PCS

Welcome to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

So, Dianna Russini was just on 106.7--saying that Haskins was the only interview Snyder sat in on. The pick is Allen's ultimately--he'll listen to Gruden (who was heavliy involved in research and tape watching, so he was heavily involved) and scouts.

She spoke to several other teams looking for QBs--only Washington had him as the top QB. One coach called him a less athletic Josh Allen. So sounds like it was a Snyder pick and a lot of teams were down on him.

Just when I was warming up to Haskins...

Your own post suggests it wasn't really a Snyder pick more than it was a Snyder, Allen, Gruden  (and some other offensive assistants/scouts) pick.

"Several other teams looking for QB's" basically means we don't know whether or not a lot of teams were down on him or that only the Redskins had him as the top rated QB.

A week ago she was saying that there was a riff between coaches and Snyder was gonna make the pick. Hearing Jay, not only was that patently false, but if the HC, GM/pseudo gm or whatever the holy Hell Allen is/Owner agree on a pick, and he's the top rated pick on the board according to scouts, I really don't see the issue.

I think at best, she is working with incomplete info. Certainly not enough to form a concrete opinion over

• Like 2

Here is the bottom line. If Haskins busts, does it change the franchise? Does he make it any worse than it already is? The answer of course is no. So if he doesn’t work out, the Redskins are right where they are right now. 

But if Haskins does pan out, he has a chance to become the 1st franchise QB for the Redskins in 35 years. For this reason alone, we as fans should have hope. Things can only go up from here with Haskins.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Redskin4ever said:

Here is the bottom line. If Haskins busts, does it change the franchise? Does he make it any worse than it already is? The answer of course is no. So if he doesn’t work out, the Redskins are right where they are right now. 

But if Haskins does pan out, he has a chance to become the 1st franchise QB for the Redskins in 35 years. For this reason alone, we as fans should have hope. Things can only go up from here with Haskins.

This is it right here. Could they have taken anyone else at pick number 15 that COULD have a bigger impact on the teams future success? Not a chance. It cost them nothing to get Haskins except their 15th pick. It is a no lose situation.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF has been on this for awhile that Haskins and Bradford are similar.  I haven't really studied Bradford but he seems at least physically different than Haskins.  According to their metrics Haskins and Bradford's strengths and weaknesses apparently match up really well.  I am not arguing the point myself.  Just noticing PFF is pushing it and that tweet isn't their first push of it. 

Bradford was one of the most accurate prospects ever charted, and I think it's a compliment to Haskins to make that kind of comparison.  He's not quite as accurate as Bradford was, I think he has a tendency to throw short stuff too hard due to rushing the throw.

But I remember that Bradford didn't have the presnap duties that Haskins did.  He didn't call his protection changes or have the authority to make presnap changes to the play.  Oklahoma's coaches called them from the sidelines.  And I'm pretty sure he made half field reads.  That's a meaningful difference between him and Haskins.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is it right here. Could they have taken anyone else at pick number 15 that COULD have a bigger impact on the teams future success? Not a chance. It cost them nothing to get Haskins except their 15th pick. It is a no lose situation.

Exactly. 

Plus we got sweat too so essentially the cost to land haskins was two second rounders, let's say a rod gardner and a preston Smith. 

To have someone who has the potential to be a franchise quarterback is better than the potential that two second round picks represents.

And look at it this way if haskins completely stinks up the joint for the next two years we can grab Lawrence in 2021.

At least that plan gives us hope.

McCoy and keenum as one and two we may as well join a Sunday golf league in the fall.

• Like 3

I probably haven't posted in close to ten years, just wanted to let everyone know OSU games are airing on espnu right now. And I watch a lot of college football. All I need to say about this guy is " the bigger the game the bigger he plays" and that is something I haven't been able to say in a loooooonnnnnnggggggggg time. The rest I can live with.

• Like 6

Best case scenario: Haskins is a franchise QB and we're contenders for the next decade.

Worst case scenario: We end up sucking. Which is...basically where we are now. Ohh no we're 4-12 instead of 7-9, who cares?

• Like 2

One thing to consider here is the 2012 draft in which Luck was clearly the top prospect with RGIII right behind him.   The league has changed a bit from that point in that if both came out, EXACTLY as they were then this year, RGIII would have been ahead of Luck.   Why?   Because every team wants the miracle feet.   It should be understood Murray is no where close to the prospect in draft grade this year that RGIII was the year he came out.   Haskins is OBVIOUSLY no where near the draft prospect that Luck was.

But, if BOTH players stayed in school another year and got the benefit of more experience to augment their grade, two things would have happened.   First, NEITHER would be as highly graded as either Luck or Griffin STILL, but the gap would have closed a bit.   And, importantly, Haskins would have surpassed Murray as a prospect in overall grade.   This all assumes both played great again with no major injury or slip.

This can be said because none of Murray's major negatives would be solved with more time playing.   If you read over his negatives list, the big ones aren't really as tied to his game experience as they are with Haskins.   They are tied to his size and play style and mechanics.   Haskins' major negatives are his inexperience with a sprinkle of being slow.   He's slow.   It's the total lack of athleticism with Haskins that would keep him from ever being a prospect like Luck, who was a good athlete too, regardless of game experience.   And it's the simple size problem that would keep Murray from RGIII heights, even as the NFL adjusts to players smaller at that position who are athletes.

It is almost a do-over from the 2012 draft though in which we weren't given the choice between the best two QBs in the draft, and in 2012 picked Griffin where we probably would have picked Luck.   Here we picked Haskins and I do not perceive we would have picked Murray if we could have taken either given their draft grades were so close and Haskins has more upside with seasoning his game than Murray to the point Haskins would have remained the No. 2 QB in next year's draft, behind Tua, with Murray slipping.   This time we got "Luck" which is to say the more traditional pocket passer.

Which I remain fine with even as the league is undergoing a change here.   Until those mobile QBs start winning Super Bowls, the big pocket passer remains king.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bradford was one of the most accurate prospects ever charted, and I think it's a compliment to Haskins to make that kind of comparison.  He's not quite as accurate as Bradford was, I think he has a tendency to throw short stuff too hard due to rushing the throw.

But I remember that Bradford didn't have the presnap duties that Haskins did.  He didn't call his protection changes or have the authority to make presnap changes to the play.  Oklahoma's coaches called them from the sidelines.  And I'm pretty sure he made half field reads.  That's a meaningful difference between him and Haskins.

OK.  Thanks.  Good stuff.   Among the Haskins people, I respect you the most because you really put in the time studying him. 

My concern with Haskins is movement in the pocket, footwork, etc.  I don't have a big issue that some do about he benefitted a lot from YAC.  But just one concern about that leading into this season.  The short crossing routs, digs, slants, mesh concepts lend to having receivers who can do YAC.  Do we have those guys now?  Doctson is not a YAC guy.  I guess Richardson and Quinn potentially can be.  McLaurin more of a deep threat.  Maybe Harmon even though he doesn't have great speed -- regardless, he can move in the open field and create some YAC with physicality.

Me listing this below isn't to slam Haskins.  I know Haskins has the arm to sling it.  But if they are going to model the system off of Ohio State, they can use some YAC type playmakers. 

DWAYNE HASKINS

Noticeably on this list above, Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins averages a depth of target of just 7.9 yards past the line of scrimmage, the second-lowest in the conference. This, of course, has led to the fact that 54.8% of his passing yards have come after the catch this season. Of all 14 Big Ten quarterbacks with at least 90 dropbacks in 2018, Haskins has targeted passes short of the first-down markers the most, throwing a pass short of the line to gain on 61.6% of his passes.

Obviously, Haskins’ 25 touchdowns lead the conference as the next closest, Peyton Ramsey, only has 11, but Haskins’ supporting cast has been doing a large amount of the work for him, a larger amount than most in the conference. He has only nine big-time throws despite his large number of touchdowns (big-time throws are the highest-graded throws in the PFF grading system). 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-breaking-down-the-big-ten-quarterbacks-after-week-6

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Now tbh, I am NOT one of the board mavens that lives and breathes this stuff daily and I have no illusions about my knowledge of the subject, which is why I read here and elsewhere to try and get up to speed and understand, but I simply do not get a lot of the criticisms flying around. I think I have watched every available video of Haskins, including his HS play, and I am seeing some consistently impressive attributes from this kid. He is constantly looking downfield, quickly reading the plays as they develop and looking for his shot, and when he does he acts! I am likin' the smooth, quick, compact release he has, he puts it where he wants,not just lobbin' it up for a WR to make a play on. His passes look consistently deliberate, nice spiral, nice touch, I've seen him rifle it in there and drop it right over a defender. To me he seems intent on the pass downfield, he moves laterally, aware of the LOS and backside pressure but looking for a receiver. He's decisive.

I'm not sure how much I like his release until I see it in the NFL, but I do know his release isn't anywhere near as slow or as janky as Byron Leftwich.  No idea how that comparison keeps getting tossed around.  The throwing motions are not similar.

I get the downsides.  His scheme was limited at OSU, but he executed the limited scheme about as well as possible.  He has plays and concepts he's comfortable with, but he'll have to drastically broaden his playbook.  There were times where OSU had one concept on repeat for a good chunk of the game because the defense couldn't stop it.  There's going to need to be far more wrinkles and adjustments in each play than he's accustomed.  That said, he appears to have a great work ethic and likes drilling concepts over and over until he's satisfied.

I do worry that Gruden will try and install everything at once, like he did with Alex Smith.  Haskins will need a slow broadening of the playbook with how he likes to operate.  Instead of drilling a play 3 or 4 times like Gruden wants, Haskins would prefer to drill it 30 or 40.  I get that with CBA restrictions, it's hard for Gruden to get all of the concepts in with the little coach/player on-field time allotted, but for this Coach/QB marriage to work, Gruden probably has to adjust more than he's comfortable with.

P.S.  I feel like if he stayed in college for another year, everybody would be talking about how they wished Haskins had entered the draft this year.  People were saying that in regards to Justin Herbert, but Herbert's overall skillset isn't as good as Haskins.  It's just that Herbert operates better off script and throws well on the move.  If Haskins had stayed in school, I think he'd be ahead of Herbert in the far-too-early-2020-mocks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Its not a bad piece really. Its actually fair. But this is why I say yall do it to yourselves. These people write this stuff to get clicks. Thats why you see things that the fans complain about that really shouldn't matter used to get clicks. Like the "you dont messed up" quote. It literally has nothing to do with the (good) information she put in there, but she started with it and went back to it because you people are rubes and fall for it every time. Same thing they do with the Snyder stuff. Makes it real easy to act like you know whats going on when the fan base tells you what they want you to write. 

And when I say you people I just mean Redskins fans in general not anyone in particular. I dont want no problems lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

"We...ourselves"?  You are a Giants fan, so why bother with this breakdown?  You have a vested interest elsewhere and perhaps a prejudiced view regarding him.  Personally, I certainly like Haskins, and especially where he was picked, better than Mr. Jones.  Hail

Not a Giants fan.  My family is from NY and are Giants fans so I don't hate the Giants, and do have a place in my heart for them but when push comes to shove, HTTR.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

eably on this list above, Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins averages a depth of target of just 7.9 yards past the line of scrimmage, the second-lowest in the conference. This, of course, has led to the fact that 54.8% of his passing yards have come after the catch this season. Of all 14 Big Ten quarterbacks with at least 90 dropbacks in 2018, Haskins has targeted passes short of the first-down markers the most, throwing a pass short of the line to gain on 61.6% of his passes.

Obviously, Haskins’ 25 touchdowns lead the conference as the next closest, Peyton Ramsey, only has 11, but Haskins’ supporting cast has been doing a large amount of the work for him, a larger amount than most in the conference. He has only nine big-time throws despite his large number of touchdowns (big-time throws are the highest-graded throws in the PFF grading system). 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-breaking-down-the-big-ten-quarterbacks-after-week-6

In fairness to Haskins. That quote is from week 6 of the season. Haskins played better and better as the season went along. He played his best football at the biggest times. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness to Haskins. That quote is from week 6 of the season. Haskins played better and better as the season went along. He played his best football at the biggest times. 

Also an accurate throw short of the sticks that leads your WR to the open field is not a negative. I dont care what anyone says. And that is what he was taught to do. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Help me out here.

Most half field reads (or all?) are generally zone/read decisions.  Then choose the side with the zone beaters or the man beaters.  If I recall, that was a big part of Kirk Cousins decision making here.

So how do we know that Haskins does full field reads?  What's different from half to full?  Example, Haskins likes to do formation vs formation coverage matchups.  So it's trips to one side, Haskins puts somebody in motion to identify man/zone, if man, then based on alignment DB 1 has the inside breaking route, DB 2 has the outside breaking route, and DB3 has the first vertical route.  Then he makes a quick decision based on whose likely caught in traffic, etc.

Would that be a half field read?  What's an example of a full field read?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

And I find this to be another intriguing piece of the puzzle. The kid visibly grew during the season, when you ccomapre early games to the bowl run you can see him doing more, and doing it well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Help me out here.

Most half field reads (or all?) are generally zone/read decisions.  Then choose the side with the zone beaters or the man beaters.  If I recall, that was a big part of Kirk Cousins decision making here.

So how do we know that Haskins does full field reads?  What's different from half to full?  Example, Haskins likes to do formation vs formation coverage matchups.  So it's trips to one side, Haskins puts somebody in motion to identify man/zone, if man, then based on alignment DB 1 has the inside breaking route, DB 2 has the outside breaking route, and DB3 has the first vertical route.  Then he makes a quick decision based on whose likely caught in traffic, etc.

Would that be a half field read?  What's an example of a full field read?

I had a clip of his coach saying he did full reads and protections. If I find it ill post. 

Thats all I got tho

On 4/26/2019 at 7:23 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

This kid is a beast.  We are unbelievably lucky to get him, especially at 15.  We have a chance at long term prosperity now.

Welcome to the Redskins Dwayne, we are happy to have you.

I was searching this thread for your input. I respect your insight and I'm glad you're glad.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me listing this below isn't to slam Haskins.  I know Haskins has the arm to sling it.  But if they are going to model the system off of Ohio State, they can use some YAC type playmakers. 

DWAYNE HASKINS

Noticeably on this list above, Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins averages a depth of target of just 7.9 yards past the line of scrimmage, the second-lowest in the conference. This, of course, has led to the fact that 54.8% of his passing yards have come after the catch this season. Of all 14 Big Ten quarterbacks with at least 90 dropbacks in 2018, Haskins has targeted passes short of the first-down markers the most, throwing a pass short of the line to gain on 61.6% of his passes.

You're definitely right that we need more YAC play-makers to maximize Haskins' potential, but I imagine that's the case for the majority of NFL QBs.

If you look at Average Intended Air Yards throughout the league on Next Gen Stats, some notable QB's that were bottom 20 (out of 39) last year in AIAY were:

-Matt Stafford - 7 yards

-Cam Newton - 7.1 yards

-Drew Brees - 7.1 yards

-Kirk Cousins - 7.4 yards

-Andrew Luck - 7.6 yards

-Dak Prescott - 7.6 yards

-Tom Brady - 7.6 yards

-Big Ben - 7.7 yards

-Carson Wentz - 7.8 yards

-Alex Smith was at 8.1 yards, for reference.

A lot of top QBs in the league depend on guys getting YAC to boost their own stats, so not sure why that has been made out to be such a knock on Haskins throughout this draft process (not saying you are doing that).

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Best case scenario: Haskins is a franchise QB and we're contenders for the next decade.

Worst case scenario: We end up sucking. Which is...basically where we are now. Ohh no we're 4-12 instead of 7-9, who cares?

This is my line of thinking.  1 pick in the middle of round 1 is not the farm, ergo I am willing to take this ride.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You're definitely right that we need more YAC play-makers to maximize Haskins' potential, but I imagine that's the case for the majority of NFL QBs.

I'm not even sure that's right. When you had that much YAC potential at Ohio State, the smart football play is to let those guys do their thing. It was also likely what his coaches wanted him to do. But when you watch film, you see he progresses through deep routes fairly quickly. And when he throws one, it's usually a pretty damn good ball. 

We'll see, but even after watching him pre-draft, and watching him post draft, I'm more intrigued with him now than ever.

Been watching more of Jones, too, and I think he's better than I originally thought. Though not what I think Haskins could be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blue Ridger said:

Not a Giants fan.  My family is from NY and are Giants fans so I don't hate the Giants, and do have a place in my heart for them but when push comes to shove, HTTR.

Apologies in that case.  Your profile said you were a fan of the Giants.  Hail

2 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Apologies in that case.  Your profile said you were a fan of the Giants.  Hail

Yeah I misread it thinking it said if you weren't a fan of the redskins who would be your team or whatever. And apparently there's no way to edit it. 

Again I don't have hate for the Giants. I think they actually drafted better than the media portrays. F the Cowboys and Eagles though.

• Like 1