Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Brady is actually very active on Instagram.

Article states, before this past season, he did not even have an active twitter account.

One could argue, at his stage of his career, that he's earned the freedom to tweet, as it won't hold him back as much as a 1st or 2nd year QB, who's still learning the fundamentals of a new league.

Brady practically could play the game with his eyes closed these days, so twitter is probably not a distraction for him at this point.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Article states, before this past season, he did not even have an active twitter account.

One could argue, at his stage of his career, that he's earned the freedom to tweet, as it won't hold him back as much as a 1st or 2nd year QB, who's still learning the fundamentals of a new league.

Brady practically could play the game with his eyes closed these days, so twitter is probably not a distraction for him at this point.

I'm not on Twitter. I follow Brady on IG. He posts a LOT. During the season he posts hype videos before games and after wins. He also posts random family/vacation stuff in the off season.

On 4/16/2020 at 2:57 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's something I actively avoid hyping myself up about because there's just too many pitfalls right now but if Haskins works out, with our defense led by Young and a guy like Rivera coaching...I mean it's too much to even dwell on for long, this early in the process. Because the implications for a fanbase like ours...it would change everything. Haskins panning out would be truly franchise-altering. Which is the case with every QB obviously but he really has the tools to follow through, hypothetically. 

Haskins is a blue chipper.  He's good enough, but I'm not sure this organization is good enough.  We are so hopelessly dysfunctional.

I'm praying we turned a corner with the Rivera hire.  I'm a lot more skeptical about the front office than I am about Haskins.  They're on the guilty until proven innocent level of skepticism.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Haskins is a blue chipper.  He's good enough, but I'm not sure this organization is good enough.  We are so hopelessly dysfunctional.

I'm praying we turned a corner with the Rivera hire.  I'm a lot more skeptical about the front office than I am about Haskins.  They're on the guilty until proven innocent level of skepticism.

It all starts from the top down. If that top is RR (which it appears it might be), we are in real good shape. DH included. The past is just that. The past. But I get your skepticism.

I'm excited about RR's "trickle-down theory". And I'm not speaking of Ronald Reagan!

~Hail

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm not cheering against him but he is mediocre until proven otherwise. He was nothing more than that in his body of work last year, not going to ignore all the missed throws I watched last season. So yeah he has a lot to prove

This will be unpopular and I get it, I'm crapping in people's chili here.  He wasn't mediocre last year. He was bad. I mean baaaad. Laughably bad. Ryan Leaf bad. Why has everyone forgotten the first five games?  Don't remember anyone disagreeing with this assessment at that point. Then game 6 he wasn't Ryan Leaf bad. Game 7 he played against an Iggles D that clearly had no interest in playing next week in the playoffs and he looked much better.  But he was standing back there tossing the ball to wide open guys.  He did that pretty well, but that was the only time last year that he looked like somebody that should have been drafted in the first 4 rounds. Then 90% of folks seemed to do a 180 on him and now he is great and the future and we are set.

its hard for me to figure that the light switch just flipped on that game and that is the QB he is.  One game didn't move the needle for me.  Having said all that, he is young and who knows quite yet? Unless the draft shocks us all, he is the guy this year, so I am all for him to be our stud for 15 years. But so far he is a long way from good NFL QB. Franchise QB is a whole other discussion.

• Like 5

Regarding the targets to Quinn... I've been saying this for a while, but Quinn was beyond terrible last season.

I've never seen such a low passer rating and EPA/P when throwing to one particular player with double-digit targets.

582294582_ScreenShot2020-04-18at3_40_10PM.thumb.png.b1b5796a625a7374ca7494094a0adfcd.png

Keenum also struggled when targeting Quinn.

881649786_ScreenShot2020-04-18at3_48_53PM.thumb.png.86d1c3f3793c5024d3900f2859a76e2f.png

3 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

This will be unpopular and I get it, I'm crapping in people's chili here.  He wasn't mediocre last year. He was bad. I mean baaaad. Laughably bad. Ryan Leaf bad. Why has everyone forgotten the first five games?  Don't remember anyone disagreeing with this assessment at that point. Then game 6 he wasn't Ryan Leaf bad. Game 7 he played against an Iggles D that clearly had no interest in playing next week in the playoffs and he looked much better.  But he was standing back there tossing the ball to wide open guys.  He did that pretty well, but that was the only time last year that he looked like somebody that should have been drafted in the first 4 rounds. Then 90% of folks seemed to do a 180 on him and now he is great and the future and we are set.

its hard for me to figure that the light switch just flipped on that game and that is the QB he is.  One game didn't move the needle for me.  Having said all that, he is young and who knows quite yet? Unless the draft shocks us all, he is the guy this year, so I am all for him to be our stud for 15 years. But so far he is a long way from good NFL QB. Franchise QB is a whole other discussion.

I'm kind of here too, considering that he went 15 in a QB crappy draft to us because Danny wanted him. he truly did look awful last year. Any hopes of him being good is strictly based off his last year in college.... that is it

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm kind of here too, considering that he went 15 in a QB crappy draft to us because Danny wanted him. he truly did look awful last year. Any hopes of him being good is strictly based off his last year in college.... that is it

You realise that from the time he actually started he rated 10th overall in the league. Right? If you can’t watch his last two starts in particular and not see anything positive then I don’t know what you were watching. I’ve always been high on Haskins, liked him in the draft and was pleased we drafted him. But he was raw - had some mechanical issues that need cleaning up and needed snaps. He had hardly played. 

I was concerned about his play when he came on in those early relief outings. He was clearly unprepared (and some of that is on him as well as some being on the coaching staff). I was also concerned about his lack of accuracy. And based on what we saw in that action and the part his lack of preparation played in those performances it’s perfectly reasonable to have doubts about Haskins. But to not see progress - and significant progress at that - when he finally got the starting job, that baffles me.

it remains to be seen if he can continue to develop from what we saw the last two games in particular. Progress is not always linear. And he has to learn a new system. Personally I think if we continue to add talent around him and show some patience we are going to be in really good shape at QB. Patience, commitment to him and providing a good supporting cast - pretty much what any young QB needs to support his development. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Funny how much this thread resembles some of the political ones in the Tailgate. People are just set hard on their opinion and nothing's gonna move 'em.

Me? ALL bets are off IMO, the pervasive dysfunctional bitterness seeping thru the franchise kept anyone from producing, I am amazed that McLaurin rose above it all and just played, speaks volumes about that young man's character. 

Haskins or Allen or Guice or _________ (fill in the blank) were all kneecapped by Snyderitis, everyone starts from zero in my book now. The real pressure is gonna be on Rivera to turn chicken**** into chicken salad, but I've got the warm fuzzies on that 'cuz he strikes me as a genuinely tough coach, not a hard one but a tough one that is going to whip this team into shape.

SB? Not this year, and it's just stupid to use that yardstick but better? Yep. Lots better? Maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Haskins or Allen or Guice or _________ (fill in the blank) were all kneecapped by Snyderitis, everyone starts from zero in my book now.

There is where I'm at too. There is a lot to like about Haskins--even in his bad games, there was at least some promise. I think he sees the field well and I think he reads defenses well. After specifically watching his mechanics, some of his throws were back yard football level bad.

And he showed marked improvement despite the utter ****-show the staff was last year. Both sides of the ball were just a mess. How much did that impact individual performance--especially on defense? How did the **** training staff affect Guice's recovery or rehab? I feel like all aspects of this team are up for debate. We had some good individual coaches, but no one was on the same page, clearly.

• Like 1

DH wasn’t supposed to play at all last year. He had one year of college and the best thing would have been to keep him on the bench, learning, practicing and getting used to the speed of how hard it is to process everything in such a short period of time. 

no one should have been surprised at his early struggles and no one should be surprised he got better as the season went on. 

for those stating that the eagles defense wasn’t interested in playing, ask those fierce competitors playing a rival with a rookie QB if they didn’t care. Such a dumb argument.

16 hours ago, MartinC said:

You realise that from the time he actually started he rated 10th overall in the league. Right? If you can’t watch his last two starts in particular and not see anything positive then I don’t know what you were watching. I’ve always been high on Haskins, liked him in the draft and was pleased we drafted him. But he was raw - had some mechanical issues that need cleaning up and needed snaps. He had hardly played. 

I was concerned about his play when he came on in those early relief outings. He was clearly unprepared (and some of that is on him as well as some being on the coaching staff). I was also concerned about his lack of accuracy. And based on what we saw in that action and the part his lack of preparation played in those performances it’s perfectly reasonable to have doubts about Haskins. But to not see progress - and significant progress at that - when he finally got the starting job, that baffles me.

it remains to be seen if he can continue to develop from what we saw the last two games in particular. Progress is not always linear. And he has to learn a new system. Personally I think if we continue to add talent around him and show some patience we are going to be in really good shape at QB. Patience, commitment to him and providing a good supporting cast - pretty much what any young QB needs to support his development. 

I'm not cheering against him. But I won't ignore what I watched, nor will I ignore the bad and only look at the good. His full season of work was right on Par with Allan. So yeah he has a lot to prove to me, and I mean a lot. I am way more worried he is nothing more than Allan than thinking he could really be a winning QB. His throwing motion and accuracy scare the crap out of me.

31 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm not cheering against him. But I won't ignore what I watched, nor will I ignore the bad and only look at the good. His full season of work was right on Par with Allan. So yeah he has a lot to prove to me, and I mean a lot. I am way more worried he is nothing more than Allan than thinking he could really be a winning QB. His throwing motion and accuracy scare the crap out of me.

NFL Gamepass is free to access right now. Go watch his starts again - started rocky but with signs of improvement and then got better and better. Eagles and Giants games are right up there with some of the best QB play we have had in quite a while. 

Again I get the concerns. Totally reasonable. But you can’t ignore the good anymore than you ignore the bad. And the good was what he ended on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

DH wasn’t supposed to play at all last year. He had one year of college and the best thing would have been to keep him on the bench, learning, practicing and getting used to the speed of how hard it is to process everything in such a short period of time. 

no one should have been surprised at his early struggles and no one should be surprised he got better as the season went on. 

for those stating that the eagles defense wasn’t interested in playing, ask those fierce competitors playing a rival with a rookie QB if they didn’t care. Such a dumb argument.

If they were interested, one couldn't tell by their performance. I suppose they could have just really been that bad.

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

NFL Gamepass is free to access right now. Go watch his starts again - started rocky but with signs of improvement and then got better and better. Eagles and Giants games are right up there with some of the best QB play we have had in quite a while. 

Again I get the concerns. Totally reasonable. But you can’t ignore the good anymore than you ignore the bad. And the good was what he ended on.

More specifically, watch the All-22 film. It’s boring, but it’s worth it to get a true understanding of how he, and the offense around him, truly performed. 

• Thanks 1

There a lot of ES folks, who I very much respect, suggesting I sip the Kool-Aid about Haskins being the long-awaited franchise QB for the Skins.  There are claims how Haskins really came into his own at the end of the season and that he showed enough to convince the Skins brass that they didn't need to spend a high draft pick on another QB, or even to pursue a serious challenger to Haskins.  People are providing all kinds of feeds showing how good Haskins was, and how hard he's improving himself, etc.,etc.

Candidly, I'm not sold on Haskins, and have never been a fan of Ohio State QBs, especially one with such a short college history.  I thought Haskins was one of the better QB prospects coming out of a less-than-stellar crop of QBs in the 2019 draft. But I wasn't that impressed with Haskins play on or off the field, although he did look decent against the suspect defenses of the Eagles and the Giants.  In short, during the 2019 season, I could see Haskins' raw potential and strength, but also his inaccuracy and maturity issues.

That said -- the Skins have to go with who they brought to the dance.  Now while I truly liked what I saw of Tua (especially the accuracy) --- inwardly, I know it's not logical for the Skins to use their only pick of the first two rounds on yet another QB.  

The Skins need to give Haskins a chance to develop, even if it means him getting benched a few times.  While Haskins may think he's already good enough to carry the Skins to lots of victories, I,suspect the reality is that he still needs more time to mature his skills to competitive NFL level.  Assuming Haskins is willing to really study hard, and to learn from whatever role he's put in (starter, game-manager, backup) coach Rivera should be able to groom him into an NFL-level QB, with a decent floor but also with potentially a very high cieling.

I'm not sold on Haskins yet, but it's very premature for the Skins to even consider going the Josh Rosen route.  So, use the number 2 pick on Chase Young, or trade the #2 for the chance to get top-tier OT plus a nearly top-tier FS, WR, or MLB.  I think Chase Young will be a great talent, but that's got to be weighed against the Skins' need to get serious about decent O-line protection, in order to find out exactly what they've got in Haskins.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

I think in order to allow Haskins to develop, they’re going to lean heavily on a rushing attack this year. They’ve collected a good stable of backs.

Old age formula - Strong defense / strong rushing attack (with play action pass).

Just missing that TE that can block and catch.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I think in order to allow Haskins to develop, they’re going to lean heavily on a rushing attack this year. They’ve collected a good stable of backs.

Old age formula - Strong defense / strong rushing attack (with play action pass).

Just missing that TE that can block and catch.

Where is Donny Warren when you need him

• Like 1
  • TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic