Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On another note, why doesn't this team cut Colt tomorrow and sign Brett Rypien to fill that no. 3 spot? Colt clearly has no future here and Callahan does not want to play him. It'd be worth signing Rypien to get a look at him as a cheap long term backup for Haskins. If he sticks, then this team doesn't have to spend a Day 3 pick in the draft on a developmental arm

3 hours ago, method man said:

On another note, why doesn't this team cut Colt tomorrow and sign Brett Rypien to fill that no. 3 spot? Colt clearly has no future here and Callahan does not want to play him. It'd be worth signing Rypien to get a look at him as a cheap long term backup for Haskins. If he sticks, then this team doesn't have to spend a Day 3 pick in the draft on a developmental arm

I live in Broncos country... And the fanbase is calling for Lock whom has taken little snaps and was out played by Rypien in preseason. To your point he is still on the Broncos roster- I was thinking hed get the nod this weekend- so how would we just sign him? Hed have to be cut then claimed or traded for at this point in time... Or did i miss something?

3 hours ago, method man said:

This has less to do with Rypien and more with the general thought. I wonder where Josh Woodrum falls into this. I'm going to admit that I was pulling for guys like Mason Rudolph and Kyle Lauletta and Ryan FInley and neither has looked very impressive. Now that we've got Haskins though I'm weary about bringing in another young QB. I think about when we did that with Heath and RG3 and both times the lower round guy took the job. Maybe that's for the better because it could get us a guy here to hold down the position, but at the same time I think it could be more beneficial to get a supporting cast here to help Haskins. 

On that same front though I wonder how much Colt knows KOC's offense. How different is it from Gruden? And while I hear positive things about the QB room at Redskins park, the names I hear mentioned the most with reference to Haskins are Smith and occasionally Doug Williams. I think I've heard Colt and Case maybe a few times in the summer, but I wonder about their relationship and if either has a chance to come back next year as the backup (or third string if Smith is the backup). 

35 minutes ago, CowboyKillerz said:

I live in Broncos country... And the fanbase is calling for Lock whom has taken little snaps and was out played by Rypien in preseason. To your point he is still on the Broncos roster- I was thinking hed get the nod this weekend- so how would we just sign him? Hed have to be cut then claimed or traded for at this point in time... Or did i miss something?

Lock just got activated and Rypien was let go to make room for him

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This has less to do with Rypien and more with the general thought. I wonder where Josh Woodrum falls into this. I'm going to admit that I was pulling for guys like Mason Rudolph and Kyle Lauletta and Ryan FInley and neither has looked very impressive. Now that we've got Haskins though I'm weary about bringing in another young QB. I think about when we did that with Heath and RG3 and both times the lower round guy took the job. Maybe that's for the better because it could get us a guy here to hold down the position, but at the same time I think it could be more beneficial to get a supporting cast here to help Haskins. 

On that same front though I wonder how much Colt knows KOC's offense. How different is it from Gruden? And while I hear positive things about the QB room at Redskins park, the names I hear mentioned the most with reference to Haskins are Smith and occasionally Doug Williams. I think I've heard Colt and Case maybe a few times in the summer, but I wonder about their relationship and if either has a chance to come back next year as the backup (or third string if Smith is the backup). 

woodrum was nothing more than a camp arm. Probably wasn’t going to make the practice squad either.

On 11/29/2019 at 8:23 AM, dyst said:

You think he is playing to the standards a #15 pick should? You have some low standards and its no wonder this team is where it is. 

As for Haskins, “so far”, yes his ass is a bust. If he plays better, he won’t be. It’s simple really. Play better.

You can't call anyone a success or a bust.

Not after just 3 measly starts.

Where would the cowboys and their 1990s Super Bowl titles be if they gave up on Aikman after 3 starts? Didn't he go like 1-15 his first year in the league?

I have no idea if Haskins will succeed in the NFL, but it is impossible to tell after just 3 starts.

Especially considering the situation he is in (fired head coach, missing left tackle, lousy front office and owner, etc.).

On 11/29/2019 at 8:06 AM, ananoman said:

There's plenty to be concerned about when a high first round draft choice goes 13/29 for 156 yds with 0 TD and 1 int  while a guy like Blough, an undrafted rookie third stringer thrown into his first regular season NFL debut on a short week manages to go 22/38 for 280 yds with 2 TD and 1 int , oh and this against the NFL's 5th ranked Defense

Are you referring to all the interceptions Peyton threw in his rookie year?

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Going to pin this as to read later

Just did. Not much in the article, it was more in a way about O’Connell than Haskins.

the gist of it is they threw longer against the Lions versus the Bills game. The Bills game plan was super conservative, the Lions game not so much. 

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A few points from the discussion above:

1. Selling play action has less to do with the success of rhe run game and more to do with the ENTIRE TEAM selling the run.  That includes the OL, TE, RB and QB for the most part.  DL and LBs are going to react to the OL first before the QB has actually done anything.  

The QB is a key component of it though.  I recall from other posts you listen to a lot of Cooley podcasts as I do.  Cooley slammed the O line last year for being bad at it at times but also said its unusual for an O line from his observation to be poor at selling play action because you just have to carry out the assignment like its a run block, that's it.  He also explained why at least he thinks that outside zone in his mind is the best type of run to do play action off of, and in the clip I showed -- outside zone was indeed the block in play.   

It's tough for the free safety in particular to notice the nuances of the O line but obviously the D line sees it.  They are often looking at the Qb and RB. If you want to manipulate the secondary purely by the blocking, some say then pull the guard and if so sometimes the eyes of the MLBs and safeties will follow. 

It is a symphony of the team, that's true.  But the QB is the key player in this and Haskins at the moment IMO needs to work on his part of it.  And as for the whole team is on it that also includes the design of the play itself.  Defenses need to be sold that the formation and the look all sells the run.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1078400-football-101-breaking-down-the-art-of-the-play-action

Play-action passing requires several techniques that a quarterback must execute, and for starts, I look to the "mesh point" with a running example of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who is one of the league's best, if not the best, at executing a play-action pass.

The act of a handoff in layman terms—the mesh point taking place—is when the quarterback must sell it as if an actual exchanging of the ball is occurring. The way this is done is by watching the ball be placed in and then out of the belly of the running back. He must watch the ball all the way through to make it seem like a run play is being executed, as witnessed in the image of Brady eyeballing the ball-carrier. 

Once the eyes are fixated on the ball-carrier, the quarterback must take the next step in the process of executing the fake by sinking his shoulders. Brady does an excellent job of this, and the reason this is asked of the quarterback is because to help cause indecision among the defenders at the second and third level who are reading their keys. 

Sinking the shoulders.

The key responsibilities of a linebacker, for example, can be to read through a specific blocker, such as a guard to the ball-carrier. If the ball-carrier looks as if he's receiving the ball from the quarterback, who is dipping his shoulders, it causes conflict for the reader.

Further, a defensive back at the third-and-deep level of the defense is also sometimes taught to read the quarterbacks shoulder to identify when he's delivering or intending to throw the ball.

7 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Are you referring to all the interceptions Peyton threw in his rookie year?

I always like to remind people there's a thing called context.  Yeah, he led the league in INTs, but he also led the league in attempts.  Think about that for a second. That's kinda crazy and almost never happens.  Doesnt seem so noteworthy then.  He was also 5th in TDs and 3rd in yards, which people also like to ignore.  

QBs will cut slack if they're making a bunch of plays and getting in the endzone a few times.  Daniel Jones gets the benefit of that, I think.  Haskins has struggled at that.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I'm looking forward to the first game where Haskins looks like an NFL QB, because all the Haskins truthers will come outta the woodwork with "SEE!!! I told you he just needed time!".  Guaranteed.  lol

I’m willing to bet you will see a lot more people calling it a fluke than people saying I told you so. 

No one is really super high on the dude at the moment

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The QB is a key component of it though. 

I wasn't disagreeing, I was adding to the point.  the QB is the cog that makes it go.   you could have Peyton Manning ball handing skills and it wouldn’t be as effective if the rest of the team didn’t do their jobs.

And again, I point to bad preparation and attention to detail which has been a problem with this team for the last 6 years.  

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

And now we have 1 thread for all haskins stuff.  This board in the stadium has 0 original talk anymore.  It's the tailgate or Twitter now.  This board has taken a turn for the worse in the last few years. 

Majority of the best posters left or their output and focus on football diminished.  I know mine did, other things become more important and the team isn't good or even functional enough to overcome those obstacles.  Furthermore, the board's initial focus on keeping the first page or two "clean" was necessary but now in the age of Twitter, reddit, etc. it's harming the ability of new and interesting divergent conversations to emerge.  I didn't even know Trent gave a "tell-all" (ok, not really but it was significant) interview except by replies people made to the original news. It was all buried in the Trent thread but I wouldn't have known except that I knew he was reporting back to the team.   

There are still gems here and there but we can no longer blame the quality on the influx of "normie" posters, it's not what Extremeskins is, and part of it is a technosocial change.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

or their output and focus on football diminished.  I know mine did, other things become more important and the team isn't good or even functional enough to get overcome those obstacles. 

this is a big part of it. It’s hard to be excited and put in the effort when the team is a hopeless dysfunctional mess with no change in sight. It’s hard to care when the team gives so little reason to do so. 

also, we just went thru years of RG3 and Cousins play analysis and both broke our hearts. Just not sure I want to go thru it all again for someone that’s even further behind than those two and I’m less confident will be as good as either 

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

this is a big part of it. It’s hard to be excited and put in the effort when the team is a hopeless dysfunctional mess with no change in sight. It’s hard to care when the team gives so little reason to do so. 

also, we just went thru years of RG3 and Cousins play analysis and both broke our hearts. Just not sure I want to go thru it all again for someone that’s even further behind than those two and I’m less confident will be as good as either 

Good point on RG3 and Cousins but keep in mind I made my bones on QB posts during the Ramsey/Brunell/Campbell years.  So at this point it's like a reverse of being a Bulls fan during Jordan years.  Instead of the height of all achievement and greatness and having no mountains left to ascend, we experienced the height of hopes rising, crushed under heel of fate, losing Sean Taylor, futility and now outright-awfulness.  I have a bookend to my Redskins fandom, glory and misery.  What depths are left to plumb? 

Another terrible half from "Simba" - something like 7/13 and 47 yards.  I don't know where you Haskins apologists are seeing progress here, its comical - you might as well call the WR core the flying haskinites because they literally need to be acrobats to catch his wildly inaccurate balls.  I'd love to see the YAC for all Haskins throws over 3 yards this season, it literally might be zero.

Its so bad its literally like a parody of itself, also what was he doing when he fumbled then didn't really want to go after the ball then sort of wanted to make it look like he sort of did ??  That was awkward, but indicative of his personality/work ethic.  wow...  we are doomed.

4 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Another terrible half from "Simba" - something like 7/13 and 47 yards.  I don't know where you Haskins apologists are seeing progress here, its comical - you might as well call the WR core the flying haskinites because they literally need to be acrobats to catch his wildly inaccurate balls.  I'd love to see the YAC for all Haskins throws this season, it literally might be zero.

Its so bad its literally like a parody of itself, also what was he doing when he fumbled then didn't really want to go after the ball then sort of wanted to make it look like he sort of did ??  That was awkward, but indicative of his personality/work ethic.  wow...  we are doomed.

Cant believe he missed that kick to go up at half time!!! What a loser

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been quasi paying attention as we decorate for Christmas.  But from what I’ve seen he’s actually looked pretty good and I would think he has more than 47 yards.

real stat line 10/17 for 87 :) hardly a game performance

Archived