Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I wonder if they roll out Smith and Allen next year and make a pitch to get Rodgers over here in 2022 right when the team is in that sweet spot in terms of the young talent being in their absolute prime. I know it goes against my belief of not wanting retreads from other teams, but Rodgers is one of the few that I'd consider. Maybe lure Devonte Adams after next year when he's a FA. Imagine this defense with an offense featuring Terry, Adams, Rodgers and Gibson? I too like to deal in the fantasy realm every now and then lol.

Lmao I mean I would cream if we got Rodgers at 39. That's 4-5 years of elite, HoF level QB play frankly. Then again, I'm one of the posters who would be thrilled to get Stafford at 32. :D 

I am really intrigued about getting FitzMagic and making a play to draft Lance, though. And pitching to Fitz that hey, we want this to be your team for the whole year, we're not trying to pull a Tua on you.

When you take into account cap, team readiness to compete, roster construction and where we are in terms of the future of the QB position, Fitz is starting to make a lot of sense.

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Lmao I mean I would cream if we got Rodgers at 39. That's 4-5 years of elite, HoF level QB play frankly. Then again, I'm one of the posters who would be thrilled to get Stafford at 32. :D 

I am really intrigued about getting FitzMagic and making a play to draft Lance, though. And pitching to Fitz that hey, we want this to be your team for the whole year, we're not trying to pull a Tua on you.

When you take into account cap, team readiness to compete, roster construction and where we are in terms of the future of the QB position, Fitz is starting to make a lot of sense.

I love Fitz but he's not someone you can win playoff games with. The more I look at the numbers, it's clear GB will want to get out of that Aaron contract after 2021. They'll probably want Love starting by then (year 3 in 2020) and they won't want the drama associated with paying Rodgers 38 million to be a back-up. I assume Adams will want to follow Rodgers seeing as his deal is up in 2021. Regardless, I assume those two end up together elsewhere as a sort of packaged deal. With Smith retired by then, no Kerrigan either plus still ample cap room, I would be very intrigued at whether or not this is something to be considered. 

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Need to fix the o-line first.  Part of the reason he retired was that he was getting beat up. 

What we've had this year is miles better than anything Luck ever had in Indy.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I love Fitz but he's not someone you can win playoff games with.

In all fairness, he's never been to the playoffs so hard to say whether he's the kind of guy who'd step his game up in January or not. 

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Andrew Luck is just chilling.

Stafford is just 1.5 yrs older than Luck and has only missed ~2 more games than Luck despite playing three more seasons. And he also didn't retire due to having lost passion for the game. which probably makes him more likely to be available. Just saying...

Edited by CapsSkins

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

In all fairness, he's never been to the playoffs so hard to say whether he's the kind of guy who'd step his game up in January or not. 

True, but hard to get excited about a near 40 year old on his 23rd team. I love the dude but right now he's the quintessential back-up that every team should want, but also the QB you never want starting.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

True, but hard to get excited about a near 40 year old on his 23rd team. I love the dude but right now he's the quintessential back-up that every team should want, but also the QB you never want starting.

Probably true. If you can't get Stafford or Ryan, though, I think you gotta consider him. I just don't see Alex returning at this point with his leg sadly. Turns out when you lose a chunk of your calf, it doesn't really hold up so well under the stress of NFL football. Who knew! 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What went through you all's mind, when you saw Haskins trotting onto the field toward Heinicke ?

Like, "What is this, some sort of trick play ?"

I thought that, and then I thought also "Oh no, is Heinicke hurt ?"

Or did anyone actually think Heinicke was getting benched at that point ?

I thought for a second, maybe they're gonna try Haskins out as Terrell Pryor 2.0 lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I thought for a second, maybe they're gonna try Haskins out as Terrell Pryor 2.0 lol

Pryor is actually way more athletic.

I cannot envision Haskins playing any other positions.

But I can understand the impulse thought, due to the shock

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe he, Taylor and Logan were gonna do one of those Harlem Globetrotter routines where they kept passing the ball around like a hot potato until one of them just threw it. 

15 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Probably true. If you can't get Stafford or Ryan, though, I think you gotta consider him. I just don't see Alex returning at this point with his leg sadly. Turns out when you lose a chunk of your calf, it doesn't really hold up so well under the stress of NFL football. Who knew! 

You learn something new everyday!

• Haha 1

I think Haskins psyched himself out. I don't know that he has ever had a great game, but that was by far his worst game and it came at the worst time for several reasons. The team needed him and his reputation needed him. I don't know if he played himself out of the league, but that was as bad a choke as you'll ever see.

I thought he was praying on that shot of him with his eyes closed on the sideline. That or maybe he was meditating and trying to get his head right. He knew this was his last moment and he put the world on his shoulders. His early passes looked like he was trying to be Superman. He wanted to be the hero who won the game with dazzling bombs and proved everyone wrong. The moment was too big for him. Haskins couldn't overcome being Haskins.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I thought we Turner was going to try a "mildcat" formation with Hask lined up in the slot...  LOL

• Haha 1

One reason why we failed so often going from one FA bandage to another under Snyder is that there is no greater asset to a team than a productive player on a rookie contract. Specifically, a talented rookie QB on a rookie contract is the beginning of a window, because it is during this time frame that assets can be added under the cap before extentions are required. The Chiefs could afford all that talent of theirs because Mahomes wasn't the highest paid player in football. But now? Well, the bill on those offensive weapons will come due soon enough. 

It's reasonable to want a veteran bandage QB to start ahead of whoever it is we draft at QB this year. But once that veteran clears the books, we need our young QB to be good, and we need to build around him quickly. 2-4 years and all of a sudden you've got to pay the most expensive player on your team what they're worth. And the bill for our elite DL will have long since come up by then. 

If you can't land on a cheap 3-5 year solution at QB, your championship window is very small. We haven't in my lifetime. 

Edited by Bacon

6 hours ago, celticsalmon said:

Haskins is not and NFL starting QB- (CFL - Soring League?) BUT since DH was Snyder's pick at 15 - he gottoa rolls with the hand he was dealt!  Although I pin this loss on the Riverboat- perhaps he was making his point- Number 7 is NOIT our qb

He definitely may have been driving the point home today to address what is needed to win. I mean...Heinicke was a 200% improvement over Haskins immediately. I dont know if Heinicke is actually good yet, but he earned a spot on the team way more than Haskins. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe Ron was just driving it home to Snyder how bad his drafted QB is, so we can cut ties without him ****ing.

I don't think that idea is that crazy.  I noticed some of Haskins' typical defenders like Sheehan were going on about Haskins' 2nd half performance last week.   So I can just imagine Dan.  Dan's man crush on Haskins is well publicized including the fact that his scouting staff/Kyle Smith didn't agree with him.  So running Haskins out would be a major ego blow probably for Dan.  I couldn't find again but I recall the article from Keim that talked about how Dan would tell people that Haskins is the best player in college during that season.  Dan had a lot of ego invested in Haskins probably more so than even RG3. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/40858/dwayne-haskins-rough-day-in-loss-leaves-his-washington-future-in-doubt

If that's his final play in Washington, it would sum up his career so far. Washington owner Dan Snyder was the leading force behind wanting to draft him with the 15th overall pick in 2019, against the advice of his coaches and scouts. Numerous coaches and others in the organization have said consistently over his two seasons that Haskins needed to take a more mature approach if he wanted to succeed in the NFL, doing more during the week to prepare, for example.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/28276910/what-went-wrong-redskins-president-bruce-allen-next

At the time of the NFL draft last April, multiple sources said it became a foregone conclusion Snyder and Allen wanted Haskins. Snyder sat in on the interview with the Buckeyes QB at the scouting combine. As one staffer said, "There was no point arguing with the owner and the president."

...Snyder has fondness for Haskins...."You loved being there, loved the relationships you had there, but outside the friendships and relationships, you see that, man, it's a toxic place," said former Redskins linebacker Will Compton, who played in Washington from 2013 through 2017. "It's hard to be successful with what goes on and what's allowed. A lot more goes into it than just being a solid team. You've got to endure a lot of s--- at Redskins Park."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/washington_owner_dan_snyder_led_the_charge_to_draft_dwayne_haskins/s1_14819_30942287

Allen was also believed to be on the side of drafting Dwayne Haskins, but John Keim and Jason Reid of ESPN.com write Snyder appeared to lead that charge — even though the owner once criticized for his big-ticket moves has contributed less input on that front in recent years. Some in Washington’s building placed a third-round grade on Haskins, per Keim and Reid. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/dwayne-haskins-is-a-favorite-of-dan-snyder-and-weve-seen-where-that-can-lead/2019/12/23/67d3d91e-25a7-11ea-ad73-2fd294520e97_story.html

On Sunday against the New York Giants, Moses limped off the field with an injured knee, just two plays after quarterback Dwayne Haskins sprained his ankle to open the second half. Haskins went to the locker room for X-rays, where he met Snyder, who had hurried down from the owner’s suite full of solicitousness.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think that idea is that crazy.  I noticed some of Haskins' typical defenders like Sheehan were going on about Haskins' 2nd half performance last week.   So I can just imagine Dan.  Dan's man crush on Haskins is well publicized including the fact that his scouting staff/Kyle Smith didn't agree with him.  So running Haskins out would be a major ego blow probably for Dan.  I couldn't find again but I recall the article from Keim that talked about how Dan would tell people that Haskins is the best player in college during that season.  Dan had a lot of ego invested in Haskins probably more so than even RG3. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/40858/dwayne-haskins-rough-day-in-loss-leaves-his-washington-future-in-doubt

If that's his final play in Washington, it would sum up his career so far. Washington owner Dan Snyder was the leading force behind wanting to draft him with the 15th overall pick in 2019, against the advice of his coaches and scouts. Numerous coaches and others in the organization have said consistently over his two seasons that Haskins needed to take a more mature approach if he wanted to succeed in the NFL, doing more during the week to prepare, for example.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/28276910/what-went-wrong-redskins-president-bruce-allen-next

At the time of the NFL draft last April, multiple sources said it became a foregone conclusion Snyder and Allen wanted Haskins. Snyder sat in on the interview with the Buckeyes QB at the scouting combine. As one staffer said, "There was no point arguing with the owner and the president."

...Snyder has fondness for Haskins...."You loved being there, loved the relationships you had there, but outside the friendships and relationships, you see that, man, it's a toxic place," said former Redskins linebacker Will Compton, who played in Washington from 2013 through 2017. "It's hard to be successful with what goes on and what's allowed. A lot more goes into it than just being a solid team. You've got to endure a lot of s--- at Redskins Park."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/washington_owner_dan_snyder_led_the_charge_to_draft_dwayne_haskins/s1_14819_30942287

Allen was also believed to be on the side of drafting Dwayne Haskins, but John Keim and Jason Reid of ESPN.com write Snyder appeared to lead that charge — even though the owner once criticized for his big-ticket moves has contributed less input on that front in recent years. Some in Washington’s building placed a third-round grade on Haskins, per Keim and Reid. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/dwayne-haskins-is-a-favorite-of-dan-snyder-and-weve-seen-where-that-can-lead/2019/12/23/67d3d91e-25a7-11ea-ad73-2fd294520e97_story.html

On Sunday against the New York Giants, Moses limped off the field with an injured knee, just two plays after quarterback Dwayne Haskins sprained his ankle to open the second half. Haskins went to the locker room for X-rays, where he met Snyder, who had hurried down from the owner’s suite full of solicitousness.

I get that Arthur Blank pushing Vick around in a wheelchair vibe and I don't like it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Need to fix the o-line first.  Part of the reason he retired was that he was getting beat up. 

Believe it or not if I recall pass blocking is ranked top 5 in the league according to PFF.  It looks worse when Haskins plays I presume because he's not as decisive and isn't as familar with protections.  It looks better with Alex and Kyle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What went through you all's mind, when you saw Haskins trotting onto the field toward Heinicke ?

Like, "What is this, some sort of trick play ?"

I thought that, and then I thought also "Oh no, is Heinicke hurt ?"

Or did anyone actually think Heinicke was getting benched at that point ?

My first thought was he was <MOD EDIT, NO POLITICS IN THE STADIUM> refusing to leave. I'm serious, it's getting that weird.  

Edited by thesubmittedone

Dan probably wouldn't have been aggressive in his pursuit of Haskins had he maintained any semblance of confidence in a fifth-year Jay Gruden and a tenth-year Bruce Allen, both of whom contributed in the near-complete erosion of fan interest by the end of 2018. I'm not excusing Dan for the pick but I can see why at that particular point all restraint withered away and his natural inclination to meddle reached a fever pitch.

None of that matters now. Haskins is history and we have to hope Alex has a strong practice and can suit up.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic