Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, wrecker said:

This says it all. Haskins= JAG. Hope we can do a Rossen (sp?) move for the draft next year. If not, we will be in purgatory for the foreseeable future.

It's kind of silly to say that after his very first NFL start. Rosen started almost an entire NFL season so they had plenty of tape on him and his progress. He was also a far more pro-ready QB right out of the gate than Haskins. 

That tweet you quoted was saying that Haskins, in his very first start in the NFL as a raw rookie, didn't do any worse than mediocre vets Keenum and McCoy. That's not a bad thing for a young kid like that. He needs to start the rest of the season so we can see how he progresses before we even start making any sort of pronouncements about him.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No matter how you feel about Haskins, you can't love that people are tweeting defense of him as "not any worse than McCoy/Keenum".

Not a great tweet.

I didn't really see it as a bad tweet. They're saying that a very raw rookie QB starting his first NFL game looked pretty much the same as a couple of mediocre vets with many years of NFL play under their belts. Is it as good as "He looked like Brady out there?" Obviously not. But none of us were expecting that. 

Yeah it doesn't sound great, but I get the sentiment and agree with the tweet that, with that being the case, there's absolutely zero reason to not start Haskins the rest of the season to see how he improves.

Just now, MartinC said:

I read it. My feelings (good/bad) re Haskins are not guided by someone’s else’s false equivalence.

Setting that aside what did you see today?

Exact same thing we saw in college. Is that good or bad? Not sure. But he ran the same things today that he did in college. The team is saying its due to weather, but I have a feeling that was the plan. Weather creates an easy reason for it.

I'm not down on it as a starting point for him. He made better decisions today than I've seen as they did the stuff he's good at and used to. He holds the ball too long. I hate... HATE... how he throws the ball on the run while jumping. But I loved how he threw that strike to McLaurin on the sideline with pressure directly in his face. Stood there and delivered a strike.

I'm not sure he works out still. Mechanics are still all over the place. But I was MUCH happier with decision making and think it was a positive stride for him. Which is better than what we've seen with him. Next step is his next start. Hopefully they start compounding on each other.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

there's absolutely zero reason to not start Haskins the rest of the season to see how he improves.

This was already the case (pardon the pun), though :)

1. The fact that he looked no worse than Keenum/McCoy once he finally got a week of practice means he should have been the starter a while ago. I mean we were losing games and putting up crapfest offensive outputs every week either way. Imagine how much farther along Haskins would have been.

Once again, the organization's inability to think outside the box or have any sort of foresight or critical thinking cripples them.

The outside the number throws are intriguing when thinking about play design versatility. The throws to Richardson a few times appeared mundane and effortless for Haskins, the arm strength was present and not ordinary for many starters in the league.

Not overall enthused with the performance, but it’s week 1 in the Haskins season. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mechanics are still all over the place.

Agreed. Too often his feet are not in synch with his eyes. Drops his elbow a lot throwing as well. The first thing there might be easier to fix than the second.

That said he made some good, NFL type outside the number throws today, in rhythm. He absolutely has a good NFL arm.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But I was MUCH happier with decision making and think it was a positive stride for him. Which is better than what we've seen with him. Next step is his next start. Hopefully they start compounding on each other.

I was very encouraged by his decision making. He also got us in and out of the huddle and seemed to be in command at the LOS. To many that might seem like a small thing but it’s foundational. Once he is not thinking about that so much it helps the game slow down for him.

Not ordering a gold jacket just yet - but something to build on. Now can we see progress?

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No matter how you feel about Haskins, you can't love that people are tweeting defense of him as "not any worse than McCoy/Keenum".

Not a great tweet.

I think though the context on that is squarely on having Callahan start Haskins moving forward.  Callahan won't name Haskins the starter for the Jets game, yet.  And he has said multiple times Keenum is the guy if he's healthy.  So people (me, too) are hoping Callahan gets off that horse.  There is an upside to playing Haskins, I don't see what we have to gain by seeing more Keenum. 

I got my share of doubts about Haskins.  But i believe the dude deserves to play and try to work through his ups and downs. 

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The outside the number throws are intriguing when thinking about play design versatility. The throws to Richardson a few times appeared mundane and effortless for Haskins, the arm strength was present and not ordinary for many starters in the league.

Not overall enthused with the performance, but it’s week 1 in the Haskins season. 

In the 5 practices I watched him in camp.  His weaknesses were he'd sail some of his passes inside the numbers high (similar to the INT he threw last week) and he'd under throw some of the out route type of throws.  His consistency was much better in between the numbers than outside the numbers.  He can throw dimes on digs, shallow crosses, slants, etc.  

I have to rewatch the game because sometimes my perceptions change when I do.   But watching this game, he looked improved over the practices I watched.  He actually was somewhat inaccurate in the practices I watched with the short out routes where he'd throw the ball often behind the receiver.  He seemed good on that front, today.  But mainly I liked his composure.  I wanted him to bounce back today where he looked at least competent and in my book he did. 

Personally I think its a big deal what type of defenses a QB faces.  The Bills have a really good defense and it was a windy day.  Within that context, I think he performed admirably.  On the same token, the dude deserves to be able to build on it and face a mediocre defense like the Jets IMO.   

Redskins interim coach Bill Callahan said he doesn't know yet if Dwayne Haskins will start at quarterback after the bye week. Callahan said he felt Haskins managed the game well but he wants him to work on being better with third down pass protections. Overall, Callahan said Haskins' reads were clean.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer4h ago

7 minutes ago, profusion said:

It would be so dumb to keep Haskins on the bench any longer that I fully expect Case to be starting two weeks from now.

I will say this . The Redskins have been very strict with concussions this year. With Reed, Davis, and now possibly Case I can see this thing lingering for a while. Unfortunately I don't want Haskins looking over his shoulder all year thinking that after his next mistake he'll be benched. But I do see Case staying out for a while, especially while the offense looks OK with Haskins

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I will say this . The Redskins have been very strict with concussions this year. With Reed, Davis, and now possibly Case I can see this thing lingering for a while. Unfortunately I don't want Haskins looking over his shoulder all year thinking that after his next mistake he'll be benched. But I do see Case staying out for a while, especially while the offense looks OK with Haskins

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Haskins has an okay base to build off of. But the offense looked like rabid dog piss. That's both a Haskins (read: quarterback) issue and an everyone on the roster and coaching staff issue.

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not a great tweet.

Not a great tweet, absolutely... but the overall point is apt - that Haskins should be playing going forward (not that you are saying otherwise).  

Sidenote:  I had mentioned earlier this week that we should be running a lot more screens and I’m glad they listened 😉
Team has to avoid getting behind the sticks as best they can - opponents are going to blitz the heck out of this kid until it’s proven unwise to do so.  Call tons of quick plays (in addition to screens and moving the pocket) and then sprinkle in the deeper drops when it makes sense.  

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Haskins has an okay base to build off of. But the offense looked like rabid dog piss. That's both a Haskins (read: quarterback) issue and an everyone on the roster and coaching staff issue.

thats where you and I disagree. Both last week and this week, I saw a lot of things I liked in the offense. In an Alex Smith story, it was ugly football. But there were long drives and they were protecting their QB and not making mistakes. Its not glamorous, but its something to build off. The red zone problems need to be addressed, but when you're missing your #1 TE) Reed, #2 TE) Davis, #2 RB) Thompson, who also happen to be the top choices on the offense outside of TMac, it becomes a hard thing to expect the offense to be dominant. 

As for Haskins I thought he did a good job moving the ball and leading us on scoring drives. We need to just do a better job of getting 7s instead of 3s. BTW, if RIchardson catches that fade route (or if they threw it to Harmon) we're not having this discussion because it looks a lot better of a day.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think though the context on that is squarely on having Callahan start Haskins moving forward.  Callahan won't name Haskins the starter for the Jets game, yet.  And he has said multiple times Keenum is the guy if he's healthy.  So people (me, too) are hoping Callahan gets off that horse.  Their is an upside to playing Haskins, I don't see what we have to gain by seeing more Keenum. 

I got my share of doubts about Haskins.  But i believe the dude deserves to play and try to work through his ups and downs. 

You’d think if the organization is run like many report and believe, Haskins would’ve been starting weeks ago, as he’s reportedly Dans guy. 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In the 5 practices I watched him in camp.  His weaknesses were he'd sail some of his passes inside the numbers high (similar to the INT he threw last week) and he'd under throw some of the out route type of throws.  His consistency was much better in between the numbers than outside the numbers.  He can throw dimes on digs, shallow crosses, slants, etc.  

I remember you saying this then and done so a few other times. Hopefully improvements have been made, as you’d think his arm strength would assist with these type of throws. I also wonder what the spectrum is for making throws outside the numbers 7-15 yard down field: is 50% good? I have no clue. I know you can watch games and not see these type of throws made. 

I have to rewatch the game because sometimes my perceptions change when I do.   But watching this game, he looked improved over the practices I watched.  He actually was somewhat inaccurate in the practices I watched with the short out routes where he'd throw the ball often behind the receiver.  He seemed good on that front, today.  But mainly I liked his composure.  I wanted him to bounce back today where he looked at least competent and in my book he did.

Im with you, there was a increased level of professionalism on his part; looked prepared. Something to build on. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts more after rewatching. 

Personally I think its a big deal what type of defenses a QB faces.  The Bills have a really good defense and it was a windy day.  Within that context, I think he performed admirably.  On the same token, the dude deserves to be able to build on it and face a mediocre defense like the Jets IMO.   

Great point. Context will be critical throughout his maturation process to finish this year. Hope the defense hangs in there to finish year and continues to compete or it could get ugly for Haskins in some games. For example, this game could’ve gotten out of hand, impacting Haskins overall psyche or force plays, due to circumstances. 

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

thats where you and I disagree. Both last week and this week, I saw a lot of things I liked in the offense. In an Alex Smith story, it was ugly football. But there were long drives and they were protecting their QB and not making mistakes. Its not glamorous, but its something to build off. The red zone problems need to be addressed, but when you're missing your #1 TE) Reed, #2 TE) Davis, #2 RB) Thompson, who also happen to be the top choices on the offense outside of TMac, it becomes a hard thing to expect the offense to be dominant. 

As for Haskins I thought he did a good job moving the ball and leading us on scoring drives. We need to just do a better job of getting 7s instead of 3s. BTW, if RIchardson catches that fade route (or if they threw it to Harmon) we're not having this discussion because it looks a lot better of a day.

Relying on injury prone players is an issue. And one that will exist until it doesn't. You didn't really counter anything I've said, to be honest. The offense is dog ****. We ran the ball a little in the first half. But we haven't scored in 3 games.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Relying on injury prone players is an issue. And one that will exist until it doesn't. You didn't really counter anything I've said, to be honest. The offense is dog ****. We ran the ball a little in the first half. But we haven't scored in 3 games.

Defense is pretty bad as well every team seems to be able move up and down the field with ease unless its monsooning the entire game

Archived