Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

I don't want to believe this, but he definitely seemed bizarrely happy after the Ravens game even though they lost. 

Yep, if i recall it was the Arizona game where I saw a wide smile to as the game was ending, I recall commeting on it on the game day thread when I saw it.   As Cooley said this wek, haskins completing dump offs and slants aren't impressive -- any college QB could do the same.   You want to see hard throws, that's why Cooley was ok with the Browns game because he attempted some hard ones. 

24 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Speaking for myself, Haskins had me checking out of the season.  I was flipping to RedZone during our possessions and only watching the defense.  And I never do that.w

I simply couldn’t bear to watch the kid spray the ball all over the yard anymore.  I suspect many on the roster and staff shared my opinion.

All of this.

For the first time since the Sanchez start vs. the Giants (prior to that, has to be at least a decade), I actually didn't care about missing the first part of the game and chose to go grocery shopping.  It didn't bother me in any capacity that I was most likely going to miss the majority of the first half.  As we all have, I've watched some dreadful QB play for this team.  I've known going into many games that we had no chance in hell of winning.  But watching Haskins play QB has just been dreadful.  The missing easy throws and sailing deep shots is just a major buzzkill.  And that is for me as a fan, I can't begin to imagine what it's like for players and staff.

22 minutes ago, profusion said:

Brees played well for the Chargers, to the point that it was controversial when they dropped him in favor of drafting a new QB. His injury was seen as career-threatening, and without that I can imagine the team keeping him.

He was a train wreck wrapped in a dumpster fire his first couple of seasons. His jump came when they drafted Rivers.

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Yes, but he showed a lot of promise through a whole season before that. If Haskins had done that last year instead of just 1 and a half games we would be having a different discussion.

Here is a list of all QBs drafted in the first round since 2000, 20 years of evidence. How many fall into the category you are talking about? Probably only one, Matthew Stafford. 1 guy in 20 years of first round QBs means that it is VERY VERY VERY unlikely that Haskins suddenly has what it takes. And I dont recall Stafford have any attitude or work ethic concerns.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/QBs-picked-in-first-round-of-NFL-Draft-since-2000-145643314/#145643314_8

Matt Stafford

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Josh Allen

We have no idea how Aaron Rodgers would have looked, but reports were how bad his footwork and mechanics were as a rookie and 2nd year player.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m fascinated and amused that the debate has turned to this basic question....”Is Dwayne Haskins the next Drew Brees?”

I’m gonna need to think on that for a while.  Really tough question!

Or Steve Young, which is another interesting comparison because he was traded for a second and 4th round pick which means he wasn't dumped, both teams recognized there was still plenty of potential. 

And drew Brees was benched that second year after a horrible start and then named the starter again later which could happen with haskins. 

We haven't given up on haskins yet but one thing I'm pretty sure of is that if we do and just outright release him he has a very very small chance of turning his career around. 

The draft may be a crapshoot but coaches know what they have in house and rarely get it wrong.

1 minute ago, Berggy9598 said:

He was a train wreck wrapped in a dumpster fire his first couple of seasons. His jump came when they drafted Rivers.

He was 6-1 in his first 7 starts. He regressed after that a bit and went back and forth with Doug Flutie starting. No one can legitimately compare Haskins to Brees if you want any semblance of credibility. The level of absurdity is mind boggling. 

Just now, redskinss said:

Or Steve Young, which is another interesting comparison because he was traded for a second and 4th round pick which means he wasn't dumped, both teams recognized there was still plenty of potential. 

And drew Brees was benched that second year after a horrible start and then named the starter again later which could happen with haskins. 

We haven't given up on haskins yet but one thing I'm pretty sure of is that if we do and just outright release him he has a very very small chance of turning his career around. 

The draft may be a crapshoot but coaches know what they have in house and rarely get it wrong.

Ah, so ask a question, receive a response to that question, then crap all over the answer.  That's the ES way.

History repeating itself again in Washington. So frustrating.

Owner drafts a QB. It goes South. Media and fans blame the coach and are brutally hard on his son/OC, saying his offense stinks, the talent is poor, no one gets open, etc...

Again, frustrating.

I live in LA and have adopted the Rams. So this weekend it's like rooting between my adopted nice successful son and my biological piece of crap who has been in and out of prison for 20 years (mostly in), keeps asking for money and promising to change, but never does. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ah, so ask a question, receive a response to that question, then crap all over the answer.  That's the ES way.

How many people have to disagree with you before you realize you may have a bad opinion?

I can't believe I let myself get dragged into this nonsense. 

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

History repeating itself again in Washington. So frustrating.

Owner drafts a QB. It goes South. Media and fans blame the coach and are brutally hard on his son/OC, saying his offense stinks, the talent is poor, no one gets open, etc...

Again, frustrating.

I live in LA and have adopted the Rams. So this weekend it's like rooting between my adopted nice successful son and my biological piece of crap who has been in and out of prison for 20 years (mostly in), keeps asking for money and promising to change, but never does. 

How were you able to do that? In my head I really would have liked to have done that and gotten season tickets to Sofi and watched competent play, but I’m in way too deep with this team. I’m stuck til I die unfortunately. Worst part is  I turned my son into a pretty huge fan too. At least my childhood was magical with Joe Gibbs. I kinda feel like it’s almost abusive  to do it, but then again it’s a great counterbalance for life lessons that it’s not always a participation trophy. 😂 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How many people have to disagree with you before you realize you may have a bad opinion?

I can't believe I let myself get dragged into this nonsense. 

You ask a question, I post a response answering it, and you get offended by the answer?  You're right, I'm done with this nonsense.

It's clear this move was due to non-gameday stuff, so comparing stats with other QBs is irrelevant. Most young QBs struggle, but they're also working hard and showing visible improvement in practice, if not right away in the games.

Haskins is flatlining. His game hasn't noticeably improved over last season. That backs up the reports that his habits aren't good.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Matt Stafford

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Josh Allen

We have no idea how Aaron Rodgers would have looked, but reports were how bad his footwork and mechanics were as a rookie and 2nd year player.

Matthew Stafford: Sure

Eli Manning: I dont think this is a good example for you, he didnt start his first year same as Haskins and went 2-7. He then followed up that with going 11-5 his second year. Haskins has regressed in the same amount of time basically. He didnt show what Manning showing his second year.

Alex Smith: I dont know about you, but I dont want to give Haskins another 4 years or so to see if he eventually comes out at Smiths level. Took Smith until his 4th or 5th season to be decently productive. And I dont think anyone would argue he was great. And Im saying that as a fan of his.

Josh Allen: Are you forgetting about his rushing ability? Look at the yards and TDs he produced on the ground in addition to in the air. If Haskins had that ability then people would be a lot more patient with him. And I remember people seeing progress his understand during his second year.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Matthew Stafford: Sure

Eli Manning: I dont think this is a good example for you, he didnt start his first year same as Haskins and went 2-7. He then followed up that with going 11-5 his second year. Haskins has regressed in the same amount of time basically. He didnt show what Manning showing his second year.

Alex Smith: I dont know about you, but I dont want to give Haskins another 4 years or so to see if he eventually comes out at Smiths level. Took Smith until his 4th or 5th season to be decently productive. And I dont think anyone would argue he was great. And Im saying that as a fan of his.

Josh Allen: Are you forgetting about his rushing ability? Look at the yards and TDs he produced on the ground in addition to in the air. If Haskins had that ability then people would be a lot more patient with him. And I remember people seeing progress his understand during his second year.

As I said, you can poke holes in any comparison.  I was asked to list the QBs who started poorly and turned it around.  I did.  And there are plenty more who weren't drafted in the 1st round.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

People also forget how terrible Cousins looked in 2013/2014, after being a 4-year college starter.

I think if Haskins was a 2nd or 3rd round pick a lot of this would be different. Both in how he seeys himself, how the fans see him, and it would have been better in not rushing him to play. To give him a chance to sit 3 years and hope he improves.

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

How were you able to do that? In my head I really would have liked to have done that and gotten season tickets to Sofi and watched competent play, but I’m in way too deep with this team. I’m stuck til I die unfortunately. Worst part is  I turned my son into a pretty huge fan too. At least my childhood was magical with Joe Gibbs. I kinda feel like it’s almost abusive  to do it, but then again it’s a great counterbalance for life lessons that it’s not always a participation trophy. 😂 

Getting McVay really tipped things for me. But yeah, my heart is still with the WFT. I grew up going to the games during the glory years. Still holding out hope that Snyder is forced to sell at some point. 

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I think if Haskins was a 2nd or 3rd round pick a lot of this would be different. Both in how he seeys himself, how the fans see him, and it would have been better in not rushing him to play. To give him a change to sit 3 years and hope he improves.

True.  But my overall point is that plenty of QBs has improved after poor starts to their careers.  And most don't have to go through 3 systems to do it.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As I said, you can poke holes in any comparison.  I was asked to list the QBs who started poorly and turned it around.  I did.  And there are plenty more who weren't drafted in the 1st round.

Brees started 6-1. How is that an apt comparison?

Now compare him to Heath Shuler. You have a winner.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

True.  But my overall point is that plenty of QBs has improved after poor starts to their careers.  And most don't have to go through 3 systems to do it.

I dont think I would be so far down on him if it wasn't for the apparently attitude problem. There were little things throughout the offseason that concerned me, made me think he didn't take criticism well, and it seems like that is turning out to be the case. IF its true as reported that he worked hard until he was given the starting job and then started coasting again, hes done. Its that kind of stuff which makes me think hes just not good enough, doesn't have the mentality to make it.  No one with that mentality is going to have the drive to turn it around.

22 hours ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Since when has everything been dependent on the development of Haskins. I sure as heck don't think Ron was ever under the impression that he had to develop Haskins or he was a failure. And patience with building a winning culture and program was not dependent on Haskins either. That's just something people that developed an emotional attachment to Haskins believes. Those of us that didn't aren't phased by this at all. 

That sounds good to you but winning teams don't think this way. Emotional attachment?? Of course developing your young QB is a priority. Even debating that is a part of the loser culture only found in Washington. This move is not a winning culture move unless every player who played poorly is benched. Otherwise it's a scapegoat move.

Archived