Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

The only problem now appears to be Haskins' trade value. Both of NBC's Mike Florio and Peter King have been skeptical of teams' willingness to give Washington a substantial offer for Haskins and the franchise's motivation to make a deal if they're underwhelmed by such offers. 

As King wrote in his latest Football Morning in America column, a late-round draft pick may end up being Haskins' market. 

"I think I find it hard to believe that a team would trade anything but a day-three draft pick for Dwayne Haskins by Tuesday’s trading deadline," King wrote. "First, he was not universally loved coming out of Ohio State, and most people around Washington believe owner Daniel Snyder had his fingers on the draft-grade scale before the team picked him 15th overall in 2019. Second, he hasn’t played well, although you certainly can’t draw any firm conclusions after 11 starts. Third, what would you think as an evaluator if the team that drafted Haskins 15th overall in 2019 demoted him to number three quarterback early in 2020?"

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Personally I would love to take a flyer on TE Njoku particularly if the cost is only a mid round pick.

Last year of his contract, so it's a 9 game rental and you want to spend a 4th(ish) round pick on him?  Why?  From perusing Browns fans comments, Njoku has a case of the dropsies.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Last year of his contract, so it's a 9 game rental and you want to spend a 4th(ish) round pick on him?  Why?  From perusing Browns fans comments, Njoku has a case of the dropsies.

Disclaimer: Haven't seen many Browns games and I must admit that I am only thinking of how he played in college when I thought he was a potential star. 

Trading for him is obviously not without risk and he may be a long shot but the reward is worth it if he pans out. As for his contract expiring my understanding is that he was drafted in 2017 so wouldn't he have another year remaining if we activate his 5th year option?  

I agree that a 4th is probably too rich a price to pay but if  Cleveland is asking for a mid round pick I would offer a 6th that could become a 5th if we extend him. If they hold firm I pass.

We would get 9 solid weeks to evaluate him in the heat of a division race. If he performs well and fits in on the team we have full control for another year. If not we let him loose in the off season and search for someone else.

8 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Disclaimer: Haven't seen many Browns games and I must admit that I am only thinking of how he played in college when I thought he was a potential star. 

Trading for him is obviously not without risk and he may be a long shot but the reward is worth it if he pans out. As for his contract expiring my understanding is that he was drafted in 2017 so wouldn't he have another year remaining if we activate his 5th year option?  

I agree that a 4th is probably too rich a price to pay but if  Cleveland is asking for a mid round pick I would offer a 6th that could become a 5th if we extend him. If they hold firm I pass.

We would get 9 solid weeks to evaluate him in the heat of a division race. If he performs well and fits in on the team we have full control for another year. If not we let him loose in the off season and search for someone else.

The deadline to activate his fifth year passed. The Browns would have had the chance before the 2020 season to do this but chose not to. Rather than giving up picks, I'd focus on giving them players we aren't using who are expiring. Something like Moreau for Njoku could make sense for both sides

1 hour ago, method man said:

The deadline to activate his fifth year passed. The Browns would have had the chance before the 2020 season to do this but chose not to. Rather than giving up picks, I'd focus on giving them players we aren't using who are expiring. Something like Moreau for Njoku could make sense for both sides

That is an intriguing idea. Two players that will soon be free agents that are currently getting minimal playing time on their current teams. A change of scenery might be just what each needs.

Just now, slinky said:

Didn't Cleveland already pick up Njoku's 5th year option in april? Doesn't that automatically transfer in a trade to the new team, or do you need to pick up the 5th year again after a trade?

Ah you are right. They did do it. Quite a shock as it would make him overpaid

52 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

That is an intriguing idea. Two players that will soon be free agents that are currently getting minimal playing time on their current teams. A change of scenery might be just what each needs.

We should do the same w John Ross. Obviously they aren’t getting value from him and he is gone at the end of the year so give them Anderson or Moreau.

2019 Ross, when healthy, was a starting caliber receiver

2 hours ago, method man said:

We should do the same w John Ross. Obviously they aren’t getting value from him and he is gone at the end of the year so give them Anderson or Moreau.

2019 Ross, when healthy, was a starting caliber receiver

When?   In college?  Sure.  In the NFL, unfortunately no.

- He'll cost I think 1.4 million over the last 9 games.

- He's had 2 different coaching staffs give up on him.

- He's absent from the team with an "illness" for the past few weeks.

- His career catch rate is 41.5%.

- He's injury prone.

It could be a worthwhile time to give a crack at him, but I'd want to roll over that 1.4 million into the off-season when half the league is struggling with the cap and we can outspend people.  Maybe that 1.4 million will matter to land a proven WR who can help.

26 minutes ago, carex said:

besides Rosen Daniel Jones isn't setting the world on fire, the difference is the Giants hired a coach who liked their QB

More on point so did the GM and scouts on their team.

According to just about everyone who covers the team Danny overruled the coach, GM and scouts.  Night and day from the Giants.

We tanked Haskins trade value by not playing it cool. After only 11 starts, we could have easily downplayed the benching and made it a "developmental" move or even just played up Kyle Allen as winning the competition. Rosen still got Arizona value because they played it cool. Instead we leak all this stuff, as usual, and the Coach throws him under the bus completely trashing him to the point it's obvious the bridge is on fire. It's like our priority is sticking it to the player more than building a winning team.

We do this with every player though lol we are operating in a completely different reality from the good teams in the league. Trashing players on their way out is a priority for our organization and I don't understand. It isn't a good look on the team even if the player is bad. It's loser culture and classless.. Snyder apparently likes Haskins so we can't even blame him for the ugly way it ended, although he holds the blame for the start. This situation was handled poorly from the time he was drafted to this day. We still can't get right. Lol 

I’m not sure the process tanked his value by much. It could have. I’m open to that.

But you don’t think the fact that a second year QB is available in a trade who was drafted in the first round of the previous draft would set off alarm bells to various GMs even if there was absolutely no noise? That in combination with his film doesn’t exactly do him favors.

EDIT: If the team was going to move him, doing so before the previous season would have been the move. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

EDIT: If the team was going to move him, doing so before the previous season would have been the move. 

Exactly! Ron may have felt he couldn't get away with that, but the aggressive move would have been to ship him while he was still seen as a prospect during the off-season.

Starting him for the rest of this year in the hope of extracting a day two pick versus a day three pick would have been really dumb. Ron has an entire team to manage, not just a QB. Letting (alleged) bad behavior be rewarded would be far more damaging to the WFT's hope than losing out on some draft capital for a single player.

Cleaning the wound hurts, but it still has to be done 

10 hours ago, IrepDC said:

We tanked Haskins trade value by not playing it cool. After only 11 starts, we could have easily downplayed the benching and made it a "developmental" move or even just played up Kyle Allen as winning the competition.

Do you think this would stop teams from doing their own scouting and due diligence? 

"Simba" tanked his own "trade value" - no one wants this bust - not for a day 2 pick, prob not for a day 3 pick.  His own piss poor play and pathetic attitude dictated that situation, he is dead weight, a third string never has been who will soon be on the street.   Any commentary to suggest Ron (who again, has a reputation for integrity and honesty) or this team somehow under-minded this great haul we were going to get for "Simba" is just misguided.  he sucks, and everyone knows he sucks

Archived