Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I highly doubt he was benched for bragging about his stats. It was just another sign that he just doesn't get it.  

Ok sure but thats the assumption Bmitch was going with. And if its a sign that he doesnt get and and then the coach does the same thing than what does that say about the coach. I believe that was the point in general but I am just reading what was posted here so I can tell you for sure. 

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The only problematic reports we have about him besides his attitude are that coaches and teammates aren’t happy with how much time he spends at the facility and watching film. I don’t really care what Haskins says about his own strengths and weaknesses when we can see plain as day that Rivera doesn’t agree, and sees him in practice and in the facility every day. Of course Haskins thinks he’s doing enough, that’s the whole problem lol

So I'm going to use a Ron quote here and say that Haskins had one of the most unique offseasons ever with no opportunity for OTAs and all the in facility type of things that are expected right now. So how do we know that he didn't get into a routine at his home gym / computer and all that stuff that he doesn't want to break. I was thinking about that myself because it'd be different if they were "tracking" his use of an IPOD and doing all the stuff in the offseason and there was a stark difference.

I just finished a conference with a teacher about my son because my son is only logged onto their online classroom to turn in assignments, not doing the readings online, not playing the educational games, just coming in turning stuff in and leaving and she was concerned that he was either cheating (didn't explicitly say it but hinted at it) or falling behind and she was more concerned because she couldn't keep track of his ups and downs as a student. And I had to explain to her that we're in a different educational environement. Son's not getting dropped off at school at 8am and getting picked up at 3pm any more so she can't watch him all day. So we had to create a supplimental educational system that worked for him when COVID hit. That included finding books he could relate to, creating parent / child activities that he could engage in and learn from, and trying to find social opportunities. Now 6 months into the game, once we've got things running smoothly, a teacher wants to come in and say "we don't like the way you're doing it. Read these books, (in an online environment so we can see how long it takes you), and do this busy work". So we disagreed and had a discussion about it. 

I have no idea what's going on with Haskins but its not lost on me that when he was doing things in his own environment he excelled and when he was expected to do things at the park its when he fell out of grace. Somebody said that Sweat's emergence may be because he wasn't expceted to come to OTAs (hence us not developing him). Maybe its the opposite for Haskins. 

I just hope this situation ends soon so we can see how good he really is. Whether its him getting his starting job back here, or trading him somewhere else

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If he got benched for bragging about his stats in a loss and then you brag about his replacements stats in a loss.....its a bit hypocritical. He didnt get benched just for that but its hard to ignore.  

I’m guessing he was asked about Allen and his performance.  What’s he gonna say?  I’m sorry I don’t want to offend the original QB by talking about stats?  

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t understand why he doesn’t say things like, “On the surface he had decent stats but that fumble and interception were really tough looks. I’m going to have to go back and watch the film to get a feel for what happened there.”

And he should have been doing that week one. Then come back next day tough but not crazy with his assessments. And not letting the media know your plans the second you devise them would go a long way, too. 

I like the up front approach but this is why coaches don’t do that.

That's tough, I put a high premium on Rivera being straight with me as a fan, media will have something to say regardless when we are losing.  But I get where you are coming from.

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’m guessing he was asked about Allen and his performance.  What’s he gonna say?  I’m sorry I don’t want to offend the original QB by talking about stats?  

He said Allen statistics were pretty darn good.....they werent. Im not sure why yall are arguing this its pretty black and white

So there are people in this thread that conveniently believe some leaks (benched for bragging about his stats) but not others (benched for not putting in the work in the film room) and feel totally intellectually honest expressing both opinions in the same thread? Interesting. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That's tough, I put a high premium on Rivera being straight with me as a fan, media will have something to say regardless when we are losing.  But I get where you are coming from.

I do too. But ima be watching for him to act different with another guy at QB just because I want to see him be consistent. If hes not its gonna be a problem for me. Hes going to have to live up to his own mark he set for 4 weeks now. 

8 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

You are pissed off at B Mitch for noticing the inconsistencies? Why didn't the coach reference Haskins stats and no turnovers against the Ravens? Again, it's cool if the coach has a preference. But when you use inconsistent approaches the players will notice. Allen was smiling and joking on the field as we were losing to an 0-5 team. If I were his teammate, that would piss me off.

Right now its the QB position and its easy to see that the QB position is the easiest one to make a switch to try to provide a spark. But if guys start quesioning, "would he do the same to me" or "why did he do that to Dwayne and not _____" then it could lead to something bad. It could be one of the reasons why guys like Martin and Apke weren't starting this week. But Allen didn't play a "bad" game. He didn't play a good game but just like I don't think Haskins deserved to lose his spot, I don't think Allen does either right now. The question becomes if Allen has another few games like this, how long is the leach on him before these questions start in the locker room? 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

He said Allen statistics were pretty darn good.....they werent. Im not sure why yall are arguing this its pretty black and white

Given it’s his first full game they weren’t bad.  The interception and fumble were brutal but he wasn’t awful.  The two TDs were fantastic passes that honestly I don’t think Haskins makes.  If we win that game his numbers end up respectable. Not great but respectable.  The fact is no QB has been lighting it up.  

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So there are people in this thread that conveniently believe some leaks (benched for bragging about his stats) but not others (benched for not putting in the work in the film room) and feel totally intellectually honest expressing both opinions in the same thread? Interesting. 

Speaking for myself, I don't like to give credit to links until I know where they're coming from. Its one thing for say Zampeze to say that Haskins doesn't study. Its another thing for say Simms to say it. And it could be even differnt if say Allen or Smith said it. Same with the stats. And then without a direct quote we have to question what was implied. Was he bragging about his stats or was it a statment like what Ron said yesterday? These details can't be disected when a direct quote is not provided. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Right now its the QB position and its easy to see that the QB position is the easiest one to make a switch to try to provide a spark. But if guys start quesioning, "would he do the same to me" or "why did he do that to Dwayne and not _____" then it could lead to something bad. It could be one of the reasons why guys like Martin and Apke weren't starting this week. But Allen didn't play a "bad" game. He didn't play a good game but just like I don't think Haskins deserved to lose his spot, I don't think Allen does either right now. The question becomes if Allen has another few games like this, how long is the leach on him before these questions start in the locker room? 

People simply forget this is t about Haskins vs Allen.  Haskins won the starting job but gave it away.  This isn’t about whether Allen or Haskins is more talented.  Your back up only takes over if your starter isn’t playing well.  If Haskins was having good games he still has his job.  

9 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Nope but then again look at our own fans on the biggest Redskin Facebook group.  That’s arguably one of the most toxic groups I’ve ever seen. If someone criticizes Haskins they get called a racist immediately.  If anyone praises Allen they are standing by a white boy savior. These are literally quotes from the group. There’s been endless articles out since Haskins benching that a white QB would get more time. Not saying Mitchell is going there but it’s amazing the defending Haskins is getting when quite simply minus a few games his play was bench worthy.  Hell freaking Chicago benched their starting QB when they like 2-0 or  3-0 I believe? 

I have been hesitant to post my thoughts here as it's an uncomfortable topic. But since you brought it up there is no question race is playing a part in the reaction from certain fans. All you have to do is listen to the callers on that show. Most all are African American and most all come with the same take, it's that Dwayne has been treated unfairly despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary,  many have said if he were white it would be different.  It's fair to say if the roles` were reversed and Kyle was the first round pick who was benched after 11 starts and Dwayne was the undrafted QB who showed flashes next year they would have a completely different take on the 2 players.

I personally believe that is the wrong way to look at the situation. Dwayne has been given every chance to take this job, he has failed every way imaginable and his skin color has nothing to do with any of this.  

Just now, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Given it’s his first full game they weren’t bad.  The interception and fumble were brutal but he wasn’t awful.  The two TDs were fantastic passes that honestly I don’t think Haskins makes.  If we win that game his numbers end up respectable. Not great but respectable.

So im just being honest here. Im rooting for us to not win another game no matter who is at QB and I have been since it was obvious this team didnt have a QB in like week 3. I really dont have a preference between either dude. I just want to win alot of game or lose enough to get a good qb. No middle ground for me. 

Having said that - Haskins and Allen are two very different QBs and talents, but neither stands directly over the other as "better". Haskins has a way way more live arm than Allen. He was making throws all season that Allen has not been good at, yet. They both have different strengths and weaknesses but lets not fool ourselves into thinking one guy is better cause he makes different kids of plays. I think they are both good enough to get us to 2 wins this season. At that point, idgaf about the fade. I really dont. They both have made some fantastic passes over their careers. Surprise. They are QBs in the NFL. 

The fact is no QB has been lighting it up.  

Right. But he so far defends ones play to the media and not the other. I dont think he really likes one guy over the other tbh. I just find it strange and annoying. He defended Haskins about being "sick" so i dont think its personal. I just think its odd and annoying from a supposedly honest guy. Comes off like hes defending himself, for ****ing this up so bad. And that has me feeling like this is gonna be a quick 4 years for ol' River Boat. 

16 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Ok sure but thats the assumption Bmitch was going with. And if its a sign that he doesnt get and and then the coach does the same thing than what does that say about the coach. I believe that was the point in general but I am just reading what was posted here so I can tell you for sure. 

You don't see the difference between a player bragging about his stats, the bulk coming in garbage time, and a coach assessing the play of his QB? Really?  

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have been hesitant to post my thoughts here as it's an uncomfortable topic. But since you brought it up there is no question race is playing a part in the reaction from certain fans. All you have to do is listen to the callers on that show. Most all are African American and most all come with the same take, it's that Dwayne has been treated unfairly despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary,  many have said if he were white it would be different.  It's fair to say if the roles` were reversed and Kyle was the first round pick who was benched after 11 starts and Dwayne was the undrafted QB who showed flashes next year they would have a completely different take on the 2 players.

I personally believe that is the wrong way to look at the situation. Dwayne has been given every chance to take this job, he has failed every way imaginable and his skin color has nothing to do with any of this.  

Whats funny is who remembers how big of a leash Griffin got vs Kirk? Griffin got let off the hook a lot. Kirk got crucified and I’m not a Kirk fan by any means. 

Hilarious to me the parsing of Rivera’s words.  Not one player has come out and said anything to even suggest they had any issue with Dwayne being benched.  2 higher paid players going out of their way to say they respect Ron for being straight up with them regarding the QB change.

You want there to be something here, but there isn’t.

Whats funny is who remembers how big of a leash Griffin got vs Kirk? Griffin got let off the hook a lot. Kirk got crucified and I’m not a Kirk fan by any means. 

For the life of me I will never understand why Kirk got more hate than Griff.  What did Kirk do?  He wanted to maximize his earnings, a crime EVERY professional athlete has ever tried to accomplish.  And of course "he didn't want to be here". Well who in their right mind would want to be here?   Now we compare this with Griffin who costs the team 3 #1 picks and after that great tease that was 2012 he turned into a diva and was completely unwilling to learn the position.  

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hilarious to me the parsing of Rivera’s words.  Not one player has come out and said anything to even suggest they had any issue with Dwayne being benched.  2 higher paid players going out of their way to say they respect Ron for being straight up with them regarding the QB change.

This right here.  Not one player came out and criticized the benching as unfair, that's for radio callers and message board posters.  

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why would a player come out and say that they had an issue with the benching, even if they did? Why would they put themselves in the dog house even if that's how they felt? This is a really good example of fans not understanding how football works lol 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You don't see the difference between a player bragging about his stats, the bulk coming in garbage time, and a coach assessing the play of his QB? Really?  

I see you making a distinction. I don't see the difference, no. But its fine if we disagree. Im not going to get into the politics of it with you im not that interested just bored. 

12 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Griffin also got a long leash because of what he did in 2012. But if people want to say Haskins doesn't compare to Allen, what about Griffin. He had escapability but from 2013 on his numbers weren't there. But he wasn't given time to grow and the question isn't even debatable. Gruden just trashed him in a press conference and pubicly talked about his mistakes. Cousins did better in 2015 but that first year he was bad too. 

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm going to use a Ron quote here and say that Haskins had one of the most unique offseasons ever with no opportunity for OTAs and all the in facility type of things that are expected right now. So how do we know that he didn't get into a routine at his home gym / computer and all that stuff that he doesn't want to break. I was thinking about that myself because it'd be different if they were "tracking" his use of an IPOD and doing all the stuff in the offseason and there was a stark difference.

I just finished a conference with a teacher about my son because my son is only logged onto their online classroom to turn in assignments, not doing the readings online, not playing the educational games, just coming in turning stuff in and leaving and she was concerned that he was either cheating (didn't explicitly say it but hinted at it) or falling behind and she was more concerned because she couldn't keep track of his ups and downs as a student. And I had to explain to her that we're in a different educational environement. Son's not getting dropped off at school at 8am and getting picked up at 3pm any more so she can't watch him all day. So we had to create a supplimental educational system that worked for him when COVID hit. That included finding books he could relate to, creating parent / child activities that he could engage in and learn from, and trying to find social opportunities. Now 6 months into the game, once we've got things running smoothly, a teacher wants to come in and say "we don't like the way you're doing it. Read these books, (in an online environment so we can see how long it takes you), and do this busy work". So we disagreed and had a discussion about it. 

I have no idea what's going on with Haskins but its not lost on me that when he was doing things in his own environment he excelled and when he was expected to do things at the park its when he fell out of grace. Somebody said that Sweat's emergence may be because he wasn't expceted to come to OTAs (hence us not developing him). Maybe its the opposite for Haskins. 

I just hope this situation ends soon so we can see how good he really is. Whether its him getting his starting job back here, or trading him somewhere else

It’s absolutely fair to argue that people learn differently, we all know that. In fact I’ve seen and read things about Rivera’s staff discovering this about Cam and finding a system that worked for him, for instance. The problem is that you’re implying that there’s no way Rivera can know if whatever Haskins is doing is effective, or even worse that he’s wrong and it IS definitely effective but he just wants him to do it “his way”. That implies there’s no way Rivera can assess what he’s learning in the meeting rooms or in practice or in games, and Haskins might be picking it all up just fine but in his own way. That’s obviously a flawed argument. Even in your personal example, your son’s teacher can see from his homework and test performance that he’s applying his knowledge of the material in the end, although she thought it worth the check-up to make sure he was actually doing the work himself since there’s no way to see him working. There’s no football equivalent to that—if Haskins was displaying the growth and knowledge the staff required, they’d know that what he was doing was working. It’s not. 

So in the end your argument is that maybe Haskins is indeed putting in the amount of work they require but in a manner that they find difficult to measure, and their assessment of his preparation habits is unfair—that doesn’t work for me. They have the means to test his preparation every single day and found it lacking. Your personal anecdote would only apply here if your son was actually failing to show his knowledge applied to homework and tests after not working in the way the teacher expected him to—and in that case it would be tough to argue that whatever special system he’s got going at home is working. Does that make sense? 

11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

For the life of me I will never understand why Kirk got more hate than Griff.  What did Kirk do? 

I'm old enough to remember when Stephen A. Smith literally said that Kirk Cousins would never be accepted in "Chocolate City" live on ESPN and it was barely even acknowledged locally.  

Yea I think the far comparison is your son in this case not doing well in tests but saying he is studying. That would be comparable to Haskins saying he doing all the things right but its not working on gameday. 

Edit: Yall cant help but bark up this tree can you? You even have to bring Griffin and Kirk into it years later. Who hurt you? 

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Speaking for myself, I don't like to give credit to links until I know where they're coming from. Its one thing for say Zampeze to say that Haskins doesn't study. Its another thing for say Simms to say it. And it could be even differnt if say Allen or Smith said it. Same with the stats. And then without a direct quote we have to question what was implied. Was he bragging about his stats or was it a statment like what Ron said yesterday? These details can't be disected when a direct quote is not provided. 

That’s fine, I don’t care about any of that. I’m talking about the posters jumping on Rivera for having the gall to talk about Allen’s stats after a loss, due to the report about Haskins gaining disfavor for bragging about his stats (ignoring the fact that one had the chance to win it at the end of the game after some excellent TD throws and the other was gaining yardage in garbage time) — but at the same time dismissing the much more consistent and numerous reports about Haskins’ study habits and work ethic. Can’t have it both ways without good reason, which I don’t see.

18 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Why would a player come out and say that they had an issue with the benching, even if they did? Why would they put themselves in the dog house even if that's how they felt? This is a really good example of fans not understanding how football works lol 

He specifically said in an open presser that Haskins’ teammates were frustrated with him. This is DC, you really don’t think there would have been counter-leaks if guys in that locker room took issue with that representation of the vibes from the team?

Archived