Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I found this video and the guy makes some good points. He is just a guy, so fair enough he is not some great NFL guru. But he has enough knowledge and makes some good points. He shows where as the season went along Haskins did a good job of feeling pressure and stepping up and making a play. One of the more impressive things is him going to his left and still being able to throw a dart with that awkward body alignment. That's a hard throw to make and he did it several times. It also shows him looking downfield even as a play is falling apart. 

He has a lot to work on so this is not an attempt to say he is a done deal. He made some really head scratching plays last year (jump ball anyone?). And yes, he has some mechanics issues but honestly that does not worry me at all. What i want to see is his decision making improve. And if you look from game 1 to his last game his decision making showed great improvement. It's why his early passer ratings were in the 40s or 50s but the last 2 games both were above 100. He makes another good point that Haskins still has more HS snaps than either college or the pros - and i will add it's likely he has more HS snaps than college and the pros put together. 

The major statement I agree with him on is that I am much more concerned with what a rookie QB can do well than what he struggles with. And he showed some really great instincts as he got more familiar with the offense. I think everyone agrees he has a great arm. He made some really jaw dropping plays coming down the stretch. The things he needs to work on are all very fixable. Will he put the work in? I guess based on some reports that's the real question. 

I also agree with his final assessment of what the Skins should do at #2 - take Young and see if Haskins comes along. If he bombs look for your QB next year. He has a very high ceiling. I hope he reaches it. Nothing could be better for the team long term. 

Given that the most common critique of Haskins seems to be his footwork and his mechanics, I would like somebody to get hired that is ahead in that area. Maybe not an arm strength guy or an accuracy guy or any of those specifics, but the same way I want Zampese, Turner and Smith to all help with Haskins, I want the backup to also be somebody he can rely on in that department. Who is that? I don't know because I'm not a mechanics guy but if thats what needs to be improved hopefully we can get somebody who can do it on the field which can help him in a different way from hearing it from different people. 

On 3/15/2020 at 4:33 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Wonder what some would say if Haskins did

We would never hear the end of it here.  The chain is hideous too.  I don’t even believe Kyler Murray really likes it.  It’s one of those things you have, just to say you have it.

13 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Given that the most common critique of Haskins seems to be his footwork and his mechanics, I would like somebody to get hired that is ahead in that area. Maybe not an arm strength guy or an accuracy guy or any of those specifics, but the same way I want Zampese, Turner and Smith to all help with Haskins, I want the backup to also be somebody he can rely on in that department. Who is that? I don't know because I'm not a mechanics guy but if thats what needs to be improved hopefully we can get somebody who can do it on the field which can help him in a different way from hearing it from different people. 

Dan loves Haskins, Rivera loves Cam, Turner loves Tua. 

I've been wrong before, but I think all the Cam rumors are nonsense. Cam's old, injury prone, and in serious skills decline. Plus, if we are worried about Tua surviving our line I would fear the same with Cam. On top of that, are we really going to take on Cam's cap plus Alex's cap? I know it's offseason and people are bored and like to daydream, but sheesh.

Just remember with all this Cam talk how so many expected Rivera to sign all these Panther free agents. Hasn't happened yet.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've been wrong before, but I think all the Cam rumors are nonsense. Cam's old, injury prone, and in serious skills decline. Plus, if we are worried about Tua surviving our line I would fear the same with Cam. On top of that, are we really going to take on Cam's cap plus Alex's cap? I know it's offseason and people are bored and like to daydream, but sheesh.

Just remember with all this Cam talk how so many expected Rivera to sign all these Panther free agents. Hasn't happened yet.

I would see the Cam link as nonesense. As soon as Rivera signed here, I put Cams name out there. I would wager that Rivera would love to get him here.

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

Dan loves Haskins, Rivera loves Cam, Turner loves Tua. 

This place would be great if...

Sign Cam

Sign Clowney

Trade Haskins

Draft Tua

Pass on taking Young

Haskins had a coach who didn't really want him, 3 rookie WRs (McLaurin, Sims, Harmon), an undrafted rookie TE (Hentges), a couple of other meh WRs (Richardson, Quinn), an okay TE (Sprinkle) and a soon-to-retire 35 y/o TE on IR (Davis) with the other injured starting TE (Reed) missing the entire season. That, plus a 34 y/o starting RB, a meh OL with an elite LT sitting out in protest.

I think he did pretty damned well. Build around him and see what he can really do. Either take Young and fill the rest of the needs on offense later, or trade down and fix the OL/TE/CB/FS spots.

Replacing Haskins at this point shouldn't even be on our minds, UNLESS Rivera absolutely HATES him as a player.

Even then, another rookie is going to go thru similar issues, unless we sign ANOTHER vet starter, any of which is still going to need serious help around them.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

This place would be great if...

Sign Cam

Sign Clowney

Trade Haskins 

Draft Tua 

Pass on taking Young 

One step forward, ten steps back eh?  That does seem to be how the Redskins operate.  Such a nihilstically horrible offseason would cause me to give up on a front office rebuild  faster than I ever have, and I figured out Bruce and Shanahan were turds pretty quick.

21 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Alex Smith. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So Joe Flacco just got released.  His next contract (if he gets one) will be pretty cheap.  He seems exactly like the non-threatening veteran QB that can push Dwayne to work harder.  Provide "QB Competition" despite not actually...you know, being good enough to compete.

Only thing about that is Flacco would SMOKE DH in a real competition.  There is no NFL QB you can bring in that wouldnt be "threatening" to "Simba"  and his sensitivities, now word on the street is the Redskins cant land a quality WR because they do not want their careers to die at the hands of Danny and his sons HS buddy Simba.. What a situation :(

51 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Only thing about that is Flacco would SMOKE DH in a real competition.  There is no NFL QB you can bring in that wouldnt be "threatening" to "Simba"  and his sensitivities, now word on the street is the Redskins cant land a quality WR because they do not want their careers to die at the hands of Danny and his sons HS buddy Simba.. What a situation :(

Reaching, sir. 

Every QB feels threatened when their franchise brings in a QB, especially a young QB. Long history of even the all time greats feeling threatened.

How one manages the threat is up to that individual. 

3 hours ago, ggarriso said:

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

giphy.gif

I'm really not worried about those rumors.  We have 2 really really good WRs in McLaurin and Sims.

Sims is a target monster and McLaurin is just a very well-rounded WR.  We also have Harmon who is very hunger as well.

I would much rather miss out on the Paul Richardson's of the world and stick with the group we have.  We are guaranteed to find another diamond in the draft, especially at the WR position.  Haskins has put in work and I think it will show.  Priority #1 is getting a LT to protect him.

Archived