Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Hey, Blacklist wasn't that bad! Except for the wedding/death/birth episode. They kind of nuked the shark on that one. And all the seasons after it...

Okay, yeah, it has been kind of not good for a while.

To be fair, no show could continue greatness for that long. It's just not possible.

Look how many seasons they've run.

They were bound to run out of good ideas after several years. It's really hard to top what they started off with.

It's so intellectually stimulating, I bet Dwayne Haskins watches Blacklist, as mental exercises, to get his mind ready for the NFL's challenges ; There now, I stayed on-topic.

20 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Keim was just saying based on his inside sources how Haskins has always been #3 on the depth chart, not just as a 'preseason technically' but in reality as well.

And it was considered a 2-man competition between Case and Colt, until Colt got hurt.

He also said the organization strongly feels that he has, and always has had a long way to go, to be NFL-ready.

Then you factor in Haskins hasn't had a single start in preseason, or any work with the 1's.

So, considering all that, the debate really shouldn't go round and round like you say.

As it seems clear that Jay is intent on starting Case on Game 1, even though he won't publically say so.

I meant round and round on here.  I agree with everything you posted.  As I said in the game thread on Thursday, there's never been a competition.  It's been Case, IMO, since day 1.  I'm not sure they'd have given it to Colt if he could manage to stay healthy.  

34 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure they'd have given it to Colt if he could manage to stay healthy.  

Key word there is "they", and very wiley of you to sneak that in there...because you just know that Jay would have pushed for Colt to start, and "they" and the "group decision" would have voted him off.

I'm only half-kidding.

Very impressed with DH so far.  In particularly:

- he moves well in the pocket.  Seems like he can feel pressure, but he doesn't tuck it and take off.  He moves to open space with eyes remaining downfield.

- nice touch on the ball.  Made some nice passes for completions, but even on some misses where there wasn't much there, he put it in a spot where a redskin was close but the ball was out of reach of the defender.

He did make some bad decisions on throws, and also had his receivers drop catchable balls. 

As someone who didn't like the Haskins pick initially (but felt much better about it after we traded up for sweat bc I wanted a pass rusher at 15), I am feeling much better about DH.  Hearing about his work ethic and cerebral approach makes me even more excited.  

That being said, I'm still in the redshirt DH camp.

Just listened to the Cooley show and he definitely has one of the more interesting ideas I've heard.

He said Haskins should start and play the first 2 series, then went on a 5 minute mini rant on how the team could shorten the terminology and he could be ready.

It pretty much sounds like he wishes they would start Haskins, at least that was my takeaway.

58 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Just listened to the Cooley show and he definitely has one of the more interesting ideas I've heard.

He said Haskins should start and play the first 2 series, then went on a 5 minute mini rant on how the team could shorten the terminology and he could be ready.

It pretty much sounds like he wishes they would start Haskins, at least that was my takeaway.

These discussions make for great debate, but it’s tough to say what’s right or wrong without knowing what the long term plan is for coaches, the player, and FO. 

If they laid out the plan and supported idea of going down path of a longer learning curve, with goal for him to achieve mastery/elite status, then great. Meaning, we’ve established and communicated with Haskins a baseline of understanding and comfort before engaging in process to start, due to wanting to start a path that leads to greatness.

In too many words, Im trying to say, if there’s a long term view with micro goals to achieve before starting process of being “the guy”, I’m okay with being patient. 

This represents the view of remaining patient, not a right or wrong, as there are many examples of guys reaching mastery and starting there rookie years.

With that said, Itd be interesting to break down when a pool of considered to be elite or past hall of famers who achieved mastery and what there path was. Meaning, was it year 3,5, or 7 when elite status was achieved and which guys sat and which ones started right away. 

Sorry it took a while to get back to this. You asked a fair question and I wanted to respond. 

On 8/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, wit33 said:

Ya man, nowhere will it say Jay didn’t like Kirk or sour on him, but it was just the overall energy and vibe I gathered during Kirk’s tenure. Sure, some of it was related to the drag out process of Kirk’s contract situation, but it seemed there was philosophical differences of how to approach the QB position. Jay made it public wanting Kirk to be more aggressive overall. 

Jay also stated even more times that he did not know what more Kirk needed to do to prove he was a franchise QB. And most of those times he talked about Kirk going down field more (which was really just a couple times), he said it kind of half kidding. He made many many more comments talking Kirk up. Did they agree on everything? No of course not. No two people that work that closely are going to agree 100%. But remember, Jay went with Scot to talk to Dan about starting Kirk over Robert. My impression was that they had a very good relationship. In the end I think he was more resigned to the fact Bruce had ****ed up the contract negotiation and just has lived with the results because he really had no choice. 

Jay doesn’t appear has process oriented as Kirk. I believe much of this comes down to how you roll in everyday life and Jay/Kirk are two totally different people. Now, I totally understand coaches and players don’t have to be wired the same, but Jay being a former QB and an offensive coach it certainly would help. It wasn’t terrible, they enjoyed some success, especially when Mccvay was with Kirk. 

I don't think they were as different as some made it out to be. But like i said above, no two people are going to agree on everything. For all outward appearances are that they had a great relationship which is why I asked about your comment about Jay not liking Kirk at the end. I think he just resigned himself to Kirk moving on. 

What are your thoughts on how each approach the game?

I think Kirk is OCD to max. This can be good but it can also be a problem in that he gets too tight when things don;t go the way he expects them. Jay is a bit more loose but as much as I like Jay, he struggles to change what he is doing in a game. In the end they are both that way but for different reasons.  

Go Haskins!

I have high hopes for Haskins. I was not a big fan of the pick to begin with but have been warming up to it. At least some of that like others was them moving up to get Sweat and not having to move up to get Haskins. So I didn't; hate it, just was not my first choice. But I really like his intangibles like film study habits, his ability to actually learn from his mistakes and show that on the field. he is learning really quickly to get through his reads. And I love that he will not just bail on a play if it's not there right away. He has some things to learn. Not going to regurgitate them as others have done a more eloquent job than I of pointing them out. 

So yea, Go Haskins!!!!  HTTR!!!! 

28 minutes ago, wit33 said:

These discussions make for great debate

Case is going to start so there's not much to debate anymore but I thought it was interesting to hear Cooley support starting Haskins when a large percentage of the local media as well ex-players have come out against it.

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Case is going to start so there's not much to debate anymore but I thought it was interesting to hear Cooley support starting Haskins when a large percentage of the local media as well ex-players have come out against it.

No doubt, it’s been clear in my view Haskins wasn’t starting. I was moreso referencing the larger debate whether to start a rookie right away or not or after a few games ... etc.. 

Go Keenum!

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Key word there is "they", and very wiley of you to sneak that in there...because you just know that Jay would have pushed for Colt to start, and "they" and the "group decision" would have voted him off.

I'm only half-kidding.

I'm not sure what Jay would have pushed.  Maybe he would have pushed for Colt.  But as I said earlier, I think Jay is coaching for his job this year and he's going to push for his best option.  If he feels that it's Case, then it's Case.  

21 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Idk..I like the situation we're in.

I'm pretty pleased with it.  We've got a guy who's been in the system for years and can win a game or two when healthy.  We've got a guy who's solid but not spectacular and can be a game manager.  And we've got a rookie with tremendous upside.  I feel like it's a decent floor with a pretty high ceiling in some respects.

Did Luck retire cause his o-line sucked for years and he was beat to hell and worn down?  Then a calf injury was enough to spiral him mentally?

Maybe that's a sign Haskins shouldn't start Week 1 until we figure out how to make Geron, Penn, Flowers, and Martin work.

Don't want to turn Haskins into the next Patrick Ramsey, Derek Carr, and now Luck.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:15 PM, volsmet said:

Giving rookie QBs two weeks to prepare makes more sense than sending them out each week to take the beatings Luck did. Just because everyone else does it poorly it doesn’t mean it’s the way to go. 

On 5/18/2019 at 1:15 AM, volsmet said:

With Haskins my priority is protecting him. I’d be aggressive getting NFL talent now that we have our QB on a rookie contract. If Haskins is protected, every other player on our team improves - the WRs have more time to get open, the D gets more rest - & hopefully faces more predictable offenses as we put points up - & the running game obviously gets better with the threat of a passing game. Protecting the young cheap QB is priority 1 right now, imo. Watson & Luck are both very athletic & each have almost been killed early in their careers, I’d be eager to learn from the mistakes those teams made.

This guy. He gets it.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:54 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Case struggles and Colt is healthy, he'll go in until he's hurt again.

I agree that this is likely how the season plays out but that got me thinking... the team can’t beat that mule (Colt) too much if they plan on having him resigned to back up Haskins next season. That is, unless we plan on having our $20M Alex Smith be his backup. 

3 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

I agree that this is likely how the season plays out but that got me thinking... the team can’t beat that mule (Colt) too much if they plan on having him resigned to back up Haskins next season. That is, unless we plan on having our $20M Alex Smith be his backup. 

If Jay is fired then there’s no reason to bring back Colt.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Don't want to turn Haskins into the next Patrick Ramsey, Derek Carr, and now Luck.

DeShaun Watson is next and it kills me.  Hurt so bad he had to take a bus to travel.

These guys are the toughest athletes in team sports and they're getting worn out.  Having a functional offensive line is a big deal.  Making sure your QB is ready to set his protections and read blitzes before you run him out there to get his head taken off is a big deal.  The longer we can sit Haskins, the better it will be for him.

24 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean everyone who is a fan wants Haskins to start but most know it’s not the best decision long term.

But when Case or Colt can't cut it after few games the front office will have Haskins in sooner than later regardless of OL situation.

Archived