Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

So, Dianna Russini was just on 106.7--saying that Haskins was the only interview Snyder sat in on. The pick is Allen's ultimately--he'll listen to Gruden (who was heavliy involved in research and tape watching, so he was heavily involved) and scouts. She spoke to several other teams looking for QBs--only Washington had him as the top QB. One coach called him a less athletic Josh Allen. So sounds like it was a Snyder pick and a lot of teams were down on him.

Just when I was warming up to Haskins...

I think this is an easy story to sell because it's believable and in keeping with the local media's recent theme of a desperate and exasperated Snyder re-injecting himself into the team's decision making process as a response to the overall lack of success.  We won't know whether it is a true one in whole or in part for a while, and probably not before we know whether Haskins is the guy or isn't, so it's up to everyone to decide where they fall and I can't blame anyone for taking the pessimistic bet when it comes to this team and Dan Snyder.

That said, I'll take every nugget like this I can get, and hope it's indicative that the group running our team are, if not on the same page, at least in the same chapter.

As each day goes by I am liking this Haskins pick less and less. I do not think he has the experience and maturity yet to handle adversity, especially in this market. Would have liked to see another year in college from him. Hope I'm wrong but based on what I've heard and read lately, other teams seemed to have picked up on this which is why no one else had him graded in the 1st. Looks like we once again have crowned ourselves offseason champs :(

6 minutes ago, Blue Ridger said:

As each day goes by I am liking this Haskins pick less and less. I do not think he has the experience and maturity yet to handle adversity, especially in this market. Would have liked to see another year in college from him. Hope I'm wrong but based on what I've heard and read lately, other teams seemed to have picked up on this which is why no one else had him graded in the 1st. Looks like we once again have crowned ourselves offseason champs :(

You mind elaborating on this, giving examples of what you've read that you dont like? Hes a potential franchise altering QB at 15, if he busts, he busts. If he becomes a great QB we just got a steal and didnt move up to draft him or use a top 5 pick. 

23 minutes ago, Blue Ridger said:

which is why no one else had him graded in the 1st. 

Based on everything I read leading up to the draft this isn't even remotely true.

I didn't see a single mock draft that had him anywhere but the first.

Edit, or were you referring to a traditional grade and feel that in next years draft he would have gone lower due to more higher graded quarterbacks coming out?

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

So, Dianna Russini was just on 106.7--saying that Haskins was the only interview Snyder sat in on. The pick is Allen's ultimately--he'll listen to Gruden (who was heavliy involved in research and tape watching, so he was heavily involved) and scouts. She spoke to several other teams looking for QBs--only Washington had him as the top QB. One coach called him a less athletic Josh Allen. So sounds like it was a Snyder pick and a lot of teams were down on him.

Just when I was warming up to Haskins...

Teams had Murray as the number one QB, who went 1st overall. Shocking. Literally means nothing.

24 minutes ago, Blue Ridger said:

What are you reading exactly? The media praise pre and post draft seems all but unanimous. In many of the mock drafts and rankings he was usually listed no lower than #2. All this praise and adoration has me feeling this will blow up in our face. This is why I was glad he didn't move up to get him.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Based on everything I read leading up to the draft this isn't even remotely true.

I didn't see a single mock draft that had him anywhere but the first.

Edit, or were you referring to a traditional grade and feel that in next years draft he would have gone lower due to more higher graded quarterbacks coming out?

He's referring to Russini going on 106.7 The Fan and stating none of the QB needy teams she talked to other than the Redskins had a first round grade on Haskins.

It is amazing to me the wild fluctuations in evaluating players when none of them have played a down in 4 months.  When last on the field Dwayne Haskins was winning the Rose Bowl going 25 for 37 with 3 touchdowns and no interceptions and was selected as the MVP of the Rose Bowl.  He threw 50 TDs in a single season.  I am excited to give this guy an opportunity to lead the Redskins,   Don't get caught up in all the he said she said from people who are paid to create controversy and fodder for talk TV and radio.  Kyler Murray is a great athlete, who in the right system, has the chance to be an exciting and dynamic playmaker; Dwayne Haskins fits our system much better and has the chance to be a great QB.  I fully believe the Redskins got the guy the wanted.  HTTR!

10 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Dwayne Haskins fits our system much better and has the chance to be a great QB.  I fully believe the Redskins got the guy the wanted.  HTTR!

He's not a guy that moves around in the pocket all that well. He's more of a pocket passer than anyone we've had. His feet aren't the best and he doesn't move laterally in the pocket well.

Now that that's out of the way:

He reads defenses well, doesn't fold under pressure and can sit in the pocket and deliver a very well placed strike. Athletically, he moves well in the sense that he can perform playaction type stuff. People confuse pocket mobility with general mobility. This guy moves better than a lot of people give him credit for outside of the pocket. 

There's nothing that this offense has done that he can't excel at. 

In fact, he adds an extra dimension to the offense that Gruden hasn't had: A legit down field passer. So the system will need to evolve in some ways.

Don't take this as me saying he's going to be an absolute stud or anything. That's not the kind of thing that's easy to project. But he's got the talent, physical skills and the system to do it.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

One coach called him a less athletic Josh Allen.

Not sure how this is a bad thing. Josh Allen is a good quarterback.

Beyond that "less athletic" is an interesting proposition. He doesn't use his legs as much as Allen does, which I like, because Allen puts his body on the line every play. They both have rocket arms. They're both charismatic guys.

I think Allen is going to wind up as one of the better QBs from last year's draft.

How much of JA have you seen, Rig? 

10 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Haskins is by far the best QB prospect the Redskins have ever had. Keep in mind I mean QB prospect and not athlete like RG3. He has a combination of arm talent, pocket presence, defensive manipulation, and leadership that you want in your guy.

I dont know about that. Schuler was a hell of a prospect. He obviously didnt pan out. But he had everything you were looking for when he was drafted. 

54 minutes ago, Blue Ridger said:

"We...ourselves"?  You are a Giants fan, so why bother with this breakdown?  You have a vested interest elsewhere and perhaps a prejudiced view regarding him.  Personally, I certainly like Haskins, and especially where he was picked, better than Mr. Jones.  Hail

9 hours ago, Alexa said:

I want to see Haskins be the starter TODAY. I don't give a damn. He's was not drafted to sit behind two journeymen with weak arms. He's young but if he get all the off season reps, then gets a ton of work in pre season he can be ready. A lot of the stuff they ran at Ohio State is in Jay's playbook. Who watches from the sideline and learns how to get better? No one does. The quicker he gets in there the better off this organization will be in the long run. 

That is my inclination as well.  Doing anything but playing him is delaying the inevitable and even Jay knows it. Now, it would be one thing if he hasn't grasped the offense at all, was weak mentally or physically - not ready.  But everything points to him being ready including experience running a pro style offense.

It's just up to Jay to put him into a place to succeed.  I suspect the only struggles he may have will be related to being converted to an under center QB, which is all about learning the footwork on drops, counting steps as second nature, learning to scan the field over his left shoulder while backing away from the LOS, and not having as good of a view to read the defense presnap. 

I am still not convinced that QBs need to master the footwork on drops to gain timing and rhythm etc. to be able to be a functioning QB in this league. Just because guys like Peyton and Brady mastered it into an art form, doesn't mean all QBs need to do it, nor even can do it. For those same elite QBs dominated when in shotgun (and possibly were even more dominant than under center - where are the gun stats??). The fact that rookie QBs like Kap Wilson and RG3 made the playoffs/bowls as new QBs is proof that spending 3 years on the sidelines working on drops and footwork is a waste of time and draft capital. 7th rounder, sure let him simmer. A first, if you cannot find a way to play them, then consider a new coach. That, or a new GM.

Sally smh...

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/dwayne-haskins-might-be-a-rookie-star-for-the-redskins-but-history-suggests-otherwise/2019/04/29/1caf36f2-6ab0-11e9-be3a-33217240a539_story.html?outputType=amp

The league done messed up,” Dwayne Haskins says. Actually, there’s a better than good chance that the Washington Redskins are the ones who messed up by taking Haskins in the first round of the NFL draft. You hope not. You hope this pleasant-seeming youth has a career to match the size of his deltoids and his daddy’s mouth. But he started just 14 college football games, and the main thing you notice when you look at him is his baby face.

The numbers show that when NFL teams draft a quarterback in the first round, they hit on a great one about 28 percent of the time. It’s not so much a question of whether the New York Giants “messed up” by passing on Haskins and picking Daniel Jones instead. Chances are, both teams made the wrong choice. The kindest thing anyone can do for Haskins is calibrate his presumptions of this brutally expedient profession he’s entering. His father is doing him no favors by predicting a Super Bowl, and Coach Jay Gruden isn’t, either, by promising he will get a crack at starting right away.

Twenty-eight percent — those are the odds that Haskins will turn out to be a franchise player, according to a Pro Football Outsiders study of quarterbacks chosen in the first round from 1994 to 2016. Quarterback success is a highly subjective metric, but if by “franchise player” you mean a guy who starts for multiple seasons, not just one or two, and takes you to the playoffs regularly, a Russell Wilson or Carson Palmer or even a Joe Flacco, then the success rate is just 16 of 57. Those are cold-water numbers that should cool expectations.

The Redskins wanted Dwayne Haskins. He wanted to be a Redskin. At the draft, it all worked out.

Here is some more cold water: Even the can’t-miss greats struggled as rookies. Maybe Haskins is the unprecedented 21-year-old whose quarterbacking mind is so superior he won’t need time to develop. Maybe he is a marvel of neuroscience whose perceptual brain messaging is so swift that, after just 14 college starts, he can enter the NFL and understand the personnel he’s looking at; recognize all the formations and what they mean probability-wise; scan one-on-one matchups; assess the quirks, stances and speeds of veteran players; remember all the tendencies of the opposing team’s system; and check his protection and decide whether he needs to get out of a bad play-call and into an audible. All in less than 30 seconds.

Peyton Manning’s team went 3-13 as rookie. Troy Aikman’s went 1-15. John Elway was benched with twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. Jared Goff was 0-7 as a rookie starter; Carson Wentz, 7-9. Maybe Haskins is better than all those guys.

Then again, maybe the best quarterbacks of the 2019 class haven’t even shown themselves yet. Remember: Wilson and Nick Foles were the sixth and seventh quarterbacks chosen in 2012 — third-rounders. That’s how difficult it is to predict who can really play in this league.

It’s so tempting to view Haskins as a ready-made solution to the Redskins’ problems based on that broad, mature physique of 6-foot-3 and 231 pounds, and the spectacular numbers at Ohio State, throwing for 50 touchdowns and a 70 percent completion rate last season. But still another set of cold analytics suggests that Haskins will be a project.

Analysis: Washington gets its quarterback of the future, then focuses around him

A data analysis from FiveThirtyEightgave him a 63 percent probability-of-success rating but noted a couple of red flags, including his yards per attempt and depth of targets, which were on the lower side (as were Jones’s). Also, he was not as accurate throwing against NFL-based nickel and dime defensive packages. We’ve seen quarterbacks with high percentages in college struggle to have the same impact in the NFL. Robert Griffin III was a 72 percent thrower in his final year at Baylor. The previous guy to throw for 50 collegiate TDs was Sam Bradford in 2008.

What makes an NFL quarterback is not what he has done up to now. It’s how he deals with the league once he’s in it, once he experiences the inevitable reversals, the interceptions, the collapsing pockets, the holes in the talent around him, the schemes with which he feels uncomfortable, the instability of NFL coaching staffs, the impatience of management and the chilling realization that nobody gives one lace on a football whether he’s a nice kid or not.

There is a guy already in the house for the Redskins who will be entering the season without the sack of rocks that has been put on Haskins’s back in the way of expectations. Case Keenum was never drafted at all. But he can play this game: His Minnesota Vikings racked up 13 wins and reached the NFC championship game in the 2017 season. If Haskins is smart, he will learn from Keenum, whose experience in the league is the far more common one: He’s on his fifth team in seven years. That’s how quickly teams grow discontented and move on from you, once they decide they “done messed up.”

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

You trying to get me banned?

Lol.

I can't mention his name in the stadium.

He was not a down field passing threat. He, of course, delivered some great balls downfield. He wasn't a bad downfield passer. But Haskins is better at long ball accuracy. 

Cousins (I actually presume he's okay to discuss by name here because it's not being used in the popular ways, if not I will edit his name out of my post and speak only on his play/technique, mods let me know please!) did a lot of things very well. Protecting the ball, getting rid of the ball on time, reading a defense for the majority of the ball game. Those were all strengths of his. He threw pretty damn accurately, to the point of absurdity, on short and most intermediate stuff. Without going into his negatives, as that's not my point here, he's a good quarterback.

But his long ball isn't the same as what I've seen from Haskins.

Maybe that changes at this level. Maybe it doesn't.

Now tbh, I am NOT one of the board mavens that lives and breathes this stuff daily and I have no illusions about my knowledge of the subject, which is why I read here and elsewhere to try and get up to speed and understand, but I simply do not get a lot of the criticisms flying around. I think I have watched every available video of Haskins, including his HS play, and I am seeing some consistently impressive attributes from this kid. He is constantly looking downfield, quickly reading the plays as they develop and looking for his shot, and when he does he acts! I am likin' the smooth, quick, compact release he has, he puts it where he wants,not just lobbin' it up for a WR to make a play on. His passes look consistently deliberate, nice spiral, nice touch, I've seen him rifle it in there and drop it right over a defender. To me he seems intent on the pass downfield, he moves laterally, aware of the LOS and backside pressure but looking for a receiver. He's decisive.

The whole "doesn't move around well" stuff needs to be explained to me. Moves plenty, not a lot, not too much, never seems to be focused on his moving but avoids a rush, slides to open a lane or get the angle on his target downfield but this kid is a QB, looking to make QB plays, not some hybrid QB/RB player. Yeah, he'll never be Vick, he'll never rip off 70+ like RG3 did to the Vikes, but that isn't his game. 

I have to wonder just how much of the skepticism and cynicism surrounding this is Eeyore fan angst that has been rendered incapable of hope by decades of Skins abuse (which I admit to suffering from myself) or something else.................

Archived