Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

But he hasn't been over the top in his criticisms.

He said Gruden had an "agenda" in terms of putting him out there.  And then said that Haskins hears the noise and is well aware that the coaching staff did not want him.  Meanwhile, Haskins has called that "fake news".

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/dwayne-haskins-redskins-qb-report-fake-news

He's also way too concerned over a "franchise QB" coming in relief for a terrible journeyman against the 32nd ranked passing defense.  

22 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Maybe I have a sliding scale for judging rookie QBs.  Good/terrible for a rookie isnt the same as for a vet, IMO.  

Rookie QBs have the benefit of being up and down. Yes, using Peyton as an example is silly, and yet, 55% completion, 28 ints and 3-13 record. Haskins can go out there and suck, as long as he is learning while he does it.

i honestly don’t see the concern. Are we scared about him physically making it? Ok, I get it. But I’m not scared of that. 

Scared it will be detrimental to his development? I don’t see it. More playing time, better. 

His Psyche? Nah.

Play him. Less pressure now then there will be next year. 

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

He said Gruden had an "agenda" in terms of putting him out there.  And then said that Haskins hears the noise and is well aware that the coaching staff did not want him.  

Yeah, I should have said he hasn't been over the top in his criticisms of Snyder.

Gruden/Allen otoh....(if you read between the lines)

1 minute ago, dballer said:

Rookie QBs have the benefit of being up and down. Yes, using Peyton as an example is silly, and yet, 55% completion, 28 ints and 3-13 record. Haskins can go out there and suck, as long as he is learning while he does it.

This whole thing is baffling to me.  So he sits the rest of the year and can go out and have his "rookie" season and take his lumps in year 2?  Why?

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This whole thing is baffling to me.  So he sits the rest of the year and can go out and have his "rookie" season and take his lumps in year 2?  Why?

I saw people concerned about our O Line - hopefully this isn't the case, but it may not be better next year. Penn may not be back, who knows what will happen with Trent, and Scherff...Just don't see any reason to push it off further. 

2 minutes ago, dballer said:

I saw people concerned about our O Line - hopefully this isn't the case, but it may not be better next year. Penn may not be back, who knows what will happen with Trent, and Scherff...Just don't see any reason to push it off further. 

It would be alarming if the O-Line looked like it did against Buffalo in 2011, but they have played surprisingly decent (in terms of protecting the QB) this year.  

FYIW - Chris Thompson the other day on the Junkies said something along the lines that Haskin's is not one of those guys who would be "damaged" by bad starts.  He has a lot of confidence, always looking to improve, stays positive and nothing really seems to bother him.

10 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Riddick's already worked for this organization. And you think he wants to come back? You actually think Washington at this point in the game is an attractive job?

tenor.gif.ee80d86c3ba60229888d5a363ba3ff0a.gif

If anything, the Redskins should be calling him back. And again, some fans will cuss the team out until somebody outside agrees. This team is wet garbage! Ain't nobody comin' here!

Yeaaah, no, going to have to disagree here. If you’re on Twitter you’ll see him constantly, desperately, making the case for himself to have a job in the NFL. He’s also always answering Skin fans when they beg him to come here in the affirmative and positively like he’d love to. Then there’s this: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/28/espns-louis-riddick-dwayne-haskins-is-twice-qb-rgiii-was-daniel-snyder-has-changed/%3foutputType=amp

ESPN’s Louis Riddick: Dwayne Haskins is ‘twice the QB’ RGIII was, Daniel Snyder has changed - The Washington Post

Dwayne Haskins throws a pass at Redskins Park last week.  (Patrick Semansky/AP) Dwayne Haskins throws a pass at Redskins Park last week. (Patrick Semansky/AP)

May 29, 2019 at 1:26 PM EDT

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick was a scout and director of player personnel for the Washington Redskins from 2001 to 2007 and worked for the Philadelphia Eagles for five seasons before entering the broadcasting world. He no longer has firsthand knowledge of the day-to-day operations at Redskins Park, but he still knows “plenty of people” who keep him in the loop. That makes him more qualified than most to assess whether Daniel Snyder has evolved as a leader over two decades as the Redskins’ owner.

“He does things much different now,” Riddick said of Snyder on ESPN colleague and Redskins beat reporter John Keim’s latest podcast. “He is not the everyday presence that he was before. He is not the guy who used to call me and ask me to come over to his office and talk about the roster and talk about moves and talk about strategy the same way he used to. He is not involved with it that way. He has tried to evolve and entrust people in power that he’s put into place to make those decisions.”

It didn’t take long for Snyder to develop a reputation for being overly meddlesome after he purchased the Redskins and Jack Kent Cooke Stadium in 1999. Washington went through six head coaches, including Steve Spurrier and Jim Zorn, in Snyder’s first 10 years as owner. Late in the 2013 season, Mike Shanahan’s final year with the team, Riddick offered some criticism of Snyder’s management style in a conversation with Keim.

“You have to respect how the game has to be managed from the ground level, not from the board room, and be cognizant of the power and authority the head coach deserves and needs,” Riddick said at the time. “If it’s just about, ‘I’ll do what I do because I have a right to do it,’ then don’t be mad when the results are what they are.”

The Redskins’ results haven’t changed much since then, but Riddick suggested Snyder may have, recalling a conversation the two men had on the field in Philadelphia before Washington played the Eagles on “Monday Night Football” in December.

“Even in that brief conversation, I could tell he was a different person than he used to be,” Riddick said.

“You can tell. With age comes wisdom, comes calmness. You just kind of look at things differently. We had a great conversation. I kind of left that conversation going: ‘That was pretty cool. That was different.’ Obviously it was just a small amount of time, but he does seem like a different guy. You can never fault Dan for not wanting to win, because he’s always wanted to win. It’s just how he’s gone about it that hasn’t always been the most productive way of doing it, but he seems like a different person.”

The suggestion that Snyder has adopted a more hands-off role in running his team in recent years is nothing new.

“There’s definitely been a different vibe in the owner’s box during games this year,” Fox News anchor Chris Wallace, a regular guest of Snyder’s at FedEx Field, told The Washington Post after the 2015 season. “There’s just a quiet confidence, almost a serenity about it, which is a little surprising to say when you’re talking about Dan Snyder. There’s been a sense the football people are in charge, there’s a plan, and Dan likes the plan.”

Leading up to last month’s NFL draft, however, there was speculation that Snyder was “taking over” the team’s draft plan and was determined to do whatever it took to select quarterback Dwayne Haskins in the first round. Snyder’s son attends Bullis, where Haskins went to high school. The former Ohio State star fell to Washington with the 15th pick. Riddick praised Haskins as a prospect and said he brings hope to a franchise in desperate need of it.

“Dwayne Haskins is twice the thrower of Robert Griffin,” Riddick told Keim, comparing the rookie with the last quarterback Washington drafted in the first round, in 2012. “He’s twice the quarterback. Robert Griffin was never a good pocket quarterback. . . . This is a legit, legit franchise quarterback, and they need to protect this young man and set the table for him."

Riddick called Haskins “something special” and said veteran quarterback Case Keenum, Haskins’s main competition for the starting job, is “not in the same Zip code” as the rookie in terms of talent. Riddick also suggested that 34-year-old Redskins offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell, who served as Washington’s passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach last season, will go a long way toward determining how quickly Haskins adjusts to the NFL level.

“If I’m ever to get back in the league to be a GM, [O’Connell is] a guy people continually put on my radar and talk about as you have to watch this young man, you have to keep an eye on him,” said Riddick, who was a candidate for the 49ers’ general manager position two years ago. “He needs to be the main voice in Dwayne Haskins’s ear. He’s the one that they need to let really guide him through the early part of his career and the early part of his rookie season until he eventually becomes a head coach somewhere because people think that he is special. We’ll see.”

Yeeeeaaaaah.

Also, you can give this a listen to: 

He’s actually the perfect fit. Snyder loves desperate people out of a job with no other options. 

Honestly, let the kid play.  He'll either figure it out or won't.  We'll have a top 3 pick in the spring and can go after the next guy. 

Everyone is up in arms at Jay but honestly, Jay hasn't cared about this team or put in real effort since they let his qb in Kirk go. It's been evident since last year when Alex came in. It's why he gives lazy answers, isn't creative with plays, he simply doesn't care what happens... He's just collecting his paycheck like the rest of the players are until he can get out of the building.

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Why does anyone want Riddick to work for the Redskins? What am I missing?

I don't think anyone was talking about wanting Riddick to come back. Look, he was the director of pro personnel during the Gibbs 2.0 time (2005-2007). Unfortunately for him, he had an idiot as a boss (Vinny). But that's neither here nor there at this point. Riddick is not trying to come back here. Particularly when he probably knows the political environment around here. I do believe Gruden has an agenda and I don't think he wants to be here. But keeping him may stem from the organization not wanting to fire him until he's earned that extension money. So to spite the ones that wanted Haskins, here ya go.

Things are relatively ****ed up for sure!

47 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Haskins basically played one half of football, right? I mean, that was Case out there in the first half and I didn't miss any other playing time he's been given in other games, have I?

Just checking.

I think for some (my take, anyways) is that a new GM/HC may not want to build around Haskins. Or they may.

Film lets them evaluate, but the team also needs to protect him as an asset in case they do decide to move on.

But the people that are outright writing Haskins off (to be fair, I haven't seen many people do that) are way off the mark based off of his "playing time".

They need to start Colt, but give Haskins lots of reps to prepare him to start the back half of the season. They can dumb it down for him. If he still looks lost by year’s end, yikes. 

Also, maybe Minny will take Case off our hands if Kirk keeps being Kirk.

Let's say Gruden/Allen are both fired at the end of the season.  Who is to say a new GM/Coach get hired and pretty much approach the QB situation the same way GMSM did and want to draft their own QB and not Haskins?

I don't buy into the "Gruden is sabatoging Haskins" conspiracy, however I also believe that Gruden likely knows he is on borrowed time, will probably be gone by the end of the season if not sooner, so his motivation to begin the process of developing a rookie project QB might not exactly be off the charts either. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no sabotage. Gruden just knows he needs to win now and Haskins doesn't help him do that, and he has no incentive to develop him for a future that he likely won't be part of if/when we lose 10+ games.

Gruden's win now time has passed, i would imagine. 

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But the people that are outright writing Haskins off (to be fair, I haven't seen many people do that) are way off the mark based off of his "playing time".

Actually, I was thinking the same thing concerning any conclusions being reached about anyone based on Haskins' "playing time" lol...

If Gruden were smart, he'd realize this season is already lost. He'd commit to Haskins and do his absolute best to make him look good by season's end, and then try to sell the FO/ownership that he should keep his job for the sake of Haskins development and continuity. That's the only way he keep his job.

But of course, that's assuming he WANTS to keep his job. He might be okay with getting fired at this point and getting out of this s show organization.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

If Gruden were smart, he'd realize this season is already lost. He'd commit to Haskins and do his absolute best to make him look good by season's end, and then try to sell the FO/ownership that he should keep his job for the sake of Haskins development and continuity. That's the only way he keep his job.

But of course, that's assuming he WANTS to keep his job. He might be okay with getting fired at this point and getting out of this s show organization.

If you are Gruden you have to wonder how many games you could win if players came back healthy and Colt is who he thinks he is for more than a quarter of a game. Colt, mclurin, reed and guice could be good enough for atleast a few wins. Its a shame how its all fallen apart for him. When you look at what could have been its no wonder he didnt want a rookie that raw. 

But hey, play the cards ya got. I guess. I wouldnt want to be responsible for this **** at this point. Almost feel bad for him. 

Gruden is really in a lose-lose situation this season. 

The front office drafted a QB with a lot of raw talent, but also considered a project. 

The two other options at QB are a journeyman and a career backup. 

The team itself is mediocre and riddled with injuries.

There really isn't a "win now" formula for 2019 period.

Say Dan does clean house, including Allen. Does he give the incoming regime the power to decide what to do with Haskins? I doubt it. And around we go.

Add: If I were Dan, and I am even considering cleaning house...  (I can't believe I'm about to say this)...   I would force the team to play Haskins so the next regime would have tape on him prior to next year's draft.

Archived