Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

23 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I would like to make sure I’m on record as not one of “you.”

I posted this elsewhere.  Dan needs to clean house, swing the sword and hit Bruce and Jay.  Bruce first, preferably.    And Manusky.  And just about everybody else.  

giphy.gif

Jay should dress 3 QBs.

It's not rocket science and I am sure all can do the math as to why.

Has our emergency QB gotten any first team reps this week? I recall it was Jordan Reed at one point and wonder who it is now. 

If all 3 survive a half, trot out Haskins wide and if the corner plays off him fire a lateral at time and let him step into one deep without fear of mechanics failure.  Otherwise he's decoy for 1 play.

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay should dress 3 QBs.

It's not rocket science and I am sure all can do the math as to why.

Has our emergency QB gotten any first team reps this week? I recall it was Jordan Reed at one point and wonder who it is now. 

If all 3 survive a half, trot out Haskins wide and if the corner plays off him fire a lateral at time and let him step into one deep without fear of mechanics failure.  Otherwise he's decoy for 1 play.

I believe Trey Quinn is the emergency QB.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, KDawg said:

I don’t. I think he’s a guy who may be slightly checked out of coaching this team but wants what is best for the kid. 

Throwing to the wolves is not what’s best. We saw last week that he is FAR from ready.

And that’s okay. For now. 

Just strange we drafted a developmental QB with a coach who won’t be here next year.

Whoever comes next prob will spend a third or 4th rounder on a qb in the draft 

Haskins insta has been restored SIKE I AM JOKING THIS IS NOT TRUE

Has Callahan ever successfully mentored a QB?  He is an old school NFL purist IMO - and thus imagine he will not create a simplified playbook e.g. simply the terminology, further limit the set of play calls etc for Haskins.  

It looks like he had Jeff George and Rich Gannon in Oakland.  He had good passing and rushing teams when he was in Oakland, but every time I dig for info on him, the thing that always stands out to me are the sabotage claims by Rod Woodson, Tim Brown, and Jerry Rice.  Maybe he has been trying to secretly tank us via a failed run game heh.

All signs point to him not being the guy to guide Haskins. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I just heard Diane Russini right, she just said he talked to someone on the offensive staff when do you think Haskins will be ready to play -- they said 1-2 years from now. 

I heard that too. Apparently Haskins is very raw and could be a long term project

I mean anyone is going to be a long term project player with this garbage organization 

Just now, Boss_Hogg said:

I heard that too. Apparently Haskins is very raw and could be a long term project

I mean anyone is going to be a long term project player with this garbage organization 

Hoffman strongly hinted a few days ago that people in that building don't see him as a quick study thus far.   We got some negativity brewing of late on Haskins.  It should be interesting to see what they do with him now.  I've been against playing him but now I am changing my mind.  I get it if they want to wait a little longer.  But I'd play him after the bye week at the latest. 

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Has Callahan ever successfully mentored a QB?  He is an old school NFL purist IMO - and thus imagine he will not create a simplified playbook e.g. simply the terminology, further limit the set of play calls etc for Haskins.  

Based on what I've read today, Callahan's big thing will be run the ball.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I just heard Diane Russini right, she just said he talked to someone on the offensive staff when do you think Haskins will be ready to play -- they said 1-2 years from now. 

The more I hear about this coaching staff the more im sure they dont know wtf they are talking about. Did you hear them this morning talking about how players actually have their phones on them at practice ON the field? Thats madness. Its no wonder they look like they dont know anything. 

Dude is probably a while away from dominating. Hes smart enough to get enough to plat football for a losing team right now though. He cant be bad enough that he actually makes them worse. We saw what he did in preseason himself. He can figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman strongly hinted a few days ago that people in that building don't see him as a quick study thus far. 

What does that mean? That he's not picking up the QB thing fast enough?

I'm just a dumb old man. So explain to me like I'm a 4 year old. 

22 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

What does that mean? That he's not picking up the QB thing fast enough?

I'm just a dumb old man. So explain to me like I'm a 4 year old. 

LOL, I'd rather not because then I'll be dragged into an exchange on Haskins where I am coming off like a negative nellie on Haskins.   

And, I am not feeling negative on Haskins.  I see him the same now as I did all summer --  boom or bust prospect but lean boom because of his intangibles  Watching him in camp really solidified that for me.  He can get hot and throw some beauty balls and then also run very cold, too as for accuracy. 

Edit:  I'll just say that both Hoffman (recently) and Cooley (months back) said in their own way that Haskins isn't on an accelerated pace to be ready.  Ironically the one who disputed that was Jay himself, he had a comment recently suggesting Haskins is close to ready. 

I'll take the hit, SIP.

I'm worried about Haskins. Up front I see an extremely high ceiling. But I also see a low floor. And while he is a project, you like to see positive strides. Thus far, he looks the exact same now as he did in preseason. His mechanics are all off. He doesn't seem to be improving.

If this franchise REQUIRES a new HC to tryy to make Haskins a thing, it's a sign that nothing is changing. Gruden fell on the sword, but the issue is much higher. 

I am not high on Haskins at the moment. 

No, people, I'm not a hater. I'm not giving up on him. I don't think he's a bad kid. I don't think what has happened thus far makes him a bust. 

But I am negative on him thus far. I hope he can turn it around. 

and if he puts some good efforts on film, a new HC and GM ( :ols: a new GM, that's cute!) may want to keep him as their guy. Totally possible. But if he doesn't improve why the **** would you sign up for that?

Sounds like another Jameis Winston... and I was huge on drafting the guy. (Obviously Kyler was my first choice)

As others have said, I am definitely not down on the guy but he definitely needs to get in there and play. Minshew, D. Jones, Murray... all out there doing things. I don't like first round projects...

Callahan, as kind of an old school guy, seems like the sort to continue letting Haskins learn on the bench while he goes run-heavy and tries to preach mistake-free football (ironic given his unit's propensity for errors every week) to turn things around. So elevating him, rather than KOC, could be a sign that nobody in the FO is forcing Haskins to start on the coaches.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'll take the hit, SIP.

Lol, thanks.  😀

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I see an extremely high ceiling. But I also see a low floor

I agree with this point.  Said it before the draft.  Watching him in camp solidified to me how much I like the dude.  Seemed like a super cool guy.   But his play was very up and down.   His accuracy was very erratic.  He can throw some dimes and make some hard throws like deep out routes look like nothing.  And then miss a ton of throws in practice some of which were easy 5 yard out routes in the flat.  He threw a ton of picks, too.  So yeah you'd see the talent but he looked like he needed time to develop.    Granted that was months ago. 

I am no QB expert but for a layman like me -- his inconsistency feels like inconsistent mechanics.  I've watched several Peyton Manning TV shows where he was interviewed and he goes to town about how hard he works to ensure his throwing motion, timing, footwork, everything is consistent.

this is the quote for those interested.  the one year doesn't faze me but 2 seems extreme.   Wonder which offensive coach told her that, I didn't get the impression it was Jay. 

If anyone is listening to Sheehan this morning, he's railing for Haskins to start the rest of the year.  And I agree.

There's no good reason not to.  Gotta see if he can step up, face some adversity, learn on the fly.  Things are never perfect, especially timing in life.  And while I'd have preferred to have him sit for a whole year behind Keenum and Colt, that ship has sailed.   There's no reason to roll Keenum and Colt out there if they're not part of the future after this year and if we're looking at a top 5 pick.  And it's a bit ridiculous in this era of the NFL to take a QB in the first round without acknowledging the possibility that he might play in his first year.  Especially in a dumpster fire of an organization like this where the unexpected is the expected.  

Keep it vanilla, give him a scaled back playbook, whatever.  Give Haskins the keys, see what he's got.  If he flashes, the next head coach needs to audition for the job and part of the interview is going to be how he's going to work with Haskins.  If he's awful, well, the new HC might be looking for a new QB in next years draft.  

I mean, some QB's can play and learn as they go.

Dak as a rookie had as limited of an offensive scheme to work with as you can get.  But he had a great run game to help him out.

Big Ben's offense as a rookie was vanilla, and he was asked to do almost nothing as a passer for awhile.  That team was loaded with talent so it worked.

Ours is not.  But simplifying things can work fine.

Btw, it's not like Case and Colt really show a mastery of what the offense is supposed to be doing on a play by play basis either.  Jay was getting mad at his golden boy yesterday for executing plays wrong.

Does it really matter if Haskins messes up a play here and there when the two veteran QB's were already doing that?

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If anyone is listening to Sheehan this morning, he's railing for Haskins to start the rest of the year.  And I agree.

There's no good reason not to.  Gotta see if he can step up, face some adversity, learn on the fly.  Things are never perfect, especially timing in life.  And while I'd have preferred to have him sit for a whole year behind Keenum and Colt, that ship has sailed.   There's no reason to roll Keenum and Colt out there if they're not part of the future after this year and if we're looking at a top 5 pick.  And it's a bit ridiculous in this era of the NFL to take a QB in the first round without acknowledging the possibility that he might play in his first year.  Especially in a dumpster fire of an organization like this where the unexpected is the expected.  

Keep it vanilla, give him a scaled back playbook, whatever.  Give Haskins the keys, see what he's got.  If he flashes, the next head coach needs to audition for the job and part of the interview is going to be how he's going to work with Haskins.  If he's awful, well, the new HC might be looking for a new QB in next years draft.  

Agree.  Part of it for me is to see what Haskins' has. The preseason isn't that telling IMO.   Haskins numbers wise in the preseason were mediocre but showed flashes.   Preseason is obviously much easier to shine in -- vanilla defenses versus backups, etc -- Daniel Jones looked like Tom Brady in the preseason and that would be an understatement -- he had if I recall some insane 80% plus completion rate.   Let see some flashes in the the regular season.  if Haskins shows similar flashes in the regular season then he did in the preseason then I'd be encouraged. 

My point is I wouldn't have to raise the bar that high for Haskins or any rookie QB in the regular season but look for flashes.  We just need to see flashes IMO.  I'd play it out.  There is a chance they'd be in position to take Tua in the next draft.  Yes it would be crazy to take Qbs in back to back drafts and am hoping we don't have to do that.   But I'd like to see what we got with Haskins.  And it's not that am negative on him.  I am unsure and if I pushed on a leaning -- I'd lean positive.  But I do want to see what we got.  

I think we all want to see Haskins play. It's easy for all of us to  tell the coaches to keep things simple.  But the coaches are there everyday and we're not. They know better than us or Sheehan. My guess is Haskins just isn't ready. Game day things are moving so fast,  teams are mixing up coverages and blitzing. I just think from what we've heard it could be a disaster putting him in there.  But then I see this guy Minshew and the other no name from Carolina having success and think why can't Haskins do that???  Is he that bad? 

The owner went against his own staff and made this pick and it has caused more dysfunction to an already dysfunctional organization.  What a mess. What hot coordinator would want to come here and possibly ruin his career? I guess money talks. 

No QB needs two years to get ready, that's absurd. You got 6th round rookies starting right now in the NFL. Come on man.

I'm not saying we should expect Haskins to come in and light it up, but you can scheme up an offense that utilizes his strengths while he learns.

QBs need snaps to get better. Sure you can sit and learn and improve that way, but what's the point of that if you aren't winning games right now anyway?

We have to play Haskins at least the last 6 games, we cannot pass up a generational talent just to force something that isn't there.

If Haskins cant figure out how to run an offense and call plays and look somewhat decent doing it by years end then that's what the draft is for.

What Russini said really worries me, I knew he was raw but like Sheehan said, if players are telling Russini 1-2 years it's very possible they don't believe he has what it takes to play QB in the NFL.

I know there's a lot of guessing and unknown here I just don't want to waste what could be an opportunity at a true top tier QB in next year's draft, no offense to Haskins.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

No QB needs two years to get ready, that's absurd. You got 6th round rookies starting right now in the NFL. Come on man.

I'm not saying we should expect Haskins to come in and light it up, but you can scheme up an offense that utilizes his strengths while he learns.

QBs need snaps to get better. Sure you can sit and learn and improve that way, but what's the point of that if you aren't winning games right now anyway?

The offense he ran against the Giants was to his strengths... mesh concepts, philly concepts, triangle reads to one side of the field, moving the pocket a little bit.

Where I feel awful for Haskins is developing in this dumpster fire. What an intro to the NFL. Solid, stable program in college. Winning culture. To this.

Archived