about hearing work ethic concerns.    I could be mis-recalling it was from there versus me seeing it somewhere else.

I blew all that off at the time.  But now that this issue has gone viral, its tough to ignore.  I think those who believe that anyone bringing this up is grasping at straws -- simply can't be paying attention.  It's really just about in every corner when it comes to discussion about Haskins, doesn't matter what the beat guy is, heck some national reporters have it as part of their narrative.  Even Logan Paulsen referenced it indirectly in a podcast, and he's not even in this locker room.  So no doubt this issue is out.  I actually think its good that its out this much because one thing that hits me about Haskins is he's competitive as heck.  So I do think everyone just about talking about his work ethic might be the best fuel to the fire so speak.

From what I've seen personally as to Haskins, I think he's a nice guy.  I give special kudos to any player who is nice to kids and gives them some time.  When I was a kid I used to collect autographs from baseball players and to this day I recall who were the cool players on that front and who weren't.   Derrius Guice and Haskins are the nicest players I've ever seen on that front.  They spent 30 minutes or so after practice, taking pictures, talking to the fans, signing everything kids throw at them.   There are some others players that were really cool to the kids on that front, too.  And some, like Jonathan Allen, won't even acknowledge any fan calling him, I've never seen him sign an autograph, nothing.  I see him do it when the Redskins do events with military members but otherwise in the 14 practices or so i've seen live, nada.  And he's not the only one who doesn't engage on that front.  Haskins is super cool.  Ran into Haskins at the team hotel last season, even there he signed autographs for every kid within ear shot.   Super nice guy.

Archived