Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

9 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Lot of Ron slander over him benching the statistically worst qb in the league

Ummmm folks are slandering Ron because we look like a JV team on BOTH sides of the ball. I guess you are OK with the on the field results. I’m not and don’t subscribe to the “it’s going to take time” narrative. If they looked half way decent and competent then OK but they are far from that.

1 minute ago, pico926 said:

Ummmm folks are slandering Ron because we look like a JV team on BOTH sides of the ball. I guess you are OK with the on the field results. I’m not and don’t subscribe to the “it’s going to take time” narrative. If they looked half way decent and competent then OK but they are far from that.

I’ll wait til after the Giants game to see where we’re at. Before the rams game we played well enough to be 2-2. I’ll give him a pass for the Rams because he had 2 qbs playing essential their first and only half of the season. But that game was pretty humiliating. If we do well against the giants that will be 3 out of 6 in competitive performances. I think Haskins apologists are just moving the goalposts on him. At first it was an evaluation year, now it’s about being good now. Hmmm

6 minutes ago, pico926 said:

Seems like the Haskins defense stuff has run out of gas so now you’re just running with your own narrative now about being mad about how bad we are, to justify the Rivera bashing (and there are plenty of valid criticisms, I acknowledge). But almost everyone here expected to be awful this year, so I don’t think most subscribe to this criticism of Ron. 

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I’ll wait til after the Giants game to see where we’re at. Before the rams game we played well enough to be 2-2. I’ll give him a pass for the Rams because he had 2 qbs playing essential their first and only half of the season. But that game was pretty humiliating. If we do well against the giants that will be 3 out of 6 in competitive performances. I think Haskins apologists are just moving the goalposts on him. At first it was an evaluation year, now it’s about being good now. Hmmm

I’m not a Haskins apologist. Sorry. I jus call it like it is. We lead the league in giving up plays over 40 yds. We lead the league in giving up plays over 50 yds. None of this is hearsay. It’s facts and stats don’t lie. 

I was calling the defense Manuskyess but that is giving Ron and Jack too much credit because they have the #1 defensive player drafted in 2020 draft and are giving up 30 points per game like clockwork. Moving the goal post? Man never seen standards so low. 

I’m with you on seeing what they do against the Giants. God help us if Jones carves them up.

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Seems like the Haskins defense stuff has run out of gas so now you’re just running with your own narrative now about being mad about how bad we are, to justify the Rivera bashing (and there are plenty of valid criticisms, I acknowledge). But almost everyone here expected to be awful this year, so I don’t think most subscribe to this criticism of Ron. 

So you expected these results 5 games in. Really? Low standards I guess. I expected him to field a semi competitive team. 1-4 would be acceptable if the team looked competent and competitive.

Take a look at Carolina. They jettisoned Ron, got a coach that knows offense and are off to a fast start. 

7 hours ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Such a terribly written article filled with so many logical fallacies it's hard to know where to start. Do any of those other positions have backups that are better that would help them win now? Or are the terrible players that are playing the best we have at the position? Rivera's point in benching Haskins was that he believes Allen can be better for the team and since the qb position is so important he wants to see if Kyle Allen can be the future at the position as either a starter or backup. Reporters ask questions about qbs they don't ask "Why are you starting a terrible left guard!!". That's why Rivera seems to talk so much about Haskins because he is asked about it all the time. 

I get it, some of you disagree with the article, but that article echoes EXACTLY what many, including myself came out and said after the initial benching and how it was handled. You guys may think this is not a valid article, youbcan have your opinions, but there are PLENTY of people with the outlook in this article, and we didn't meet up to pick on the mean old WFT nor do we worship Haskins like the exaggerated responses try to make it. Simple fact is that plenty of people who know football saw this as another loser culture move, and this article is one of the ones that breaks down how. You can find my posts right after the benching and scapegoating, and my perspective is pretty much word for word this article. 

"It'll be interesting to see who's next to walk the plank" was a perfect closer because we all know its true. We pick a new player to throw under the bus and scapegoat every year. As soon as Haskins is gone, we will be get back to destroying ourselves from within by picking a new scapegoat. That's the WFT way and I'm not the only one who sees it.

17 minutes ago, pico926 said:

So you expected these results 5 games in. Really? Low standards I guess. I expected him to field a semi competitive team. 1-4 would be acceptable if the team looked competent and competitive.

Yes, so here’s my secret—I watched the team last year and followed our offseason, with a side serving of watching other actual good teams play my entire life—so I was able to make the brilliant deduction that we’d be terrible this season and avoid the nasty surprise of having high expectations not met. 

We do not have an NFL WR corps, OL, TE  group, or LB group. And the secondary and QB room is questionable to put it lightly. This was true in August and it’s true now. 

5 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I get it, some of you disagree with the article, but that article echoes EXACTLY what many, including myself came out and said after the initial benching and how it was handled. You guys may think this is not a valid article, youbcan have your opinions, but there are PLENTY of people with the outlook in this article, and we didn't meet up to pick on the mean old WFT nor do we worship Haskins like the exaggerated responses try to make it. Simple fact is that plenty of people who know football saw this as another loser culture move, and this article is one of the ones that breaks down how. You can find my posts right after the benching and scapegoating, and my perspective is pretty much word for word this article. 

"It'll be interesting to see who's next to walk the plank" was a perfect closer because we all know its true. We pick a new player to throw under the bus and scapegoat every year. As soon as Haskins is gone, we will be get back to destroying ourselves from within by picking a new scapegoat. That's the WFT way and I'm not the only one who sees it.

What if we, gulp, went 0-3 in the next 3 games?

23 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes, so here’s my secret—I watched the team last year and followed our offseason, with a side serving of watching other actual good teams play my entire life—so I was able to make the brilliant deduction that we’d be terrible this season and avoid the nasty surprise of having high expectations not met. 

We do not have an NFL WR corps, OL, TE  group, or LB group. And the secondary and QB room is questionable to put it lightly. This was true in August and it’s true now. 

Right. You did exactly what Ron did. Watched in the off-season and did nothing to address the gaps oline, LB, safety, WR, etc. we could have you coach for free and had similar results. Brilliant!

28 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Oh and high expectations? I only expected some progression not regression. Here’s a little secret guy. Rebuilding doesn’t mean you have to suck just as bad or worse your 1st year in. I’m sure with all the years of you watching football you have seen many a team show this to be true. 

I’ve never seen such a nondescript, boring QB prospect cause such an uproar once he was benched.

Dwayne freaking Haskins. What does he do well? What is his elite trait or skill? What is warranting all the outrage? I’m perplexed. Ppl are willing to give up on Ron over DWAYNE HASKINS. A big arm stone foot QB. The same archetype that has become a joke on football twitter. What exactly are we missing out on by not developing him? A less mobile Jay Cutler? A rich man’s Paxton Lynch? Seriously? 

Im a veteran of the great RG3 v Kirk wars. We lost a lot of good men. But I could at least understand why ppl couldn’t let Bob go. He had elite traits. He had “it”. You saw it immediately. 

Haskins has nothing. He has a “big” arm. It’s not elite. He’s slow as ****. He doesn’t improvise. He doesn’t read defense exceptionally well. 

is it the Simba nickname? Are you guys just Lion King enthusiasts? Are you J Cole stans? Is it the sexy IG videos? Is it because he went to Ohio State? Can’t be because he’s “local” because he’d definitely not actually from here. He doesn’t act like it or embrace it (and those who know what I mean, know what I mean). Explain it to me please like I’m five years old. 

1 hour ago, pico926 said:

I’m not a Haskins apologist. Sorry. I jus call it like it is. We lead the league in giving up plays over 40 yds. We lead the league in giving up plays over 50 yds. None of this is hearsay. It’s facts and stats don’t lie. 

I was calling the defense Manuskyess but that is giving Ron and Jack too much credit because they have the #1 defensive player drafted in 2020 draft and are giving up 30 points per game like clockwork. Moving the goal post? Man never seen standards so low. 

Using 40 yard plays and 50 yard plays is an interesting stat choice, but I guess when you have to make a point you have to find the right stats. More conventional stats don't have us "that bad". Bad, but not that bad. Like there are 10 defenses that give up more points than our defense, and 17 teams that give up more yards per game. Given we've played some very good offensive teams it's not that bleak. The next 6 games will be more telling of where our defense stands. 

13 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Using 40 yard plays and 50 yard plays is an interesting stat choice, but I guess when you have to make a point you have to find the right stats. More conventional stats don't have us "that bad". Bad, but not that bad. Like there are 10 defenses that give up more points than our defense, and 17 teams that give up more yards per game. Given we've played some very good offensive teams it's not that bleak. The next 6 games will be more telling of where our defense stands. 

Agreed. The next 2-3 weeks will be a good measuring stick. 

The # of big plays surrendered are huge problem though. 

56 minutes ago, pico926 said:

Oh and high expectations? I only expected some progression not regression. Here’s a little secret guy. Rebuilding doesn’t mean you have to suck just as bad or worse your 1st year in. I’m sure with all the years of you watching football you have seen many a team show this to be true. 

If you actually want my opinion, I look for player effort and buy-in in year one of not only a rebuild but an attempt at sweeping culture change. I’m seeing that. I had disagreements with how they approached FA (and the draft honestly) as well in offseason 1, but I truly think he decided to just evaluate what we have in a very young roster year one and roll over a TON of cap space (along with extra draft picks in 2021) because he found it so hard to truly evaluate the guys who were loafing and lost under Gruden, by the end. This coming offseason he has a ton of cap space to play with and extra draft picks, that’s when stuff starts to get real. He has complete control and a guaranteed contract—I don’t think he’s worried about how we perform this year so much as seeing what he’s got to work with and compiling a list of “his guys” going forward who will buy in. That’s not going to be popular with all fans and yes, it is an approach open to criticism, because there are many ways to skin this particular cat. But I like that he’s taking a long view, and clearly has patience. Anyone who actually believes his “win now” excuse for the benching will disagree, but I think it’s clear he just doesn’t think Haskins is worth the team’s time the way he’s working. You notice we haven’t gotten any counter-leaks from players upset that he was benched. 

2 hours ago, pico926 said:

Joe Gibbs' first tenure started with 5 straight losses.  JKC was ready to fire him after the first 5 games.  We all know he didn't and we all know what happened after that start.  Joe was also inheriting a much better team for the time in 1981 than Ron has right now.  

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If you actually want my opinion, I look for player effort and buy-in in year one of not only a rebuild but an attempt at sweeping culture change. I’m seeing that. I had disagreements with how they approached FA (and the draft honestly) as well in offseason 1, but I truly think he decided to just evaluate what we have in a very young roster year one and roll over a TON of cap space (along with extra draft picks in 2021) because he found it so hard to truly evaluate the guys who were loafing and lost under Gruden, by the end. He has complete control and a guaranteed contract—I don’t think he’s worried about how we perform this year so much as seeing what he’s got to work with and compiling a list of “his guys” going forward who will buy in. That’s not going to be popular with all fans and yes, it is an approach open to criticism, because there are many ways to skin this particular cat. 

I hear you and good to know that I'm not alone in questioning the way the offseason was handled from a personnel perspective. I just can't wrap my mind around them going into this season with this roster unless they have every intention to tank intentionally. I mean the untrained eye could run the tape from 2019 and see that the LB's were no good and the OL needed a serious upgrade. 

I am also not a fan of the way the defensive game is being called. With LB's that can't cover we should be blitzing them more instead of sending 4 and exposing them to coverage. The offense is just offensive right now so no sense in diving in to that. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean, I don't know how you go to that point but ok. 

There is enough smoke (from multiple sources) to indicate Haskins work ethic and attitude is the main reason we are here right now discussing this issue.  I can read between the lines.

If he is working hard and being the consummate professional do you really think he goes from 1st to 3rd on the depth chart after a 300 yard passing game and no interceptions?      

4 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Joe Gibbs' first tenure started with 5 straight losses.  JKC was ready to fire him after the first 5 games.  We all know he didn't and we all know what happened after that start.  Joe was also inheriting a much better team for the time in 1981 than Ron has right now.  

Joe Gibbs was 40 years old and a first time coach. Sorry its not the same. Ron was brought here because of his experience and reputation. I'm going to dial back on the Ron/Jack/Scott criticism and let the next 2-3 weeks play out. We shall see.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’ve never seen such a nondescript, boring QB prospect cause such an uproar once he was benched.

Dwayne freaking Haskins. What does he do well? What is his elite trait or skill? What is warranting all the outrage? I’m perplexed. Ppl are willing to give up on Ron over DWAYNE HASKINS. A big arm stone foot QB. The same archetype that has become a joke on football twitter. What exactly are we missing out on by not developing him? A less mobile Jay Cutler? A rich man’s Paxton Lynch? Seriously? 

Im a veteran of the great RG3 v Kirk wars. We lost a lot of good men. But I could at least understand why ppl couldn’t let Bob go. He had elite traits. He had “it”. You saw it immediately. 

Haskins has nothing. He has a “big” arm. It’s not elite. He’s slow as ****. He doesn’t improvise. He doesn’t read defense exceptionally well. 

is it the Simba nickname? Are you guys just Lion King enthusiasts? Are you J Cole stans? Is it the sexy IG videos? Is it because he went to Ohio State? Can’t be because he’s “local” because he’d definitely not actually from here. He doesn’t act like it or embrace it (and those who know what I mean, know what I mean). Explain it to me please like I’m five years old. 

I think its mostly frustration boiling over that we have to go down this road again... With Dan meddling, and with us having no quarterback.

After Ramsey, after Brunell, after Campbell, McNabb, et al. I think we're all just tired.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So unless I’m missing something, you listed all position groups except for DL and RB. I’d argue RB is “ok” but nothing special yet.  Gibson might develop.  

So we have a good DL,

You need more than that to win games.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think its mostly frustration boiling over that we have to go down this road again... With Dan meddling, and with us having no quarterback.

After Ramsey, after Brunell, after Campbell, McNabb, et al. I think we're all just tired.

I think we can definitely all agree on this one.  I joined this website in 2004 after Joe came back.  I was so excited I was looking forward to talking with other fans about his return.  The prospects of becoming a winning elite team again.  Suffice to say, the next 16 years did not go at all like I expected.  Honestly, I think some fans are making the same mistake now with Ron and Haskins as they did with Shanahan and RG3.  They are again  taking the side of a rookie “done nothing” at this level over a proven professional football man in Ron.  I think history has certainly vindicated Mike Shanahan in that regard.  I firmly believe that history will vindicate Ron on how he is handling Haskins right now.  

Archived