Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Dwayne Haskins will benefit from the same source that Patrick Mahomes did, as Alex Smith will be around.  I've heard analysts talking about how Haskins won't benefit from playing behind Case or McCoy.  I agree.  He's going to benefit from learning from Alex Smith and Kevin O'Connell.  It has nothing to do with Case or McCoy. 

I agree with you that a rookie would benefit from listening to Alex Smith and I am of the opinion Haskins would also profit from watching McCoy or Keenum play in 2019.  Colt McCoy knows how to run Gruden's offense so I think Haskins would learn from watching the offense being properly executed.   I assume Case Keenum would run Gruden's offense well also if the Skins start with him.   I don't know what Haskins can do but I don't want him thrown out in a sink or swim fashion especially if the OL breaks down again this year.

4 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

When I hear "extremely quick and accurate on short and intermediate passes", I think: Tom Brady.  Dude built a GOAT, HOF career on short and intermediate routes. 

And does that with quick reads and decisive throws, he doesn't waste any time back there. I've been watching Haskins and he has the same kinda vibe, read, read, look the safety off, BAM!

37 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Dwayne Haskins will benefit from the same source that Patrick Mahomes did, as Alex Smith will be around.  I've heard analysts talking about how Haskins won't benefit from playing behind Case or McCoy.  I agree.  He's going to benefit from learning from Alex Smith and Kevin O'Connell.  It has nothing to do with Case or McCoy. 

I don't think that's quite right.  Mahomes got to be around Smith on the field during games, during practice, saw how he did reps and the like.

I think with IR rules, Smith can't be on the team's practice field, work with coaches, etc.  He can be at the team facility, but as far as I know, he's not allowed to be with the regular players during normal sessions.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The dude is brutally honest.  If you go through his film reviews of their first down-3rd down offense he's actually brutal on Jay's play calling.  And hey I like Jay. And it's clear he likes Jay, too.  So it doesn't flow with what I'd want to hear.  But I want Cooley to be honest and give his opinion.  And even if you don't agree with the dude he's informative.  He broke down every time for example they throw a screen last year was 3rd and long and a ton of info like that.  I don't have time to chart plays like that.  So i find his material enjoyable.  I can care less if his opinion doesn't always jive with the Redskins scouting department or my own opinion.  

Just saw this article by Football Outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/third-down-and-air-yards

So...if we threw a ton of screens on 3rd and long, then.  Ugh.  Are the coaches incapable of self-evaluation and adjusting to what doesn't work?  Makes it seem like they are unbelievably stubborn, and foolish with how well they think their playcalls actually succeed.

35 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I agree with you that a rookie would benefit from listening to Alex Smith and I am of the opinion Haskins would also profit from watching McCoy or Keenum play in 2019.  Colt McCoy knows how to run Gruden's offense so I think Haskins would learn from watching the offense being properly executed.   I assume Case Keenum would run Gruden's offense well also if the Skins start with him.   I don't know what Haskins can do but I don't want him thrown out in a sink or swim fashion especially if the OL breaks down again this year.

i agree mostly. I would prefer to see Haskins come in mid season IF we aren't sitting there with a good record. However, if the man truly wins the competition in camp/preseason, let him get to work week 1 and learn that way as well. I don't necessarily think our QB's will be the issue next year. I have a feeling it may be the rest of the offense, mainly receivers, potentially RBs if we have any injuries.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

As far as learning what it takes to prepare and work as a Pro QB in the NFL, Alex Smith is a consummate pro. That's an asset for Haskins.  I'm under the assumption that with Kevin O'Connell as Offensive Coordinator that this offense will look a bit different then it has in the past. I would expect to see improvement in balancing the packages as well as more options for larger chunk plays based on what the defense is showing.  Looking for O'Connell to make some adjustments moving forward.

As far as Haskins being a day 1 starter, if the competition is close, there's no reason to wait on him.  He's proven that he will get better with experience and you don't get that holding a clip board.  Since we can't predict injuries, the increased depth on the OL should help, but the Skins Training Facility and under staffed trainers still have not been addressed. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think that's quite right.  Mahomes got to be around Smith on the field during games, during practice, saw how he did reps and the like.

I think with IR rules, Smith can't be on the team's practice field, work with coaches, etc.  He can be at the team facility, but as far as I know, he's not allowed to be with the regular players during normal sessions.

The benefits to having Alex Smith mentor a rookie like Haskins doesn't have to be on the practice field. Alex Smith will be in the facility and is allowed to attend meetings.  Smith can show Haskins how he prepares as a Pro QB and help him with everything that he needs before he steps onto the field.  Obviously Alex Smith isn't going to be walking anytime soon nor likely ever going to play or even practice again.  I think you missed the point.  Why don't you listen to Bruce Allen say it:

7 minutes ago, mcdonaldrw said:

So funny that everyone is talking about Haskins sitting for a year to learn Grudens system.  Does anyone out there see the team making enough of a turn around to see Gruden back next year?  Or will it be a new system in place next year?

There’s just as little reason to think otherwise

8 minutes ago, mcdonaldrw said:

So funny that everyone is talking about Haskins sitting for a year to learn Grudens system.  Does anyone out there see the team making enough of a turn around to see Gruden back next year?  Or will it be a new system in place next year?

This is off topic here. 

Gruden's known to be on the Hot Seat with O'Connell in the wings.

So I brought this up earlier and was told he sat for two years behind JT barret.

What I want to know now is if haskins had shown so much potential why didn't he beat out barrett for the starting job.

If he sat behind Andrew luck I'd feel a whole lot better about that explanation, but who the hell is JT barrett?

Just now, redskinss said:

So I brought this up earlier and was told he sat for two years behind JT barret.

What I want to know now is if haskins had shown so much potential why didn't he beat out barrett for the starting job.

If he sat behind Andrew luck I'd feel a whole lot better about that explanation, but who the hell is JT barrett?

4 year starter.  Redshirt rookie wasn't going to displace him.

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don't understand your thoughts on being "Evasive", like Brady?  Maybe like Manning ? What QB does he need to be as evasive of?

I was referring to lateral movement.  That quick side-step to evade pressure coming right at him from the middle.  I didn't see much of it on film; to be fair that doesn't mean he can't do it - I'd just like to see it in a game.  His film shows a lot a lot of clean pockets.  He can step up which is good.  He's a big kid and I know that will be a factor but if we want him to last then he needs to avoid contact as much as possible.  

I do like his football acumen and he won't have a problem relaying Jay's wordy play calls.  The kid is always talking like he's got some place to be.  That's a good thing for a QB.  If he shows me that he can avoid quick, in your face pressures then I'm confident he'll be fine.  I wouldn't bootleg him though until he at least got below 230. 

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

4 year starter.  Redshirt rookie wasn't going to displace him.

I know almost nothing about college football and I'm sure that's probably a normal thing it just seems strange to me that this extremely talented young quarterback had to sit for two years behind someone who didn't even get drafted.

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I know almost nothing about college football and I'm sure that's probably a normal thing it just seems strange to me that this extremely talented young quarterback had to sit for two years behind someone who didn't even get drafted.

They had a program in place that was in full motion with JT Barrett as a Heisman front runner...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/jt-barrett-ohio-state-buckeyes-comeback-penn-state-heisman-trophy-front-runner-saquon-barkley/1askbxyhcyz5m1irk0snecqa8d

Then Barret got hurt:

https://www.businessinsider.com/urban-meyer-says-jt-barrett-injured-by-cameraman-vows-full-investigation-2017-11

They were hoping that Haskins would Redshirt then they'd have him for two years to continue the system that was in place.  Haskins had a great year and then entered the draft.  Messed up their plans for sure.

24 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

They had a program in place that was in full motion with JT Barrett as a Heisman front runner...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/jt-barrett-ohio-state-buckeyes-comeback-penn-state-heisman-trophy-front-runner-saquon-barkley/1askbxyhcyz5m1irk0snecqa8d

Then Barret got hurt:

https://www.businessinsider.com/urban-meyer-says-jt-barrett-injured-by-cameraman-vows-full-investigation-2017-11

They were hoping that Haskins would Redshirt then they'd have him for two years to continue the system that was in place.  Haskins had a great year and then entered the draft.  Messed up their plans for sure.

I agree with Redskinss - I can't picture a future Peyton Manning sitting on the bench because there was a program in place for a future undrafted NFL practice squad member. If Haskins is a top tier NFL talent, and JT Barrett is a future undrafted practice squad member, the coach should recognize that immediately and start the better player. Seems like an extremely odd decision.

I wonder if there are many 1st round NFL QBs who sat behind guys who ended up not getting drafted?

5 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

I agree with Redskinss - I can't picture a future Peyton Manning sitting on the bench because there was a program in place for a future undrafted NFL practice squad member. If Haskins is a top tier NFL talent, and JT Barrett is a future undrafted practice squad member, the coach should recognize that immediately and start the better player. Seems like an extremely odd decision.

I wonder if there are many 1st round NFL QBs who sat behind guys who ended up not getting drafted?

I think a lot of guys who feel like they have a shot of going to the NFL will generally transfer. Russell Wilson transferred from NC State to Wisconsin in order to keep starting.

4 hours ago, Otis Wonsley Posse said:

It’s reins not reigns. Haskins will start or Gruden can pack up now 

I say it is reign...who cares about taking over the rein on a horse, but rather the reign of the empire of the Redskins. Too much Game of Thrones for me lately? 

Somebody needs to throat punch Joe Theismann.

Sorry THEESMAN, not taking grammatical advice from anyone who changed the pronunciation of his last name to rhyme with Heisman. What should he have said...

"The league hath made an error!"

Give him 7 and pipe it down Joe. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He can watch tape. 

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

JT Barrett ran Meyer's spread system very well.  

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

He was redshirted one season, then did sit behind the Sr QB who was a Heisman Trophy candidate and a two time Bowl Game Offensive MVP, 3 time All Big Ten, among other accolades.

It's not unusual at all for a very talented under-classman to sit behind a JR/SR QB who knows the system and is very successful. JT Barrett was a very good college QB but does not have an NFL game.

Drew Brees sat behind Billy Dicken his freshman season before becoming a 3 yr starter. If DIcken had another year of eligibility, Brees may have sat another year. DIcken engineered the first winning season and a bowl game is years under new HC Joe Tiller. He never even sniffed the NFL - At least Barrett made a practice squad. That's just one example. 

In other words, there is literally nothing to be gathered from Haskins playing behind Barrett.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He was redshirted one season, then did sit behind the Sr QB who was a Heisman Trophy candidate and a two time Bowl Game Offensive MVP, 3 time All Big Ten, among other accolades.

It's not unusual at all for a very talented under-classman to sit behind a JR/SR QB who knows the system and is very successful. JT Barrett was a very good college QB but does not have an NFL game.

Drew Brees sat behind Billy Dicken his freshman season before becoming a 3 yr starter. If DIcken had another year of eligibility, Brees may have sat another year. DIcken engineered the first winning season and a bowl game is years under new HC Joe Tiller. He never even sniffed the NFL - At least Barrett made a practice squad. That's just one example. 

In other words, there is literally nothing to be gathered from Haskins playing behind Barrett.

Who was Carson Wentz behind for two years?   The immortal Brock Jensen.   Now, it's fair to say Haskins draft grade would have been significantly higher than Wentz had he played another year to shed the inexperience negatives, but Wentz was ok, right?   Well, I mean, he played at NDSU so maybe not, but he BECAME ok, right?   Eli Manning played behind Romaro Miller for a year, right?   Who's that?   The guy who started over Eli.   Josh Allen sat behind Cameron Coffman.   Hell, did Peyton even start RIGHT away.   I seem to recall Todd Helton or someone there delaying his kingdom?   Barrett was a four year starter and leader on a very good team.   There's no shame sitting behind him and then getting a chance and being better than anyone, in college, in that conference, EVER.

Archived