Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

So, on Wednesday, when Rivera praised Steven Montez — an undrafted free agent who's been with the team as a practice squadder since not being selected in April's event — some people were quick to wonder if the assessment had anything to do with Dwayne Haskins.

First, here's how the coach evaluated Montez, who is on Washington's "protected list" this week as a "security move", meaning another franchise can't sign him to their roster.

"He's a young quarterback, he's got some good, natural athleticism to him," Rivera began. "Very strong arm, he has the ability to make all kinds of throws. He's got to work on his touch — he's got a 90-mile an hour fastball and an 89-mile an hour fastball, so there's not a lot of difference in the way he throws the ball."

That's all pretty standard stuff. The following quotes, on the other hand, may not be.

"Very smart, very bright," Rivera continued. "He spends the time studying, doing the things that you want young quarterbacks to do in terms of developing habits, good habits. He's kind of followed Kyle and Alex around an awful lot and I think a little bit is rubbing off on him."

For comparison's sake, here is how Rivera answered a Monday question about what Haskins can learn from Alex Smith, the Burgundy and Gold's current starter.

"Again, it’s really about how to prepare, how to take what you’re getting — the information that you’re getting — how to disseminate it and then how to transfer it onto the field," he said. "Again, my example of coming in early, meeting with the coaches, meeting with the other quarterbacks, having discussions, talking about what you’re seeing and not seeing. Just studying and preparing."

"He’s got to continue to grow on and become a more astute player and student of the game," Rivera also said.

So, is Rivera trying to get Haskins' attention by lauding Montez's preparation just a few days after explaining that he wanted to see Haskins prepare more? It's certainly possible, and a conclusion many fans, analysts and others will make.

However, only Rivera truly knows whether he was merely acknowledging Montez's work ethic or if there was another motive behind his remarks. Regardless, they do add another layer to an already layered conversation, one that will hopefully end one day with Washington actually finding its answer under center. Until then, these stories will keep existing. 

Rivera is trying his hardest to prod and poke at Haskins to get that positive reaction.

I mean I can understand him losing out to Allen. I always felt Allen was that threat from the start. But that slide down to #3, and now with Allen out we’ve got Montez getting talked up, bloody hell Haskins wake up. It’s borderline embarrassing at this stage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
29 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera is trying his hardest to prod and poke at Haskins to get that positive reaction.

I mean I can understand him losing out to Allen. I always felt Allen was that threat from the start. But that slide down to #3, and now with Allen out we’ve got Montez getting talked up, bloody hell Haskins wake up. It’s borderline embarrassing at this stage. 

Didn't Haskins' college coach say he responded best to being challenged?  I think RR is turning up the tension.

12 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Didn't Haskins' college coach say he responded best to being challenged?  I think RR is turning up the tension.

Yeah Rivera is definitely trying to get some fire under Haskins.

I personally think it’s a long shot at this stage, I’m inclined to think Haskins simply can’t be arsed putting the extra miles in. No doubt it’s a hell of a task, question is does he want to work hard enough to be a great, well even a very good, starting NFL QB?

It would be great to be proven wrong by Haskins though. At least we’ll pretty much know the answer to that for good by the turn of the year.

• Like 1

Ron is 100% testing Haskins to see how he will react to being taken down a notch. I am not as optimistic that he will respond positively to the challenge though. In my opinion, Haskins seemed apprehensive about being drafted here in the first place. He was a Giants fan growing up so that insinuated to me he was one of the locals who already didn't think well of the home team. If he was already jaded against this franchise, I'm not sure at his age he will respond positively to being aired out this much. Haskins is at a crossroads, and he will have to crush his ego to respond positively to this. I'll be pleasantly surprised if responds the right way. I think much more likely, in his mind, he is looking forward to moving on. Especially now that we may even putting Montez above him. QBs have huge egos lol that "prove them wrong" mindset mayyyy just kick in, but even then will it be for this team or another? 

• Like 1

Some people kept making excuses for Haskins (maybe some still do). Allen was better than him because he was “experienced in the system”. Smith was better than him because “he is a vet”. Unfortunately he just isn’t very good.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, dyst said:

Some people kept making excuses for Haskins (maybe some still do). Allen was better than him because he was “experienced in the system”. Smith was better than him because “he is a vet”. Unfortunately he just isn’t very good.

bull****, you don't get graded out to a first round grade if you're not very good.  Even busts are pretty good players in some ways

32 minutes ago, carex said:

Haskins was graded as a first round talent by most everyone who evaluated players in the draft

Do I really have to dig up a list of all time 1st round busts? Do you really need to be told who Ryan Leaf is? People make mistakes. Also he was dropping in the draft. If Snyder wasn't in charge he might not have been drafted until well into the second round.

• Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Do I really have to dig up a list of all time 1st round busts? Do you really need to be told who Ryan Leaf is? People make mistakes. Also he was dropping in the draft. If Snyder wasn't in charge he might not have been drafted until well into the second round.

Yeah, Leaf turned out as an incredible bust.  it was still reasonable to draft him where he was and if the Chargers hadn't traded for the pick someone else probably would have drafted him nearly that high

• Like 1

hahhahhaa you guys, come on, this is getting comical.  Hes a bust - he sucks - he is trash on and off the field.  Ron is not playing 4d chess trying to motivate Haskins' fragile mind because he is this once in a lifetime generational talent.  Every comment about every player isn't a subtle wink to "simba" to "step up" - the HDS (Haskins Derangement Syndrome) is strong here.  Coach has enough on his plate than to spend cycles running a mental matrix to try to get this crybaby to put on his big boy pants and take the pacifier out of his mouth.  As the coach, he has the option to, you know, play the players who are performing to a level that is commensurate with his expectations.  The ONLY reason simba is even dressing for the game (if he isnt overtaken by Montez) is because of a catastrophic injury to one of the grown ups.

• Confused 2
2 hours ago, dyst said:

He’s playing in the NFL and was selected to play QB based on prior performance, must be something good about that?

58 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

He’s playing in the NFL and was selected to play QB based on prior performance, must be something good about that?

Do I have to spell it out for you mister?

3 hours ago, carex said:

bull****, you don't get graded out to a first round grade if you're not very good.  Even busts are pretty good players in some ways

What does any of that have to do with how he plays...you know...in the NFL? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
22 minutes ago, dyst said:

Do I have to spell it out for you mister?

What does any of that have to do with how he plays...you know...in the NFL? 

the comment he's not very good seems to me to be more than just his play in the NFL and frankly 11 games over two years in two different systems is pretty damn premature to me

Time to face the ugly truth, guys:

Haskins is a bust on a Heath Shuler level.

Just saw the highlights on Montez on the net (didn't even know we had signed him, honestly).

That's some rough QB play. Huge areas to develop and not one single standout ability.

If Rivera is hyping Montez and placing him as competition for Haskins we have more problems than what we originally thought we had. 😨

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic