Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

30 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't take that clip as Dwayne calling out his o-line or yelling at them.  But I do take it that his o-line has close to zero respect for him because most of them wouldn't even look in his direction.  Shades of 2015 when the o-line was getting blasted by fans and media for looking terrible until there was a quarterback change.

I didn't take it that way either.  I took it as a young kid trying to appease his veteran teammates.  And it was ****ing weird.

Matt Patricia is going to confuse him as much if not more than Gregg Williams. Then he gets a Ron Rivera defense which isn’t a walk in the park. Followed up by the Preston Smith revenge game and a pretty aggressive Packers team. Then the Eagles trying to stay in the division race. I think the next month will destroy him and any chances of getting a decent coach if Dan and Bruce insist he be developed.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Except, as the announcers pointed out at least a dozen times yesterday, Greg Williams was showing blitz but only sending 4 or 5 the vast majority of the game. Sad that Moses can’t even do “simple math”. 

But in the pre-snap reads you don't know who's coming and who's not. So if Williams is showing 9 guys coming, the QB, and the OL have to decide protections. So if there are only 5 blocking on that play they've got to decide how they're going to block it, and what the hot route is. It makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

But in the pre-snap reads you don't know who's coming and who's not. So if Williams is showing 9 guys coming, the QB, and the OL have to decide protections. So if there are only 5 blocking on that play they've got to decide how they're going to block it, and what the hot route is. It makes sense. 

That's not what Moses said though.  He said "if you have 7 guys rushing you, and only 5 protectors, how many guys are rushing free?".  There were only 4 guys rushing to majority of the game, which leaves one OL free to block.  Instead of just standing there doing nothing post-snap, the OL has to be smart enough to move on to the next rusher when they realize the guy they're blocking isn't rushing.  Obviously, it's hard to say how much is on Haskins and how much is on the OL when it comes to the breakdown in protections, but given the way this OL has played all season with 3 different QB's at the helm, I'm not going to just automatically assign blame to Haskins.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Both Smith and Keenum were new to the offense though, so naturally there were going to be some growing pains.  Where Smith and Keenum have a leg up on Haskins is obviously just from NFL experience running an offense, but they all share not having that much time in 'this' offense.

I don't think the offensive line is that good at all, but a lot of what I've seen of Dwayne is just inexperience with what he's looking at, not calling the proper protections, not seeing the blitz, and kind of running right into sacks.  All that should serve as a learning experience for him.

And I think that the fact that his first two starts were against such good defenses should be taken into account. Its not about making excuses but Gregg is a really good DC and is historically known for bringing exotic blitzes. Its why we loved him here. Those defenses can be picked apart by the right QB but it takes time. 

I will say that (and Barber pointed it out in the broadcast) later in the game, I think on that last TD drive, Haskins seemed to be more baiting them into the blitz and attacking the blitzer, hitting the gap in coverage. He wasn't perfect but there was one replay (in the red zone) where they showed it and it was something to grow on. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's not what Moses said though.  He said "if you have 7 guys rushing you, and only 5 protectors, how many guys are rushing free?".  There were only 4 guys rushing to majority of the game, which leaves one OL free to block.  Instead of just standing there doing nothing post-snap, the OL has to be smart enough to move on to the next rusher when they realize the guy they're blocking isn't rushing.  Obviously, it's hard to say how much is on Haskins and how much is on the OL when it comes to the breakdown in protections, but given the way this OL has played all season with 3 different QB's at the helm, I'm not going to just automatically assign blame to Haskins.

I mean I get it. They play Manusky's defense to prepare who always brings exactly as many players as shown on the line, which is 3 or 4. Pretty unfair that the opponents dont stick to that during the game.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Conspiracy theory question. The line play among the holdovers (ie not flowers nor penn) have played absolutely awful ever since the whole Trent debacle. How much is that solidarity affecting their desire and level of play?

Not at all. They want to get paid, by this team or somewhere else. They aren't going to risk their careers for the sake of accomplishing something that doesn't accomplish anything.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Not at all. They want to get paid, by this team or somewhere else. They aren't going to risk their careers for the sake of accomplishing something that doesn't accomplish anything.

Agreed, particularly Brandon who has the most to lose or gain this season.

That said, I do believe there is an impact to losing the leader of your unit, who happens to be one of the best in the league.  

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If you call the wrong protection, then you could potentially leave a free rusher even if they only end up bringing 4.  It's basic overload concepts, you can't just move on to the next rusher if there's no one on your side to move on to.  You help where you can in that situation because that's the protection that was called.    So one side of the line may be thinking "wow this is a breeze no one is coming our way.  Let me twiddle my thumbs."  the other side of the line could be under extreme duress.  

I don't want to assign blame to anyone.  I didn't even watch the majority of the game so I don't have specific references or anything.  My assumption based on comments I'm reading by Morgan and just listening to it on the way to work today, is that everyone is botching it.  The clip by the way of Haskins begging his o-line is also pretty weird.  I've spent a lot of time on sidelines and never once heard anything like that.  There's a big difference between Tom Brady yelling at people to do their jobs and Haskins begging his o-linemen to block for him basically. 

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The O-line was particularly bad yesterday, no way around it. 

In most west coast offenses the qb sets the protections. In all likelihood that’s the case here. Since he’s obviously not capable or doing that currently, they need the center to set all the protections.  They did the same thing to Jason Campbell when he sucked at it too. 

I went into the game, knowing it would be a crapfest, but I am still excited to see the glimpses of how this offense can be with an interested O-line. Yesterday's performance was downright abysmal. Penn and Roulier were terribad, with some sacks where Penn looked like he just mailed it in. I would call them bench-worthy. Haskins had some down-right beautiful passes, even though he was pressing and holding the ball too long at times. I was very excited to see Guice run a bit. Kids got the size and surprising juke ability. Unsure why they were committed to the passing game from the start though. They seemed pass-heavy throughout the game. Very excited to see what this duo can accomplish with an interested O-line, and a year under their belt. Rookie receivers looked good as well. Getting separation and making tough catches. Color me hopeful with a head coach who will want to build on these guys.

Moses stinks and Brandon S has been playing like a guy who knows he will pull a Trent Williams if that's what it takes to get out of Washington. 90 percent of the team seems to have checked out. Add a interim HC that makes Gruden look like a HOF'er and I have no idea how anyone can judge Haskins. 

Archived