Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, JSSkinz said:

There's a difference in a QB getting better as the year's progress and one who seems like he is not NFL ready.

Jackson was good from the start, he was 6-1 as a starter last year, 14-3 as a starting QB in his career with 36 total TDs and 8 Ints.

Jackson was good at running from the start. That’s it. Last year, Baltimore has the best defense behind a pro bowl Mosley. Lamar did not look good at any point, and very well could have advanced in the playoffs of Flacco started. What Lamar is now is much different than before, and can be explained by the moves the organization made to help him and adapt the offense to his play style: 

1. resign Boyle ( high end blocking TE who can catch 

2. Draft both Hurst and Andrews in the same draft 

3. Draft the fastest wr in the draft to stretch the field 

4. replace Alex Collins with Mark Ingram

5. replace an overated Weddle with the best FS in the league

6. trade a nobody lb to LA for Marcus Peters. 

all of these moves were phenomenal, and are built around the style of play Lamar brings to the table.

Haskins is a pocket passer with no TE, 1 rookie wr, a 34 yr old rb, a poor line with one pro bowl player holding out, and the other phoning it in ( sherff), a lame duck and interim run focused head coach, and a brutal schedule. Build around him. 

6 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Matt Patricia is going to confuse him as much if not more than Gregg Williams. Then he gets a Ron Rivera defense which isn’t a walk in the park. Followed up by the Preston Smith revenge game and a pretty aggressive Packers team. Then the Eagles trying to stay in the division race. I think the next month will destroy him and any chances of getting a decent coach if Dan and Bruce insist he be developed.

The Packers and Eagles are going to tear our ass up like kleenex.  Pretty sure we just lost the only winnable game left on our schedule.

And you know what?  I don't even really care.  Twenty years, ten years, hell even five years ago a season like this would have ruined me.  Now I'm just numb.  Pretty sure that's not the emotions you should be cultivating Little Danny Boy, but since your culture is so damn good I'm sure you know what you're doing 

40 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Lamar was much better when he came out. Had nothing to do with the team around him. He was more assertive and confident in the decisions he made. Dwayne still looks very indecisive.

no. They were winning in spite of his poor quarterback play and high propensity to fumble, or throw a pick. 

the assertive and confident decisions he made were to run the ball 20+ carries a game. 

Honestly, hats off to Moses in that video on the previous page.  Those 106.7 guys were trying to goad him into saying something bad about Haskins the whole interview, but he avoided the bait.  All they could get was a quote that was taken out of context that they could slap on a tweet to rile the emotions of fans.  I was guilty of falling for it.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

There's a difference in a QB getting better as the year's progress and one who seems like he is not NFL ready.

Jackson was good from the start, he was 6-1 as a starter last year, 14-3 as a starting QB in his career with 36 total TDs and 8 Ints.

That's not my point. 

My point w/ Jackson is the WORK he put in from year one to year two.  He's absolutely NOT the same QB we saw last year.  Watch this vid, starting at 10:20, where he talks about some of the things he did in the offseason. 

NO ONE knows what type of QB Haskins will be.  Could he turn out to be a 1st round bust?  Sure.  However, saying this after 2 pro starts, is ridiculously insane.  He's got a lot working against him in that there's a severe lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, coaches who aren't forward-thinking, and just crappy overall environment to work in.  The team needs to make some major changes going forward if they want him to be successful.  As I said a couple of times...if at this point next season he's struggling, then by all means have the discussion about QBs to draft in 2021. 

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Lamar was much better when he came out. Had nothing to do with the team around him. He was more assertive and confident in the decisions he made. Dwayne still looks very indecisive.

Much better when he came out?  Dude couldn't escape the position switch comments LOL.  He's proving people wrong and he's in a COMPLETELY competent environment where gameplans are made to suit his strengths. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

no. They were winning in spite of his poor quarterback play and high propensity to fumble, or throw a pick. 

the assertive and confident decisions he made were to run the ball 20+ carries a game. 

He threw 3 picks last year, all on deep balls I believe and all in his first 2 starts. The fumbling was an issue with the way he held the ball on runs. He was a very confident QB that took chances knowing full well he had a stellar defense to help bail him out.

Most QB’s come to the line and know what is going on. Who’s blitzing, what coverage they are in, and where he needs to go with the ball. DH is not there yet, at all, he’s seeing ghosts out there still and pulling the escape hatch way too often. That’s not the end of the world, he should get better as he goes.  

If he doesn’t then so be it, he ain’t the guy. But he’s gonna get the chance all of next year I’d imagine, at the very least. I don't think 8 games started is enough to move on from him in this draft. Imo.

In Buffalo he threw for 68% in a vanilla game plan that was ultra ultra conservative. We were in the game longer than yesterday.

Yesterday he threw for 54% in a more open offense but still leaned conservative game plan. And the game got away from us quickly.

These fluctuations I think are common in the development of a QB. There are many Qb’s in the league, who played a lot more in college, who struggle well into their 2nd and 3rd seasons.. A little patience is needed in this situation before we hit the Bail button imo.

That throw down the sideline where McLaurin made that ridiculous catch and also that 67 yard pass play down the field that was called back because of a penalty are both what we’d like to call “flash plays” We all know Haskins is inexperienced and not yet ready for prime time but it’s not like the skill set isn’t there.  That throw on the run for 67 yards was an unbelievable throw.  Have to be happy that Haskins could even connect on that throw.  But nobody can trust that the right moves will ever be made to help Haskins develop into a great winning QB.  Not here, at least.

11 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He threw 3 picks last year, all on deep balls I believe and all in his first 2 starts. The fumbling was an issue with the way he held the ball on runs. He was a very confident QB that took chances knowing full well he had a stellar defense to help bail him out.

This really isnt an honest argument when you consider he ran the ball 20 times a game. Seriously we all know he didnt throw it or take chances doing so. This was the main knock on him. Pretending its a positive is just like lying. We all know this happened you dont have to lie to make your point. 

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

That throw down the sideline where McLaurin made that ridiculous catch and also that 67 yard pass play down the field that was called back because of a penalty are both what we’d like to call “flash plays” We all know Haskins is inexperienced and not yet ready for prime time but it’s not like the skill set isn’t there.  That throw on the run for 67 yards was an unbelievable throw.  Have to be happy that Haskins could even connect on that throw.  But nobody can trust that the right moves will ever be made to help Haskins develop into a great winning QB.  Not here, at least.

The one on the run to TMC that got called back was awesome.

The second one, let's stop right there.  TMC made an incredible play and straight up took that ball away from the defender.  We can say Haskins put it up and gave TMC a shot to catch it, but the defender had much better position to pick that ball.

Flash plays are nice but he missed some really basic throws.  I think after the Bostic pick he had a receiver sitting wide open in front of him for a short gain and he missed wide on a throw.  He missed some other relatively easy throws, too.

I said it before, there were some drops for sure.  But when he can't hit a stationary target that's like 7 yards away, that's troublesome.  

15 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Jackson was good at running from the start. That’s it. Last year, Baltimore has the best defense behind a pro bowl Mosley. Lamar did not look good at any point, and very well could have advanced in the playoffs of Flacco started. What Lamar is now is much different than before, and can be explained by the moves the organization made to help him and adapt the offense to his play style: 

1. resign Boyle ( high end blocking TE who can catch 

2. Draft both Hurst and Andrews in the same draft 

3. Draft the fastest wr in the draft to stretch the field 

4. replace Alex Collins with Mark Ingram

5. replace an overated Weddle with the best FS in the league

6. trade a nobody lb to LA for Marcus Peters. 

all of these moves were phenomenal, and are built around the style of play Lamar brings to the table.

Haskins is a pocket passer with no TE, 1 rookie wr, a 34 yr old rb, a poor line with one pro bowl player holding out, and the other phoning it in ( sherff), a lame duck and interim run focused head coach, and a brutal schedule. Build around him. 

That's not fair to Lamar though.  He game managed in the passing game.  He compensated for his deficiencies by running, which put him in advantageous down and distances.  So he just had to make a throw here or there and they'd move the ball up and down the field.  

They wouldn't have even been in the playoffs had Flacco been starting. They were 4-5 with Flacco and spinning their wheels.  And Flacco and Lamar were performing basically the same in the passing game.  

If Haskins brought anything to the table to compensate for his ineffectiveness as a passer, he could buy himself some time to develop like Lamar did.  When a rookie QB is 6-1 as a starting QB and spark the whole team, that's all the "good" he needed to be.  For a rookie QB, that's good enough.  It looks a lot more promising for him than if he's bumbling and stumbling around looking clueless.  

Understanding that I’m not passing long term judgement on the guy, Haskins made a lot of ugly throws.  
Heck, even some of the positive plays were poorly thrown or poor choices... or both.  
On the pick to Quinn, I actually blame Haskins for that.  Quinn didn’t see the guy to his right and assumed Haskins would throw away from the linebacker to his left, so he slid that direction.  Haskins shouldn’t have thrown to him as Quinn was well bracketed.  JMO.  

Screen pass to Guice, Haskins did a good job beating the pressure and using arm slotting to get it past a defender, but he threw it to the inside of Guice - maybe a yard off target.  

The TD to Sprinkle was about 2 yards under thrown (better than 2 yards over though).  

Defensed pass at the end zone, should have seen the wide open guy further to the outside.  

Slant to McLaurin, I’m not going to ding him for, but I hated seeing Terry get lit up like that.  

Made some nice reads/throws too - the bomb to Terry and the conversion were very good plays - some of which were carelessly dropped.  

Overall though, it was about as I expected.  Yes, the Jets secondary isn’t very good, but I knew Gregg was going to put a lot of pressure on Haskins.  Good on Dwayne for ending strong rather than folding under pressure.  

13 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

@skinny21 You know who else made a lot of ugly throws?  Philip Rivers...and he’s like a 25 year vet. 

So did Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Leinart, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Rick Mirer, David Carr, Cade McNown, Andre Ware, David Klingler, Johnny Manziel and countless others. Haskins is a bust. Like many, so many before him....

1 minute ago, Simmsy said:

Is it true that Haskins was begging his OL for help and not one of them reacted to him?

They reacted to him. Not the reaction he wanted but a reaction nonetheless. Particularly Bergstrom. It wasn’t a plea for help either, more of a chewing out and blaming others for his own shortcomings. Very typical of entitled hyper egotistical players who compare themselves to Brady and Rodgers.

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

They reacted to him. Not the reaction he wanted but a reaction nonetheless. Particularly Bergstrom. It wasn’t a plea for help either, more of a chewing out and blaming others for his own shortcomings. Very typical of entitled hyper egotistical players who compare themselves to Brady and Rodgers.

You gotta be more honest if you want to have any credibility brah. Literally no one has said this but you and you have no evidence that is what was happening. 

And I hated that ****. 

Archived