Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

The "narrative" about Haskins possibly overselling an injury was put out by members of the media because a portion of the fanbase would have accused Callahan of being a grand wizard in the KKK and that's the "real reason" why "he left Haskins in there".  We saw that same narrative with Shanahan and Gruden when it came to Griffin.  

Now me personally, I do think he was hurting.  But I don't think there's an agenda at play for people who think he may have oversold the injury to cover up terrible play.  He did the same thing with his "my wrist" excuse at that awful press conference.  

8 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

O line this year in the draft and Trevor Lawrence next year if DHack doesn't get it together by end of training camp. It will be interesting to see what he does during his off season.

I'm not sure we're going to go OL yet.

Keep your eye on the Trent Williams situation if Allen is removed. I think you may see 71 back on the field for this team in that situation. 

I still think they should have traded him when they had the chance for what was (likely) a first rounder. But now his value has tanked draft wise. The Skins are going to have 1 (maybe 2) years on Williams' contract, and Williams nemesis Bruce Allen could "retire".

At that point, Scherff and Flowers are both FAs. If they manage to get one of them back, there are two rookies (Martin, Piers) that could step in and play the LG spot. Christian is the depth at LT/RT (unless he supplants Moses). There may also be some FA options to shore up the line. If the BPA at the Skins selection happens to be an OL I'd be on board. But they wouldn't need to force the pick if TW is back (though its still a major need moving forward).

Quarterback, CB, ILB, Edge are all in play at that point as well.

Plenty of other QBs have limped around between plays. Hell, Tom Brady has done it for years after big hits. I don't believe for a second that Haskins was faking it. He got his ankle rolled on.

As for his performance, I'd say it's a strong bet that the Skins draft a QB as insurance, even if it's a lower pick.

1 minute ago, profusion said:

As for his performance, I'd say it's a strong bet that the Skins draft a QB as insurance, even if it's a lower pick.

The team doesn't need insurance. It needs a starting quarterback.

I'm ready to say, that right now, and in the near future (next season or two) that is definitely NOT Dwayne Haskins. He'd need to be absolutely meticulous and he'd need a great deal of maturity to improve enough this offseason to make that possible.

I'm not sure if he has it in him.

Over the next 2-3 seasons? Yeah. Maybe. Depending on how he moves forward with work ethic/maturity/coachability. But next season? I don't believe that's the case. And I'm sure that any coach hired based on qualifications and NOT because they are willing to let Haskins take the reigns will come to the same conclusion.

Haskins has been one of the absolute worst rookie QBs to play in a game this season... Along with Ryan Finley. He's a project, but this level of play is wild. 

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The "narrative" about Haskins possibly overselling an injury was put out by members of the media because a portion of the fanbase would have accused Callahan of being a grand wizard in the KKK and that's the "real reason" why "he left Haskins in there".  We saw that same narrative with Shanahan and Gruden when it came to Griffin.  

Now me personally, I do think he was hurting.  But I don't think there's an agenda at play for people who think he may have oversold the injury to cover up terrible play.  He did the same thing with his "my wrist" excuse at that awful press conference.  

Good grief.

‘Setting aside the injury for just a second - you think he was ‘terrible’ yesterday?

As to the injury it was real enough he was badly limping up the stairs to the changing room after the game with only CCTV to catch it.

Just now, MartinC said:

We disagree. And any objective film review is going to show a performance a long way from ‘terrible’.

Objective doesn't mean "agrees with MartinC", for the record. Because I completely disagree with you. And I do my best to remain objective, and I think I have a track record of that. So painting anything as an agenda simply because it disagrees with the narrative that you believe is actually fairly offensive.

You're allowed to believe opposite as I do, but trying to paint my views as not being objective simply because you don't agree is below you.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The team doesn't need insurance. It needs a starting quarterback.

I'm ready to say, that right now, and in the near future (next season or two) that is definitely NOT Dwayne Haskins. He'd need to be absolutely meticulous and he'd need a great deal of maturity to improve enough this offseason to make that possible.. 

Completely agree. The incoming coach is almost certainly going to want additional options not currently on the payroll. How they get those options is what'll be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Objective doesn't mean "agrees with MartinC", for the record. Because I completely disagree with you. And I do my best to remain objective, and I think I have a track record of that. So painting anything as an agenda simply because it disagrees with the narrative that you believe is actually fairly offensive.

You're allowed to believe opposite as I do, but trying to paint my views as not being objective simply because you don't agree is below you.

Nope. I totally agree it’s fine to disagree - we’ve done that many times.

I’m not sold on Haskins as a quality starting QB - I’ve said before and I will say again that we can’t make that judgement until the end of next season. But I also know what I’m looking at with regard to the QB position. And I will say that anyone who isn’t seeing incremental improvement from Haskins compared to his first start isn’t watching. 

Let’s take a very specific example from yesterday - what do you think was the cause of the interception he threw?

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Good grief.

‘Setting aside the injury for just a second - you think he was ‘terrible’ yesterday?

As to the injury it was real enough he was badly limping up the stairs to the changing room after the game with only CCTV to catch it.

I saw that on the postgame, thinking how dumb a stadium design that is.  

Just for the record, that's not CCTV footage; it's a cameraman. Out of view of any filming, the limp disappeared. Team doctors -- okay, it's the Skins' team doctors, but anyway -- moved on immediately from any thinking that there was an injury that required any further attention. He's fully cleared.

As far as the future goes, it was known that he needed coaching and development before even being considered a starting-caliber QB in this league. He is not there yet, which isn't a stinging indictment of the kid. He just needs more time. How much? That'll be up to the new GM and HC. If it were me, he wouldn't be starting, and I don't mind if people tell me that I "done messed up".

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I’m not sold on Haskins as a quality starting QB - I’ve said before and I will say again that we can’t make that judgement until the end of next season. But I also know what I’m looking at with regard to the QB position. And I will say that anyone who isn’t seeing incremental improvement from Haskins compared to his first start isn’t watching. 

Let’s take a very specific example from yesterday - what do you think was the cause of the interception he threw?

The main cause of the interception yesterday was the clock, there was no point in taking a sack so he tried force a throw that wasn't there.

I think a lot of the sacks he is taking are because of how he started earlier in the season & he is reluctant those make risky throws in general.

Yesterday I think there was regression in his work at the line, sorting out protection, working out coverages but on the flipside I actually think he was a lot more accurate. His figures obviously won't show it but his passes were between the receivers numbers much more as opposed to them having to work to catch every ball

1 hour ago, Bunny Kelly said:

The main cause of the interception yesterday was the clock, there was no point in taking a sack so he tried force a throw that wasn't there.

I think a lot of the sacks he is taking are because of how he started earlier in the season & he is reluctant those make risky throws in general.

Yesterday I think there was regression in his work at the line, sorting out protection, working out coverages but on the flipside I actually think he was a lot more accurate. His figures obviously won't show it but his passes were between the receivers numbers much more as opposed to them having to work to catch every ball

The eye in the sky does not lie. Go watch it back. As a clue here is what I live tweeted right after it happened. It was a brave throw going late in the progression that deep outside the numbers but he trusted his arm. If his receiver had done his job at worst it would have been incomplete.

I agree with you on protections though. At least two of the sacks were on him for missing overloads when he had to know he owned the free rusher and needed to throw hot. When he has protection he’s been much better with his feet and eyes being in synch and that’s lead to much better accuracy. But he’s not processing fast enough to recognise pressure before it happens.

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

4 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

I actually completely agree with Bunny's assessment.

He was more accurate this week, that much I agree with. Ironically, it came on the week he had his legs rolled up on. He had his inaccurate moments, but the receivers were bringing in the passes more reliably as well.

In short, to summarize my own thoughts on the pick, he tried to rely on his arm strength in that situation, it appeared as if his mechanics slipped and he wasn't completely sure where that DB was and/or the angle the DB was taking to the "high point" of the throw.

He didn't want to take another sack, because 1) he was tired of getting sacked and 2) it kills any potential play.

So instead of making the veteran move, he forced a throw thinking he could beat the coverage and keep the drive alive instead of throwing it away and living to fight another day.

He's not a vet, he is a rookie, and he will make those mistakes.

But that's how I diagnose the interception.

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yes.  In every sense of the word.  Terrible.

Then I really don’t know which game you are watching or how you are defining ‘terrible”.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But that's how I diagnose the interception.

And we disagree again.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The eye in the sky does not lie. Go watch it back. As a clue here is what I live tweeted right after it happened. It was a brave throw going late in the progression that deep outside the numbers but he trusted his arm. If his receiver had done his job at worst it would have been incomplete.

Just saw this.

Harmon does need to work back, but Harmon also knew where the coverage was (and as a rookie himself) didn't think there was a chance in hell Haskins was going to attempt that throw. He did.

Two rookies did rookie things on that play. Haskins and Harmon both need to learn.

It's not just Harmon who needs to do better in that scenario.

20 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I saw that on the postgame, thinking how dumb a stadium design that is.  

Its dumb if you dont consider the fact that Dwayne Haskins designed that stadium for the sole purpose of milking his "injuries". 

WAKE UP SHEEPLE 

12 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Just for the record, that's not CCTV footage; it's a cameraman. Out of view of any filming, the limp disappeared.

Just want to know how we know this so that when people at work ask me how I know I can have something to tell them. Help me out. 

Just now, KDawg said:

It's not just Harmon who needs to do better in that scenario.

It’s almost never one thing. But that throw was the right place, if his receiver does his job at worst it’s incomplete. And late in the half, from the position of the field the throw is made, trying to get into FG position I am 100% fine with the decision to make the throw. 

6 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Maybe Harmon could have done better but I'm not sure he goes with that throw if there was more time on the clock 

Time on the clock absolutely plays a part in the decision to be aggressive. That’s what you’d expect and want. No?

Just now, MartinC said:

Then I really don’t know which game you are watching or how you are defining ‘terrible”.

The one from yesterday.  And I would define terrible as being the least efficient and effective quarterback yesterday.  But hey, he's more mobile than we thought!

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1203839580513980418?s=20

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It’s almost never one thing. But that throw was the right place, if his receiver does his job at worst it’s incomplete. And late in the half, from the position of the field the throw is made, trying to get into FG position I am 100% fine with the decision to make the throw. 

If Haskins was throwing touchdown passes and made a few mistakes like that, I'd be more on board. But he's not. He's not taking calculated risks across the board. He's taking high risk plays in tough situations.

I am not a fan of his risk taking. It's too infrequent and generally in poor spots.

I'm glad we're having a real conversation about this, though, because I do respect you as a poster quite a bit. So this is a good talk.

Archived