Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is the primary reason for our disconnect.  I just don't know how anyone can expect a player on his 3rd HC, in his 3rd system (really 4th, since KOC's offense was so different from Callahan's) to show significant improvement in 4 starts.

That's the thing though... I don't think anyone was looking for significant improvement. Let's face it, the bamma started to regress. The Haskins I saw the first four weeks of the season wasn't giving me the vibes that I got towards the end of the year. Sure, he was in a new system with new coaching but he wasn't connecting on simple stuff.

Now, seeing how he's acting after being benched, I don't care if he had a raw deal, that's a trash look on his part and to me shows that the coaching staff made the best decision for the team, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You expect to see something. Like I’ve said, I thought he could get more time, but I haven’t seen almost any improvement from him from a fan perspective and not in the locker room. If the info coming out is true, that leads me to further believe he isn’t and will never be the answer in DC.

But as far as ON-FIELD development, I don’t think he has that in him. Not for this franchise. He and the franchise have burned bridges to ashes on one another. The guy needs a shot somewhere else... where maybe they find a way to get that improvement out of him. 

There are small glimpses and there is a chance he can make it if he can make those glimpses consistent. I’m not one saying he can’t and never will play in this league.

But I don’t think he can develop here. 

Okay, I understand your perspective, but we just disagree.  I think it's ridiculous to only give Haskins only 4 starts in a new system before yanking him, but I understand that's not where you stand.  There are some respected folks out there who agree with me and some respected folks out there who agree with you, so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

There it is again and no one can answer it. How is moving on from Haskins akin to sacrificing the future? Especially if they don't think he can get right.

That's what's ridiculous about all this media scrutiny and comments. Ron never indicated once that Haskins was the future of this franchise and that he was going to build around him. For those that didn't think Haskins was the long term solution, this benching changing absolutely nothing. We just get to evaluate another young qb. So many of these people are talking as if Haskins was the key piece to our future. It's weird because there definitely was no reason to believe that based on Ron or his play last year or this year. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Drew Brees was drafted in the second round. And he wasnt horrible back then when it wasnt as pass heavy as it is now.

Not to mention the fact that Brees was tagged and offered a huge contract before the chargers finally moved on to rivers.

I'm looking for an example of a first round quarterback who a team moved on from because their stats were absolutely terrible and then they became a franchise quarterback elsewhere.

I doubt there's many examples if any.

Edited by redskinss

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Drew Brees was drafted in the second round. And he wasnt horrible back then when it wasnt as pass heavy as it is now.

I mean, he was pick #32, but yes, technically, he was drafted in the 2nd round.  But the original question was if he played "poorly", which he did, even by the standards back then.

3 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Brees played well for the Chargers, to the point that it was controversial when they dropped him in favor of drafting a new QB. His injury was seen as career-threatening, and without that I can imagine the team keeping him.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, he was pick #32, but yes, technically, he was drafted in the 2nd round.  But the original question was if he played "poorly", which he did, even by the standards back then.

He was never the lowest-rated QB in the league and the main worry about him was his height, not his attitude or work ethic. He had the rotator cuff thing happen, but it was still a head-scratcher at the time when Rivers was drafted.

Edited by ntotoro

Speaking for myself, Haskins had me checking out of the season.  I was flipping to RedZone during our possessions and only watching the defense.  And I never do that.w

I simply couldn’t bear to watch the kid spray the ball all over the yard anymore.  I suspect many on the roster and staff shared my opinion.

• Thanks 3
Just now, ntotoro said:

He was never the lowest-rated QB in the league and the main worry about him was his height, not his attitude or work ethic.

He had a 76.9 and 67.5 passer rating in his first two years starting in the league.  Haskins' current passer rating is 80.3.

Steve Young is another.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He had a 76.9 and 67.5 passer rating in his first two years starting in the league.  Haskins' current passer rating is 80.3.

15-16 years ago. What was that like in relation to the competition? Haskins is the worst right now.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Good lord, someone was going after Haskins for the car he bought with his (large) rookie signing bonus, way back last May when he first got here? That’s the type of person that makes anyone with a legitimate gripe look bad. 

The custom made Haskins Mobile in classic burgundy and gold.

image.png.975a4c15620197246e66d1e10f72d99f.png

• Haha 1
Just now, ntotoro said:

15-16 years ago. What was that like in relation to the competition? Haskins is the worst right now.

Brees ranked 29th out of 32.

And Steve Young ranked 24th out of 27 in passer rating in his last year before going to the Niners.

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Chargers started out 6-1, and then fell off to 8-8. The stories written in the news leading into the 2003 season after his first season were positive and talked glowingly about his instinct, his knowledge of the game, you couldnt confuse him with lots of different looks, and how catchable his balls were. They were very high on him after his first season, I dont see it as comparable.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

When you take over a job as the new HC of a bad franchise, you get a little rope. But not a lot. The players, if they didn’t believe Rivera was working towards their best interest would very likely turn. Or, at the least, sour. Once that happens, the rot spreads. And soon your entire locker room is a cesspool. 

If the Team is winning, it’s easier to weather that storm. But when they aren’t it’s not. 

Those were the expectations he set forth at the beginning of the season.  I don't think we can say Dan twisted his arm to try not to win this season.  We know that's not his nature.  

Rivera and Cam have a good relationship. Even though Cam is eccentric and not what Rivera expects. He suspended him for attire once, but I think Rivera learned a little something from that episode as well.

I didn't see any inklings of mutual interest or even conjecture about it making sense.   But Ron also had the inside track on Newton's actual health.   

Its not easy to control the locker room of any team. I ask this, not flippantly, but curiously: Have you ever been in a locker room as a coach our authority figure? They are almost always manageable, but sometimes decisions have to be made. 

I believe it was likely bad enough to illicit the change and that’s why it occurred. I also believe his play absolutely played a role. 

But I do appreciate good discourse on the subject, so... thanks for the response and your perspective.

Not as a coach.  I just can't see a lockerroom dictating that kind of change this early on.   The vast majority of these guys don't have tenure to really say much.  And there would be a tangible benefit in representing it as a collective decision, to be certain.  

I always see how the player's words/actions impact the lockerroom.  What about Ron?  Couldn't his inconsistent messaging also affect the team's psyche?  Couldn't guys stop believing in his messaging if he's going to change his mind and direction whenever he sees fit?  

I'm really just questioning if Ron is going to be able to build/execute a multi-year rebuilding plan, when he can't even commit to getting out of (what he feels) is step 1.  

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Chargers started out 6-1, and then fell off to 8-8. The stories written in the news leading into the 2003 season after his first season were positive and talked glowingly about his instinct, his knowledge of the game, you couldnt confuse him with lots of different looks, and how catchable his balls were. They were very high on him after his first season, I dont see it as comparable.

And in his 2nd season as the starter he went 2-9, with a 67.5 passer rating.

1 minute ago, megared said:

Those were the expectations he set forth at the beginning of the season.  I don't think we can say Dan twisted his arm to try not to win this season.  We know that's not his nature.  

I didn't see any inklings of mutual interest or even conjecture about it making sense.   But Ron also had the inside track on Newton's actual health.   

Not as a coach.  I just can't see a lockerroom dictating that kind of change this early on.   The vast majority of these guys don't have tenure to really say much.  And there would be a tangible benefit in representing it as a collective decision, to be certain.  

I always see how the player's words/actions impact the lockerroom.  What about Ron?  Couldn't his inconsistent messaging also affect the team's psyche?  Couldn't guys stop believing in his messaging if he's going to change his mind and direction whenever he sees fit?  

I'm really just questioning if Ron is going to be able to build/execute a multi-year rebuilding plan, when he can't even commit to getting out of (what he feels) is step 1.  

Kendall Fuller seems to be supportive of the move and said the locker room was okay with it... or at least I thought I saw that tweet. Who knows anymore. 

A lot of talk about a 4th stringer. Dwayne Haskins earned his current status. What exactly earned it, the coaches know. I trust the coaches. You don't get demoted that way for nothing. 

Time to move on. If those who love Dwayne so much; you will have a new team to watch your guy. The XFL whatevers in 21.

Ohio St. Doesn't have a history of producing NFL Qbs. Who was the last successful, Ohio St QB?

Also, Qbs with just one year of starting; don't have a good track record in the NFL. I am sure there's one season wonder that had a good career, but name escapes me.

I wish Kyle well and will be on pins and needles, if Alex plays. I believe our long term QB isn't on the team.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

And in his 2nd season as the starter he went 2-9, with a 67.5 passer rating.

Yes, but he showed a lot of promise through a whole season before that. If Haskins had done that last year instead of just 1 and a half games we would be having a different discussion.

Here is a list of all QBs drafted in the first round since 2000, 20 years of evidence. How many fall into the category you are talking about? Probably only one, Matthew Stafford. 1 guy in 20 years of first round QBs means that it is VERY VERY VERY unlikely that Haskins suddenly has what it takes. And I dont recall Stafford have any attitude or work ethic concerns.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/QBs-picked-in-first-round-of-NFL-Draft-since-2000-145643314/#145643314_8

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

If this is true (and I do not put a lot of weight on 106.7's "analysis," especially coming from Dip**** and Douchey), this is a bad look.

I don't want to believe this, but he definitely seemed bizarrely happy after the Ravens game even though they lost. 

• Like 1

A leader would handle this situation (fairly or unfairly) with more grace, self-awareness, and humility. 

Dwaynes response to this (from what we know) has been on the other side of the spectrum... (Though certainly not  TO level antics)

Not the reaction I’m hoping to see from a ‘Franchise QB’ or Team Captain.

Hell, I’d even settle for more “the league messed up” style response than the pouting, blaming, and hubris I see now 

Y'all bringing up Brees but you really think Haskins will ever get as accurate as Brees has become now? Steve Young is an awful comparison since Young went to the 9ers to rebuild his career learning from the GOAT offensive coach in Bill Walsh. And Young always had mobility and athleticism.

Haskins is slow, not a great athlete, not particularly accurate, and has poor mechanics/footwork. His redeeming quailty was his arm strength and (alleged)football IQ. But the IQ doesn't actually seem that high and you can only get so far with raw arm strength.

Kid's a bust. He'll be out of football completely in a couple years tops.

• Like 1

I thought Haskins deserved more starts, but.....

What I now find important is how Haskins is handling the situation.  All he had to do, was shut up and work hard.  He likely would have earned another chance to start either by merit or injury.  Instead, it seems, the the kid is burning bridges.  I thought he deserved more starts, but this response has me thinking the coaches were right.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Josh Allen can scramble and has pocket awareness.  People who post his rookie stats always leave off his rushing numbers. 

Josh Allen is a freak athlete. Dwayne is not. 

• Like 1
  • TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic