Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, IrepDC said:

I'm scapegoating the team? You're in denial about how this team runs football operations. You're also taking the bait the team gave you to cover their usual messiness. This nonsense works in Washington because it works in Washington. Every year fans dump their negativity on players put in bad situations but you think the team is the scapegoat? Right. 

There are a whole lot of people in here, me included, who have been more than critical of the dumpster fire that is Ashburn. We are well versed in the usual FO tactics to poop all over guys on their way out the door and to make X player or X coach the scapegoat for teams woes and to control the narrative that all will be better with them gone.  

That said, I don't see this situation as similar to what transpired with prior regimes.  In this situation, the head coach made what should be a head coach's decision.  A decision based on the play we've all seen and the day-to-day that he sees and we aren't privy to.  

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Only in Washington do we talk like this lol any other team builds around a young QB. 

Yea, and most of them fail. Washington has a good history of that. Ron doesn't think developing Haskins is the way forward for his team. At least let him get his own qb and not be forced to develop someone he had nothing to do with. I think this is the first sign things are changing in DC. Ron not going to waste his time. I for one do not want to waste years trying to develop him. 

Just now, httr2020dynasty said:

Yea, and most of them fail. Washington has a good history of that. Ron doesn't think developing Haskins is the way forward for his team. At least let him get his own qb and not be forced to develop someone he had nothing to do with. I think this is the first sign things are changing in DC. Ron not going to waste his time. I for one do not want to waste years trying to develop him. 

We don't build or groom our QBs lol what are you talking about? We fail because we don't stick to the process ever and do things like this to win now. 

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

So was he given full control or not? You’re seeming to advocate Dan having control and major input on who starts. What could go wrong in that situation?

I'm advocating a coach sticking to his word. You're reaching.

I am not going to get into speculation and rumors. But I'm wondering, for people who think Haskins still deserves to start, please address the following:

1. Worst Starting QB. Both QBR and PFF have him as the worst, or one of the worst.

2. Mechanics are still all over the place. Lack of Improvement.

3. Scott Turner said he keeps making the same mistakes. Lack of improvement

4. Blowing off Davis--a veteran in this league who was trying to help him (as well as other rumors to this effect). Maturity issues.

What I can't see is improvement. The people that say he needs more time--what do you base that on?

Just now, IrepDC said:

We don't build or groom our QBs lol what are you talking about? We fail because we don't stick to the process ever and do things like this to win now. 

Sure we do, Gus Frerotte, Jason Campbell, RG3, Kirk Cousins... we've tried to build and develop around numerous qbs. We fail because we never have good qbs, not because we don't develop them. Ron isn't going to waste his time developing a bust qb. I think that is one of the best things I've seen in DC. Winning culture move. There is nothing winning culture about trying to develop a qb who turns out to be terrible.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There are a whole lot of people in here, me included, who have been more than critical of the dumpster fire that is Ashburn. We are well versed in the usual FO tactics to poop all over guys on their way out the door and to make X player or X coach the scapegoat for teams woes and to control the narrative that all will be better with them gone.  

That said, I don't see this situation as similar to what transpired with prior regimes.  In this situation, the head coach made what should be a head coach's decision.  A decision based on the play we've all seen and the day-to-day that he sees and we aren't privy to.  

If Rivera doesn't keep this energy across the board, watch how fast he loses the locker room. Remember I said that.

7 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Only in Washington do we talk like this lol any other team builds around a young QB. 

Worst part is, we maybe could've been a competitive team if Ron had decided this early on.  He could've added a couple of pieces and shot for the moon.  I thought part of the reason everyone was so accepting of the changeover in the roster (LT, LG, FS, RB) was because this is an evaluation year.  

If we're actually trying to win, or even thinking about trotting Smith out as a starter, cutting Peterson was short sighted as hell.  

Just now, httr2020dynasty said:

Sure we do, Gus Frerotte, Jason Campbell, RG3, Kirk Cousins... we've tried to build and develop around numerous qbs. We fail because we never have good qbs, not because we don't develop them. Ron isn't going to waste his time developing a bust qb. I think that is one of the best things I've seen in DC. Winning culture move. There is nothing winning culture about trying to develop a qb who turns out to be terrible.

We did not groom Campbell, RG3 or Cousins lmao they all had unstable HCs, OCs, and talent around them. If you think those are examples of building around a QB, no wonder.

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

To some extent yes but this team didn’t keep Trent Green and pushed out Brad Johnson who was coming off a Pro Bowl 4000 yard season

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

If Rivera doesn't keep this energy across the board, watch how fast he loses the locker room. Remember I said that.

Some positions don't have the luxury of having 2 backups behind them.  QB is the only position that touches the ball every offensive snap, barring the center.  Something tells me starting a QB who can't play has much more impact than a safety.

3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I'm advocating a coach sticking to his word. You're reaching.

His word was he would give him a chance. He did. I’m the one reaching??? Dude this horse is dead and you keep beating it. Haskins is done here and probably in the NFL. It’s over. Done. Fin. 

2 minutes ago, megared said:

Worst part is, we maybe could've been a competitive team if Ron had decided this early on.  He could've added a couple of pieces and shot for the moon.  I thought part of the reason everyone was so accepting of the changeover in the roster (LT, LG, FS, RB) was because this is an evaluation year.  

If we're actually trying to win, or even thinking about trotting Smith out as a starter, cutting Peterson was short sighted as hell.  

This is one of the most frustrating parts of all of this.  We are carrying over the 3rd most cap space into next year... and that doesn't include the waste of cap space from Alex Smith.  Haskins is surrounded by one of the least talented rosters in the league, and Rivera decided not to significantly upgrade that roster via FA because he wanted to "rebuild" and "evaluate".  Now he's judging Haskins based on wins and losses and how he performs with all the subpar talent around him.

2 minutes ago, megared said:

And thats my biggest frustration and why I lovingly refer to Ron as Indecisive Ron now. If he wanted Allen to start, do it from day 1. This phony competition is only fooling fans who wanted Haskins out anyway. Everyone else sees this was a weird way of going about things. Louis Riddick, another great football mind and someone many wanted as our GM, is grilling our organization over this and rightfully so.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am not going to get into speculation and rumors. But I'm wondering, for people who think Haskins still deserves to start, please address the following:

1. Worst Starting QB. Both QBR and PFF have him as the worst, or one of the worst.

2. Mechanics are still all over the place. Lack of Improvement.

3. Scott Turner said he keeps making the same mistakes. Lack of improvement

4. Blowing off Davis--a veteran in this league who was trying to help him (as well as other rumors to this effect). Maturity issues.

What I can't see is improvement. The people that say he needs more time--what do you base that on?

To me, I'd add the work ethic stuff.  My optimism about him before the season was driven by him supposedly doing a 180 on that front, and working hard.  But if they are indeed questioning him on that front again, that's the kicker for me. 

And for those saying he's been accused of being lazy, that's not how i take it.  Every player works hard.  But for the Qb position, going back to the Arians book I read, most QBs to succeed need to be animals as to work ethic.  As Les Carperter said last night, what he got from his sources there was they were suprised he was squandering this opportunity via lack of preperation once he was given the starters job. 

I know a few here suggest all of this could be just made up.  But every guy from what I recall who covers this team talked about this issue last year.  It's not some odd conspiracy.  There was rumbilngs about Haskins on this front before the draft too, I posted those articles.

So if you think a dude has a lot to work on AND you don't think he will put in the time to rectify it.  That's a strong IMO double hit. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Some positions don't have the luxury of having 2 backups behind them.  QB is the only position that touches the ball every offensive snap, barring the center.  Something tells me starting a QB who can't play has much more impact than a safety.

And still if your message is accountability, but its not across the board, you'll lose the locker room. Also a bum starting safety in this passing league will get exposed week in and week out- like we are seeing. 

4 minutes ago, megared said:

I just don't understand the disconnect here. It still is an "evaluation year". He's evaluating whether Haskins or Allen can be the placeholder qb while he finds his permanent qb. Nothing has changed for the process with Allen at qb. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Ron came in to this believing or needing Haskins to be the franchise qb. That's just you guys assuming that.

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm not arguing with someone who thinks wins are a QB stat.

Yeah, that's like saying Matt Cain (S.F. Giants) was a terrible pitcher with years like:  7-16 (32 starts), 8-14 (34), and then got coached-up to mediocre: 13-11 (33), and 12-11 (33).  Pretty misleading when his corresponding ERA for those 4 seasons were:  3.65, 3.76, 3.14, and 2.88.  When your starter has a 12-11 record in 33 games despite a 2.88 ERA, it's pretty clear that wins is NOT a sufficient stat.  The S.F. sports media coined the phrase "getting cained" to refer to a pitcher who goes something like 7 innings, 2 ER and loses the game 2-1,  regularly.

3 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I just don't understand the disconnect here. It still is an "evaluation year". He's evaluating whether Haskins or Allen can be the placeholder qb while he finds his permanent qb. Nothing has changed for the process with Allen at qb. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Ron came in to this believing or needing Haskins to be the franchise qb. That's just you guys assuming that.

Evaluation YEAR.  Not evaluation 4 weeks.  He's clearly changed his mind on this being an evaluation year.  He literally told us that.  His mindset has changed to "win now".

Archived