Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 5/15/2019 at 6:13 PM, mistertim said:

My worry about Haskins starting immediately is that if he does and he struggles mightily, it could really mess up his development arc. He has such limited experience and when you combine that with mediocre to poor lower body mechanics, as well as only having played behind an elite OL and with a stacked stable of 4.3-4.4 receivers who can do a bunch of the heavy lifting, I think pushing him in there too fast could be a recipe for disaster. If and only if Jay truly thinks he's ready do I want him in there. From what Jay has said it sounds like he's fine with taking it slow for now, which is good to hear. I just hope Dan doesn't stick his nose in and start pushing Jay to start Haskins...especially if the season doesn't start out well. 

Good stuff. Part of me being unafraid of playing him sooner than later, is that he is a big thick kid. He ain't no fragile Freddie and physically he is ready. He is not like Heath Shuler getting rag dolled around.

I think getting benched isn't always a bad thing, as long as Haskins accepts that it was a disaster.  Jay could cut this all off at the pass and tell him "I want you in there learning feet to the fire, but if you have major struggles, I am pulling you back out - sound good kid??"  Coaching may often be about managing egos expectations.

It would be an ego check and learning experience for sure, but a piece of humble pie can be filling even if it tastes like ****.

The problem I have with waiting, is expecting not playing to make him learn quicker, or a better player.  Say he finally gets in there in week 15 and promptly eager beaver throws 2 pickles and has fumble, then what.  When he does get in there, I think most are assuming he is going to be better off (our OL may be in shambles, for instance).  While I concede he may not be worse off by sitting for a year, I do think the mental aspect of sitting can come to the surface. Never playing, isn't that all far away from playing and then getting benched.

I am not concerned, for in Jay we trust to know what plays the kid can run, and when.

Haskins isn't making $8M a year, he received a signing bonus of $8.47M and his entire contract is worth $14.4M guaranteed so he's already received almost 60% of his entire contract in that upfront bonus, after the state of Virginia and the Fed gets ahold of him you can reduce that by about 35%.

So of that upfront cash he has about $5.5 M in net cash to play with and that car cost about $250k, so he basically spent 5% of his cash on a car, I guarantee you his financial advisor didn't think it was smart, personally I don't care because its none of my business but from a financial standpoint it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

It's typical of young people when they get their first big check, it's not just athletes who are wasteful with money.

22 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

, so he basically spent 5% of his cash on a car, I guarantee you his financial advisor didn't think it was smart,

Let's assume for a minute that the car cost 5 percent of his net earnings over the next 4 years, (which is forgetting about the 6 million he still has coming to him) it's still far less than most people spend as a percentage of their income on a car.

And i hope you'd be hard pressed to find a financial advisor who feels a 250 thousand dollar car is a "smart purchase" its obviously an extravagance he wanted to pamper himself with and standing alone is nothing in comparison to his income. 

Time will tell if this is a pattern or just a celebratory purchase but for now I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

So where are all these “haters” at?

I see a bunch of folks at the podium shouting down folks “hating” on Haskins Bentley purchase.

One Junkie said it was “kind of” a red flag.  I said I can see why some would we see it that way.

But I’m missing the barrage of hate.  Sometimes you guys like to make enemies for the sake of making enemies.  Maybe a better way to put it, is many in this fanbase love to create and/or exaggerate slights against anyone attached to the franchise.  From Wapo to Mara to now the huge clan of Dwayne Haskins car purchase haters. 🤣

41 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Good stuff. Part of me being unafraid of playing him sooner than later, is that he is a big thick kid. He ain't no fragile Freddie and physically he is ready. He is not like Heath Shuler getting rag dolled around.

I think getting benched isn't always a bad thing, as long as Haskins accepts that it was a disaster.  Jay could cut this all off at the pass and tell him "I want you in there learning feet to the fire, but if you have major struggles, I am pulling you back out - sound good kid??"  Coaching may often be about managing egos expectations.

It would be an ego check and learning experience for sure, but a piece of humble pie can be filling even if it tastes like ****.

The problem I have with waiting, is expecting not playing to make him learn quicker, or a better player.  Say he finally gets in there in week 15 and promptly eager beaver throws 2 pickles and a has fumble, then what.  When he does get in there, I think most are assuming he is going to be better off (our OL may be in shambles, for instance).  While I concede he may not be worse off by sitting for a year, I do think the mental aspect of sitting can come to the surface. Never playing, isn't that all far away from playing and then getting benched.

I am not concerned, for in Jay we trust to know what plays the kid can run, and when.

Yeah, I know it sounds like I was being negative but I'm honestly more on the fence than anything else. On one hand I'd love to see him play immediately as he certainly has plenty of talent and I'd love to see him become a franchise QB for us for many years to come, but on the other hand I'm wary about how it would affect him if he really struggles badly and gets rag dolled all over.

It isn't that I think he's fragile or anything, but the fact is that he really hasn't faced all that much adversity before. He was great in HS, had one great college season with a stellar supporting cast, and is now making an enormous jump in speed and complexity of defenses into the NFL. From everything I've seen and read, he's a very smart kid so I don't think that will be an issue, it's just getting his footwork, reads, and reactions up to snuff. 

Now obviously this stuff is true for every rookie QB, but it may be more so for a guy with only 1 year of starting experience in college. But at the end of the day, we just don't really know how he'll deal with it. He may be unflappable, he may fold and be shell-shocked, or he may be somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately the only way to know is to let it happen, but I'll leave it up to the coaches for when that should be as they know far more than I do about it. As I said, it seems like Jay is fine with taking it slow if need be, and that's excellent. I just hope that he doesn't get pressure from Dan and Bruce to put him in before he may be ready.

This thread is full of amazing financial advice, rules for how much money you're allowed to spend on car after signing any contracts. I think ES needs to collaborate and send Dwayne a grocery list of what he is and isn't allowed to buy.

First off, cereal: Buying Lucky Charms is a big red flag, that's .0000002% of his contract, that's way too much. His financial advisor should put his foot down and limit it to Great Value brand only.

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

or Haskins getting the 3/4 Pound Triple Burger from Wendy's and a Milkshake, to add to his already large and relatively non-fast body frame.

Did he really?

Ok I'm starting to lean towards him being a mistake. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

He is not like Heath Shuler getting rag dolled around.

tenor.gif?itemid=5395747

52 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So where are all these “haters” at?

I see a bunch of folks at the podium shouting down folks “hating” on Haskins Bentley purchase.

eS 101, if there is no issue, create one.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just about to post the O'Connell wired bit.  It was good stuff.  It makes me wonder what they'd do if some other team wants to interview him next year for a HC job.  Some say he's the next McVay. 

I know our coaching tree on offense is surprisingly good, but most guys still need more than 1 year of a good offense to get that attention.  After 2012, Kyle Shanahan didn't get 1 call to interview for HC.  He only got that after another good year in Atlanta.  McVay needed 2 seasons as OC before he got tabbed.

I think 2 years is minimum for O'Connell if Dwayne Haskins steps in and is legitimately good out of the gate.  That's still a longshot imo, as Gruden is calling the plays in 2019.  McVay was doing the calling for both of his years.  I'm going to guess O'Connell's actual minimum is 3 years.  This timetable could be rushed, if the FO thinks they have to promote him to Jay Gruden's job or lose him.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just about to post the O'Connell wired bit.  It was good stuff.  It makes me wonder what they'd do if some other team wants to interview him next year for a HC job.  Some say he's the next McVay. 

If he is, you have to start respecting our ability to find guys like this. 

I would be sad to see him go just like Mcvay (assuming hes half as good) but I would be happy, cause that would mean we had some level of success.

Seems like premature jubilation over O'Connell.

He could be a good one, but there's just no evidence yet.

So far, what are his great accomplishments, or claim to fame ? That he helped Josh Johnson go from being an awful QB, to a not-quite-so-awful QB ?

He's got an Irish name like McVay. Other than that, I have a hard time finding parallels.

I realize people claim that "insiders" at Redskins Park are high on him, but that's not truly meaningful evidence.

18 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I know our coaching tree on offense is surprisingly good, but most guys still need more than 1 year of a good offense to get that attention.  After 2012, Kyle Shanahan didn't get 1 call to interview for HC.  He only got that after another good year in Atlanta.  McVay needed 2 seasons as OC before he got tabbed.

I think 2 years is minimum for O'Connell if Dwayne Haskins steps in and is legitimately good out of the gate.  That's still a longshot imo, as Gruden is calling the plays in 2019.  McVay was doing the calling for both of his years.  I'm going to guess O'Connell's actual minimum is 3 years.  This timetable could be rushed, if the FO thinks they have to promote him to Jay Gruden's job or lose him.

Normally, I'd agree but as some national reporters have purported the new thing might be to get the young guys when you can.  So not sure teams are going to be as conservative as they've been in the past as to wanting more experience.  

I am not one of the Jay haters on the board so am not that nervous about this but wonder if Dan would be as for losing another young up and comer if it comes to that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/next-mcvay-high-praise-follows-after-redskins-promote-kevin-oconnell-offensive-coordinator

Smith's words are high praise, as on Sunday McVay will become the youngest head coach in NFL history to coach in a Super Bowl when the Los Angeles Rams take on the Patriots.

The two spent time together in 2016, when Smith was a receiver and O'Connell was an offensive assistant for the San Francisco 49ers. Clearly, the veteran pass catcher enjoyed their short time together. Following up on his first tweet, Smith made another post in response to a user who disagreed with the original statement.

O'Connell and McVay do have similarities. Much like how O'Connell has quickly risen through the coaching ranks at only 33 years old, McVay did the same in Washington during his time there. Starting out as an assistant tight ends coach in 2010, McVay was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2014 and remained in that position until he accepted the head coaching position for the Los Angeles Rams following the 2016 NFL season. 

A comparison to McVay may feel bittersweet to some Redskins fans, but Washington seems to be making sure that another young, smart mind won't be helping lead a different team to the Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If he is, you have to start respecting our ability to find guys like this. 

I would be sad to see him go just like Mcvay (assuming hes half as good) but I would be happy, cause that would mean we had some level of success.

Yeah on offense we've had some talented coaches over the years -- both for Shanny and Jay.  Not so much on defense

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So far, what are his great accomplishments, or claim to fame ? That he helped Josh Johnson go from being an awful QB, to a not-quite-so-awful QB ?

He's got an Irish name like McVay. Other than that, I have a hard time finding parallels.

I realize people claim that "insiders" at Redskins Park are high on him, but that's not truly meaningful evidence.

Just talking in hypotheticals cause it was presented, thats all. He hasnt taken a snap yet either >_>

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

No premature jubilation from me.  I got no idea about O'Connell.  But its hard to miss that he has a growing rep and not just here.    Jay in an interview admitted that they had to promote him in part because there was some interest in him around the league.  In the midst of the Haskins stuff I watched included praise by others about O'Connell.  He came up because his relationship with Day from Ohio State which was a subplot in the pick to some.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

This thread is full of amazing financial advice, rules for how much money you're allowed to spend on car after signing any contracts. I think ES needs to collaborate and send Dwayne a grocery list of what he is and isn't allowed to buy.

First off, cereal: Buying Lucky Charms is a big red flag, that's .0000002% of his contract, that's way too much. His financial advisor should put his foot down and limit it to Great Value brand only.

Yukk..lucky charms.. really??..that's not cereal my friend.. if it don't have chocolate in it it's not cereal..

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No premature jubilation from me.  I got no idea about O'Connell.  But its hard to miss that he has a growing rep and not just here.    Jay in an interview admitted that they had to promote him in part because there was some interest in him around the league.  In the midst of the Haskins stuff I watched included praise by others about O'Connell.  He came up because his relationship with Day from Ohio State which was a subplot in the pick to some.

I find it "curious" that he would generate so much interest around the league, after a) such a short stint, and b) no real notable accomplishments. I'm just speculating here, because I'm curious and don't have much evidence, but could it possibly be that it has more to do with Jay generating a rep around the league, for grooming assistants ? Some might not like that hypothesis, but is there a better explanation for why someone like O'Connell would have, not just a good rep inside Redskins Park, but also externally throughout the league ?

Archived