Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

You're all aware, that given Redskin past, this game has all the makings of a Redskin win, right?

And then they turn around next week and lose to Miami.

I don't think there's a chance in hell we beat the Pats. But it would be Redskinny.

McCoy’s horrible performance last season in Dallas, followed by the terrible first half against the Eagles before he got injured, was more than enough for me. And that was with a Trent led, healthier OL, a viable run game, and Jordan Reed on the field. 

McCoy won’t be able to play at a high enough level to compete with any of the relevant teams we have to compete against. Might he look alright here or there versus a Miami defense etc... maybe, but his play will be just like the rest of the QB play during most of the Jay Gruden era: not good enough to hang with the above .500 teams on the schedule. 

Jay has been pretty smug the past few press conferences, implying that Colt was always his choice to start this year, as if that is somehow the reason he’s off to a probable 0-5 start. I’ve never been anti-Jay, and actually have always liked elements of his passing scheme, but he is definitely showing that it’s time for his tenure to come to a close. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t disagree that Jay will need to go because of this. But where I take some issue is that people jump right to Jay.

Stop doing that. Who am I asking to stop doing that? You. Who’s you? Anyone who is letting the FO off the hook by going after Gruden first.

Gruden will need to go because he’s a relic in this dysfunction. But the ire is being pushed on him to deflect. 

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if this wasnt leaked from the top of the Skins FO, either.

its a distraction. And people are falling for it. 

I would like to make sure I’m on record as not one of “you.”

I posted this elsewhere.  Dan needs to clean house, swing the sword and hit Bruce and Jay.  Bruce first, preferably.    And Manusky.  And just about everybody else.  

Use a big sword. I recommend...

4963EEC8-64DE-410B-B5F3-ED11DF117404.jpeg.1676230ec41bd8a9570cb19f760f0619.jpeg

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You're all aware, that given Redskin past, this game has all the makings of a Redskin win, right?

I don't think there's a chance in hell we beat the Pats. But it would be Redskinny.

But it wouldn’t be that Belichick-y. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I would like to make sure I’m on record as not one of “you.”

I posted this elsewhere.  Dan needs to clean house, swing the sword and hit Bruce and Jay.  Bruce first, preferably.    And Manusky.  And just about everybody else.  

Use a big sword. I recommend...

I see your sword and raise you this:

Image result for big axe

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Its ****ed up how true this is. Only reason we wont win is cause the pats dont slow down for anyone. 

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yep. Almost every year we have a stretch of games or win or 2 that no one knew was coming. Typically when on a winning or losing streak. 

I think we will lose this game, and then win 5 straight.  And then lose 6 straight.

Alex Smith looked drunk last year and we were 6-3.

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd actually agree had they had they not gutted out a tough one vs Buffalo last week. I think they're extra focused this weekend and that means major ass poundage

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're not beating the Patriots.  We're a terrible team and the players have quit on the coaching staff and the Redskins move would be for us to lose by 40.

I predict the energy to be healthy and high to start the game, in large part due to Colt. An opportunity for Colt to seize minutes of momentum and flow will be present. 

I do not think the Skins will win. 

My speculative percentage for each QB to win:

Colt 12%

Keenum 3%

Haskins 1%

Dont believe for a second everyone is on board with Colt starting. At this point it's obvious this is about Jay being right versus doing what's best for the franchise that's about to fire him.  Players are playing they want him fired, more then they want to play hard for Colt.

Having said that, this is the perfect game to say no one thought they would win and that's why they did.  Will believe it when I see it, but I will watch.

I am in the camp that while I do buy that Jay didn't want Haskins at 15, it didn't mean Jay was upset that they got him.  And I do believe Jay likes Haskins.    But anyway regardless of the context of how Haskins got here, I do believe Jay is doing what's best for Haskins.    And I don't blame him one whit for trying to win now -- I'd think Jay would be insane not to do so IMO unless he really did want out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27767603/washington-redskins-start-colt-mccoy-quarterback

"It's insane to think I would hold a grudge against Dwayne," Gruden said refuting the notion that he is taking out being mad at the team for drafting Haskins at No. 15 by not playing the rookie.

Gruden said he's starting McCoy because he has the most experience in his offense, having played in it since 2014. But McCoy broke his right leg last December and needed three surgeries to repair it in the offseason. He returned for training camp but after being told he would start, McCoy started to have issues with his leg when planting and trying to move or throw.

...But a lot of the conversation reverts back to Haskins and Gruden and the nature of their relationship. Multiple reports since even before the draft have stated that Gruden did not want to take Haskins. There were concerns in the Redskins organization beyond Gruden about how long it would take Haskins to be ready to play. Because Gruden is in a must-win situation, taking such a player with the 15th overall pick was not ideal. But Gruden said being on a hot seat did not matter when it comes to developing Haskins and disputed the notion that he doesn't like him.

"It's always hot," he said of his coaching seat, "but no matter how hot it is you have to do what's best for the team and the player and this is not just my opinion -- we have a lot of people who know about quarterbacks on our staff. We all feel pretty strongly this is the way to go. I take input from everybody. This is the best thing for him. By Week 10 or 12 if we feel more comfortable that he's more comfortable spitting things out and seeing things and getting the right protection calls and all that, then maybe we throw him in there. Right now it's important to learn and study and get himself ready."

More from that article, i like these lines from Jay.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27767603/washington-redskins-start-colt-mccoy-quarterback

Many in the organization have said the same things about Haskins from the time he was drafted: He's poised, talented but needs a lot of time.

"There is a lot that goes into playing quarterback," Gruden said. "If you haven't done it, there's a lot on your plate. Until he gets really comfortable, it's for his own good. If I didn't like him, I'd put him out there right now. I do like him. I think the world of him. He's going to be a great quarterback one day. Time is really important for him."

...Gruden said he spoke with Haskins on Friday "to make sure we're on the same page." Gruden said there has been no pressure from the organization to play Haskins.

"We're here to help him and make him a great player," Gruden said. "It might be this year. I don't know yet. But right now it's important to move forward with guys with more experience and knowledge of the system, especially the protections and all that good stuff. He's 22 years old. He's played [14] games in his career. This really is what should be happening."

I don’t. I think he’s a guy who may be slightly checked out of coaching this team but wants what is best for the kid. 

Throwing to the wolves is not what’s best. We saw last week that he is FAR from ready.

And that’s okay. For now. 

Just strange we drafted a developmental QB with a coach who won’t be here next year.

I think the overthrown pass to Quinn is what had it for Gruden on Keenum. He had also been doing a few of those in the previous games. Would be funny though if somehow Colt could win this game against the Pats and Snyder getting all confused about letting Gruden go. I hope we win, but of course that scenario will never happen (except for hopefully letting Gruden go).

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am in the camp that while I do buy that Jay didn't want Haskins at 15, it didn't mean Jay was upset that they got him.  And I do believe Jay likes Haskins.    But anyway regardless of the context of how Haskins got here, I do believe Jay is doing what's best for Haskins.    And I don't blame him one whit for trying to win now -- I'd think Jay would be insane not to do so IMO unless he really did want out.

I think there is a real disconnect between the FO and coaching staff regarding Haskins though.  When we picked Haskins, we needed to make it clear to Jay that he'd get to coach out his contract at least.  Then he could have used this year to actually develop Haskins.  Simplify the offense and start him and know that the W/L record wouldn't be held against him so long as he didn't egregiously mishandle the team.  We botched this situation.  That's what we do though.

Jay's record with his quarterbacks also isn't worth bragging about.  He abjectly failed with RGIII.  Dalton and Kirk were never more than average QBs.  Alex Smith played poorly before he got hurt, he was a lot better in Kansas City.  And right now he has done a poor job with Haskins.  Other coaches have done more with less than him.  Our coaching staff as a whole is pretty weak.  Combine that with a substandard roster with almost no high end talent and it seems as though the bottom has finally fallen out.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think there is a real disconnect between the FO and coaching staff regarding Haskins though.  When we picked Haskins, we needed to make it clear to Jay that he'd get to coach out his contract at least.  Then he could have used this year to actually develop Haskins.  Simplify the offense and start him and know that the W/L record wouldn't be held against him so long as he didn't egregiously mishandle the team.  We botched this situation.  That's what we do though.

Agree with this part.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jay's record with his quarterbacks also isn't worth bragging about.  He abjectly failed with RGIII.  Dalton and Kirk were never more than average QBs.  Alex Smith played poorly before he got hurt, he was a lot better in Kansas City.  And right now he has done a poor job with Haskins.  Other coaches have done more with less than him.  Our coaching staff as a whole is pretty weak.  Combine that with a substandard roster with almost no high end talent and it seems as though the bottom has finally fallen out.

Not sure about this part.  Maybe I am misremembering but I thought you've said before Kirk was better than average.  But playing along, Kirk played better under Jay than Shanny or so far in Minny .  RG3 is a bust.  I loved him when we picked him.  But Shanny outlined pretty well why he didn't work out among other things -- according to him he's no fan of studying film.   RG3 hasn't proven anything since he left.  

Alex started off slowly in KC.  He came off a career year before he got here.  I am not sure how we can say he's done a poor job with Haskins -- IMO its too early to tell on that front and I suspect we will never know since I am guessing Jay might be gone as soon as this Monday.  

I don't care if Jay stays or goes especially because it seems like a forgone conclusion anyway.  For me it has to start with the FO and then whomever is in charge should make that call. 

17 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think there is a real disconnect between the FO and coaching staff regarding Haskins though......  Dalton and Kirk were never more than average QBs.  Other coaches have done more with less than him.  

Jay does make some dumbass decisions like not prepping Haskins for NY and some of his situational play calls...And hiring of piss-poor DC's....etc but not getting the most out of Dalton and Kurt aint one. Those guys are limited talent wise but have lasted in the NFL as starting Qbs for a while and got paid. Haskins becomes Dan Marino comparably imo.

Archived