Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Play pretend keenum starts..unless of course if Colt sucking from the teat miraculously heals and wins the starting job...so say Colt/keenum starts and just plays on fire all season the skins win 11-12 games mainly from excellent qb play go to playoffs win division wins a playoff game than what for 2020?...THAN WHAT?

Call me crazy but I actually think this has a good chance of happening. Case did it two years ago, and there are some similarities. 

Iirc, the vikings were anchored by a strong defense. We could very well have a defense like that this year. 

The running back situition was similar to ours. They had McKinnon (thompson) and Murray (AP, guice).

We really just need conistency from the tight end position and for a breakout at the wide receiver position for us to mimic what the 17' vikings did. I think we are primed at wide receiver and we'll just have to hope Jordan Reed has a good year. 

If we do go on a run with case, haskins rides the bench the whole year and we either trade or receive a comp pick for keenum. 

4 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

The Vikings had Thielen, Diggs, and another burner WR. They had arguably the best receiving corps in the NFL...while we currently have possibly the worst.

Oh we have the worst currently.. but I feel case + McLaurin + Harmon + quinn changes that a lot. And there isn't much to stop those guys from starting. 

19 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

If we do go on a run with case, haskins rides the bench the whole year and we either trade or receive a comp pick for keenum. 

I might have something wrong here, but Keenums a UFA next year. I think it's going to be (for this year) Keenum starting w/McCoy backup, and Haskins at 3rd. There could be some back and forth if both Keenum and McCoy screw up at times. If we end up out of the playoffs with 2 or 3 games left, they might let Haskins in for a preyear warmup. I feel though that if Keenum stays healthy he'll start and finish the year, playoffs or not.

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

I might have something wrong here, but Keenums a UFA next year. I think it's going to be (for this year) Keenum starting w/McCoy backup, and Haskins at 3rd. There could be some back and forth if both Keenum and McCoy screw up at times. If we end up out of the playoffs with 2 or 3 games left, they might let Haskins in for a preyear warmup. I feel though that if Keenum stays healthy he'll start and finish the year, playoffs or not.

McCoy is not playing imo. It's gonna be case to start and depending on performance and team record, week 10 after our bye is a good time to let haskins take the keys. 

18 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Oh we have the worst currently.. but I feel case + McLaurin + Harmon + quinn changes that a lot. And there isn't much to stop those guys from starting. 

It's weird how you're skeptical of Haskins being able to contribute, but are sure Harmon can.  I get the fall of Quinn, he profiles as a Slot only type that won't make any extra YAC that isn't already there from the coverage.  But Harmon has massive issues to his game, he tested poorly, and that shows on tape.  He was also an outside WR in college unlike Quinn.  Sometimes it can be argued if someone "fell" in the draft due to outside factors, or they were drafted "where their actual value was".

I'd argue Harmon went where he was supposed to, whereas guys like Geno Atkins and Russell Wilson (fell due to size concerns), Maurice Hurst (fell due to heart issue), or Keenan Allen (fell due to differences in tape speed vs combine speed).

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Then what, you say? Well, then I’ll just be waking up from my dream 😂😂 

i hope that dream of ours somehow comes true though! Wouldn’t that be sweet :D 

Well ya for sure but we know it won't happen..jus like ya said a dream more than anything....buuuuuuut lol it would be crazy if it happened

44 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Call me crazy but I actually think this has a good chance of happening. Case did it two years ago, and there are some similarities. 

Iirc, the vikings were anchored by a strong defense. We could very well have a defense like that this year. 

The running back situition was similar to ours. They had McKinnon (thompson) and Murray (AP, guice).

We really just need conistency from the tight end position and for a breakout at the wide receiver position for us to mimic what the 17' vikings did. I think we are primed at wide receiver and we'll just have to hope Jordan Reed has a good year. 

Completely agree here... especially if..IF the o line can stay healthy(good God give us a break this year)and we have a two headed monster with Guice and AP..idk doctson finally breaks out(lol)production from the rookie wr and like ya said production from the te's and with a #toptendefense we could suprise some folks..

12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Completely agree here... especially if..IF the o line can stay healthy(good God give us a break this year)and we have a two headed monster with Guice and AP..idk doctson finally breaks out(lol)production from the rookie wr and like ya said production from the te's and with a #toptendefense we could suprise some folks..

Pass it over to me I gotta take a couple of good hits so I can feel it too...

30 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's weird how you're skeptical of Haskins being able to contribute, but are sure Harmon can.  I get the fall of Quinn, he profiles as a Slot only type that won't make any extra YAC that isn't already there from the coverage.  But Harmon has massive issues to his game, he tested poorly, and that shows on tape.  He was also an outside WR in college unlike Quinn.  Sometimes it can be argued if someone "fell" in the draft due to outside factors, or they were drafted "where their actual value was".

No one knows actual value. Kids progress/digress. Also coaches aren't omniscient. Some players don't get the chance they need to succeed. 

I am high on the young WR group

I believe both McLaurin and harmon are pro ready and offer things currently lacking on our roster. Also, nothing considerable is keeping them from starting. I.e. they are going to get a really good opportunity, opportunities that later round picks don't usually get due to draft status alone.

I also like Quinn as a slot guy. 

And don't get me wrong, I like haskins just fine I just don't think it's smart to throw him in there when we have a competent bridge. 

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I believe both McLaurin and harmon are pro ready and offer things currently lacking on our roster...

This is so accurate.  What do McLaurin & Harmon excel at? BLOCKING. We are moving to a defensively oriented team that is physical and controls the clock. With the stable of RB's we have it makes sense. We shall see about the Oline. I absolutely get the picks from that perspective, and I might add that Hamon catches EVERYTHING, and McLaurin can fly, like really fly, AND was the highest rated special teams player in the draft. With our makeup, honestly, what is not to like? My humble opinion only. Hail 

57 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

This is so accurate.  What do McLaurin & Harmon excel at? BLOCKING. We are moving to a defensively oriented team that is physical and controls the clock. With the stable of RB's we have it makes sense. We shall see about the Oline. I absolutely get the picks from that perspective, and I might add that Hamon catches EVERYTHING, and McLaurin can fly, like really fly, AND was the highest rated special teams player in the draft. With our makeup, honestly, what is not to like? My humble opinion only. Hail 

I mean, Harmon is a less athletic Doctson.  Doctson is a surprisingly good blocker, in college he also caught everything.

2 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I believe both McLaurin and harmon are pro ready and offer things currently lacking on our roster.

Harmon can run like, 2 routes right now.  Fade and comeback.  He struggles seriously vs press, he can't run any in routes, corners sniff those out immediately.  I love his effort with run blocking and how he fights for 50/50 balls.  He's extremely raw with his route running and not tipping his releases/breaks.  His best route is definitely the come back, that's the only one he's kind of refined.

It's never a bad thing to have reality checks.  A rookie is WR always hard pressed to crack even our feeble WR lineup, let alone contribute significantly.... it often comes down to teams.... can they team - maybe let's pencil them in as a 5, if not, its time for the practice squad, kid.

Don't sleep on __________ !   Heck I am just waking up from the last guy I wasn't supposed to sleep on.

I'm feeling some kind of way about Cooley's film breakdown. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling a little bias coming out of Cooley's mouth.

Starting at 17:55 he begins breaking down Haskins then follows that with a break down of Daniel Jones.

To me the knock on QB's that look like Haskins will always be the same. Just listen to this dialogue. In the meantime, he considers Jones above 4 stars 🙄

Some people don't even know when they're being a certain way. Like the surprise in Cooley's voice when his incompetent side kick says Haskins is from Potomac.

Maybe its me, but this breakdown reeked of preference over performance. Someone said if Haskins would have had the numbers Jones had, Haskins would be trying out for the AAF. 

https://player.fm/series/cooley-at-the-park/episode-47-cooley-breaks-down-qbs-dwayne-haskins-and-daniel-jones

On 4/30/2019 at 10:39 PM, Redskin4ever said:

Theismann is nothing but a blowhard. He was a great player for the Redskins 35 years ago.  His post football career has been nothing but nonsensical quote after nonsensical quote. He has diarrhea of the mouth and rarely makes any sense. But since he was a great player, fans think that when he speaks others should listen. 

I looked up his stats. He wasn't even that great. He wouldn't have made it past his rookie deal in today's NFL. 

45 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I'm feeling some kind of way about Cooley's film breakdown. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling a little bias coming out of Cooley's mouth.

Starting at 17:55 he begins breaking down Haskins then follows that with a break down of Daniel Jones.

To me the knock on QB's that look like Haskins will always be the same. Just listen to this dialogue. In the meantime, he considers Jones above 4 stars 🙄

Some people don't even know when they're being a certain way. Like the surprise in Cooley's voice when his incompetent side kick says Haskins is from Potomac.

Maybe its me, but this breakdown reeked of preference over performance. Someone said if Haskins would have had the numbers Jones had, Haskins would be trying out for the AAF. 

https://player.fm/series/cooley-at-the-park/episode-47-cooley-breaks-down-qbs-dwayne-haskins-and-daniel-jones

We've reached a point where white people are comfortable with black QBs now ... IFFFFF they fit a certain mold. 

When they succeed with their mind and their arm, like Jameis Winston or Dwayne Haskins, they don't know how to handle it. 

Daniel Jones is trash. 

10 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

I looked up his stats. He wasn't even that great. He wouldn't have made it past his rookie deal in today's NFL. 

We've reached a point where white people are comfortable with black QBs now ... IFFFFF they fit a certain mold. 

When they succeed with their mind and their arm, like Jameis Winston or Dwayne Haskins, they don't know how to handle it. 

Daniel Jones is trash. 

I'll preface this by saying I didnt listen to cooleys take nor do I care. It really doesn't matter until we see Haskins on the field and I for one hope and think he will succeed.  On another note Jameis Winston is not a QB I would use to set a standard with.  I hope and pray Haskins blows through the "ceiling" or bar that Winston has set.

13 hours ago, joeken24 said:

A critical review.  According to Cooley, Haskins ran very simple pass concepts and Cooley questioned Haskins ability to make pre-snap reads because in the OSU system the adjustments come in from the sidelines.  Cooley said he waits until the receiver is visibly open before throwing so Cooley wonders how well he reads defenses.  Cooley likes his arm but not much else and describes him as a project.

I hope Cooley is wrong.  Other than criticizing Haskins for being slow Cooley's critique sounds somewhat like how Griffin performed in the pocket waiting for someone to get open rather than understanding where the opening would be based on an understanding the defense and throwing his guy open.

He liked Jones a lot more.  Saw more evidence of Jones understanding more complex pass concepts, reading defenses, handling the pressure and throwing guys open.  Cooley saw evidence that Jones had a grasp of defenses and NFL style passing concepts.  He said Jones did more with less at Duke.  The Giant's talent evaluators must have seen the same things as Cooley.  Once again I hope Cooley is wrong.

Cooley does raise points about the offense that Haskins ran.  How does a team evaluate QBs that play in very simple systems?  Urban Meyer had a lot of success with talented rosters running a simple spread scheme.  Lots of colleges run similar offenses.  Haskins ran less than his fleet-footed precessors but according to Cooley still ran a very simple passing scheme. 

I suppose they have chalk talks during the interview process to plum the depth of a prospect's understanding of defenses but that's not the same as watching a kid run a pro-style scheme in college so teams are left to guess.  Hopefully, Haskins will put in the work and adapt to the NFL game.

54 minutes ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

I'll preface this by saying I didnt listen to cooleys take nor do I care. It really doesn't matter until we see Haskins on the field and I for one hope and think he will succeed.  On another note Jameis Winston is not a QB I would use to set a standard with.  I hope and pray Haskins blows through the "ceiling" or bar that Winston has set.

I'll preface this by saying I do not care about your opinion, but nowhere in there at all did I compare the two or suggest anyone as a bar for anyone else. I simply suggested they have similarities in that they are african-american quarterbacks who do not run or use their athleticism, but instead rely on their head and arm to play QB. Read the conversation. Those are just simple facts anyone who's watched either of the two play can agree with. 

You just basically went off on your own irrelevant tangent. 👍 

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

It's never a bad thing to have reality checks.  A rookie is WR always hard pressed to crack even our feeble WR lineup, let alone contribute significantly.... 

True but i think he has about as much potential to break out as Doctson. Yea thats bad for doc but its good for him lol

2 hours ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Daniel Jones is trash. 

Of all the black QBs you could have chosen you went with Winston and not Deshaun Watson? Almost throws the entire point of your post off

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Of all the black QBs you could have chosen you went with Winston and not Deshaun Watson? Almost throws the entire point of your post off

I don't think you understand what he's saying. In fact you may be proving it. Deshaun Watson, that poster would argue, is easier to digest for some because he's succeeding the way some expect black QBs to succeed. Haskins doesn't, so he draws more criticism about his athleticism than an equivalent white QB would and isn't given as much credit for the subtler things he does in the pocket. 

Obviously we hope he's better than Winston, that's not the comparison that poster was making. 

He can correct me if I'm misrepresenting his position, but it seemed clear to me you missed his point. 

Given Grudens historic preference to only carry 2 QBs, it will be interesting to see what gives. Colt has a 2mil guarantee, aside from that both he and Case seem a wash to me. Personally I'd be ready for a change to Case if that was the choice. Common sense says carry all three this year with Smith on IR.

Not sure I like the notion of Haskins coming in mid season if we are sucking big time. I'd either start him right out, or just sit him for the year and let the 2 vets fight it out.

In a scenario where we are 2-6, playing crap, dysfunction has set in, half the squad is on IR and the rest are slagging the organisation off on social media, inserting Haskins in to the starting line up seems counter productive compared to putting him in week 1, in my opinion.

Bottom line, any decision should pivot around where Haskins' progress gets to over the next 12-14 weeks.

The Haskins conversation reeks of the Payne conversation from last years draft. Everyone knew that Payne was only a run stopper, and thus wasn't worth the 13th pick. Now it's about these criticisms of Haskins. And i get the idea that we're going into the deadest part of the off-season, but it's amazing how much people know so early. It reminds me of the teacher who knew I'd be in jail by 25. How about we let it play out. Besides no matter where he is now, if he can learn and improve, he can succeed. 

Archived