Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

12 hours ago, megared said:

Rivera has to shoulder some of the blame with how this played out.  He mishandled the entire situation, when he didn't have to.  Switching QBs 4 weeks in (outside of injury/illness) means either you made the wrong choice, or you didn't assess your talent properly.  I'd tend to choose the latter, especially if he thinks this team can compete now.    

There were several ways he could've avoided this, but the idea that a seasoned coach can't manage a 23 year old to get production out of him, is perplexing to me.  I get it all of the criticisms we've heard, and I don't doubt they're true to a certain extent.  But I don't recall us asking Ron to only put the effort in, when the conditions are ideal. 

Finally, I don't know about you, but I want an adult in the room.  I can't discern how this was handled any better than the previous regime operated.   

You assume that the effort Haskins was putting in during the season was the same as he was putting in during the off-season.  As somebody who has bet on employees in the past and vouched for them only to be let down when they take an “I’ve arrived” attitude I get how this could have happened.  I have had solid employees end an otherwise excellent rating period with a ****ty final month.

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

There is no if dude. It’s public. He’s not following them now and there are screenshots that he was following them 2 days ago. 

That’s really is incredible isn’t it. It might appear trivial, but that is indefensible. 

I’ve kinda cut Haskins a little bit of slack, having personally been unimpressed with his demeanour since the day we drafted him actually, but damn that kind of immaturity is going to kill his career stone dead.

He likely has a very small window to redeem himself. Good chance Rivera is done with him already.

• Like 2

This whole thing is really tiresome.  I don't care who starts, I just want to win.  If it Allen, Smith, Montez or Haskins I don't care.  I just want the team to win.  A lot of what has played out so far on forums (and the media) is ridiculous but not unexpected in the day of social media and paid social influencers.  Haskins hasn't looked good and while I'd normally be in favor of sticking with him, a lot that has happened since his benching that is a concern.  Still, I thought he was okay after the last game and can't blame him for being excited that he improved.  Smiling at the end when we were losing is bad but he's young and probably just happy he didn't sh*t the bed.  My opinion is to play each one until you find one that can win.  While I think that might be Smith, it scares me to think he might play.  He has been through so much and would hate for his story to tragically end with us.  He probably gives us our best chance to win though.  Overall though, I just don't get the emotional investment some seem to make in players.  Before the salary cap and free agency changes, when guys seemed to stay on the same team for much longer,  I could understand being enamored with players that had been there a while.  But today, players routinely change teams so I don't even bother getting invested in them.  I just care about the team.  Kerrigan was probably my favorite player but I didn't blink when he was replaced by Young because I want the best players playing.  Guice was one of my favorite young guys so I didn't like it when he was cut before the facts even played out but I moved on because I'm pulling for the Redskins and not an individual.  Maybe it is a product of this age but I don't like the attachment people have to players over the team.  It is a team sport so imo, people should be pulling for the team and not specific players.

However, don't blame Rivera if you disagree with the move. Blame Dan Snyder. 

He's the one who picked him. Against many recommendations that he shouldn't. Certainly not at No. 15 overall in 2019. 

Rivera didn't choose Haskins. He inherited him. Four games is enough in a league that stands for Not For Long and with a historically impatient owner. 

Mike Shanahan, if you believe him and several others, lost full control of football operations four months into his tenure when the executive branch swung a deal for Donovan McNabb. 

Jay Gruden never had full control but he sure had a lot of influence in 2016 & 2017 only to lose it when his team couldn't get over the hump. 

Rivera has full power and Snyder has been on his best football behavior for the last ten months, but how long will that last? 

He feels he has to win soon, if not now. He knows he has an impatient boss and a torn fan base who has been pummeled into submission by the never ending chaos. 

He saw an opportunity in the awful NFC least. Rivera pulled the trigger. 

The problem is he's now getting a lot of the criticism. That's absurd! 

Rivera is not the problem. Haskins' reported work ethic (which we all know about) and Snyder are the problem. 

They left Rivera with very little choice. 

Haskins should not have been the No.15 pick last year. Everyone knows that and saw it in the pre-draft process. He was my favorite quarterback in the draft class because of his arm and accuracy but also because I didn't think Kyler Murray would be able to stay healthy. I was never in on Daniel Jones. 

I was also very wrong. 

We still don't know what Rivera and the Carolina Panthers' grade on him was but it's almost impossible to believe that it was a very high mark. 

When Rivera took the job - he cited that he was excited about the young talent on the roster. 

What he couldn't have known for sure was how Haskins worked and interacted behind the scenes. The book on the young quarterback was filled out by Kyle Smith and other friends/associates that Rivera leans on and trusts. 

He was armed with plenty of information plus the tape from last year. 

Even in a absurdly abnormal offseason with no preseason games, Rivera had his doubts. Haskins kept proving that he was working hard on his body on Instagram. 

There was no way to really know how hard he was working away from the social media emporium he's built with the exception of tests, quizzes and monitoring digital time that Haskins was spending or not spending. 

Over and over again this offseason, I cited the need for Rivera, Scott Turner and Ken Zampese to work with Haskins every day first before we crowned him. 

Now they have and it's more than apparent that they didn't like what they observed. 

That doesn't mean he didn't work at all. Just not enough. Kids and young adults often don't understand what it takes and how hard being an adult is. 

Haskins apparently hasn't figured out the right recipe for success but that might be just the nature of being a young man used to having success because of his rocket arm. 

So maybe - we shouldn't fully blame Haskins. We certainly shouldn't blame Rivera. He tried to make this work. 

He could have hit the red light from the start. 

Instead, we should blame Snyder for being the adult in charge left standing from the previous regime but remember this -- Snyder is not only not a scout or personnel guru - but he's a HORRIBLE judge of people and human beings. 

Snyder has often acted immature and oblivious to reality while hiring people that got drunk with power and control, while treating people like garbage. 

So not only did he make a football evaluation against his football executives and coaches wishes, but he also ignored the very real set of problems that Haskins has, which extend far beyond turnovers and missing receivers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
21 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eBmICC290gs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBmICC290gs&feature=youtu.be

Not sure if this was posted, Lombardi on Haskins. He rips really hard. I have no idea on how to embed the video 😑. He says he was suppose to have a training session with him, Haskins was late and they agreed to have one the following day to go over missed stuff, Haskins stiffed him. 

The Haskins defenders simply have to watch this video, skip the annoying introduction.  

We have a QB who has acted like an entitled diva since he was drafted. Blowing off this guy at the camp is just another symptom of the disease.   He correctly pointed out the QB makes the cast better, not the other way around.  He cited a number of QBs who played well with a poor supporting cast.  Also pointed out how he pouted and was not engaged with the other QBs learning on the sidelines last year.  

STOP DEFENDING THE INDEFENSIBLE.  This man does not deserve your sympathy, he has earned his position in street clothes tomorrow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
14 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The Haskins defenders simply have to watch this video, skip the annoying introduction.  

We have a QB who has acted like an entitled diva since he was drafted. Blowing off this guy at the camp is just another symptom of the disease.   He correctly pointed out the QB makes the cast better, not the other way around.  He cited a number of QBs who played well with a poor supporting cast.  Also pointed out how he pouted and was not engaged with the other QBs learning on the sidelines last year.  

STOP DEFENDING THE INDEFENSIBLE.  This man does not deserve your sympathy, he has earned his position in street clothes tomorrow.  

Good listen.  He made some of my points in that mix, some inside stuff about Haskins in the mix in that video.

A really good Qb will at least show some flashes regardless of supporting cast.  Joe Burrow has had more pressure in his face than any other Qb in the league (according to one metric i posted) yet he is flashing in season 1.   

Every QB isn't some project, where they need all this time, and are totally dependant on the supporting cast to judge and they will bloom in time.  Plenty hit the ground running to an extent.  Again, I am not talking about killing it from the jump but having some wow moments and games amidst the roller coaster.  I wish I could find the article because it was posted if I recall on this very thread - statisitically speaking most successful Qb's flash early.  They obviously don't peak early but they typically don't have miserable stats.  Again speaking of the last decade or so.  Not the early Manning era, etc.  Passing has gotten easier.  College offenses adopted, etc.  It's a different era.

As Lombardi says there you got to put in the time in order to become consistent in the league.  It's one of the many good points IMO in Arians' book about Qbs. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

You assume that the effort Haskins was putting in during the season was the same as he was putting in during the off-season.  As somebody who has bet on employees in the past ans couches for them only to be let down when they take an “I’ve arrived” attitude I get how this could have happened.  I have had solid employees end an otherwise excellent rating period with a ****ty final month.

Goes with leadership.  You're judged by the production of your team.  Displaying consistent messaging and decision making right now (while you're establishing your program) is more important than winning games. 

If he didn't want to be bothered with the minutiae of player development, well he should've brought more vets in.  Perhaps guys that could've contributed and not just guys he was familiar with?   

Kyle is going to be interesting, almost everything screams this won't be a pretty ride, will see.  I think it will be Alex after the bye. 

4 minutes ago, megared said:

Goes with leadership.  You're judged by the production of your team.  Displaying consistent messaging and decision making right now (while you're establishing your program) is more important than winning games. 

If he didn't want to be bothered with the minutiae of player development, well he should've brought more vets in.  Perhaps guys that could've contributed and not just guys he was familiar with?   

He is being consistent.  If he is preaching committment and culture than the last thing he should be doing is sucking it up and riding with Haskins throughout the season if the reports are true about work ethic, people being upset about the agent's comment, players not liking his giddiness after loses.

The way to be consistent and set a culture early is to actually sit the dude versus brush it off. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A really good Qb will at least show some flashes regardless of supporting cast.   

Without delving into work ethic...I'd argue the sideline shot to Terry was a flash.  That's what he's good at, it was a perfect throw, and it was exactly the kind of throws we'd seen promise on in the past. 

Now, our offense probably can't reliably go downfield...but he CAN throw the ball outside the numbers with zip.  Could that be reliably developed?  I'm not going to say I saw enough to conclude...

7 hours ago, megared said:

Rivera has to shoulder some of the blame with how this played out.  He mishandled the entire situation, when he didn't have to.  Switching QBs 4 weeks in (outside of injury/illness) means either you made the wrong choice, or you didn't assess your talent properly.  I'd tend to choose the latter, especially if he thinks this team can compete now.    

There were several ways he could've avoided this, but the idea that a seasoned coach can't manage a 23 year old to get production out of him, is perplexing to me.  I get it all of the criticisms we've heard, and I don't doubt they're true to a certain extent.  But I don't recall us asking Ron to only put the effort in, when the conditions are ideal. 

Finally, I don't know about you, but I want an adult in the room.  I can't discern how this was handled any better than the previous regime operated.   

He didn't asses Haskins improperly. He saw what many of us saw last year, a QB with a big arm who had improved dramatically through the course of the year. He gave Dwayne Haskins every chance to show that he was a starting NFL QB, Hell if he just showed anything at all that showed he was getting it he would still be starting.

Instead Haskins failed every test on and off the field.  Again we need to stop blaming others and point the finger where it belongs, at the entitled, lazy diva QB.  

Get this guy out of here any way possible.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, megared said:

Without delving into work ethic...I'd argue the sideline shot to Terry was a flash.  That's what he's good at, it was a perfect throw, and it was exactly the kind of throws we'd seen promise on in the past. 

Now, our offense probably can't reliably go downfield...but he CAN throw the ball outside the numbers with zip.  Could that be reliably developed?  I'm not going to say I saw enough to conclude...

I cited that throw as IMO his best throw as a WFT player.  But one throw isn't a flash.  Every QB has a good throw or two.  I am talking about watching a game and thinking wow, this dude is going to be great once he finds some consistency.   Burrow has already flashed.  Argubaly Herbet, too.  Both of their teams stunk last year. 

IMO its hard to get excited about a QB who isn't a mobile type and has bad accuracy.  Managing a game with slants, dump offs, screens doesn't get me jazzed.

One of the main reasons why I wasn't jazzed about Haskins when we picked him was I had concerns about his ability to make throws aside from the easier ones which he thrives on in between the numbers right in front of him.  I said it on the draft thread back then, once in awhile he'd make a really nice throw -- intermediate outr oute, etc, where it was an exception but a rare exception.  For the most part his accuracy was erratic outside of his sweet spot which were slants, mesh routes, shallow crossers, digs -- basically short throws in routes right in front of his eyes.  He has nice touch on those throws, gets the receiver in stride.  Really really good at that.  But IMO that's really most of his arsenal.  To use a baseball analogy, he basically has one pitch and at one speed, with a rare exception.

I just don't think it's going to happen for him.  I can see him as a game manager type, medicore starter but I'd guess never special.  I just don't buy all these stories that question his work ethic from both local and national reporters are just being made up.  It's too many from too many corners including conservative types like Keim.  I don't think he will find his consistency if he's not committed.  Lombardi talks about it in the video @Darrell Green Fan posted.  That doesn't mean Haskins is lazy. He seems like a nice kid and I bet he works hard.  But to be a successful QB (unless you are a mega athelte which he is not) you likely got to have a maniacal work ethic, not just a run of the mill one.  And by multiple accounts Haskins doesn't have that.  That committment concern was brought up about Haskins before the draft.  It's not just a WFT thing from two different coaching regimes. 

DWAYNE HASKINS

Noticeably on this list above, Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins averages a depth of target of just 7.9 yards past the line of scrimmage, the second-lowest in the conference. This, of course, has led to the fact that 54.8% of his passing yards have come after the catch this season. Of all 14 Big Ten quarterbacks with at least 90 dropbacks in 2018, Haskins has targeted passes short of the first-down markers the most, throwing a pass short of the line to gain on 61.6% of his passes.

Obviously, Haskins’ 25 touchdowns lead the conference as the next closest, Peyton Ramsey, only has 11, but Haskins’ supporting cast has been doing a large amount of the work for him, a larger amount than most in the conference. He has only nine big-time throws despite his large number of touchdowns (big-time throws are the highest-graded throws in the PFF grading system). 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-breaking-down-the-big-ten-quarterbacks-after-week-6

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

He didn't asses Haskins improperly. He saw what many of us saw last year, a QB with a big arm who had improved dramatically through the course of the year. He gave Dwayne Haskins every chance to show that he was a starting NFL QB, Hell if he just showed anything at all that showed he was getting it he would still be starting.

Instead Haskins failed every test on and off the field.  Again we need to stop blaming others and point the finger where it belongs, at the entitled, lazy diva QB.  

Get this guy out of here any way possible.  

But that isn't the messaging he gave.  He came out and said he was impressed.

4/30:  https://www.radio.com/thefandc/ron-rivera-impressed-by-dwayne-haskins

7/28:  "Pure competition" https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/28/21344882/ron-rivera-speaks-to-the-media-qb-will-be-a-pure-competition

None of this...was necessary.  Not if you're going to change your mind four games in...

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I cited that throw as IMO his best throw as a WFT player.  But one throw isn't a flash.  Every QB has a good throw or two.  I am talking about watching a game and thinking wow, this dude is going to be great once he finds some consistency.   Burrow has already flashed.  Argubaly Herbet, too.  Both of their teams stunk last year. 

He clearly improved last season (within that offense), when given the time to pick up the offense.  

This offense doesn't appear to give him many opportunities to flash.  And if you hadn't noticed, there are other issues going on, at other positions.  All while the OC is learning on the job.  

If this is THE offense, I'm not mad at the benching from a football standpoint.  If you expected Haskins to throw with anticipation, in tight windows with accuracy, at this stage, you're setting him up to fail. 

But did we really have to witness that **** for the last month?   You couldn't anticipate this being problematic, you know when you were picking out a QB and screaming "pure competition"??? 

1 minute ago, megared said:

He clearly improved last season (within that offense), when given the time to pick up the offense.  

This offense doesn't appear to give him many opportunities to flash.  And if you hadn't noticed, there are other issues going on, at other positions.  All while the OC is learning on the job.  

If this is THE offense, I'm not mad at the benching from a football standpoint.  If you expected Haskins to throw with anticipation, in tight windows with accuracy, at this stage, you're setting him up to fail. 

But did we really have to witness that **** for the last month?   You couldn't anticipate this being problematic, you know when you were picking out a QB and screaming "pure competition"??? 

I'd expect Haskins to at least be able to throw a pass to a running back in the flat in stride.  It doesn't matter what offense you're in.  He's incapable of doing that.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

I'd expect Haskins to at least be able to throw a pass to a running back in the flat in stride.  It doesn't matter what offense you're in.  He's incapable of doing that.

That's a footwork/mechanics problem.  It's clear as day and is something that is generally coachable. 

Cam Newton, Vick and other guys with strong arms struggled with the same stuff early on.  

18 minutes ago, megared said:

But that isn't the messaging he gave.  He came out and said he was impressed.

4/30:  https://www.radio.com/thefandc/ron-rivera-impressed-by-dwayne-haskins

7/28:  "Pure competition" https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/28/21344882/ron-rivera-speaks-to-the-media-qb-will-be-a-pure-competition

None of this...was necessary.  Not if you're going to change your mind four games in...

He was impressed, in April and July. Once he saw him in person, at practice, and in the games well that's when his assessment changed. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

He was impressed, in April and July. Once he saw him in person, at practice, and in the games well that's when his assessment changed. 

He wasn't announced the starter until September.  So there was plenty of time to flesh this out.

39 minutes ago, megared said:

I've mentioned it on this thread many times, I saw his inaccuracy in his rookie camp, no pass rush to contend with, nothing about his supporting cast.  I haven't seen a change.  And the idea that the dude doesn't work hard enough is the kicker to me.

As PFF said its not easy to fix accuracy.  As different scouts have said acuracy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> arm strength.  If it was so easy to fix accuracy with tinkering with a dude's footwork, then we'd rarely see failures in this league.  But most do fail. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, megared said:

He wasn't announced the starter until September.  So there was plenty of time to flesh this out.

And if he had announced that Dwayne was not the starter I'm sure you would have been fine with that right?  

He gave Dwayne every chance to succeed, he chose to take the easy path and enjoy his fame instead of actually working to improve. Why do you keep defending this behavior?

• Like 2
Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I've mentioned it on this thread many times, I saw his inaccuracy in his rookie camp, no pressure, nothing about his supporting cast.  I haven't seen a change.  And the idea that the dude doesn't work hard enough is the kicker to me.

As PFF said its not easy. to fix accuracy.  As different scouts have said acuracy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> arm strength.  If it was so easy to fix accuracy with tinkering with a dude's footwork, then we'd rarely see failures in this league.  But most do fail. 

It's not something that can be fixed if he locks himself in a room and focuses hard enough.  It comes with time and repetition. 

Having said that, he doesn't have the wheels to warrant the same patience as the other guys, but none of this should be a shocker to anyone that's watched the guy, on any level.  

Lombardi on pro-Haskins (keep playing him) vs con-Haskins (bench him):

https://theathletic.com/2127226/2020/10/09/dwayne-haskins-benching-ron-rivera-washington-football-team/

Obviously behind a paywall, but to paraphrase:

Reasons to keep playing him:

1). Never has played with a lead;

2). Lack of weapons (Terry hasn't been 100%, JD is a good pass catcher, but a journeyman, Gibson looks like an excellent rookie, Thomas is a decent but has no big-plays in him.  Line has been downgraded from Trent to Geron and loss of Scherff.

Reasons to bench him (and make him 3rd string)

1). Backup QBs must be the most prepared at all times.  Have to be hardest workers.  

2). Haskins can't throw with accuracy to open receivers.  

3). Like Mason Rudolph and Brandon Wheeden, he can't play when there is game speed (game gets too fast).  Has to wait for a receiver to get open vs. throwing with anticipation (this is more from his podcasts).

4). You can mitigate lack of anticipation by play-action, but if you're down, play-action becomes less effective.  

At the end, he agrees with benching him.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And if he had announced that Dwayne was not the starter I'm sure you would have been fine with that right?  

Absolutely.  My biggest problem is that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude this entire team isn't ready to compete.  There's not some beautiful ballet of football occurring on offense, sans Haskins.   If this was ever in the realm of possibilities, you bring in a competent vet, have a legit competition, and let the chips fall where they may.  Then there's never a tolerance for entitlement.    

He gave Dwayne every chance to succeed, he chose to take the easy path and enjoy his fame instead of actually working to improve. Why do you keep defending this behavior?

Too many other problems I'm seeing with the offense.  Baltimore was overwhelming us, sending 5.  And either we have some terrible route concepts that often appear to converge into the same spot on the field, or our receivers are running sloppy routes.  Probably a combination.

I said nothing of his behavior, because ya'll are acting like this is like some unparalleled ****.  Ron was empowered to fix this before and while it was a problem.  The fact that it blew up, means he didn't, or didn't adequately.  

Edited by megared
11 minutes ago, megared said:

It's not something that can be fixed if he locks himself in a room and focuses hard enough.  It comes with time and repetition. 

Having said that, he doesn't have the wheels to warrant the same patience as the other guys, but none of this should be a shocker to anyone that's watched the guy, on any level.  

Arians in his book if I recall likened it to a golf swing (unless i am mixing him up with another), its developing consistency, vita rote and practice.  But that's not a piece of cake and needs constant committment.  Even the established QBs constantly are at it.  if Haskins' mechanics  are both poor and his work ethic according to many is subpar -- it seems to be screaming to me likely bust much more than give him patience to me.

Agree with your point about the wheels.

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Lombardi on pro-Haskins (keep playing him) vs con-Haskins (bench him):

https://theathletic.com/2127226/2020/10/09/dwayne-haskins-benching-ron-rivera-washington-football-team/

Obviously behind a paywall, but to paraphrase:

Reasons to keep playing him:

1). Never has played with a lead;

2). Lack of weapons (Terry hasn't been 100%, JD is a good pass catcher, but a journeyman, Gibson looks like an excellent rookie, Thomas is a decent but has no big-plays in him.  Line has been downgraded from Trent to Geron and loss of Scherff.

a few excepts

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 10.08.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 10.09.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 10.09.34 AM.png

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Arians in his book likens it to a golf swing, its developing consistency, vita rote and practice.  But that's not a piece of cake and needs constant committment.  Even the established QBs constantly are at it.  if Haskins mechanics  are both poor and his work ethic according to many is subpar -- it seems to be screaming to me likely bust much more than patience to me.

Agree...his work ethic may be the limitation in him ever overcoming it.  Sad fact of the matter is, these guys' biggest opportunity is at the time they're the most immature.   

But I don't think it was ever achievable to expect him to figure it ALL (or even much) out by week 5.

Expecting DH to sling the ball around like Kurt Warner is the equivalent of lining up on offense and running the swinging gate.  Over and over.  

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic