Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

This team is so ****ing stupid. At least when Arizona drafted Rosen, they tried to keep his value as high as possible “just in case” he needed to be traded.

Meanwhile, this clown show is publicly putting it out there that he isn’t ready. Lordy.

59 minutes ago, RememberOsaka said:

I'm pretty sure that a Haskins led offense could have put up at least ZERO points in that weather. 

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah if the coaches have no faith in Dwayne's ability to hand the ball off 30 times and throw a handful of dump off passes then that is really bad news. 

Well, I got some news for you.

They aren’t playing him for a reason. And it’s not “just because”

Yes, Jerry Brewer nails it. If Dan thinks he can hide Haskins all year in hopes that people will buy into him leading this franchise he's crazy.  The team stinks and when teams stink and draft a rookie in the 1st round they eventually play, when they don't its an indictment on the team that drafted him and the player.

If we have a top 5 pick and Haskins isnt "it" then you don't compound one bad mistake by ignoring the first one and passing on a potential all-world talent.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Yes, Jerry Brewer nails it. If Dan thinks he can hide Haskins all year in hopes that people will buy into him leading this franchise he's crazy.  The team stinks and when teams stink and draft a rookie in the 1st round they eventually play, when they don't its an indictment on the team that drafted him and the player.

If we have a top 5 pick and Haskins isnt "it" then you don't compound one bad mistake by ignoring the first one and passing on a potential all-world talent.

We aren't getting Tua unless we have the #1 pick, which we are extremely unlikely to have (that's assuming he's who you're talking about). So we should probably get that out of our heads. Barring major injury or some insane scandal, Tua is going to be the #1 overall pick. We'll definitely be top 5, but that will be 4 picks away from landing him and none of the potential #1 overall pick holders (likely Phins or Bengals) are going to pass him up.

And I think there's a drop off after Tua. Herbert IMO is overrated and not worth a top 5 pick (though he's likely to go that high) and Fromm has disappointed this year so far. There are a couple of dark horse candidates though who are having stellar seasons and could end up rocketing up the boards: Joe Burrow is one I can think of.

The question then is whether a guy like Herbert or Burrow or whoever is enough of a better prospect than Haskins that it's worth giving up on DH this soon and after having seen so little of him and using your top 5 pick on one of them when you'll likely have some absolute sure-fire studs at a few other positions there in a super deep draft. Passing on a Jerry Jeudy, Chase Young, or Jeff Okudah would be tough unless you were completely and utterly convinced that not only was DH not going to get any better but that Herbert or whoever was almost a sure bet to be a franchise QB.

I know the word "bust" is poison in this thread but...... The team is 1-5. Case Keenum and Colt McCoy are our injured QBs, and they still get starts. Gardner ****ing Minshew is starting for the Jags, the Steelers have some dude who went undrafted starting. Both are winning, and Haskins can't fight his way through a paper bag to get the starting job. I know it's all about Haskins is supposed to have a huge ceiling and is a project, but damn. If he can't get to ground level, I have a hard time expecting the ceiling.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I know the word "bust" is poison in this thread but...... The team is 1-5. Case Keenum and Colt McCoy are our injured QBs, and they still get starts. Gardner ****ing Minshew is starting for the Jags, the Steelers have some dude who went undrafted starting. Both are winning, and Haskins can't fight his way through a paper bag to get the starting job. I know it's all about Haskins is supposed to have a huge ceiling and is a project, but damn. If he can't get to ground level, I have a hard time expecting the ceiling.

The organization is just inept. You can run a streamlined playbook. The NFL is a passing league, its not that hard for young QBs to come in and at contribute something.

But yeah lets piss away with 77 yards passing Case Keenum...lolol

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

The organization is just inept. You can run a streamlined playbook. The NFL is a passing league, its not that hard for young QBs to come in and at contribute something.

I want to blame the organization for him not starting, but he's now had 2 coaches in his rookie season who have locked him in the freezer without a second thought. If someone told me at preseason that our 3 man QB competition would come to this, I would not have believed him.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm guessing it's a combination of Haskins still having issues with his mechanics, decision making, or the playbook (or a bit of all of them), and us having a completely inept organization.

It doesn't help that from the moment he was drafted, Haskins had a HC who likely was more or less uninterested in developing him at all. And now he has an interim HC who's also unlikely to be here next year if they bring in a new HC and who is known to be super conservative. 

It's just a **** sandwich of a situation from pretty much any angle. 

I mean we started Josh Johnson who was sitting on the couch for like 3 years last year and he didn't look like complete butt. You're telling me we can't do the same with Haskins? Come on man.

And I don't really respect Callahan as a coach either. Dude runs an NFL gameplan like its the 50s. He focuses too much on rushing attempts and completion %. We put up 77 yards passing and 0 points, GTFOH.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean we started Josh Johnson who was sitting on the couch for like 3 years last year and he didn't look like complete butt. You're telling me we can't do the same with Haskins? Come on man.

And I don't really respect Callahan as a coach either. Dude runs an NFL gameplan like its the 50s. He focuses too much on rushing attempts and completion %. We put up 77 yards passing and 0 points, GTFOH.

I think that's one of the issues. Callahan is an old school coach who wants to run the ball a ton and have a QB who is experienced, can manage the game, and won't turn the ball over much. He's like a far less accomplished and talented Joe Gibbs. Haskins is a young raw prospect with huge arm talent and who is a bit of a gunslinger. Those two things simply don't mesh. 

That's not necessarily to say that I think Haskins is fully ready to start, and doesn't have some things he has to improve on a decent amount (he does). But I think for a coach like Callahan the threshold for "ready to start" is going to be much higher than for a more new school, flexible, and aggressive coach. 

17 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

The guy was a one year wonder. He’s not going to be our QB of the future. Joe Burrow will be a much better QB in the NFL. Thanks Urban and Ohio St. 

I mean he literally only played one year so you can't say he's a one year wonder. Its not like he stunk for 2-3 years then broke out.

And its not like LSU has much of a track record with NFL QBs either. If I'm giving up on Haskins its for a slam dunk prospect like Tua and nothing short of that.

25 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

The guy was a one year wonder. He’s not going to be our QB of the future. Joe Burrow will be a much better QB in the NFL. Thanks Urban and Ohio St. 

Yeah, great idea, let’s dump Haskins after one year and draft the guy that Haskins beat out at Ohio State. 

21 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I actually like Joe Burrow, but he's technically also a one year wonder. Last season he didn't do much...had 16 TDs and 5 INTs. So far this year he's absolutely killing it and IMO is playing as well as Tua with a lesser supporting cast. Now, to be fair, some of that I think had to do with LSU adjusting its offense to be more modern and pass oriented. They used to be pretty much a pure 21 personnel running team but that has changed over the last year or two. 

...What does that accomplish? What is the point of lining up Peterson in the I formation and pounding the rock while Keenum flails and Haskins watches?

With the caveat that a victory Sunday would have placed them only two games out of first place in the underwhelming NFC East, Washington’s season is dead. They can use these games to find and develop players who could be useful in coming years. On this roster, that means promising young receivers and Haskins. It means giving offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell, viewed internally as an up-and-comer, a chance to call plays unencumbered by offensive thinking out of step with basic modern tenets.

To be fair, Sunday presented Callahan with challenging conditions. Playing Haskins against San Francisco’s fearsome pass rush in the slop would have amounted to sabotage. The cold rain and wind forced Callahan to run even more than he wanted to.

“The conditions played into the decision to run the ball a little bit more and be more controlled in the pass and limit the pass attempts,” Callahan said. “That was more for field conditions and weather conditions. We wanted some more attempts.”

That’s fair. The problem is, Callahan does not seem intent on playing Haskins. Callahan gave Haskins more practice reps in his first week, and this week, with Keenum nursing a foot injury, Haskins took the majority of first-team snaps. That is a good first step. But it would be a mistake not to give Haskins game experience and learn more about what exactly they have in him. Callahan seems to be leaning toward making that mistake.

“Dwayne’s still learning,” Callahan said. “I think he’d be the first one to tell you that. We still have faith in Case and his ability to manage this offense and run this offense. We’re moving forward with Case at this juncture.”

In discussing Haskins, Callahan struck the same notes as Gruden. It’s past time to let Haskins prove, on the field, whether he is ready or not. Maybe it would be irresponsible to give Haskins his first start Thursday night on the road, after a short and against Kirk Cousins, the quarterback Washington let walk in free agency and somebody natural to measure Haskins against. Fine. Washington’s next game is at Buffalo nine days later. Callahan should use those extra days to focus on preparing Haskins to make his first NFL start.

So far, Callahan’s tenure feels a lot like Gruden’s tenure. Washington barely beat Miami, the worst team the NFL has seen in recent memory. Sunday, it scored no points in dismal conditions. He has a fullback and he gives the ball to Peterson a lot. As far as the direction of the franchise, nothing has changed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-redskins-fired-their-coach-but-didnt-fix-his-biggest-problem/2019/10/20/09ac73c2-f36c-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

Our next coach will be a Haskins guy and he will start on opening day next year.   It isn't surprising that he is not as fluid in the pre snap process as guys that have been in the league for years or that a coach that knew he was about to get fired and a coach that just wants a QB to manage the game don't want to play a rookie.  In my completely untrained eye, I watched Haskins continually get better every game at Ohio State.  He improved from game to game in this pre season this year.  I still believe if coached effectively and played he will be a very good NFL QB.  I hope our "outstanding culture" doesn't stunt his progression.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

The question then is whether a guy like Herbert or Burrow or whoever is enough of a better prospect than Haskins that it's worth giving up on DH this soon

That's the question and you're probably right with that breakdown of where we fall but you never know, what we perceive will happen the rest of the year is not always what actually happens.  I don't see us winning another game but who knows.  The Dolphins are much more competitive with Fitz and 4 of the Bengals 7 losses have been by 6 points or less so they are also competitive.

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Anyone whose not worried about this haskins situation is delusional, and if you are pointing to Rodgers and Mahomes you are foolish this is not the same we have a sub par bum ahead of haskins not a stable NFL veteran.... 

this is incorrect.  I'm not "worried about the haskins situation" and I'm not "delusional" either.  Because I know Haskins is no good, knew that before he was drafted so there's nothing for me to worry about at this point.  the owner playing the role of GM made a mistake.  that doesnt worry me.  thats what I EXPECT from observing this franchise for the past 20 years.

1 hour ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

this is incorrect.  I'm not "worried about the haskins situation" and I'm not "delusional" either.  Because I know Haskins is no good, knew that before he was drafted so there's nothing for me to worry about at this point.  the owner playing the role of GM made a mistake.  that doesnt worry me.  thats what I EXPECT from observing this franchise for the past 20 years.

Bingo...Danny picked Haskins, there is obviously a big problem with Haskins. At the least he was over drafted but seeing these other nobodies playing makes me think Haskins is already a bust. I dont know if it is work ethic, intelligence, skill, or what, but the fact this offense has been pathetic and combined with Case looking like arse in the last 4 games he played and the team has won 1 game tells anybody with common sense something is very..very wrong!

On side note..can you imagine little Danny Snider who looks like he never played competitive game of yard darts much less a real sport is telling real NFL scouts who to pick. What a punk!

Archived