Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

9 minutes ago, volsmet said:

So, what’s to talk about, if nothing he does is right. 

Plenty of great coaches haven’t given first team reps to rookie QBs. 

I think you're going with a binary argument as opposed to a nuanced one.  Jay was a quarterback, he's got the pedigree, and he's demonstrated that he can put together a hell of an offense. 

However, his biggest flaw seems to be his judgment in terms of time management and making adjustments.  So is Haskins not getting reps because it's what's best for him, or is Jay just sticking to the plan regardless of circumstance?  That's where the questioning comes in.  It's not just players, it's his staffing choices as well.  Not that he has to justify himself to the media or fans, but what he does say doesn't inspire any confidence in his ability to go with what's needed in the moment.  "They're new, so it'll come together" can only work for so long.

And to be clear with my bias:  Prior to three blowouts to start the season, I was pretty high on Jay.  Now it just feels like the 2014 season all over again where I literally expect to lose big each game.

I've been saying this for awhile.  The NY media is obsessed with the Haskins dynamic.  I guess in part because so many earlier in the process thought he'd be their target in the draft.  

“Daniel probably had a little bit more experience under his belt (than Haskins),” Gruden said in a conference call Wednesday. “(Duke) was outmatched a lot of times and he took a lot of shots, stood in the pocket, showed his accuracy, toughness and athletic ability. As far as being more ready, you never know until you get them in the building … I think with him and the kid in Arizona (No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray), those guys were ready to go. And I think Dwayne’s gonna be ready here pretty soon.”

9 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think you're going with a binary argument as opposed to a nuanced one.  Jay was a quarterback, he's got the pedigree, and he's demonstrated that he can put together a hell of an offense. 

However, his biggest flaw seems to be his judgment in terms of time management and making adjustments.  So is Haskins not getting reps because it's what's best for him, or is Jay just sticking to the plan regardless of circumstance?  That's where the questioning comes in.  It's not just players, it's his staffing choices as well.  Not that he has to justify himself to the media or fans, but what he does say doesn't inspire any confidence in his ability to go with what's needed in the moment.  "They're new, so it'll come together" can only work for so long.

And to be clear with my bias:  Prior to three blowouts to start the season, I was pretty high on Jay.  Now it just feels like the 2014 season all over again where I literally expect to lose big each game.

I don’t know what I’ve missed, I agree with all of that. I never liked Jay as a coach, I thought we’d go 3-13 this season, everything has gone almost exactly as I expected aside from the protection our line gave Keenum in weeks 1 & 2. 

My only point in the discussion here is that it’s not ridiculous to get a Keenum all of the first team reps, through the first 3 weeks, in Keenums first 3 weeks in the system. 

I don’t think Jay is a good HC, but I can be more defensive of coaches in general at times, my uncle *received death threats daily while at ND... it was brutal, seeing him deal with that is, assuredly, somewhere in my subconscious when I see a guy getting killed for his handling of QBs/offense. It doesn’t even feel particularly easy to write this right now. Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been saying this for awhile.  The NY media is obsessed with the Haskins dynamic.  I guess in part because so many earlier in the process thought he'd be their target in the draft.  

“Daniel probably had a little bit more experience under his belt (than Haskins),” Gruden said in a conference call Wednesday. “(Duke) was outmatched a lot of times and he took a lot of shots, stood in the pocket, showed his accuracy, toughness and athletic ability. As far as being more ready, you never know until you get them in the building … I think with him and the kid in Arizona (No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray), those guys were ready to go. And I think Dwayne’s gonna be ready here pretty soon.”

I want the #1 pick, but not as much as I want us to beat the crap out of Daniel Jones. 

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I don’t know what I’ve missed, I agree with all of that. I never liked Jay as a coach, I thought we’d go 3-13 this season, everything has gone almost exactly as I expected aside from the protection our line gave Keenum in weeks 1 & 2. 

My only point in the discussion here is that it’s not ridiculous to get a Keenum all of the first team reps, through the first 3 weeks, in Keenums first 3 weeks in the system. 

I don’t think Jay is a good HC, but I can be more defensive of coaches in general at times, my uncle recurved death threats daily while at ND... it was brutal, seeing him deal with that is, assuredly, somewhere in my subconscious when I see a guy getting killed for his handling of QBs/offense. It doesn’t even feel particularly easy to write this right now. Interesting.

Ridiculous? No. But that doesn't make it the right move (and neither does doing what I'm saying the right move is). 

People who can't differentiate criticism of a coach that coaches a game versus real life should really evaluate themselves or hopefully someone around them recognizes that behavior. It's a game, after all. Sorry your uncle went through all of that.

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Quick questions: did Keenum practice today? Is it looking like the rook will get the start? 

Don't think that's been reported. But McCoy is practicing so I don't think I'd count on Haskins getting the nod. But time will tell.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ridiculous? No. But that doesn't make it the right move (and neither does doing what I'm saying the right move is). 

People who can't differentiate criticism of a coach that coaches a game versus real life should really evaluate themselves or hopefully someone around them recognizes that behavior.

I don’t think who you think you are, but I am certain that you’re not him.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"Washington wasn’t going to draft Jones at No. 15, however, even though head coach Jay Gruden and his staff liked the Duke quarterback, because owner Daniel Snyder and president Bruce Allen wanted Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins."

Why does this make me trust the pick less now?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

What?

5EDB67CB-73E1-4404-8CC4-2F1D92BBBBEE.gif

2 minutes ago, illone said:

"Washington wasn’t going to draft Jones at No. 15, however, even though head coach Jay Gruden and his staff liked the Duke quarterback, because owner Daniel Snyder and president Bruce Allen wanted Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins."

Maybe you didn’t know that Dan has an insider at Bullis. 

1 hour ago, illone said:

I wouldn't put any stock into that. Its all speculation because the dude never made it to us in the draft. We very well could have identified QB as an spot to fill and were going to decide based on who was available who we were going to pick. If we had such a huge preference we would have made sure we got our guy by trading. 

It also could have been we wanted to trade for either, but needed the picks, so we didn't and settled for either of the two players we liked at 15. Jay said himself he like many of the QBs in the draft. 

I dunno anything for fact obviously though 

Case must have read the ES & decided he’s not going to take part in fake-injury-gate. Gruden can’t be happy about this.

Case Keenum (foot) was officially listed as "full" in Thursday's practice.

It means he will be out there against the Giants. The new question is, will Terry McLaurin. McLaurin popped up as "limited" on Thursday's injury report with a hamstring issue. McLaurin's absence would significantly curb Keenum's (already risky) streaming appeal.

Sep 26, 2019, 3:48 PM ET
  •  

1FC9A32A-83F3-4718-8462-09382AFD70E5.gif

The timing of the Keenum foot injury is terrible for Gruden.  Another variable to think about is that the Redskins play the Pats after this week.  The Giants pass D has been horrible.  Whoever plays this week should have some success.  Also, I find it very probable that whoever starts against the Pats is going to struggle quite a bit.  I'm amazed to see passing D stats for the Pats.  They have six INTs, and have not given up even one passing TD.  It's incredible.  The pressure to start Haskins would be incredible if Haskins came in for this week and looked as good as other QBs have against the Giants, and then Keenum comes back from injury only to have him look like other QBs have looked against the Pats.  The QB controversy would explode.  

Nice roller coaster week for Keenum.   6 5 turnovers amid faux goal line gate, then surprise boot gate, who's our starter gate, where'd the boot go gate, and now he is full practice - not even limited.  Wondering if he is a backup.

We need to learn more about the Volsmet endorsed magic healer boots.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

The last sentences are the most important.  This thread is completely different if the person running the show has any credibility.  Incompetence still grossly impacts even the right decision.

It's like, "I think this is the answer, but the dumb kid in the class thinks it's the answer, so now I don't think it's the right answer." Vs. "I'm not sure if this is the right answer, but the smart kid thinks it is, so I'll go with it anyway."

There's really little confidence in the competence to make the right decisions when they're perceived to be unorthodox.

I think switching QBs can be a tough call even for great coaches.  Belichick didn't watch Tom Brady in practice and decide to replace Bleadsoe as the starter.  It took an injury to Bleadsoe before the change was made.  Bill Parcels was told frequently by his defensive players, like Darren Woodson, that the Cowboys 2nd string/scout team offense was way more difficult to stop than the starting offense was, because Romo was clearly the best QB on the team but was 2nd string.  It took Bleadsoe making horrible turnovers before he gave Romo a shot.

So, what I am saying is: Sign Drew Bleadsoe to a contract, have Haskins come in and replace Bleadsoe, and bang!  You will have Haskins come in and rewrite all of your teams passing records.  Works every time.

3 hours ago, Nerm said:

The timing of the Keenum foot injury is terrible for Gruden.  Another variable to think about is that the Redskins play the Pats after this week.  The Giants pass D has been horrible.  Whoever plays this week should have some success.  Also, I find it very probable that whoever starts against the Pats is going to struggle quite a bit.  I'm amazed to see passing D stats for the Pats.  They have six INTs, and have not given up even one passing TD.  It's incredible.  The pressure to start Haskins would be incredible if Haskins came in for this week and looked as good as other QBs have against the Giants, and then Keenum comes back from injury only to have him look like other QBs have looked against the Pats.  The QB controversy would explode.  

Patriots defense looks amazing..excellent points here...they amazed me against the Steelers...only game I've seen of the Patriots though 

Archived