Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

23 minutes ago, megared said:

It was a no win play.  There was zero chance he was going to be able to fit a throw between five defenders.  They were on the goal line, in a zone (eyes on QB), waiting to pick it.  

No outrage at Ron for not taking the easy 3 and extending the game?  

The year is 1872. Sheriff Haskins finds himself in the street, staring down the baddest man in the west. Haskins didn't want to be sheriff of this town. He certainly didn't have the experience after drifting in from the east hardly a year ago. But there he was, gun on his hip, staring down The Raven and being the only man stopping The Raven from looting this sad little town. The clock strikes 2 in the afternoon, and they both know its time. Their hands fly to their gun handles fast as lightning. Despite the odds, Dwayne draws first and takes steady aim at his own foot and fires. The shot misses his own foot by inches. The Raven gives a stark laugh. In the blink of an eye, a thunderclap passes and a pool of red blooms from Haskins' chest. Sheriff Haskins turns to the crowd gathered and asks "But why don't you believe in me?" "You didn't try to shoot him," the stunned crowd gasps, and Mayor Rivera sends a runner to the next town over, seeking Deputy Allen and Marshal Smith. "But there was zero chance of me killing him", Haskins shouts at them, outraged at their lack of sympathy. As he begins to choke, he coughs out his dying words to the crowd: "I'm unfollowing you on Twitter."

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Jared Goff is the 4th highest rated QB this season, per PFF.

Letting KOC get away could possibly be Rivera's biggest misstep. 

Jared Goff is legit. His numbers were down last year because of a ton of a bad luck. Look it up -- he had like eight guys tackled on the one yard line.

He doesn't look the part -- tall, skinny -- but this idea that he is simply a tool of McVay/KOC is crazy. He is tough as nails and makes big time throws. He's not tier 1, but tier 2 for sure.

9 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Jared Goff is legit. His numbers were down last year because of a ton of a bad luck. Look it up -- he had like eight guys tackled on the one yard line.

He doesn't look the part -- tall, skinny -- but this idea that he is simply a tool of McVay/KOC is crazy. He is tough as nails and makes big time throws. He's not tier 1, but tier 2 for sure.

PFF accounts for his lack of luck on touchdowns.  Yet he was still ranked 20th last year.  This year, he is ranked 4th.  His rookie year, he was ranked 34th.  

He's a perfect example of how much the coaching around you matters.

By the way, I know all about Jared Goff.  I live in LA, and see him every Sunday.  

8 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Would any of this had happened if our Defense held opponents to 14 points or less?? A winning record gets a lot of bad stuff overlooked.

Doubt it. If Rivera thinks Haskins is playing like a moist dog turd, then he was going to make the change regardless. Chicago was 3-0 when they benched Trubisky. If Ron really started to think the team has a better chance at winning with Allen, it would have been made regardless of the record IMO.

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

PFF accounts for his lack of luck on touchdowns.  Yet he was still ranked 20th last year.  This year, he is ranked 4th.  His rookie year, he was ranked 34th.  

He's a perfect example of how much the coaching around you matters.

By the way, I know all about Jared Goff.  I live in LA, and see him every Sunday.  

So do I and as much as I like Haskins, there is no way he could do what JG does if in the exact same situation. Not accurate or ballsy enough. Watch his TD pass to Cooper Kupp last week -- perfect placement. Dwayne doesn't even try to make that throw.

Just now, Hooper said:

So do I and as much as I like Haskins, there is no way he could do what JG does if in the exact same situation. Not accurate enough.

I'm not saying he'd be as good in the exact same situation.  But he would have a much better chance to succeed in that situation than he did in this one.

By the way, Goff had a 54.6% completion rate his rookie year and a 62.1% his next year.  Haskins has an overall higher rate through his first 13 games.

And Goff has had much better receivers around him.

21 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Doubt it. If Rivera thinks Haskins is playing like a moist dog turd, then he was going to make the change regardless. Chicago was 3-0 when they benched Trubisky. If Ron really started to think the team has a better chance at winning with Allen, it would have been made regardless of the record IMO.

Moist dog turd, that really hits different than a regular dog turd. 

35 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Would any of this had happened if our Defense held opponents to 14 points or less?? A winning record gets a lot of bad stuff overlooked.

Yeah but it's hard to field a top defense when your offense is near the bottom of the league in every statistical category. Defenses get affected by that.

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm not saying he'd be as good in the exact same situation.  But he would have a much better chance to succeed in that situation than he did in this one.

By the way, Goff had a 54.6% completion rate his rookie year and a 62.1% his next year.  Haskins has an overall higher rate through his first 13 games.

And Goff has had much better receivers around him.

All true. Any QB drafted by this dumpster fire of a franchise has almost no chance to do well. Just sticking up for Goff, who is way better than most folks think IMO.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This team has a very publicized recent history of letting talented offensive minds leave and find success elsewhere.  Get ready to add KOC to the list.

I'm old enough to remember when most fans were bashing young Shanny even more than they are young Turner. Media too. Same folks praising him now were writing articles about how he had no business telling RG3 what to do. 

Sorry if this was posted before.  Starts at 5:25.  Lombardi tells a pretty interesting story on Haskins.  It doesn't reflect well on Haskins.  Haskins arrived 20 minutes late to a presentation Lombardi was giving to his draft prep class.  Haskins asked if he could meet him the next day.  Lombardi said sure.  Haskins never showed.  Lombardi is pretty well-connected in the league, and no-showing him was bound to get out to other teams.  Too bad our stupid owner still overrode our scouts and took him.

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Okay time to pile on for fun - Dwayne asking for Theismann's number without having accomplished anything yet was a red flag!!

Ridiculous, he owes us and joey t a lot more production for asking for it right away.

I would've loved for the convo to go down like this: "dwayne, we are moving you to 3rd on the depth chart.  You will be inactive. You aren't getting any snaps at practice.  You will be given white pants instead, and will be the only one wearing them.  One more thing, you have to change your jersey number.

I'm not going to pile on.

Ron didn't think he was playing well, or making nearly any progress, and so made the decision to bench him. Statistically speaking, we all know Dwayne was damn near dead last in the league, so it's not as if Rivera made a rash decision. Coach sees him every single day, so I'll trust his judgement on this.

Hopefully Dwayne uses this as fuel for the fire and motivates him to work harder, study more, and become a better QB.

21 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I don’t think he ever gets signed to be frank.  What team wants to put an immature qb who feels he’s entitled to start and not support his teammates in their qb room?  Why in the world would he unfollow Kyle Allen?  

Yeah, its unheard of to unfollow your team, the one that believed in you so much that they drafted you a year ago.  Its another to unfollow the guy who got promoted out of spite.  Unless hes saying Kyle Allen was actively plotting against him and trying to get him demoted...

Taking childishness to a whole new level, and he doesnt understand what this does to his future with any team.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The year is 1872. Sheriff Haskins finds himself in the street, staring down the baddest man in the west. Haskins didn't want to be sheriff of this town. He certainly didn't have the experience after drifting in from the east hardly a year ago. But there he was, gun on his hip, staring down The Raven and being the only man stopping The Raven from looting this sad little town. The clock strikes 2 in the afternoon, and they both know its time. Their hands fly to their gun handles fast as lightning. Despite the odds, Dwayne draws first and takes steady aim at his own foot and fires. The shot misses his own foot by inches. The Raven gives a stark laugh. In the blink of an eye, a thunderclap passes and a pool of red blooms from Haskins' chest. Sheriff Haskins turns to the crowd gathered and asks "But why don't you believe in me?" "You didn't try to shoot him," the stunned crowd gasps, and Mayor Rivera sends a runner to the next town over, seeking Deputy Allen and Marshal Smith. "But there was zero chance of me killing him", Haskins shouts at them, outraged at their lack of sympathy. As he begins to choke, he coughs out his dying words to the crowd: "I'm unfollowing you on Twitter."

that comparison is just pants on head idiotic.

I agree with the Post about Haskins not deserving this humiliation and thinking about it this week, I realized the only reason I'm not ripping RR is because of his health

19 minutes ago, carex said:

that comparison is just pants on head idiotic.

I agree with the Post about Haskins not deserving this humiliation and thinking about it this week, I realized the only reason I'm not ripping RR is because of his health

I don't know how it can be made any clearer. Haskins was asked to try to throw the ball into the endzone. Success or failure isn't the problem, everyone and their mothers who couldn't care less about football knew it was unlikely to work. It's that Haskins didn't even try. There really is nothing else to say about it.

If anyone wants to point out the irony of Rivera not calling timeouts to try to mount next to impossible comebacks, that's fair. But a QB was put in a simple situation: Throw it to the endzone because there was literally nowhere else to throw it that could possibly succeed. The QB didn't try.

Our head coach has had two quarterbacks for his entire head coaching career, the first he got as a rookie and nurtured into an mvp and the second he brought in as an undrafted free agent, nurtured him for two years and brought over with him in a trade but the narrative is that this staff can't, won't or isn't willing to develop a quarterback.

Maybe you don't agree with this decision but its got nothing to do with an unwillingness to develop a  young quarterback. 

8 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I don't know how it can be made any clearer. Haskins was asked to try to throw the ball into the endzone. Success or failure isn't the problem, everyone and their mothers who couldn't care less about football knew it was unlikely to work. It's that Haskins didn't even try. There really is nothing else to say about it.

If anyone wants to point out the irony of Rivera not calling timeouts to try to mount next to impossible comebacks, that's fair. But a QB was put in a simple situation: Throw it to the endzone because there was literally nowhere else to throw it that could possibly succeed. The QB didn't try.

he shouldn't have been asked to

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Our head coach has had two quarterbacks for his entire head coaching career, the first he got as a rookie and nurtured into an mvp and the second he brought in as an undrafted free agent, nurtured him for two years and brought over with him in a trade but the narrative is that this staff can't, won't or isn't willing to develop a quarterback.

Maybe you don't agree with this decision but its got nothing to do with an unwillingness to develop a  young quarterback. 

Newton went to the Pro Bowl his rookie year.  How much nurturing do you think he needed.  Also I'd like to point out, that he selected both those guys and didn't select Haskins

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Rivera started his head coaching career 1-3 in Carolina.  Maybe he should have been benched too. 🤔

But on a serious note, I would be 100% in Rivera's corner if I thought this decision was made with the long-term success of the franchise as his top priority.  That's all I really care about.  Jeremiah and others see things from a GM perspective.  A lot of fans, players and coaches don't, which is fine, but it's just not how I view things.

Jeremiah among others is looking at it theoritically.  Theortically I agree.  You drafted a QB that you supposedly believed in, then let it ride for awhile.  In theory that makes sense.

But its not that neat and tidy:

A. You got a HC who didn't draft him

B.  You got some carry over baggage from last year including concerns about his work ethic.

C. You got the football people left in the building supposedly not buying that Haskins is a first round talent

D.  You got supposedly the work ethic-preperation stuff resurfacing 

E.  Rivera supposedly talked to Kyle Smith everyday in the off season -- somehow i doubt Kyle didn't share with Rivera why he didn't have a first round grade on Haskins.  I know you don't think its relevant.  But I think its relevant and ditto some who cover the team.

F.  The owner is the main one left who was infatuated with Haskins and has perhaps promised to back off. 

I know you think some of this stuff is hearsay.  But what if its not?   Rivera is known for his integrity and being a smart dude.  What if there is some real logic behind this call?  Rivera knows more about what's cooking with Haskins than Jeremiah. 

19 minutes ago, carex said:

he shouldn't have been asked to

Newton went to the Pro Bowl his rookie year.  How much nurturing do you think he needed.  Also I'd like to point out, that he selected both those guys and didn't select Haskins

Obviously newton was an easy one, just pointing out that he did it.

But the guy slated to start this weekend was undrafted, had flashes but also several horrible stretches of turnover football and he still traded for him to bring him with them.

Kinda disproves the sentiment that he won't develop a quarterback. 

And he hasn't given up on haskins yet, he just benched him feeling its whats best for the team.

Again people may disagree with it but I just don't see how you can say he won't develop a quarterback when all the evidence suggests otherwise. 

Archived