Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

well i'm one of them.  and it's based on the college resume you think is so special, not what Gruden is doing.  i watched I think 7 of his starts online at youtube , studying every pass he threw in those 7 starts.  watched each pass play multiple times.  he was inaccurate down the field.  any passes travelling more than about 7 or 8 yards in the air, he was below avg, I would say.  and converting 3rd down passes into 1st downs he was awful.  he played exclusively out of the shotgun in a college offense and some of these games were the much heralded "good" games of his.   he lived on screens and behind-the-line-of-scrimmage passes that would go for big yards because of the team around him.   I looked at him as basically a 5th round draft choice, so we shall see.  He might have fallen outside of the first round  if it werent for a NON FOOTBALL person who knows less about football than my dog, who doesnt study game tape of players, but insisted the team draft Haskins anyway.  Of course, I'm talking about Snyder who reportedly was the one who required the team draft him.  If that isnt a red flag in the first place, what is?   The IDIOT MORON owner, not any personnel department of QB needy team in the first 15 picks, but the idiot know-nothing owner is the guy that drafts him .   Not even the redskins scouting dept wanted him in the first round.  but we'll see.  he can prove me wrong, we'll see....

and I should note, all of this was before I started hearing about some of the little red flags that keep popping up with him OFF the field..

1.  the haskins and haskins media company he set up with his father 5 minutes after he got drafted (focus)

2. the league done wrong comment when the Giants drafted Jones instead of him (S*** talker) 

3. "sheesh" when Jones was made a starter in NY  (focus, none of your business)

4.  The needing to take #7 jersey even though you know its a protected number.  (build you own legacy, dude)

5.  watching him dancing on the sideline prior the start of this past Monday NIght's game

these are all nothing burgers to you.  they are tiny red flags to me.  i'll remember them once he is declared a starter and we see him for at least a season and we will see about the way he handles himself .  

Posts like this are why I wish Haskins would be traded to a better organization that doesn’t have boomers as their primary fanbase.

**** you. 🤡🤡🤡

6 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Posts like this are why I wish Haskins would be traded to a better organization that doesn’t have boomers as their primary fanbase.

**** you. 🤡🤡🤡

Coming from a boomer, yep.

first pick he throws or interpreted missed read or fumble:  “see, I knew he was a bust”.  Too freaking predictable and sometimes think we get exactly what we deserve.

I thought there was a high chance Case would get injured with our how much our OL got abused, and that Haskins would have to go in.  Turns out, Case did get injured.  I wonder if Jay told him to suck it up or Case kept the injury to himself. Or, our crack med staff was just doing its "get em in there" thing.

He probably hurt his foot desperately trying dive over the faux goal line.

Here's a little nugget to remember next time he tries that same head scratcher over the top play - QBs can no longer dive forward with the ball extended and expect forward progress. They are giving themselves up and are down when they start the act.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I thought there was a high chance Case would get injured with our how much our OL got abused, and that Haskins would have to go in.  Turns out, Case did get injured.  I wonder if Jay told him to suck it up or Case kept the injury to himself. Or, our crack med staff was just doing its "get em in there" thing.

He probably hurt his foot desperately trying dive over the faux goal line.

Here's a little nugget to remember next time he tries that same head scratcher over the top play - QBs can no longer dive forward with the ball extended and expect forward progress. They are giving themselves up and are down when they start the act.

Was it really even the lines fault? Other than a couple of dopey plays (like Scherff getting okiedoked) it was more of a scheme issue than a line issue. Case didn't help the situation either. 

But I have been thinking about the injuries...Maybe our guys, being less talented as a whole, are trying to make up for it by doing more than they are capable - ie Case Keenum trying to go prime Cam Newton over a pile - and putting themselves in positions they simply should not be in...

16 minutes ago, dballer said:

Was it really even the lines fault? Other than a couple of dopey plays (like Scherff getting okiedoked) it was more of a scheme issue than a line issue. Case didn't help the situation either. 

But I have been thinking about the injuries...Maybe our guys, being less talented as a whole, are trying to make up for it by doing more than they are capable - ie Case Keenum trying to go prime Cam Newton over a pile - and putting themselves in positions they simply should not be in...

Agreed - our blocking scheme failed.  Callahan was abused by Pagano.  All things equal we have "average" overall guys in our front 5. Our 5 guys aren't THAT bad.   With no run game and really never a run game identity under Callahan, his schemes must now be heavily scrutinized. No more free pass from his Dallas days.

Interesting angle on injury theories.  That's the danger point using a young QB. Say Haskins trots in down 16 with 2 minutes left. He is going to stand in the pocket like Dan Fouts at risk of getting clobbered because he knows he has to let guys get deep.  Haskins trying to make up for our horrific mind boggling inability to compete on Monday nights, all by himself, in a single play.

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Agreed - our blocking scheme failed.  Callahan was abused by Pagano.  All things equal we have "average" overall guys in our front 5. Our 5 guys aren't THAT bad.   With no run game and really never a run game identity under Callahan, his schemes must now be heavily scrutinized. No more free pass from his Dallas days.

Interesting angle on injury theories.  That's the danger point using a young QB. Say Haskins trots in down 16 with 2 minutes left. He is going to stand in the pocket like Dan Fouts at risk of getting clobbered because he knows he has to let guys get deep.  Haskins trying to make up for our horrific mind boggling inability to compete on Monday nights, all by himself, in a single play.

I know, it's my only concern with bringing him in. BUT, in the preseason he really showed the ability to move in the pocket. Much better than Case IMO. And he's a big boy. Fingers Crossed.

26 minutes ago, dballer said:

I know, it's my only concern with bringing him in. BUT, in the preseason he really showed the ability to move in the pocket. Much better than Case IMO. And he's a big boy. Fingers Crossed.

And he moves around pretty good.  I am not concerned - heck soon all fans will be comfortably numb :ols:

We can hide him from contact for a year, and he like every single player could get injured in camp next summer.  What is going to happen, is going to happen.

It's almost ironic. If we drafted a guy with 4 years of college pounding under his belt, and the inevitable injuries that happen to players that are used heavily, we would have no hesitation in using him vs the Giants, because he has experience.  Even though he may be more fragile than a 22 year old with minimal wear and tear, he is the "safer" play?

I feel like trying to not get injured makes one more likely to get injured. We jinxed the whole thing. Jay has been scrutinized for not getting guys enough contact in camp as a possible reason injuries occur. If you don't use it, you lose it.  Of course it bites him in the ass with Jordan Reed.

If this team is as bad as it could be, we need to see Haskins. And we need Haskins to put film out there.

If the Skins wind up with one or two (not convinced they will, they’ll win a few games that we don’t see coming as per being a Redskinny thing to do), we need to know if we need a QB.

Could go full Arizona here. What a model to follow. 

(I think Haskins is going to be just fine, and our QB... but he has no trade value with no film and it’s hard to really know what you have in Haskins to make a well informed decision if he doesn’t play).

The when isn’t particularly important. It could come sooner or later. But it need some to happen. Especially if we’re 0-4/0-5 this weekend / next weekend to maximize our evaluation. Or... scary enough.. wake this team up a little with a spark.

"No, I'm happy for those guys," Haskins said on Friday. "It's easy to look at the rookie class and be like, 'Rookies are playing, why am I not playing?' I want to be like Tom Brady and Drew Brees and that's something that doesn't happen overnight. Tom didn't play at first; Aaron Rodgers didn't play at first."

After the Redskins drafted Haskins, they used the word "patient" to describe their approach. He started 14 games at Ohio State. Jones, by comparison, started 36. Minshew started 30. Murray also started 14, but his ability to threaten a defense with his legs enables him to play immediately.

How long will the Redskins be patient? What if the losing continues? With Gruden on the hot seat, they also are facing the possibility of Haskins starting over in a new system in 2020.

"He's got the skill set to do it," Gruden said. "There [is] a package of plays he can handle ... Obviously you wouldn't open the entire playbook for him nor would you need to, so you've got to make sure you cater to what he knows and what he's comfortable with, but he's got the skill set to do it."

As Haskins sits, he remains confident. A week after the draft, Redskins senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams said they needed to be patient with Haskins -- and he needed patience for himself.

"I know I can play well and play at a high level," Haskins said. "But I want to keep getting better. I feel I can be really, really good. I want to be a great quarterback, one of those guys you talk about for years to come. That's not going to happen overnight.

"Everyone has a different path and journey. That's good for [the other rookies] and that's the situation they're in and I'm not."

...The fact Haskins doesn't get any first-team reps is fairly common; last season, for example, Cleveland's Baker Mayfield and Baltimore's Lamar Jackson did not take first-team reps until they became the starter.

The Redskins run a passing game that numerous coaches, players and executives say has answers for any coverage. For example, it might feature man-coverage beaters on one side and zone-beaters on the other. But that requires the quarterback to quickly diagnose the coverage and make the proper read. There's also a lot of verbiage involved in the West Coast scheme, so the quarterback not only has to memorize the play but also comprehend what it means.

...Haskins' footwork remains a point of emphasis.

"Our quick [passing] game drop is different than what he did in [college]," Rattay said. "That's something we need to work on and fix. It's something he's never done before and it just takes a lot of reps.

"There's a lot of growth, but it's not where we want it to be right now. But that's everybody in the building, too. I like where he's going and I like that he's working hard."

...Haskins likes how this offense fits him, using some of the mesh route concepts (receivers crossing in the middle of the field) they used at Ohio State. It's not completely identical, but there is some carryover.

..."There's a difference between being patient and not working," he said. "I'm hungry. I want to play. As a competitor that's how you want to operate. But you want to be in the best position to succeed and that's what I'm waiting for. ... I feel good, I feel I can help the team win. I'm ready in case anything happens."

There will be film on Haskins before the end of the season.  It wasn't that long ago that almost everyone was in agreement that it didn't make sense to put Haskins out there in the first 6 games.  The Skins have had three QBs injured in less than 16 games (Smith, Colt, Keenum).  Do we want to add Haskins to the list?    

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

What would be the point of splitting starting reps at this point? Either Colt's ready in which case you play him or you don't or he's not in which case Dwayne needs as many reps as he can get.

Gruden needs to stop pouting about not getting what he wants (which is Colt to play and suddenly become Tom Brady)

I bet they don't know if Colt is healthy enough to play yet.  Hence Haskins getting work.  I bet the Keenum injury also caught them off guard.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"No, I'm happy for those guys," Haskins said on Friday. "It's easy to look at the rookie class and be like, 'Rookies are playing, why am I not playing?' I want to be like Tom Brady and Drew Brees and that's something that doesn't happen overnight. Tom didn't play at first; Aaron Rodgers didn't play at first."

03881F65-98BE-4F11-A9DF-1BDDA9DA07C4.gif

Drafting Haskins made sense for the long-term future of the Redskins franchise, but Gruden isn’t coaching for the long-term future of the Redskins franchise. He’s coaching for 2019. He said as much this spring. 

"There is no developmental process here. This is not Triple-A baseball, we’re not trying to develop a pitcher here," Gruden said in March during the NFL Owner's Meetings. "We’re trying to win a game right now."

Gruden's comments came before the NFL Draft, before the Redskins took Haskins, and before the coach was clumsily thrust into the role of working with a young QB while trying to meet a playoff mandate. 

...If it's not, let's once more go back to Gruden's comments from March, this time specifically about Haskins. 

"Haskins has a unique skillset. He’s big, strong and can really throw it," the coach said. "Is he going to be ready for the first year? Ideally a couple of these guys you’d like to have them sit a year maybe to get them in your system learn to get to know your guys and play, especially those guys who only played one year."

Haskins played just one year of college football at Ohio State. He was excellent, but it still wasn't much time or experience. Clearly, that matters to Gruden. 

"If you take a guy like Haskins or whoever else, [Drew] Lock or [Will] Grier or whoever else, in this draft at 15 you would expect them to compete. If they don’t win the job you can’t just hand the ball over to them, they have to win the job. And you give them every opportunity to do that. If not you sit them until you feel they're ready."

By now it should be obvious that there was a serious disconnect between Gruden and the Redskins front office that decided to draft Haskins. The coach believes his rookie passer is in the "sit them until you feel they're ready" phase of his development, which will not satiate fans that want to see the rookie on the field. 

In March, Jay Gruden made it clear that drafting a passer at 15 didn't make much sense. In April, the team drafted Haskins anyway. 

Blame Gruden for not working more on developing Haskins if you want, but don't be surprised how things have unfolded. The answers for this test were all available before the questions even got asked.  

Washington is attempting to rebuild on the fly, to remodel the house while living in it. Occasionally that can work, but more often than not it ends up unfinished and messy. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/disconnect-between-jay-gruden-bruce-allen-and-development-dwayne-haskins

18 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I disagree with everyone about Scout team.

You don't disagree with me.  There is no shame in running the scout team.  It's part of the back up quarterback's job.  It's how Kirk was able to get work in when he was backing up Griffin.  And who else is going to run it for us if not Haskins?  The punter?  You need someone who can actually throw to do it.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You don't disagree with me.  There is no shame in running the scout team.  It's part of the back up quarterback's job.  It's how Kirk was able to get work in when he was backing up Griffin.  And who else is going to run it for us if not Haskins?  The punter?  You need someone who can actually throw to do it.

I don't understand what there is to disagree with.

Backup QBs, especially young guys, usually run scout team. That's kind of the way it is and has to be.

But that doesn't mean he can't also be getting some reps with the ones from time to time. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

By now it should be obvious that there was a serious disconnect between Gruden and the Redskins front office that decided to draft Haskins. The coach believes his rookie passer is in the "sit them until you feel they're ready" phase of his development, which will not satiate fans that want to see the rookie on the field.  

This is a leap that so many people are making, that doesn't at all feel true or obvious to me.  The obvious disconnect is between the fans and the team itself on Haskins, not between Gruden and the FO.  The fanbase and Redskins media just do not understand what the team is doing with Haskins and can't seem to compute a patient approach with the kid.  Finlay's article is making his leap based on general comments that Gruden made during bull**** season, which is sports journalism malpractice.

It's never been clear that Jay had a problem with drafting Haskins.  Never.  That has been something that people have run away with based on rumors.  Every statement he's made about Haskins has been rational and stressing patience with him is absolutely the correct and appropriate approach to take with him.  In fact any clear-eyed look at Jay's job situation here made it obvious that the ONLY chance Jay had at keeping his job was for us to get him a quarterback in that draft.  Why the **** would he be against us getting him one?  It's a dumbass narrative.

2 hours ago, illone said:

I'd have a "foot injury" if I played for this team too.  Very mysterious.

I agree. It seems rare to go from no injury, to faux goal line vault fail, to a walking boot.  I do think he is injured because its no big deal to proclaim Colt the starter as he was first on the depth chart, and Case had 5 turnovers. The injury does afford Haskins to be the backup without any fan fare. Keep Dan happy. Fan's fares do keep him happy, heh.

But hey, Redskins, and so bizarre injury situations go hand in hand with life in Raljon.

Honestly, Case's injury feels like a mercy killing.  You don't want to have a short hook with quarterbacks and punish them for mistakes when they are learning because it has the counterproductive effect of leading to more mistakes by killing their confidence and making them play scared.  That's why Jay said he can't be changing guys every five minutes.  He was right.

But that performance against the Bears was so God awful that it shook everyone else's confidence in Case.  We can't keep going with him.  The injury gives them a reason to pull him for something other than performance.

Archived