Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

14 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I respect Sally Jenkins opinion on this matter.

She lost all credibility with her puff piece biography on Lance Armstrong, but a broken clock is right twice a day. 

Here is the article for those interested:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/08/ron-rivera-dwayne-haskins-decision/

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I think if Haskins was a 2nd or 3rd round pick a lot of this would be different. Both in how he seeys himself, how the fans see him, and it would have been better in not rushing him to play. To give him a chance to sit 3 years and hope he improves.

Here is how it turns out it we don't pick Haskins at 15.  We draft Sweat at 15 and the trade back into the first to get Haskins.  Basically, not a thing would be different.  Same 2 players same trade back up into the first.

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly said:

Here is how it turns out it we don't pick Haskins at 15.  We draft Sweat at 15 and the trade back into the first to get Haskins.  Basically, not a thing would be different.  Same 2 players same trade back up into the first.

If the owner did not have a hard on for Haskins, we could potentially have AJ Brown and Jaylon Johnson, two starters at posititions of need. Because of this idiot owner, the team has wasted 4 1st round picks, a 2nd, a 3rd and a couple years of Kendall Fuller on failed QBs for this team (Haskins, RG3 and Smith)...with 4 1st round picks out the door, you really wonder why this team hasn't had a 1st team All Pro in 25 years?

1 minute ago, method man said:

If the owner did not have a hard on for Haskins, we could potentially have AJ Brown and Jaylon Johnson, two starters at posititions of need. Because of this idiot owner, the team has wasted 4 1st round picks, a 2nd, a 3rd and a couple years of Kendall Fuller on failed QBs for this team (Haskins, RG3 and Smith)...with 4 1st round picks out the door, you really wonder why this team hasn't had a 1st team All Pro in 25 years?

What would have been your plan at QB in 2019?

...so let’s say for the sake of argument that all the talk about his work ethic and lack of preparation outside of normal team practices are true.  If he is not doing what the coaches have repeatedly asked of him, and is not improving because he won’t do those things...what is it Rivera should have done other than bench him? Do you continue to play a kid who won’t do what you ask?

I think it appears more likely that Haskins has been like a child who you repeatedly tell to clean their room, and they utterly refuse to do so.  At what point do you take away their XBox?  At what point are their consequences?  All the talking heads coming down on the organization are repeatedly throwing out Haskins’ numbers.  Maybe this had far less to do with numbers and far more to do with everything else?  

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What would have been your plan at QB in 2019?

I liked Drew Lock the most out of the bunch but didn't like him at 15. I wouldn't have forced a 1st with a lame duck coach. I would've taken a developmental guy in the 2nd or later and really wanted to sign Fitz to be the starter. Fitz is obivously no stud but he can singlehandedly give a team a chance to win every week and is an A+ teammate who could've mentored Lock or some other prospect

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Dwayne was never going to be the guy.  Here or anywhere.  I am fine with the pick.  We wouldn't have gotten Chase Young without selecting him.  The past is the past.  It's time to move forward.

12 minutes ago, method man said:

I liked Drew Lock the most out of the bunch but didn't like him at 15. I wouldn't have forced a 1st with a lame duck coach. I would've taken a developmental guy in the 2nd or later and really wanted to sign Fitz to be the starter. Fitz is obivously no stud but he can singlehandedly give a team a chance to win every week and is an A+ teammate who could've mentored Lock or some other prospect

Pretty sure Lock ranks right around where Haskins does this season in PFF grade, and was worse last year.  Really, all that would have given us was our extra 2nd round pick back this year, but having Fitz probably would have prevented us from finishing poorly enough to draft Chase Young this year.  We likely would have ended up with either Andrew Thomas or Isaiah Simmons.  I prefer the path we took.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Brees started 6-1. How is that an apt comparison?

Now compare him to Heath Shuler. You have a winner.

Why are we using a W-L record for a QB instead of his stats? 

Why can't we admit that Brees wasn't a good QB for his first couple of years starting AND that it's also not necessarily likely that him turning it around means Haskins will?

His first two seasons starting Brees had a 59% completion rate, about a 72 QB rating, and 28 TDs to 31 INTs. And he arguably regressed noticeably from his first to second year starting.

He wasn't the worst QB in the NFL but he was average to poor.

Then in his 3rd year the light seemingly came on and he hasn't looked back since.

Again, admitting that Brees wasn't very good his first two seasons starting doesn't somehow mean that Haskins will turn out like Brees. I seriously doubt he will, unfortunately. IMO I just don't think he has that internal drive that great QBs like Brees have to be great and to work incredibly hard to do so.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Then in his 3rd year the light seemingly came on and he hasn't looked back since.

The light only came on when he was replaced by Phillip Rivers. 

If Rivers doesn't hold out his rookie year then Brees' career could've been over right there.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

10000% agree with this. Ron’s rationale for various things has been extremely suspect and shockingly amateurish. 

It appears (complete conjecture) he’s flying off the cuff with his rationale and sounds like someone operating on his own—Thoughts that have not been hashed out with others and agreed on by group. 

For me, it’s not about the benching Haskins, but the whole approach to the season and post game rationale for various decisions. 

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

The light only came on when he was replaced by Phillip Rivers. 

If Rivers doesn't hold out his rookie year then Brees' career could've been over right there.

You mean he didn't already have a maniacal work ethic in his early 20s before an external factor helped him grow into having one?

similar to how many of us feel, figured id add it to the pile :) the 6 min clip is worth a listen 

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2020-10-08-stop-saying-that-dwayne-haskins-got-a-raw-deal-losing-job-with-washington/

Ben Maller: “Ron Rivera is essentially saying that ‘Kyle Allen sucks less than Dwayne Haskins.’ Did Dwayne Haskins get a raw deal from Washington? I’m going to go thumbs down on this. We were pulling for Dwayne Haskins… Haskins has been FLUMMOXED, whether it’s been the speed of the NFL, the incompetence of the coaching staff, or all of the above. He looked totally confused, twisted into a pretzel, never able to get any kind of rhythm, and that makes you an abject failure in every sense. Let’s just be honest here and not beat around the bush. It is a bad sign when you are so atrocious that is looks like Dwayne Haskins has won a raffle to become the starting quarterback of the Washington football club. This is not some ‘boo-hoo’ story, he simply has been incapable of doing anything to buy him more time as the starter. What is Ron Rivera supposed to do?? He sees a guy who can’t get the job done at the position. Is this just a throwaway season, and are you supposed to suck, and all the players and coaches are just going to eat the losses and let Haskins go out there and drown week after week because he was a first round pick?? Eleven starts, and 13 miserable appearances, you have to seize the moment.” 

1 minute ago, scstand said:

similar to how many of us feel, figured id add it to the pile :) the 6 min clip is worth a listen 

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2020-10-08-stop-saying-that-dwayne-haskins-got-a-raw-deal-losing-job-with-washington/

Ben Maller: “Ron Rivera is essentially saying that ‘Kyle Allen sucks less than Dwayne Haskins.’ Did Dwayne Haskins get a raw deal from Washington? I’m going to go thumbs down on this. We were pulling for Dwayne Haskins… Haskins has been FLUMMOXED, whether it’s been the speed of the NFL, the incompetence of the coaching staff, or all of the above. He looked totally confused, twisted into a pretzel, never able to get any kind of rhythm, and that makes you an abject failure in every sense. Let’s just be honest here and not beat around the bush. It is a bad sign when you are so atrocious that is looks like Dwayne Haskins has won a raffle to become the starting quarterback of the Washington football club. This is not some ‘boo-hoo’ story, he simply has been incapable of doing anything to buy him more time as the starter. What is Ron Rivera supposed to do?? He sees a guy who can’t get the job done at the position. Is this just a throwaway season, and are you supposed to suck, and all the players and coaches are just going to eat the losses and let Haskins go out there and drown week after week because he was a first round pick?? Eleven starts, and 13 miserable appearances, you have to seize the moment.” 

Just the fact of the matter. His off the field stuff probably played a role in how fast he was cut off but he was so bad on the field it's just hard for Ron to justify wasting more of his time with him. Haskins was given a chance and he didn't take it. He only has himself to blame. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me, I'd add the work ethic stuff.  My optimism about him before the season was driven by him supposedly doing a 180 on that front, and working hard.  But if they are indeed questioning him on that front again, that's the kicker for me. 

And for those saying he's been accused of being lazy, that's not how i take it.  Every player works hard.  But for the Qb position, going back to the Arians book I read, most QBs to succeed need to be animals as to work ethic.  As Les Carperter said last night, what he got from his sources there was they were suprised he was squandering this opportunity via lack of preperation once he was given the starters job. 

I know a few here suggest all of this could be just made up.  But every guy from what I recall who covers this team talked about this issue last year.  It's not some odd conspiracy.  There was rumbilngs about Haskins on this front before the draft too, I posted those articles.

So if you think a dude has a lot to work on AND you don't think he will put in the time to rectify it.  That's a strong IMO double hit. 

Complete agreement. In order to fix what he does poorly takes work, lots and lots of work. Rivera and Turner don't see that effort--then time for him to sit. Maybe that gets his attention. The other big red flag were the missed opportunities. Every QB is going to have those, but it seems with Haskins, it's continuous. 

And for the screaming heads who say he needs more time--I want them to address these two things. What would it take for you to finally bench him.

I was on the Haskins train for a while--but I just to see those two things improving. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

10000% agree with this. Ron’s rationale for various things has been extremely suspect and shockingly amateurish. 

It appears (complete conjecture) he’s flying off the cuff with his rationale and sounds like someone operating on his own—Thoughts that have not been hashed out with others and agreed on by group. 

I found Rivera's rationale somewhat odd as well. I'm curious if the All-22 shows anyone even open in the end zone. If not, would RR have been happier if Haskins had just thrown it up for grabs into the end zone and possibly been intercepted? I guess it wouldn't really have mattered given the outcome of the play anyway. 

Passing Rushing
Rk Player Year G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A
Att Yds TD Y/A Lng
1 Dak Prescott 2020 4 1-3-0 137 201 68.2 1690 9 102.6 58 3 9 59 8.4 8.63 7.77 7.98 16 86 3 5.4 12
2 Dwayne Haskins 2020 4 1-3-0 89 146 61.0 939 4 80.3 40 3 13 101 6.4 6.05 5.27 4.92 13 30 1 2.3 19
3 Daniel Jones 2020 4 0-4-0 91 149 61.1 889 2 68.3 41 5 14 83 6.0 4.72 4.94 3.81 18 137 0 7.6 23
4 Carson Wentz 2020 4 1-2-1 97 160 60.6 930 4 66.9 55 7 14 100 5.8 4.34 4.77 3.42 19 111 3 5.8 24

Seems familiar, yet more pathetic. 🤔

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I found Rivera's rationale somewhat odd as well. I'm curious if the All-22 shows anyone even open in the end zone. If not, would RR have been happier if Haskins had just thrown it up for grabs into the end zone and possibly been intercepted? I guess it wouldn't really have mattered given the outcome of the play anyway. 

Duh! why do you think so many of us are scratching our heads as to why he checked it down after 2 seconds even after coaching staff told him this ball needed to be endzone or proximity. another example of refusing coaching and doing it his way.....QB needs to extend this play period and give your guy a chance. he had terry breaking into a small open window behind his check down if he extends play and gives it a chance.

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not to mention the fact that only 2 of the 5 available receivers ran routes into the end zone.  Just one big cluster****.

Archived