Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

8 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

You just proved every single point I made about a fanbase ready to piss on everything. And then to top it off... you want him to learn from playing while assuming he is dumb, mentally soft, unstable, and likely to throw 5 ints a game or more. Haha. How obtuse

Not being able to play after your picked mid 1st round tells me that maybe the FO "messed up."  And I say maybe because something is not right in his game or the egotistical Danny would be parading him out there and taking credit.   I sure as hell want him on the field for at least six or seven games so we know what we have in him before the draft.  

There is some good analysis in this thread regarding his game thus far and some of it is concerning.  Yeah he has a great arm, but he also doesn't read the field very well. Some pointed out that he made many of the same mistakes in the Giants game that he did during preseason action.  

Hey Josh Norman said right to Rich Eisen, last week I think it was,  that Haskins is not progressing as quickly as others who enter the NFL do. He said it very of matter fact like.  That is not a ringing endorsement and Norman was doing a lot IMO to downplay it while "supporting" the FO,  in other words kissing up...but I digress.... The main point being that Haskins is not good enough.  

And of course fans are fed up.  This is a dumpster fire.  What do you suggest the fanbase reaction be? I mean what have they gotten right in the past 20 years when it comes to personnel at key positions, particularly QB. The elusive franchise QB.

What they need to do, is IF he is "mentally soft" or not smart enough, but I am sure that is NOT his problem.  But regardless they have to get some plays together and give him a damn wrist band, like a lot of QB's have, and put his ass out there after the bye.  

I can't speak for anyone else BUT do we really have to go through this next year if this guy is just not the one?   

News Alert 🚨 

Bad teams stay bad because they have trouble hitting on their draft picks. If you pick a QB at 15, it’s a bad sign when that QB can’t start and even worse when he is supposedly years away from starting. This is amplified given how bad we are. If he can’t beat out Case and Colt, that is especially bad.

20 minutes ago, dyst said:

News Alert 🚨 

Bad teams stay bad because they have trouble hitting on their draft picks. If you pick a QB at 15, it’s a bad sign when that QB can’t start and even worse when he is supposedly years away from starting. This is amplified given how bad we are. If he can’t beat out Case and Colt, that is especially bad.

New England has a hard time hitting on their draft picks.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

You know that is very true.  New England under Bill Belichick tend to "lose" in free agency too.  They start very slow in the FA department, and yet every year they find a way to to compete for a Super Bowl don't they?  They rarely, if ever sign a big buck flashy player.  Not saying the wouldn't but if you look at their history it is very, very rare.

2 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

You know that is very true.  New England under Bill Belichick tend to "lose" in free agency.  They start very slow in the FA department, and yet every year they find a way to to compete for a Super Bowl don't they?  They rarely, if ever sign a big buck flashy player.  Not saying the wouldn't but if you look at their history it is very, very rare.

NE takes chances on high talent at the end of round 1, like Easely & Brown & they consider the cheap financial investment worth it. They trade late picks for guys that they know can play in the nfl. They let guys go a year too early rather than a year too late. They rarely make anyone the highest paid at their position, because it’s stupid to have the highest paid player at any position unless it’s a very short term deal. 

They don’t throw deep a lot because they don’t want the clock to stop & don’t want their QB hit; the shorter the game, the fewer variables in game, & with injury. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Wilfork, Bruschi, Vinateri, McCourty, Logan Mankins, Ty Law, Matt Light, McGinest, Curtis Martin, Lawyer Millow, Hightower.

Those are just a few a I remember during this run of theirs. It’s not even close IMO. Not only do they draft better but they also develop better.

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Wilfork, Bruschi, Vinateri, McCourty, Logan Mankins, Ty Law, Matt Light, McGinest, Curtis Martin, Lawyer Millow, Hightower.

Those are just a few a I remember during this run of theirs. It’s not even close IMO. Not only do they draft better but they also develop better.

3rd round picks in the 1995 draft? 

E762D217-FE9B-4321-9435-80C50ACF3785.gif

I'd say the Pat's are average at drafting. They excel at coaching, scheme, and maximizing the talent of who they do have. They'll poach misused castoffs from other teams and coach em up. That's probably harder than drafting well. A lot of teams have better players than them, but when its January, they're always the ones going home.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'd say the Pat's are average at drafting. They excel at coaching, scheme, and maximizing the talent of who they do have. They'll poach misused castoffs from other teams and coach em up. That's probably harder than drafting well. A lot of teams have better players than them, but when its January, they're always the ones going home.

Imo, Projecting from the college to the nfl is more difficult than taking on a guy who has put something on tape in the nfl. Interestingly, two guys NE traded for are guys they let go of and reacquired.

The thought of throwing Haskins in against high power defenses keeps giving me flashbacks of Patrick Ramsey...

Now my memory may be hazy, but he was going to potentially great QB who got his ass absolutely handed to him because we didnt have the OLine to protect him and going into his second season you could tell he still was shell shocked and probably a good candidate for PTSD.

So....yeah...let's just wait until after the bye before we start Haskins shall we...

Besides, my morbid curiosity wants to see a Keenum/ Cousins match up...

1 hour ago, Sonny9TD said:

You sure got that right. Compliments of the brothers Danny and Bruce Cluless

They're about a clueless as some of you fans. Haskins had a 1st Rd grade period. The Skins didn't have to move up to take him. No matter what some of you guys say. The pick was actually right. The only question is will he be a franchise QB or not. The answer is probably not and it's not because of Haskins. It's because he's on a **** team with a **** organization. 

The irony the one who continues to throw roses Haskins way as for public statements is Jay.  I hope he's right. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/14/49ers-defense-kyle-shanahan-deshaun-watson-texans-sam-darnold-jets-mmqb

Gruden was aware, too, of the narrative out there that there was disagreement internally over Dwayne Haskins. “We needed a quarterback, for sure,” he said. “Whether everybody was on the same page or not, the decision was made to take Haskins. He’s a great prospect, just wasn’t quite ready Weeks 1 through 5 Now, I don’t know if he’ll be ready next or the week after. But while I was there, he wasn’t quite ready.”

Regrets. Gruden has plenty of regrets, but when asked what, specifically, he answered, “it really doesn’t matter now.” But he mentioned how coaches without final say over the roster have to manage different staff and roster dynamics—“That’s the hardest part of coaching in the National Football League, in my opinion.”

26 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

They're about a clueless as some of you fans. Haskins had a 1st Rd grade period. The Skins didn't have to move up to take him. No matter what some of you guys say. The pick was actually right. The only question is will he be a franchise QB or not. The answer is probably not and it's not because of Haskins. It's because he's on a **** team with a **** organization. 

You prove my point. **** organization doesn't know what they're doing. Haskins the correct pick is nuts. Get real. Haskins was a late round pick at best but the strong arm had everyone giving him way too much praise. He just happened to be one of the better known QBs in this draft which is saying very very little. Gruen an ex QB didn't want him. Haskins a top 15? Please. A waste of a 1st round pick pure and simple. Again. Gardner Minshew is a better QB.  Haskins is to QB as Doctson is to WR.

32 minutes ago, Xameil said:

The thought of throwing Haskins in against high power defenses keeps giving me flashbacks of Patrick Ramsey...

Now my memory may be hazy, but he was going to potentially great QB who got his ass absolutely handed to him because we didnt have the OLine to protect him and going into his second season you could tell he still was shell shocked and probably a good candidate for PTSD.

So....yeah...let's just wait until after the bye before we start Haskins shall we...

Besides, my morbid curiosity wants to see a Keenum/ Cousins match up...

Kirk cousins is gonna blow him outta the water its not even going to he close...

16 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Not being able to play after your picked mid 1st round tells me that maybe the FO "messed up."  And I say maybe because something is not right in his game or the egotistical Danny would be parading him out there and taking credit.   I sure as hell want him on the field for at least six or seven games so we know what we have in him before the draft. 

Think bigger picture. We dont need him to play right now. We are setting up for 2020. We've been setting up for 2020 for 4 years now. Next year is the make or break year for whether or not this rebuild has legs. First we rebuilt the DL which was the worst DL in the league that happens to have to face Barkley and Elliott twice a year. Last year we picked up a high potential pass rusher, a potential no.1 wr, a qb of the future, and potentially the top SS in the league (who has helped shut down Ertz/Engram). Next year we make moves for OL/TE/WR. I would assure that we are getting a top 5 pick this year without jeopardizing the health and progression of Dwayne Haskins. 

A top 5 pick could get us Jerry Jeudy. McLaurin/Jeudy + Sims in the slot would be a great setup for Haskins. A top two could provide us with the ability to trade down and still get Jeudy. Trading Trent should be PRIORITY NO. 1 right now. We need OL/TE/WR help, and have the ability to make some moves to get there. Bruce has to make the move. Hell, I would trade Trent right now to Tampa for a 1st and OJ Howard in a heartbeat!

Haskins starting after the bye week is 7 games of experience.

Hey Josh Norman said right to Rich Eisen, last week I think it was,  that Haskins is not progressing as quickly as others who enter the NFL do. He said it very of matter fact like.  That is not a ringing endorsement and Norman was doing a lot IMO to downplay it while "supporting" the FO,  in other words kissing up...but I digress.... The main point being that Haskins is not good enough. 

Norman has been the worst player on our defense this year. He's been roasted repeatedly. He doesnt get a say here. Its not like hes this beacon of integrity when he's out there running with the bulls while still under contract...

And of course fans are fed up.  This is a dumpster fire.  What do you suggest the fanbase reaction be? I mean what have they gotten right in the past 20 years when it comes to personnel at key positions, particularly QB. The elusive franchise QB.

Id suggest that the fan base be patient when the FO for once has decided to be patient with a rookie qb with no supporting cast.

35 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

You prove my point. **** organization doesn't know what they're doing. Haskins the correct pick is nuts. Get real. Haskins was a late round pick at best but the strong arm had everyone giving him way too much praise. He just happened to be one of the better known QBs in this draft which is saying very very little. Gruen an ex QB didn't want him. Haskins a top 15? Please. A waste of a 1st round pick pure and simple. Again. Gardner Minshew is a better QB.  Haskins is to QB as Doctson is to WR.

A lot of experts disagree with you. 

Grade: A-

Draft analysis: "Alex Smith's leg injury last fall was extremely unfortunate. You have probably forgotten that the Redskins were 6-4 with a healthy Smith, then went 1-5 after he got hurt. They easily could have won the NFC East, and the entire theme of the offseason would have changed. This team has talent. Now, Washington has an onerous contract for Smith on its books, and it's unclear when -- if ever -- he'll play again. That means quarterback was the priority for this team.

Once the Redskins opted to trade for veteran Case Keenum as a stopgap option, we knew the first round as a possibility for owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen to target a quarterback. So it's funny that all of the talk was about trading up ... and Dwayne Haskins fell right into their laps at No. 15. As I wrote on Thursday night, I love the fit here. Haskins has a chip in his shoulder, and he's a gamer. He never wilted under pressure for the Buckeyes, and he was at his best in the biggest games. I'm excited to see what coach Jay Gruden and new offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell can do with him.

The Redskins then traded back into Round 1, surrendering the No. 46 pick and a second-round pick in next year's draft to move up to No. 26 for pass-rusher Montez Sweat, who was ranked No. 12 overall on my board. Yes, that's a lot to give up, but I really like Sweat, who could have been a top-10 pick if not for a heart condition that caused him to drop. I spoke to people from teams that had removed him entirely from their draft boards, and I spoke to other team representatives who had him in the top 10.

Grade: B+

Draft analysis: "The fact that they did not have to move up to get Haskins was a major bonus. His arm is live and he has the ability to distribute the football to all parts of the field. Given the murky future of Alex Smith, finding Haskins waiting for them at No. 15 could prove to be franchise-changing. Finally, Washington traded up to grab Sweat, who will be a fine pass rusher if his heart condition does not prevent him from reaching his potential. They really needed depth at outside linebacker, where Sweat fits quite well. I am generally not enamored with giving up future second-round picks, but this guy's talent is worthy of taking that sort of chance."

Pro Football Focus

Draft analysis:

"Day 1: While there was speculation that they might have to trade up to get Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, Washington stayed put at No. 15 and still got their guy. Haskins finished the pre-draft process ranked 10th on the PFF draft board. Drawing striking similarities to Sam Bradford, Haskins was fantastic throwing at the short and intermediate levels in his lone year as a starter at the college level.

“Getting him here at 15 is an absolute steal; one of the steals of the draft. He has a lot of promise.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Washington’s second pick in the first round, which they traded for by sending the No. 46 overall pick and a 2020 second-rounder to Indianapolis, was not as highly regarded from PFF’s brass. Former Mississippi State edge defender Montez Sweat, the No. 46 overall player on our board, is freakishly athletic but didn’t wow as a pass rusher on film.

SB Nation"Sometimes the draft is about getting lucky. That was the case when quarterback Dwayne Haskinsslipped to No. 15. To fill the need at pass rusher, Washington jumped back into the first round to get another player in free fall with Montez Sweat. He can stand up and rush the edge. Washington paired Haskins with Ohio State teammate Terry McLaurin, a speedy receiver who does all the small things."

Bleacher Report: "The Redskins wanted Dwayne Haskins all along, and they didn't have to trade up to get their quarterback of the future. The Maryland native will come into his rookie season with a huge chip on his shoulder after not being selected by the New York Giants with the No. 6 pick. Haskins threw 50 touchdown passes for the Ohio State Buckeyes last season and has a powerful arm with touch. If Montez Sweat is healthy, the Redskins will have a game-changing pass-rusher."

New York PostA franchise quarterback (Haskins) and arguably the second-best edge rusher (Sweat) — who fell because of a misdiagnosed heart — to replace Preston Smith after trading back into Round 1. McLaurin can be the deep threat Josh Docston was supposed to be and a gunner on special teams. RB Bryce Love is a home-run threat behind Derrius Guice once Guice recovers from torn ACL.

ESPN: "Once the Redskins opted to trade for veteran Case Keenum as a stopgap option, we knew the first round as a possibility for owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen to target a quarterback. So it's funny that all of the talk was about trading up and Dwayne Haskins fell right into their laps at No. 15. As I wrote on Thursday night, I love the fit here. Haskins has a chip in his shoulder, and he's a gamer. The Redskins then traded back into Round 1, surrendering the No. 46 pick and a second-round pick in next year's draft to move up to No. 26 for pass-rusher Montez Sweat, who was ranked No. 12 overall on my board. Yes, that's a lot to give up, but I really like Sweat, who could have been a top-10 pick if not for a heart condition that caused him to drop. After a turbulent end to the season, this team is back on track. Haskins and Sweat, two top-12 prospects on my board, push this class over the top."

SB Nation: "They showed atypical patience and potentially walked away with two first-round blue chippers in QB Dwayne Haskins and OLB Montez Sweat. Even late picks like fifth-round C Ross Pierschbacher and sixth-round WR Kelvin Harmon could contribute early and often."

Washington Post: "There’s plenty to like here. It’s all so un-Redskins-like. They resisted the urge to move up or trade for Josh Rosen, stayed put at No. 15 and got the QB they wanted in Dwayne Haskins. Pass rusher Montez Sweat will turn out to be a steal at No. 26 if his health-related concerns indeed arose from a misdiagnosis. Getting speedy WR Terry McLaurin in the third round helps, and using a fourth-round choice on RB Bryce Love is intriguing."

Say what you want about the Redskins, but they had an excellent draft, for now. It's now time for these players to produce on the field.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/what-team-aced-their-2019-nfl-draft-grades-redskins-according-experts

I don't think its terrible to take a guy that you think has a high ceiling in the middle of the 1st round of the NFL Draft.

I think it's more advisable to do so when you have a stable situation at QB, which I assume the Skins thought. I also think that they reallllllly thought they were going to be a very good football team. So the motivation was to draft the rookie QB now, develop him behind Case/Colt, win some games, make a playoff run... And then next draft we'd be far too high in the draft order to land a top flight QB prospect and Haskins would have been in the system for a year and would have learned what to do and could be the franchise QB under Jay Gruden, who would have stayed as the team would have been in the playoffs.

The issue here stems that the Skins thought they were going to be good.

I thought somewhere in the 5-11 to 9-7 range, likely being 6-10 or 7-9. But I foresaw a situation where injuries piled up again and we bottomed out at 5 wins. 

Having a high draft choice next year wasn't in the plans.

Drafting a high ceiling developmental guy isn't a problem. Drafting a high ceiling developmental guy, with a HC who was on obviously thin ice, who apparently ran practices so poorly that it was an embarrassment that the FO overlooked for his entire tenure, with a poor QB situation and a continued emphasis on relying on injury prone players is the problem.

Now, the "we're close" and "damned good culture" get thrust in the limelight. And unfortunately, Haskins isn't where anyone thought he would be. (That doesnt mean he can't be... I'll emphasize that again).

Archived